Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
For me, the Interior Ministry emphasizes how small Ashina is relative to the grand scheme of things. It's not being conquered by the actual army, it's being dealt with by what is just internal security forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Meanwhile I'm over here thinking it's a completely internal power struggle going on.

As in it's Ashina's Interior Ministry :v:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

It came up in another thread recently, but the whole "pulling your soul out of your rear end" thing is commonly associated with kappas and water. Drowning victims, uh, often have prolapses and that's where the myth comes from (please don't look up prolapse).

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 14, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bellmaker posted:

It came up in another thread recently, but the whole "pulling your soul out of your rear end" thing is commonly associated with kappas and water. Drowning victims, uh, often have prolapses and that's where the myth comes from (please don't look up prolapse).

We're goons we all know what that is

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Incidentally ThornBrain you did exactly the opposite of what I did with the Monkey Party: I saw them and thought "there's no way I'm not getting stuck in" and leaped into the middle of them, sword a whirlin

it ended badly

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You can anti-air desthnlow the monkeys when they do the bellyflop.
That is all.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Incidentally ThornBrain you did exactly the opposite of what I did with the Monkey Party: I saw them and thought "there's no way I'm not getting stuck in" and leaped into the middle of them, sword a whirlin

it ended badly
I just snuck up and flamethrower'd the poo poo out of them.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

anilEhilated posted:

I just snuck up and flamethrower'd the poo poo out of them.

Which is actually the official CDC sanctioned way to deal with large groups of heavily armed monkeys. After all, if they have guns, then they could also have rabies.

Best to burn the lot of them.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The backstory for this place is rough. Viewer discretion is advised. Don't worry, I kill all of them.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Why you aren't vacuuming loot from the dead? It's driving me cray-cray

Edit: Balloon of Wealth, but still cray-cray.

NHO fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 18, 2020

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
It's been said many times that the backstory is rough, but what exactly is rough about it? There are some sensitive topics I handle decently without a warning, and some specifically I'd need that warning. I'll ask under spoiler tags just in case: Is it sexual assault? Cruelty to disabled people? Torture and body horror?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I believe those statues are the who the sugars are named after.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

god please help me posted:

Cruelty to disabled people? Torture and body horror?

Decently sure of the first, oh yeah absolutely to the second.

So why did they yeet the kids anyway? Is it part of the ritual to gain immortality? Or will we find out later?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SSNeoman posted:

Decently sure of the first, oh yeah absolutely to the second.

So why did they yeet the kids anyway? Is it part of the ritual to gain immortality? Or will we find out later?

They didn’t intentionally yeet the kids, the other kids just died instead of becoming Immortal and then being able to share that immortality which the survivor doesn’t do anyway.

The Centipede thing is what they have and they were trying to upgrade by making a fake Kuro, which didn’t work and led to a bunch of kids getting sick and dying and the Divine Child living.

Wiseblood posted:

I believe those statues are the who the sugars are named after.

The sugars are named after the Headless that you fight, which is why you get the permanent versions of the sugars from the Headless.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Centipede Boy reminds me of those creepy guys in the Breath of the Wild shrines. Is that a Buddhist thing?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bellmaker posted:

Centipede Boy reminds me of those creepy guys in the Breath of the Wild shrines. Is that a Buddhist thing?

Yup
Sokushinbutsu
Monks who self mummify in pursuit of enlightenment. They stave and dehydrate themselves to death.

This method was popoular in ding ding ding Shugendo buddhism, which preached severe ascetism. The shugendo version of self mummification involved almost 10 years of subsisting on pine needles, resins and seeds from the mountain forests of its region, which leads the person to become severely emaciated with little if any fat, they then aim to die in meditation, leaving behind a wonderfully preserved mummy without the use of any preservatives.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is my favorite area in the game and the extremely hosed-up backstory is a huge part of it. The moment you figure it out hits comparably to Dark Souls' "oh, that's what I've been walking on at the bottom of New Londo".

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Ah, here we go :(
Why are From Software's worlds so messed up and depressing? They need to bring back whoever wrote metal wolf chaos for a game or two, just to lighten the mood.

So if the knight's son was murdered by the monks on the mountain, why is he hanging out with them and attacking Sekiro? Surely he'd want to be friends with the dude who just showed up and started wrecking everyone who had a hand in harming his son. (I have a feeling there's a reason that's logical and very depressing.)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Crazy Achmed posted:

Ah, here we go :(
Why are From Software's worlds so messed up and depressing? They need to bring back whoever wrote metal wolf chaos for a game or two, just to lighten the mood.

So if the knight's son was murdered by the monks on the mountain, why is he hanging out with them and attacking Sekiro? Surely he'd want to be friends with the dude who just showed up and started wrecking everyone who had a hand in harming his son. (I have a feeling there's a reason that's logical and very depressing.)

Robert was sick, the knight brought him along on the quest to find a way to heal him. They met the monks who took Robert to "heal him" and told the knight to protect them in return, then presumably they're just sandbagging and lying about the treatment taking a long time.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And you're a little wrong about the Robert's dad's armor.
The helmet isnt the part thats Japanese, its the arm and leg sections. He is wearing a very syncretic armor. Very European in form but very Japanese in execution, as if it was made to order but the armorsmiths, unfamiliar with European methods, chose to use their own.

The helmet is a cabasset, and many Japanese smiths adapted or utilized foreign designs.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
The facemask on the helmet looked fairly japanese

Also I believe that several japanese noblemen got given european plate armor as gifts from portugese traders and the like, and these were highly prised.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Lord_Magmar posted:

The sugars are named after the Headless that you fight, which is why you get the permanent versions of the sugars from the Headless.

Yes, and the statues are of them with heads.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So, with all the talk that's been done about this place's backstory, it has not (so far) been as bad as I was expecting. I mean, except for the descriptions of those pinwheels. Those are creepy as gently caress.

(I'm not, by the way, saying it's not dark and awful, just not as bad as I had feared/come to expect)

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I mean, we all seen Senpou assassins. You can't make that deformed shape from normal human without starting early and inflicting a lot of pain in the process.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

NHO posted:

I mean, we all seen Senpou assassins. You can't make that deformed shape from normal human without starting early and inflicting a lot of pain in the process.

I think the Senpou Assassins are actually implied to be some sort of spiritual being not related to humans? But I might be very wrong.

Anyway, it's worth noting that the Senpou Temple Monks seem to be at odds with the Ashina Clan too, given Isshin's disdain for their "rats" and the way they're clearly protecting themselves from the direction the Ashina would arrive from.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Just jump at them and kill them in the air, Thorn. They even told you in a hint.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Overlord 1 and 2 are both really fun games, 2 maybe more than 1.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

47 must have gotten his briefcase technology from those bomb monks.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
About enemy ninjas jumping to some places and not others, the way it's usually done is there's a navmesh which indicates what areas the NPCs can walk and it can have "off-mesh links" for things like jumps. Basically specific areas are marked as "you can jump from here to there".

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The double blade dudes are a huge pain in the butt. Good job dealing with them that well!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is one of those games that I'm never gonna remember the entire story for. Do those long - arm centipede bosses have anything to do with the immortal monk guys?

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
They might the results of Senpou experiments. They might also just be centipede-themed furries. In Ashina it could go either way.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
When you took out the first bomb-throwing monk, I had to go back and watch it again to see that there was a bomb thrown by another monk about to hit you. Because it looked like the one you killed exploded a second after you killed him. And a game like this giving enemies dead-man's-switch bombs wouldn't be out of place, I feel.

Also I had to go back to that deadpan "holy poo poo" a few times.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
At the beginning part to the level, you can totally backstab that monk on the deck without pulling him away. For some reason the guy looking right at you doesn't notice.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Does the game explain why the Infested text is in the water versus speaking with the monk directly? I don't understand why Ashina Castle would trigger a difference. Only thing I can think of is that the monk drowned himself.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Ashina Castle is just one of the game's passage-of-time points of no return. He's one of the immortals so he probably just threw it in the water to destroy it.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
What gets me about Senpou Temple is just how picturesque it looks. So colourful and cheery. It's like the one thing from a Soulsborne game that seems like a tourist destination.

So of course the Fromsoft story writers would go "haha, yeah, that's where they killed all the children."

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
To quote another excellent game:

Mountains'r nice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Morroque posted:

What gets me about Senpou Temple is just how picturesque it looks. So colourful and cheery. It's like the one thing from a Soulsborne game that seems like a tourist destination.

So of course the Fromsoft story writers would go "haha, yeah, that's where they killed all the children."

I didn't quite grok what was going on until roughly when I met a later NPC. made the bad feelings about stabbing all those "buddhist" monks go away, toot-sweet :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

RareAcumen posted:

This is one of those games that I'm never gonna remember the entire story for. Do those long - arm centipede bosses have anything to do with the immortal monk guys?

If you look closely, you can actually see centipedes crawling all over the two oldest monks, so they definitely do.

Donkringel posted:

Does the game explain why the Infested text is in the water versus speaking with the monk directly? I don't understand why Ashina Castle would trigger a difference. Only thing I can think of is that the monk drowned himself.

The monk didn't drown himself, but probably died of old age, just like his compatriot; his book was then thrown into the water as trash, much like the buddhist statues you see around it. As for why that happened...well, we won't see that for a while yet, but there's very much a religious conflict going on in the background. As a general rule, the closer you are to the waters, the further you get from Buddhism.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Anyway, it's worth noting that the Senpou Temple Monks seem to be at odds with the Ashina Clan too, given Isshin's disdain for their "rats" and the way they're clearly protecting themselves from the direction the Ashina would arrive from.

The monks are playing both sides: there are monks working for Ashina, but their assassins seem to be doing their own thing. Isshin's rats are different though: those guys are all from the Interior Ministry, who in turn have their hands in pretty much every pie.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 29, 2020