Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. the issue with him and big events(the whole western front/politics of ww1 and pacific theater of ww2 plus starting before invasion of manchuria) is he starts talking about the trees instead of the forest. like at some point you have to skip some stuff and pair it down.

Yeah, it's this. Honestly I felt like he was doing a really good job on the first supernova episode, and likewise on the second one until he actually got to Pearl harbor. Going through Nanking and Shanghai and all the assassinations was really useful to understand how Japan backed themselves into a corner and the story structure just came together.

Starting with Pearl harbor there were just too many moving pieces and he couldn't keep the structure together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

twerking on the railroad posted:

Yeah, it's this. Honestly I felt like he was doing a really good job on the first supernova episode, and likewise on the second one until he actually got to Pearl harbor. Going through Nanking and Shanghai and all the assassinations was really useful to understand how Japan backed themselves into a corner and the story structure just came together.

Starting with Pearl harbor there were just too many moving pieces and he couldn't keep the structure together.

i need to finish episode 2. his stuff gets too long for me at times. i am sure he tells it better than the book japan 1941 by Eri Hotta, its very good but its very very dry. i will say carlan for all his issues is great at telling a story.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

golden bubble posted:

In Our Time is good, but you should look for the episodes after the shows on the Industrial Revolution, which are pretty early in the series. Those are the episodes where the host gets confronted about his opinions on the British Imperialism, but things get much better after that. I really enjoy the rest of the series so far. On the opposite note, I've soured on the History Extra Podcast. I used to listen to every episode, but I found it feeling more and more Tory, so I've been skipping episodes for that podcast now. Lastly, the History of Philosophy without any Gaps is still amazing, but I can't listen to it casually. Philosophy has so many specific terms and unique abstractions that missing a minute or two can leave me totally lost.

Which episodes are those where Bragg gets shot down? I'd want to hear them.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's been a long time since I heard them, but I believe it's one of the two Industrial Revolution episodes.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

golden bubble posted:

It's been a long time since I heard them, but I believe it's one of the two Industrial Revolution episodes.

I never only heard a few of these, but op is right I think. Someone argues that it's the UK's kinda historical circumstances that puts it a position to develop first in here, and the host gets upset that innate Britishness isn't more highly considered.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't imagine listening to a six-hour episode of a podcast I only kinda like. I love the format of the Street Fight call-in shows, but 2.5-3 hours is too long for me.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Use smart speed settings to embrace the darkness and squeeze extra podcast minutes into your day! Look occasionally at the hours saved and be amazed and horrifed by how many hours of podcasts you listen to.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Use smart speed settings to embrace the darkness and squeeze extra podcast minutes into your day! Look occasionally at the hours saved and be amazed and horrifed by how many hours of podcasts you listen to.

I am getting close to 2000 hours of time saved by smart speed alone. It’s taken me since the day overcast came out in 2014 to get here.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What is smart speed and how do I do it on an Android phone

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

COOL CORN posted:

What is smart speed and how do I do it on an Android phone

it's removing the pause between words aka speeding up a podcast without changing the pitch

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

mike12345 posted:

it's removing the pause between words aka speeding up a podcast without changing the pitch

And I cannot stand it. Listening to podcasts at 1.1 or 1.2 speed (i increase it depending on my backlog) doesn't bother me though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

mike12345 posted:

Oh the smart silence trim thing. I haven't tried that yet, it's a good idea.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know why you want to speed them up. I already regularly run out of things to which to listen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I've already almost completely run through Fall of Civilizations (~1 hour into the Aztecs) just by listening to episodes while commuting. I already chew up podcasts at way too fast a rate to want to speed them up.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

When Diplomacy Fails will deal with that issue. It's a very informative podcast, though the creator is a bit dull and very centrist. You should skip the episodes before "A Masters Dissertation - Honour at Stake". The early episodes have a massive learning curve, and you don't miss anything since he eventually makes remastered versions of those episodes later on in the podcast. That said, this podcast allowed me to understand the shocking amoral mindset of European diplomacy, as well as the vital importance of diplomacy.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 14, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

kanonvandekempen posted:

And I cannot stand it. Listening to podcasts at 1.1 or 1.2 speed (i increase it depending on my backlog) doesn't bother me though.

I use smart speed (only 150 hours saved though) and 1.2-1.5 speed. It takes a bit to get used to it, but I find it works fine.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I listen to ~40 hours of podcasts a week I need less ways to run out of episodes not more. Also it's way harder to understand people without the gaps between words.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I’ve maxed out overcast’s speed settings each time as soon as Marco raises the max, but the notch past 3x was too much for me with smart speed on, I’m not surprised it only lasted a couple versions.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fall of civilizations podcast Easter island episode hit me hard. People are awful.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

golden bubble posted:

When Diplomacy Fails will deal with that issue. It's a very informative podcast, though the creator is a bit dull and very centrist. You should skip the episodes before "A Masters Dissertation - Honour at Stake". The early episodes have a massive learning curve, and you don't miss anything since he eventually makes remastered versions of those episodes later on in the podcast. That said, this podcast allowed me to understand the shocking amoral mindset of European diplomacy, as well as the vital importance of diplomacy.

Reminder that those remasters came out over the course of a month. Two a day.

He’s perfect for at-work listening, because you can afford to miss a bit here and there when the Versailles peace conference takes more than 85 45-minute episodes to get through

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

GodFish posted:

I listen to ~40 hours of podcasts a week I need less ways to run out of episodes not more. Also it's way harder to understand people without the gaps between words.

I'm at a similar number to you I think, roughly 34hours/week and I sometimes feel like I have a problem. I'm already picking video games I want to play based on how well they combine with listening to podcasts. It's mostly some stupid fear of missing out on interesting content I guess.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

kanonvandekempen posted:

I'm at a similar number to you I think, roughly 34hours/week and I sometimes feel like I have a problem. I'm already picking video games I want to play based on how well they combine with listening to podcasts. It's mostly some stupid fear of missing out on interesting content I guess.

Yeah I have/do this too. Maybe it's a new neurosis, podcast FOMO.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Seems like a good time for the OP to update with all the stuff that’s been recommended over the last 80+ pages

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Fall of civilizations podcast Easter island episode hit me hard. People are awful.

It's terrible what was lost there. I keep thinking of the image of one of the statues being moved to its place, with all the ceremony and pageantry involved. The half finished statues in the quarry are kinda eerie too for some reason.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

mike12345 posted:

Does it make Dan Carlin podcasts like an hour long or what

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 16, 2020

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I logged back into pocketcasts just because I remembered it being the funniest stat—apparently I saved 10 hours and 55 minutes by skipping silence. Hardcore History was the only podcast where I had that feature enabled.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

I logged back into pocketcasts just because I remembered it being the funniest stat—apparently I saved 10 hours and 55 minutes by skipping silence. Hardcore History was the only podcast where I had that feature enabled.

So it skipped 2% of the audio then?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

GodFish posted:

I listen to ~40 hours of podcasts a week

You are my hero.

What kind of podcasts do you like? I've found more good podcasts than I can possibly listen to, so maybe I've heard of some you haven't.

Century of sound
is a cool idea that I never, ever have time for.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I mostly listen to History Podcasts but informational ones are good too, and I've enjoyed listening to literary podcasts if it's something I'm familiar with. Some of the ones I've got are
History of Rome, Byzantium, of Philosophy without any gaps (+india/africa), of the Crusades, Revolutions, Imaginary Worlds, Twenty Thousand Hertz, The Dollop, The Allusionist, Making Gay History (strongly recommend this one), 99% Invisible, Our Fake History, Pirate History Podcast (I don't see a lot of talk about this one, it's pretty good), Tides of History, History of China, Inward Empire, History of English, Hardcore HIstory, Viking Age Podcast, Myths and Legends, Factually, The Movements, Nancy, Gender Reveal, Worst Year Ever

I've got the History of Persia on my list to hit and the British History Podcast.

I'll have to check out Century of Sound

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've read the Carlin book.

It's fine, but it's all material that you've heard if you've listened to those early stand-alone episodes - each of the chapters is a retelling of one.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

GodFish posted:

I mostly listen to History Podcasts but informational ones are good too, and I've enjoyed listening to literary podcasts if it's something I'm familiar with. Some of the ones I've got are
History of Rome, Byzantium, of Philosophy without any gaps (+india/africa), of the Crusades, Revolutions, Imaginary Worlds, Twenty Thousand Hertz, The Dollop, The Allusionist, Making Gay History (strongly recommend this one), 99% Invisible, Our Fake History, Pirate History Podcast (I don't see a lot of talk about this one, it's pretty good), Tides of History, History of China, Inward Empire, History of English, Hardcore HIstory, Viking Age Podcast, Myths and Legends, Factually, The Movements, Nancy, Gender Reveal, Worst Year Ever

I've got the History of Persia on my list to hit and the British History Podcast.

Can you name 3-4 of your favorites from that list

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

GodFish posted:

What’s the vibe of 99% Invisible? I’ve heard it advertised on Criminal a few times but haven’t listened yet.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

GodFish posted:

Pirate History Podcast (I don't see a lot of talk about this one, it's pretty good)

I subscribed to this a while back but hadn’t bothered to listen yet. I checked out an episode and while the info seemed solid the guy’s delivery has put this podcast solidly on my list of shows that are good for sleep listening. Which isn’t a bad thing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Bregor posted:

What’s the vibe of 99% Invisible? I’ve heard it advertised on Criminal a few times but haven’t listened yet.

This American Life-ish, I guess?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Welp, as of my drive to work today I've officially burned through all of Fall of Civilizations. Will definitely toss them some Patreon money, their podcasts are great and I love the presentation style.

Aztec episode was really good, I learned that I actually knew jack poo poo about them or the actual minutia of their war with Cortés.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Bregor posted:

Its very NPR but the topics are pretty interesting, usually have some history you probably don't know, even if its rather insignificant.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Can you name 3-4 of your favorites from that list

Probably The Dollop, History of the Crusades, Revolutions, and Worst Year Ever.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

GodFish posted:

Worst Year Ever.

WYE has cemented Robert Evans as probably my favorite modern journalist (well, between it and Behind the Bastards and It Could Happen Here).

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

WYE has cemented Robert Evans as probably my favorite modern journalist (well, between it and Behind the Bastards and It Could Happen Here).
It Could Happen Here is the scariest apocalypse fiction, and seems entirely plausible.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Worst Year Ever has given me a great theme song to sing to myself while reading the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Worst Year Ever has given me a great theme song to sing to myself while reading the news.

"Everything's so dumb dumb dumb du du dumb, and its gonna get dumber" runs through my head 5-6 times a day. It's the catchy, upbeat successor to the Matt Christman tweet.

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/822504053057929218?s=19