Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Affi posted:

Trying Killing Eve on for size and its really not very good. Its like a poo poo show. Why did someone recommend it?

Because a lot of people think it's really good but maybe your tastes differ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Affi posted:

Trying Killing Eve on for size and its really not very good. Its like a poo poo show. Why did someone recommend it?

I wouldn't say it was bad, but it sure isn't presitage level. For me Jodie Comer's performance and some of the first episodes were pretty good, but in the end it felt super messy. Still haven't watched season 2, but I plan to one day when there is nothing else to watch (which means probably never).

Edit: There was a lot of chatter about season 1, but I didn't hear much of any buzz about season 2. Does it fall short of 1?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 13, 2020

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

nate fisher posted:

I wouldn't say it was bad, but it sure isn't presitage level. For me Jodie Comer's performance and some of the first episodes were pretty good, but in the end it felt super messy. Still haven't watched season 2, but I plan to one day when there is nothing else to watch (which means probably never).

Edit: There was a lot of chatter about season 1, but I didn't hear much of any buzz about season 2. Does it fall short of 1?

the worst parts are worse and the best parts are better, but it suffers from not being the new thing anymore. It's still pretty good.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

How incredible was the episode with all the vampire cameos? Love that show

As incredible as getting Kayvan Novak and Matt Berry to be starring roles in a non-British comedy tbh

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
We've been watching You. I loved ep1, but hating eps 2-4, all the characters are unlikable and nothing interesting is happening. Plus I feel this guy is an unreliable narrator so what is happening may not really be happening.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Really surprised by the downer ending of Silicon Valley. Really like that they did that. Same with Veep.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Really surprised by the downer ending of Silicon Valley. Really like that they did that. Same with Veep.

The ending of Silicon Valley feels like they were setting up a movie or something.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Seemed realistic to me, particularly for tech, and really the only natural way the show could have ended. Some people move on, others keep on grinding.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wormil posted:

We've been watching You. I loved ep1, but hating eps 2-4, all the characters are unlikable and nothing interesting is happening. Plus I feel this guy is an unreliable narrator so what is happening may not really be happening.

Had the same experience. For me in picked up in the back half, and Season two was great. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the slog, but if you think you can get away with skipping to the finale, then just do that. I thought it was up to the level of plot and pace and slick black humour that the pilot demonstrated, but the next few did absolutely not.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

mystes posted:

I tried to watch it and I can't stand it. Stuff like CIA analyst immediately rejecting a candidate for saying that things are gray and telling him "no everything's black and white" in the first 30 seconds we see her when the show is obviously going to have an ambiguous ending. She also conveniently finds out that she has cancer right then, and I'm not sure exactly where they're going with that (either she will question her beliefs or the messiah dude will cure her) but I'm sure I'll hate whatever it is and it will be ridiculously lazy writing.

Re: The Messiah. Just finished it and I'm actually pleasantly surprised at it all. It's definitely the opposite of lazy writing even if it doesn't work all the time. Like it had its obvious TV evil tropes but they at least tried to make it go places. I can kind of see why critics panned it but I still enjoyed it.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 14, 2020

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mu Zeta posted:

It was a great ended, but man, what they did to Bighead. That was just heart wrenching.

Laurie’s ending was hilarious though. ”Yes, we have rats here also. They are..... dealt with.”

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Red Oktober posted:

It was a great ended, but man, what they did to Bighead. That was just heart wrenching.

What was wrong with being made President of Stanford?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

According to the show that institution is worthless :)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

nate fisher posted:

Is Jodie Comer the assassin? If so then yes she was a pearl in a sea of mediocrity.

It was a I felt a show that just wasn’t plausible. Our Mary Sue protagonist could sniff out the bad guys by just being in the same room as them and knew the murderers next step without ever explaining why.
One cop follows a super assassin through the streets of Berlin while not even attempting to call for backup (from real police) then goes into a rave trying to find her instead of like staying outside.

I mean show is full of these dumb things dumb people do and what’s infuriating is when it works.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

spookygonk posted:

Late to the ball, but just started S1 of Schitt's Creek.

Me too. I started it last week for the first time and I have become obsessed with it! I’ve already watched all the seasons through twice and now rewatching it again with my mom as well as watching the new season on PopTV. I can’t get enough. 😂

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Moira pronunciation of "baby" kills me every time, it's such a perfect encapsulation of the character.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Finished season 3 of Mrs. Maisel. Someone posted earlier about not liking the musical interludes and I didn't like em either. I also don't care about the ex-husband plot lines at all.

Watched s1 of You. Was not great but not terrible. Going to watch s2 sometime. I think I was expecting more stalker less relationship. I mean there was definitely stalking obviously. But I wasn't expecting an actual relationship.

Finished NewsRadio. Show was deservedly put out of its misery after s5. Funny stuff through 4 though.

I'm a couple episodes into Dave's World, a mid-90s family comedy starring Harry Anderson based on Dave Barry. But I've come to find out that the 4th season is unobtainable, so I don't know if I'll keep on.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

phosdex posted:

Finished season 3 of Mrs. Maisel. Someone posted earlier about not liking the musical interludes and I didn't like em either. I also don't care about the ex-husband plot lines at all.

I like Joel's plotlines but totally agree on the musical interludes. I'm sure someone (theater nerds? dunno) gets off on it, and I would have been fine with it if it was 15 second blips, but they dragged on and the music wasn't good enough to make up for it.

Still a fantastic show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The standup isn't good either in all the seasons

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Been rewatching SouthLand. God I miss this show. Fun, violent, smart, and secretly the funniest loving thing on television for years.

That said, I'm really hanging out for Season Three, when the show really gets going. Shame it was shot down before it had a proper ending, that final episode is such a loving downer. Surprisingly effective as the show's final statement, but loving dismal all the same.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Halfway through the first season of Friday Night Lights and it's pretty good so far. Not sure if I like the christian vibes it sometimes seem to have and can't figure out yet if the writer is religious or justreflecting smalltown life in Texas US but it's a minor annoyance for now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's the latter. FNL is a quality show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
tfw a guy with a rick and morty avatar complains about a female character being a mary sue

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Klaaz posted:

Halfway through the first season of Friday Night Lights and it's pretty good so far. Not sure if I like the christian vibes it sometimes seem to have and can't figure out yet if the writer is religious or justreflecting smalltown life in Texas US but it's a minor annoyance for now.

It would be unrealistic to NOT include that stuff, just as unrealistic as it would be to set a TV show in like medieval Europe or the modern Middle East and not include religion. It's a huge part of everyday life there. Just think of it as a portrait of a different culture.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Yea I get that, was just wondering if the writer was activily promoting baby jesus as well but after watching almost the entire first season I noticed this might not be the case. Great show really.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Describing Eve as a "Mary Sue" actually really fucks with what I thought I knew the idea of a "Mary Sue" was. Like, wasn't she a mess? I have to rewatch S1 and get around to S2.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Just finished watching Medical Police this weekend, which I thought was pretty funny. Loved the silly/stupid humour and hope there's another season.

Also finished watching On Becoming A God in Central Florida, which was enjoyable. Great performances from all the main cast.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
I couldn't get into Medical Police... Probably because Angie Tribeca set the bar so high

I've been binging Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime video. Science-fiction with strong Black Mirror vibes. I like it a lot.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Haven't seen Angie Tribeca. Will check it out sometime.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Tace Vim posted:

Haven't seen Angie Tribeca. Will check it out sometime.

It's a love letter to The Naked Gun/Police Squad. Leslie would have loved it!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Tace Vim posted:

Just finished watching Medical Police this weekend, which I thought was pretty funny. Loved the silly/stupid humour and hope there's another season.

I haven't started Medical Police yet, but I believe it's a spin-off of Children's Hospital which I loved.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Medical Police is very funny but I think probably it could have done with having 11 minute episodes like CH did

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
SouthLAnd. God I love the show.

But also: season three is so loving depressing. Just every character gets beaten down slowly over the course of three random episodes in the middle of the season. The episode where an abandoned kid begs Michael Cudlitz's permanently grumpy Officer Cooper to adopt him is the saddest loving thing.

Part of the reason I love the character is that he's permanently pissed off, but every so often a lot of genuine care breaks through the facade and you can see that he's just incredibly disappointed in everyone. And then he'll go back to harassing ladies in coffee lines.

I know Regina King got all the praise for the show, but all the show's core cast could loving bring it when the show needed them too.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Watched The Witcher. I found it fairly uneven but watchable. The first two episodes were very mediocre but I got into it from the third one on. It did feel disjointed all the way through and at some point I realised it was trying to be clever, but forgot to be interesting. I mean, whenever people are talking for more than a minute it is just tedious. You can really see Henry Cavill wants to be there and is enjoying himself, though, and I like the bard, but most of the characters and storylines are pretty much forgettable. It should be dumb fun but it's trying to be all epic and grand, I guess, but at its worst it's just a bit boring, never really bad or annoying.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Binged Comrade Detective on Amazon Prime Video. For those who grew up in the early 80's where pretty much all action movies were about the Red Scare, it's a hilarious concept. My wife went from "wtf are you watching?" to "this is amazing."

I thoroughly enjoyed Jean-Claude Van Johnson and Danger 5, mind you.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Just finished the 3rd and last season of Occupied on netflix. An excellent Norwegian show that starts off with an environmentally conscious Norwegian government stopping all oil and gas production that leads to Russia occupying and controlling Norway in order to secure EU/Russian energy supplies. It spirals from there and takes a deep dive into how Russia operates internationally through extortion and bribery. The invasion is for the most part bloodless and depends on behind the scenes manipulation by Russia of Norwegian politicians and officials. It's a scary show that parallels alot of real life events including Russian interference in American elections. Apparently, it pissed off Russia pretty badly. I highly recommend it.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Caught the first three episodes of The Outsider and drat is it well shot. Pretty entertaining as well considering I’m not a huge Stephen King fan. Worth a try.

Wangsucker 69 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 25, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

blackshreds posted:

Caught the first three episodes of The Outsider and drat is it well shot. Pretty entertaining as well considering I’m not a huge Stephen King fan. Worth a try.

It's no Maximum Overdrive, but it's very good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone seen Criminal UK on Netflix with David Tennant? Halfway through ep1 and can't get into it. Seems to be one of those shows where there is no such thing as evidence, motive, means, or opportunity, and the cops just grab the most likely suspect and try to make them confess guilt. Also the solicitor just sits there doing nothing. It reminds me of The Interview with Hugo Weaving but with bad acting. Edit, it gets better in the latter half but the first 20 minutes or so is a complete waste.

wormil fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
The UK one was pretty cool since they filled it with an all-star cast from all the UK cop shows and procedurals, but I think it's one of the weaker ones. France was definitely the most interesting and Spain was very ... Spain.