Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

idiotsavant posted:

I've been gaming on console for the last bajillion years and mostly using a chromebook. I think I'd like to put together a decent gaming desktop - Escape From Tarkov looks pretty fun in particular. I'm not looking for a specific build right now, more just a realistic target budget to save towards for the next 1-3 months. I'd rather land on the slightly more future-proof side of things compared to the more budget/faster obsolescence side if possible. Given I need everything including a monitor, is something like $1500 a reasonable budget, or does the monitor push things up more?

edit: not sure if 24' or 27" monitor would be better; viewing distance is about 32-36" from screen (tho I know that's more suited to the monitor thread)

The big x factor there is the monitor, as it can affect the other requirements but they can also range from a decent 125 to a grand if you go nuts.

1500 is pretty good though. You can easily adjust or get upgrades later too. Things like a second monitor, larger SSD, and mechanical keyboard if you wanna go down some rabbit holes are easily put off till later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is there something I am not seeing? I am updating the sample build post but I cannot for the life of me find the 1600 AF on pc part picker

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

MikeC posted:

Is there something I am not seeing? I am updating the sample build post but I cannot for the life of me find the 1600 AF on pc part picker

It doesn’t have a page yet, and the only place I’ve seen it available for $85 online is Amazon. Stock disappeared pretty quickly, but it looks like some marketplace sellers have it back up for $85 now.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

2 things

What's the price delta there between a 1tb ssd and your somewhat outdated arrangement of boot ssd and spinner?

I would probably also see what other cards compete with that 580 on price. I know it's aus but that card is old and 300 even in kangaroo kash sounds bad.

Otherwise looks good, not knowing aus price differences.

The only stuff I keep on spinning drives now is photos and videos/Plex type poo poo. Not a single game or program has spun since we got to $100:1tb or less in USA

I also personally think building a gaming machine with less than 2tb in 2020 is a pretty big mistake unless you play very few games or don't mind deleting or shuffling (I mind)

Call of duty , as an example ,is 120gb

There's a Samsung 860 1TB SSD for $149. I'd probably be willing to pay that extra for it vs my planned setup but I do keep a lot of photo's/videos around.

Most of the GPU options at that price range are pretty bad. Thread said high VRAM was good so I went with it since it was the cheapest 8GB VRAM I could find. The site's doing a sale for a RX590 8GB (Gigabyte Radeon RX590 8GB Graphics Card (Rev 2.0)) so I can grab that instead.

It's been so long since I've played anything resembling modern games on my PC so I'm a little out of touch with sizes. I've got an portable hard drive I can move stuff to in the worst case though if I need to shuffle things around though.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

looking for some recommendations on a nice roomy ATX case with really good airflow/fan cooling? my case is like a decade old and the fans are rattling excessively at this point.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bob NewSCART posted:

looking for some recommendations on a nice roomy ATX case with really good airflow/fan cooling? my case is like a decade old and the fans are rattling excessively at this point.

Here's a bunch of good ones:

Scruff McGruff posted:

Most of the $70-$120 mid-tower cases will fill these requirements so take a look at some of these and see if any jump out at you.

-Phanteks P400a (non digital), recently named Gamers Nexus' best case of 2019.

-Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, a bit pricier than the P400a but very modular so you can set it up however you want it.

-Fractal Meshify C, the usual case recommendation in this thread.

-Cooler Master H500, I just built my new gaming rig in this and it's great (if you can get it for $100).

-Lian Li O-11 Dynamic/Air, tons of space. Get the Dynamic if you are going to watercool, the Air if you're not.

-NZXT H510, pretty much the definition of "Standard Case" in the current lineup of modern cases.

In general look for cases with mesh front panels, solid front panels kill airflow. Gamers Nexus has good case reviews on their website and their YouTube that are handy if you see a case you like.

If you want really big the full size Enthoo Pro is huge and quiet and not too pricey but big.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Another cost effective option if you're satisfied with your current case other than the fan noise would be just replacing the fans. I recently replaced all the fans in a very elderly PC with Noctua NF-P12s and it made a massive difference.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I want to build a sff case out of an ammo can

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUQt8r6jAIE

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
My old computer's blue screening. And I figure rather than check piece by piece to figure out what isn't working, I have a job, I'll just replace it. I have seemingly-working RAM (2x8 sticks from 2016, I don't mind buying more if that turns out to be the issue but it's passed brief memtests and I'm running a longer one now) and I'm fine hanging onto my old GTX 970. I have two brand new SSDs and an old case that'll fit everything because it's a full form factor.

So I figure I need a new mobo/cpu and a power supply and that's it. Am I missing anything obvious compatibility-wise here?
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Questions I have:
650 W going to be enough power?
There's no reason I can't use my old RAM, right? It's DDR4 3200 so it doesn't seem to have obsolesced yet but I'm really awful at figuring things like this out.
Realistically, I don't give a poo poo about overclocking or anything, I've never needed to eke out 10-20% more performance to actually run something. I'm happy to just turn graphics down if I really need to. Am I aiming too high on the specs given that? I'd love to be able to just not worry about anything until a part mechanically fails, that's basically my only aim to "futureproof".

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My old computer's blue screening. And I figure rather than check piece by piece to figure out what isn't working, I have a job, I'll just replace it. I have seemingly-working RAM (2x8 sticks from 2016, I don't mind buying more if that turns out to be the issue but it's passed brief memtests and I'm running a longer one now) and I'm fine hanging onto my old GTX 970. I have two brand new SSDs and an old case that'll fit everything because it's a full form factor.

So I figure I need a new mobo/cpu and a power supply and that's it. Am I missing anything obvious compatibility-wise here?
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Questions I have:
650 W going to be enough power?
There's no reason I can't use my old RAM, right? It's DDR4 3200 so it doesn't seem to have obsolesced yet but I'm really awful at figuring things like this out.
Realistically, I don't give a poo poo about overclocking or anything, I've never needed to eke out 10-20% more performance to actually run something. I'm happy to just turn graphics down if I really need to. Am I aiming too high on the specs given that? I'd love to be able to just not worry about anything until a part mechanically fails, that's basically my only aim to "futureproof".

650w should be plenty for your build. The RAM should be fine to carry over. Also, since you're going with a 2000 series Ryzen chip you don't have to go with a MAX board, you could see if anyone has a non-max Tomahawk for a discount and pick that up.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Fwiw you're basically building a machine I have myself (identical psu even, same Mobo except the matx non max version )

I don't use it a ton as an actual PC but it's been extremely reliable as a Plex etc server. I do game on it occasionally and it's been very good in that regard as well, not a ton of difference between an Intel i7 imo

Also I feel like swapping your PSU in your current build has an 80% shot of fixing your problem , if you're gonna buy one anyway and keep .. basically the rest

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Statutory Ape posted:

Also I feel like swapping your PSU in your current build has an 80% shot of fixing your problem , if you're gonna buy one anyway and keep .. basically the rest
Yeah, that's part of what I'm hesitating for. It's mostly FOMO in that I will feel real stupid if I buy a PSU and it turns out to be something else and I have to buy more stuff.

Scruff McGruff posted:

650w should be plenty for your build. The RAM should be fine to carry over. Also, since you're going with a 2000 series Ryzen chip you don't have to go with a MAX board, you could see if anyone has a non-max Tomahawk for a discount and pick that up.
Just going with the actual "new" prices on pcpartpicker it's a $3 upcharge for the max vs non-max, so I figured gently caress it, but it's a valid point.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Bit of a long shot but does anyone know if the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition with the double fans will fit on an ASRock B450 itx board with Crucial Ballistix ram? Is the double fan even worth getting to cool a 1600AF? It's going in a QB One so I'm worried the stock cooler might not be much use.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Not entirely sure on the fit but one fan will be perfectly fine.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Anyone else run into random cold boot issues? I usually turn on my computer and go grab a drink or something and when I come back the computer basically crashes. Once in a while I'll see some graphics errors in the system event logs, and once last night it got stuck on the BIOS loading screen (this is a Tomahawk Max on the latest BIOS).

I turned off the hibernation setting (not sure what it's called now) in Win10 and it hasn't happened since, but it looks like there are quite a few reports about this motherboard coming back from standby and crashing..

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lungboy posted:

Bit of a long shot but does anyone know if the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition with the double fans will fit on an ASRock B450 itx board with Crucial Ballistix ram? Is the double fan even worth getting to cool a 1600AF? It's going in a QB One so I'm worried the stock cooler might not be much use.

The 2 fan setup is extremely not worth it on that cooler. Doubling up the fans boosts static pressure. A tower like that, with a narrow stack of not particularly dense fins, really doesn't get much from the increased pressure. Air gets through pretty well with just 1 fan.

Arctic tower heatsinks aren't awful, but their main virtue is cheapness. I had one when AM4 first came out and other companies were slow off the mark to get AM4 support, it was fine. Though I did put a different fan on it. Buying the esports edition with black paint and 2 meh fans that increase noise without much cooling improvement seems like a waste. Or if the epsorts edition is the exact same price as a 1 fan version, pull the 2nd fan off and keep it as a spare.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

it’s been a while since the last time i’ve built a rig, so i’m just double-checking for any brands to avoid with any of the major components or brands to look out for? G.Skill has some solid memory as far as speed/price goes but i don’t know if any of these brands have had their reputations/quality change since building last.

thanks for the case recommendations by the way!

definitely like the look of the fractal and the cooler master. i realize it’s probably overkill but i like the peace of mind that comes from having some solid fans moving the air around, i have a coolermaster... sniper i believe is the name, and its got a 120mm top, and a 200mm on the front and bottom so it’s weird seeing cases without any fans(as far as i can tell)

Bob NewSCART fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 14, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Bob NewSCART posted:

it’s been a while since the last time i’ve built a rig, so i’m just double-checking for any brands to avoid with any of the major components or brands to look out for? G.Skill has some solid memory as far as speed/price goes but i don’t know if any of these brands have had their reputations/quality change since building last.

thanks for the case recommendations by the way!

I see what you’re trying to do here and this varies from component to component to a degree. I personally like EVGA for PSU and GPU because they have really good warranty and service

Even some of the same companies depending on product line should be avoided or praised, etc.

Mostly, though, sticking with a name you know like asus, evga, msi, gigabyte, etc is a safe bet if the stuff has good reviews and fits your price tho. Feel free to ask about individual components here or in the component specific thread, ie gpu thread etc.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

I see what you’re trying to do here and this varies from component to component to a degree. I personally like EVGA for PSU and GPU because they have really good warranty and service

Even some of the same companies depending on product line should be avoided or praised, etc.

Mostly, though, sticking with a name you know like asus, evga, msi, gigabyte, etc is a safe bet if the stuff has good reviews and fits your price tho. Feel free to ask about individual components here or in the component specific thread, ie gpu thread etc.

cool, this is what i figured and i’ll definitely double check with you guys and get some proper expert advice before i pull the trigger on anything

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Does anyone here have any firsthand experience with putting an EATX board in a Fractal Design Define R6? According to Fractal Design’s website it should fit just fine, but the particular ASUS TRX40 motherboard I’m looking at apparently has a large active heat sink on the VRMs that interferes with the top mounted 140mm fans in the case. At least that’s what I’ve seen from one of like 3 reviews at Amazon and Newegg (which I’m guessing were written by the same person judging by the almost exact same wording of both reviews).

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Klyith posted:

The 2 fan setup is extremely not worth it on that cooler. Doubling up the fans boosts static pressure. A tower like that, with a narrow stack of not particularly dense fins, really doesn't get much from the increased pressure. Air gets through pretty well with just 1 fan.

Arctic tower heatsinks aren't awful, but their main virtue is cheapness. I had one when AM4 first came out and other companies were slow off the mark to get AM4 support, it was fine. Though I did put a different fan on it. Buying the esports edition with black paint and 2 meh fans that increase noise without much cooling improvement seems like a waste. Or if the epsorts edition is the exact same price as a 1 fan version, pull the 2nd fan off and keep it as a spare.

Thanks. I was mostly asking because it seems the one fan version is end of life and the Arctic page no longer sells them but links to Amazon where they don't have them either, and most other places are now out of stock too or are selling them at crazy prices. The two fan is still in stock however. They seem to have been replaced by the 34 but that's too tall for the QB one. I might just grab an H7.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Got all my parts and starting assembly tomorrow :dance:
Is there any reason for me to make a like ~100 gig partition on my (1TB) SSD to tame OS? I am upgrading from W7 and that one ate hdd space like nothing by the end.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Zedd posted:

Got all my parts and starting assembly tomorrow :dance:
Is there any reason for me to make a like ~100 gig partition on my (1TB) SSD to tame OS? I am upgrading from W7 and that one ate hdd space like nothing by the end.

IMO no, there's really no reason to reinstall Windows 10 regularly like past editions of Windows, and as long as you stay up to date each major feature release (the twice yearly ones where the version number changes) are essentially a total refresh of the OS. Keeping data on separate partitions does nothing to prevent data loss in case of drive failure. Win10 also has a built in "reset" feature which keeps all of your data but nukes the OS and apps.

If you really wanted to go down this route it's cheap enough that I'd just recommend buying a 256 or 512GB SSD for the boot disk.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Not entirely on topic but I have to send my whole tower back for a motherboard replacement and they sent me a box with a lot of empty space. I know the components are static sensitive but will I gently caress it up if i pack a load of plastic around the outside of the case for protection?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Hi thread, I'd like to mine the hivemind; sorry in advance for a long post. Looking to set up a Mid-high end rig for gaming, along with some video editing, potentially streaming, and generally being able to run a bunch of poo poo at once as needed.

What country are you in? Live in Taiwan. Also go to Japan a lot and will be checking prices for parts there in case somethings notably cheaper.
What are you using the system for? As noted gaming, video editing, etc. Also want to be able to run stuff at good speed and keep it quiet since the SO and myself share an office and don't want to inordinately disturb her.
What's your budget? Looking at ~1500 USD equivalent for the rig (but can afford to go a bit higher as needed; not all that price sensitive because to hell with money aye), also need monitors (two, one real big one, or one bigger for games, etc. along with a smaller one perhaps? I like having two monitors for excel fuckery and the like).
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Don't have monitors yet but need to consider these questions and open to suggestions. Would like to have some high refresh stuff for games.

Basic parts I have are as below. Went checking local physical stores in Taiwan and the prices I see are reasonable. Storage, memory and case will be picked from whatever's reasonable in stores/online.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
These are all part of a package.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card
Chose this because it's apparently super quiet which sounds good.

I chose the MB basically just because they have some package deals on CPU, MB, and power supply which I spot checked a few prices and the packages seemed cheaper than the combined prices online from PC part picker. Was looking at Ryzen 5 3600 before thinking to swing it for the 3700X so don't have the 3700X prices on hand but based on feedback going to go back and update with the prices I've got. Also in Taiwan you can haggle sometimes so might get a bit cheaper.

Also, I get a compatibility alert on PC part picker:

quote:

The Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.
Something I need to really be concerned about? The power supply is part of the aforementioned cheap package.
I searched a bit but see opinions on both sides: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1101768-x570-additional-4-pin-power-connector/

Should I get a new/diff motherboard and power supply? Stores here stock virtually only MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte so if there's any recommended in their lines I'm all ears.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Can anyone recommend a wireless mouse and keyboard combo that is good for gaming (low input lag?) but which doesn't look too "gamer"-y so I can have them in my living room without looking like a teenager?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Corsair k63 and Logitech 900 mouse are my living room wireless kb/m

Not too gamery , backlight shuts off on KB if wanted etc

Whether either or the Corsair lapdesk were worth it are a different story

Btw the lapdesk is comfortable af for couch gaming. I closet it when I'm not using it and am extremely comfortable being "a nerd" so ownership of tech peripherals that have a primary color included in paint scheme don't scare me lol

Particularly good for MMO/rpg games and playing RTS on a 55/65 inch rules lol

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Statutory Ape posted:

Corsair k63 and Logitech 900 mouse are my living room wireless kb/m

Not too gamery , backlight shuts off on KB if wanted etc

Whether either or the Corsair lapdesk were worth it are a different story

Btw the lapdesk is comfortable af for couch gaming. I closet it when I'm not using it and am extremely comfortable being "a nerd" so ownership of tech peripherals that have a primary color included in paint scheme don't scare me lol

Particularly good for MMO/rpg games and playing RTS on a 55/65 inch rules lol

My co-worker also uses the K63+lapdesk and says it's great. Not sure what he uses for his mouse.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Yeah it's crazy how effective a product it is. I didn't have much expectations going into it. Bought it intending to reverse engineer my own lol

10/10 if you couch game w kb/m

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks guys. Think I might be looking for something a bit more budget than the K63 actually - this is probably just going to be for some RTS games.

Lapdesks look cool though, didn't even think of that. I'm going to end up looking nerdier than ever.

Crayon Buffet
Jan 14, 2020
Hello everyone. My old computer is roughly five years old now and I flat out can't play new games on my rig. At least not anything AAA. I'm going to keep it for data storage or maybe give it to a kid. I thought about buying a new computer from one of the big box stores, but I'm interested in putting together a new one from scratch. Sounds like an adventure.

What country are you in? US.
What are you using the system for? Gaming rig for AAA games and uh...Audiobooks I guess. I want to be able to play Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out at at least high quality graphics and my rig can't do that. Poor guy.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Don't have monitors yet but need to consider these questions and open to suggestions. Would like to have some high refresh stuff for games. My current monitor runs 1920x1080 with a 60 HZ refresh rate. Honestly, I'm not too picky about graphics so long as the thing runs. Not that I don't want it, but if all you've had is truckstop coffee, you don't understand what it is to drink a nice cup that isn't over-roasted to hell and back. Too used to potato quality to be frank. If I don't like what I've got now I'll drop money on a fancy new monitor and run both at the same time.

My budget is in the $1300 to $1500 range, though if I could get it closer to $1300 that would be nice.

Parts:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor - $238.89 at present. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3WYLrH/amd-ryzen-5-3600x-38-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000022box

CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Max 55.78 CFM CPU Cooler- $37.32 at present. I'd like a yes or no on this as the price goes up by thirty bucks once the sale on Amazon is over. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8XX2FT/amd-wraith-max-558-cfm-cpu-cooler-199-999575

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard - $209.99 at present. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XV6qqs/gigabyte-x570-aorus-elite-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-aorus-elite-wifi

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory - $75.98 at present. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive - $146.47 at present. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yzfhP6/samsung-860-evo-1tb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-76e1t0bam

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card - Purchased this at $379.99 instead of the $419.99 it is now. So I'm building my system around it. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6kdrxr/gigabyte-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8-gb-gaming-oc-video-card-gv-r57xtgaming-oc-8gd

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case - $54.95 at present. And if I could get word on if this is a good value for what I get as the promo may expire soon, I'd appreciate it. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cTQypg/corsair-case-200r

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - $109.99 at present. Took the thread's advise and I'm not cheaping out on a power supply as I don't want my house to burn down. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2HbwrH/corsair-rmx-2018-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020178-na

I'm going to grab a key for either a windows 10 or windows 7 OS from SA mart as per lurking in the top threads for a week, can't remember which one. Lots of cool walkthroughs and links on this site to cool stuff and that probably saved me some cash. Also probably going to pick up office, but that won't be part of the budget as I can get that whenever. - $10.

And that's about it. I'm not really married to any part in particular if I can get the same quality and reliability for cheaper. This is baby's first PC build and save for about four hours of youtube tutorials on how to put a computer together and what does what, I'm not very educated about hardware. Software I can do all day, but hardware is a hole in my skillset. I'm interested and I want to tinker though.

I'm currently hovering over a selection of parts and looking for deals on them. I'm going to wait for about two weeks to a month before I actually build this thing so if I see a good deal, I'll grab it. So if I can get this to sub- $1300 through patience and diligence, that would be great.

Current price of everything on my list along with what I've bought is $1263.62. With tax I'm going up into the 1300's. So if people can help me shave prices down without sacrificing quality or keep me from making stupid mistakes, I'd appreciate it.

Crayon Buffet fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 15, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

fuf posted:

Thanks guys. Think I might be looking for something a bit more budget than the K63 actually - this is probably just going to be for some RTS games.

Lapdesks look cool though, didn't even think of that. I'm going to end up looking nerdier than ever.

ok I get you-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075M3YY18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thats my budget wireless gaming mouse rec. I have a cheaper wireless gaming KB and the wireless aspect isnt too reliable. amazing wired KB though lol.

My suggestion for your usecase would be probably whatevers clever in the $19.99-$35 range that has good reviews unless you kb macro a lot idk

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Crayon Buffet posted:

Hello everyone. My old computer is roughly five years old now and I flat out can't play new games on my rig. At least not anything AAA. I'm going to keep it for data storage or maybe give it to a kid. I thought about buying a new computer from one of the big box stores, but I'm interested in putting together a new one from scratch. Sounds like an adventure.

What country are you in? US.
What are you using the system for? Gaming rig for AAA games and uh...Audiobooks I guess. I want to be able to play Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out at at least high quality graphics and my rig can't do that. Poor guy.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Don't have monitors yet but need to consider these questions and open to suggestions. Would like to have some high refresh stuff for games. My current monitor runs 1920x1080 with a 60 HZ refresh rate. Honestly, I'm not too picky about graphics so long as the thing runs. Not that I don't want it, but if all you've had is truckstop coffee, you don't understand what it is to drink a nice cup that isn't over-roasted to hell and back. Too used to potato quality to be frank. If I don't like what I've got now I'll drop money on a fancy new monitor and run both at the same time.

My budget is in the $1300 to $1500 range, though if I could get it closer to $1300 that would be nice.

Parts:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor - $238.89 at present. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3WYLrH/amd-ryzen-5-3600x-38-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000022box

CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Max 55.78 CFM CPU Cooler- $37.32 at present. I'd like a yes or no on this as the price goes up by thirty bucks once the sale on Amazon is over. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8XX2FT/amd-wraith-max-558-cfm-cpu-cooler-199-999575

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard - $209.99 at present. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XV6qqs/gigabyte-x570-aorus-elite-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-aorus-elite-wifi

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory - $75.98 at present. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive - $146.47 at present. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yzfhP6/samsung-860-evo-1tb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-76e1t0bam

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card - Purchased this at $379.99 instead of the $419.99 it is now. So I'm building my system around it. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6kdrxr/gigabyte-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8-gb-gaming-oc-video-card-gv-r57xtgaming-oc-8gd

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case - $54.95 at present. And if I could get word on if this is a good value for what I get as the promo may expire soon, I'd appreciate it. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cTQypg/corsair-case-200r

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - $109.99 at present. Took the thread's advise and I'm not cheaping out on a power supply as I don't want my house to burn down. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2HbwrH/corsair-rmx-2018-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020178-na

I'm going to grab a key for either a windows 10 or windows 7 OS from SA mart as per lurking in the top threads for a week, can't remember which one. Lots of cool walkthroughs and links on this site to cool stuff and that probably saved me some cash. Also probably going to pick up office, but that won't be part of the budget as I can get that whenever. - $10.

And that's about it. I'm not really married to any part in particular if I can get the same quality and reliability for cheaper. This is baby's first PC build and save for about four hours of youtube tutorials on how to put a computer together and what does what, I'm not very educated about hardware. Software I can do all day, but hardware is a hole in my skillset. I'm interested and I want to tinker though.

I'm currently hovering over a selection of parts and looking for deals on them. I'm going to wait for about two weeks to a month before I actually build this thing so if I see a good deal, I'll grab it. So if I can get this to sub- $1300 through patience and diligence, that would be great.

Current price of everything on my list along with what I've bought is $1263.62. With tax I'm going up into the 1300's. So if people can help me shave prices down without sacrificing quality or keep me from making stupid mistakes, I'd appreciate it.

Have you tried putting your new GPU into your old computer? Or rather, what processor is in your old computer?

Crayon Buffet
Jan 14, 2020

ItBreathes posted:

Have you tried putting your new GPU into your old computer? Or rather, what processor is in your old computer?

I just bought it, so no. It should arrive in a few days.

My processer is an Intel(R) Core (TM) i5 - 6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.71 Ghz.

I assume that since my computer is about four years old now that some of these parts might be good for a budget computer, but that's it.

I also figure I should upgrade RAM from 8 to 16.

If I can get away with monkeying around with my current rig and squeezing a few more years out of it, that'd be great as I can apply that money elsewhere. But I'm pretty iffy on how much longer my current rig will last.

Crayon Buffet fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 15, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
edit: yeah with 16gb of ram and the new GPU your existing PC isn't terrible. The CPU isn't wonderful for certain games but it's not totally bad yet.

Crayon Buffet posted:

This is not a great cooler if you are getting a case that can fit a full tower heatsink. For 35 bucks get an arctic 34 or bequiet pure rock slim.

quote:

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case - $54.95 at present. And if I could get word on if this is a good value for what I get as the promo may expire soon, I'd appreciate it. - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cT...rsair-case-200r
Man putting a bit of extra money into a case is one of the best things you can do. Not a lot more money gets you noise-damped panels, better ventilation, 2-3 included fans, and way better QoL. You don't throw away a good case when you upgrade, you re-use it. (And get a crap minimum price case for the donation PC.)

quote:

Samsung SSDs are super overpriced on brand name, get a WD Blue or Crucial MX500 and put the savings into a better case.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 15, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The k63 keyboard kept causing my Xbox controller to not work on my last machine. Insanely frustrating and took awhile to diagnose. Not the only person to have the issue either.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=177551

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The k63 keyboard kept causing my Xbox controller to not work on my last machine. Insanely frustrating and took awhile to diagnose. Not the only person to have the issue either.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=177551

Ah yeah I would never have noticed that probably. I specifically and only use that kb for gaming. Any other function is done on a Logitech k400

Does it do it for ppl that have the official ms dongle too?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

LimburgLimbo posted:

Hi thread, I'd like to mine the hivemind; sorry in advance for a long post. Looking to set up a Mid-high end rig for gaming, along with some video editing, potentially streaming, and generally being able to run a bunch of poo poo at once as needed.

What country are you in? Live in Taiwan. Also go to Japan a lot and will be checking prices for parts there in case somethings notably cheaper.
What are you using the system for? As noted gaming, video editing, etc. Also want to be able to run stuff at good speed and keep it quiet since the SO and myself share an office and don't want to inordinately disturb her.
What's your budget? Looking at ~1500 USD equivalent for the rig (but can afford to go a bit higher as needed; not all that price sensitive because to hell with money aye), also need monitors (two, one real big one, or one bigger for games, etc. along with a smaller one perhaps? I like having two monitors for excel fuckery and the like).
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Don't have monitors yet but need to consider these questions and open to suggestions. Would like to have some high refresh stuff for games.

Basic parts I have are as below. Went checking local physical stores in Taiwan and the prices I see are reasonable. Storage, memory and case will be picked from whatever's reasonable in stores/online.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
These are all part of a package.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card
Chose this because it's apparently super quiet which sounds good.

I chose the MB basically just because they have some package deals on CPU, MB, and power supply which I spot checked a few prices and the packages seemed cheaper than the combined prices online from PC part picker. Was looking at Ryzen 5 3600 before thinking to swing it for the 3700X so don't have the 3700X prices on hand but based on feedback going to go back and update with the prices I've got. Also in Taiwan you can haggle sometimes so might get a bit cheaper.

Also, I get a compatibility alert on PC part picker:

Something I need to really be concerned about? The power supply is part of the aforementioned cheap package.
I searched a bit but see opinions on both sides: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1101768-x570-additional-4-pin-power-connector/

Should I get a new/diff motherboard and power supply? Stores here stock virtually only MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte so if there's any recommended in their lines I'm all ears.

3700x along with a 2070 super will push 1440p with turned up graphics no problem (whenever you choose your monitors). I actually just bought this exact setup (CPU and that specific GPU) and I absolutely love it. The card is definitely quiet. If you plan on streaming or multi-tasking with processor hungry applications, definitely get the 3700x. For CPU cooler I bought the scythe mugen rev B and it's also very quiet. If you are going for ultra quiet CPU cooler the Noctua NH-D15 is probably the way to go.

For PSU's we usually recommend seasonic's and a couple of the corsair models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

Ah yeah I would never have noticed that probably. I specifically and only use that kb for gaming. Any other function is done on a Logitech k400

Does it do it for ppl that have the official ms dongle too?

I had the issue with the dongle and Bluetooth. It’s some driver issue.