Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Ouch, yeah $90 might be too much. My FLGS will back campaigns that have retail tiers, I'd likely just do that. Plus, I get a slight discount if I order through the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
$100 is a bit steep but I'm apparently a sucker. I'm sure Oath will be different to PaxPam because it's LG but I waited for that and it worked out badly. I'll probably just pull the trigger to be safe.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
So Oath, Return To Dark Tower, and I believe there is one more big KS going live tomorrow? Yowzas.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

CommonShore posted:

I just ordered a 3d printer and printing new explorers is going to go on my list of things to make :woop: I wonder if anyone has already designed some? How should they look if I have to design my own?

It should be something singular, to reflect how they have 1HP/Damage (in keeping with the other invader pieces). Maybe a little compass? Or a sword/machete?

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Metal Coins, eh? Paging So Very Wrong About Games!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Krazyface posted:

It should be something singular, to reflect how they have 1HP/Damage (in keeping with the other invader pieces). Maybe a little compass? Or a sword/machete?

A little triangular tent?

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

This or a little campfire?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A pith helmet, a la the 19th century gentlemen explorers.

Yes i know it doesn't match the morion helmeted dudes

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I was thinking maybe a tin soldier would work - same general theme, but much more compact and sturdy. But, because of the fairy tale, good luck finding one with both legs.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Straight White Shark posted:

This'd be really good I think, matches up with the angular towns and cities well visually

Also now I want Dahan huts that are double pieces in some way to match up with the HP mnemonic. If I got a second set of huts I could saw 1/3 of each one off and glue them together into doublehuts maybe...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

xiw posted:

This'd be really good I think, matches up with the angular towns and cities well visually

Now that I think about it that might be more con than pro, I think having the explorers be very distinct from towns/cities does really help the readability of the board. Maybe this guy's idea instead?

Bodanarko posted:

This or a little campfire?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ceebees posted:

I was thinking maybe a tin soldier would work - same general theme, but much more compact and sturdy. But, because of the fairy tale, good luck finding one with both legs.

This was the way I was leaning - just a stumpier explorer instead of spindly guy who looks like Picasso's sketch of Don Quixote

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So Oath, Return To Dark Tower, and I believe there is one more big KS going live tomorrow? Yowzas.

Quoting my own post to say that tomorrow's third big Kickstarter is Foundations of Rome.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

SettingSun posted:

Marvel Champions is great so far, but FFG is really testing my patience with the shortage on expansion packs.

Is that more of a comment on the longevity of the current content, or just wanting more cause of how fun it is?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Codeacious posted:

Is that more of a comment on the longevity of the current content, or just wanting more cause of how fun it is?

C. - a complaint on the fact that FFG still massively underestimates demand for their games

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Bottom Liner posted:

C. - a complaint on the fact that FFG still massively underestimates demand for their games

Ah, dunno how I misread "shortage" to mean "not enough content". Gotcha. I've seen complaints that some Arkham LCG packs are out everywhere too.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Oath is $90 + shipping and 2021 delivery. That includes the neoprene mat and game journal to document what happens from game to game and a ton of printed meeples and cards. I'd prefer just a normal board and no book for $60-70, might just preorder a retail copy without the book for ~$75 or whatever it ends up being.

That feels very steep for a big deck of cards and some meeples. Is a printed neoprene mat really that expensive? If it's driving the cost up that high it probably would have made sense to ditch it

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Oath is being published by Leder, right? I don't think he shares Cole's more minimalist sensibilities re publishing.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

hoiyes posted:

Oath is being published by Leder, right? I don't think he shares Cole's more minimalist sensibilities re publishing.

Yes.

Gotta pay for that office.

Also, every card has unique art from the same person, which also costs money. The KS listed 200+, but Cole before said 350ish cards I think, so we'll see if they're some kind of fake stretch goal kinda thing.

Cards, screen printed meeples, tokens, neoprene, and their hard work. Plus, free coins and probably resin magic tokens for backing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah. I want to play Captain America, but not enough to pay double MSRP to a third party seller.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Chubbs posted:

Played The Isle of Cats over the weekend after the KS delivered last week.

It's got polyomino tile (cat) placement, with a random selection of available cats and everyone competing over who gets to pick first. Combine that with card drafting, and the cards power all the actions you do each turn, including grabbing cats and setting private and public scoring goals. Everyone gets 20 fish each turn that are used for buying the cards you draft and also for catching/rescuing cats. You don't have to buy/use every card you draft so there's plenty of room for hate-drafting. Everything carries over from turn to turn, so even if you get a bad draft, you can save up fish and cards for a future big turn.

It's a basket of cats fun with lots of room for strategy, solidly in the mid-weight range for a polyomino game, and with more player interaction than you might expect. And the cat tiles and meeples are fantastic.

My group played this over the weekend also! I thoroughly enjoyed it. We played with 4 but I did incorporate some of the expansion core lessons and extra oshax tiles. The player who won went in HARD on lessons and ended up scoring something like 80 points between her public and private lesson stacks.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Ravendas posted:

The KS listed 200+, but Cole before said 350ish cards I think, so we'll see if they're some kind of fake stretch goal kinda thing.
You think people would do that? Just make up fake stretch goals on Kickstarter?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Hey, I'm sure this is a very very basic question, but I've ordered Wits and Wagers for a game for this weekend, the trouble is I'm in Europe and I'm concerned at exactly how americentric the questiosn are going to be. Like, will they be utterly impenetrable?

If anyone actually still has/plays the most recent wits and wagers.

I'm trying to break people in slowlyl to the concept of sitting down around a table and playing games.

Fwiw I have a bunch of other things like Skull/Codenames/Times Up etc and hope to graduate to some deeper games once resistance is broken and people have fun.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Abisteen posted:

My group played this over the weekend also! I thoroughly enjoyed it. We played with 4 but I did incorporate some of the expansion core lessons and extra oshax tiles. The player who won went in HARD on lessons and ended up scoring something like 80 points between her public and private lesson stacks.

Our winner hit 99 points. At one point he used the card that gets rid of any lesson to get rid of a public lesson for green cats, which screwed over another player who had been stocking up on them for the first half of the game.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Von Linus posted:

Hey, I'm sure this is a very very basic question, but I've ordered Wits and Wagers for a game for this weekend, the trouble is I'm in Europe and I'm concerned at exactly how americentric the questiosn are going to be. Like, will they be utterly impenetrable?

It's not bad at all (at least in the edition we have). Most of the questions aren't trivia so much as general estimation skills - stuff like "What's the record for most tennis balls a dog has fit in its mouth?"

Wits & Wagers isn't my favorite, but it's a pretty safe bet for filling a half hour pleasantly with most groups.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

You may want to scan through the cards quickly and remove any that may cause confusion (how wide is a football field?) but yeah it should generally be safe

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Played Escape Room in a Box: Flashback. By the same people who did Werewolf Experiment, which was a really solid escape game, so I was quite keen to do this. Like Werewolf, it has higher-than-normal production values for this sort of game (eg. instead of code wheels it has real padlocks) and it played very smoothly.

The box has "3 Paths - 90 Minutes" written on it, so you'd be forgiven for thinking you could get 3 sessions out of this. Not really. There is not 3 paths through content or something (however that might work), rather there is just 3 distinct chunks of content, and then a little combined endgame.

Having 3 distinct chunks does mean the game could scale reasonably up to 6 people - which is super cool. With 6 reasonable people (2 on each path), I'd budget it to take 40 minutes or so. We played with 4, which was kind of weird, and it took 50. If you have 2, it might take the whole 90 minutes. None of the puzzles were super brilliant, but there was some good gimmicks, everything was well put together, there was no groaners, and everyone just generally made steady satisfying progress.

Not an all time great, and not a good choice if you're really into these games. But it's a great choice if you have a mixed experience group - and it's your best/only choice if you have 6 people.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Llyranor posted:

You think people would do that? Just make up fake stretch goals on Kickstarter?

We will have no stretch goals.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Fantasy Flight Games continues to be dismantled, with Star Wars Destiny being cancelled.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/1/14/the-saga-concludes/

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
So fantasy flight is being blown up to what, an arkham LCG and cosmic encounter? :stare:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Shadow225 posted:

You may want to scan through the cards quickly and remove any that may cause confusion (how wide is a football field?) but yeah it should generally be safe

I guess you could do that, but on the other hand, it literally doesn't matter if anyone knows that or not, just guess. That's what most people will be doing for most questions anyway. Unless you just happen to know how tall the tallest giraffe ever was.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Dre2Dee2 posted:

So fantasy flight is being blown up to what, an arkham LCG and cosmic encounter? :stare:

Armada players have to be getting nervous. L5R LCG players too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They’re launching a Keyforge RPG though! :v:

As SVWAG said, it’s a double insult: fire the whole RPG department and have the last thing on their resume be Keyforge.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Don't forget the recently announced standalone game Cosmic Encounter Duel!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Von Linus posted:

If anyone actually still has/plays the most recent wits and wagers.

I'm trying to break people in slowlyl to the concept of sitting down around a table and playing games.

Fwiw I have a bunch of other things like Skull/Codenames/Times Up etc and hope to graduate to some deeper games once resistance is broken and people have fun.

I don't know if it's available, but there's a similar game by a French publisher called Gambit 7. Also France-centric might not be any better for you, if it is!

W&W often puts the source of their question on the card which can help with tricky/ambiguous ones.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I just read through Cole's designer diaries regarding Oath. I am really impressed with the amount of thought & effort he puts into his game design. I disliked Root but liked Pax Pamir. Oath seems like a very ambitious design so I think it could go either way. I'll probably end up backing it though.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Not going to lie, I am a big sucker for metal coins. I like metal pieces in all my games. I love my 1999 Avalon Hill Diplomacy with metal boats and cannons. I'd probably have upgraded to metal coins on Oath even if I had the option not to. Beyond the upgraded components, my guess on what's jacking the price up is the special storage solution in the box.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Megasabin posted:

I just read through Cole's designer diaries regarding Oath. I am really impressed with the amount of thought & effort he puts into his game design. I disliked Root but liked Pax Pamir. Oath seems like a very ambitious design so I think it could go either way. I'll probably end up backing it though.

Oath is basically Pax Inis, so if you like Pax Pamir and/or Inis, you should like Oath.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

pospysyl posted:

Not going to lie, I am a big sucker for metal coins. I like metal pieces in all my games. I love my 1999 Avalon Hill Diplomacy with metal boats and cannons. I'd probably have upgraded to metal coins on Oath even if I had the option not to. Beyond the upgraded components, my guess on what's jacking the price up is the special storage solution in the box.
I keep peeking at editions of Diplomacy for sale because I miss my 1999 copy so much. I remember asking for it for christmas when I was 13 where I promptly started drawing variant maps and moving the metal pieces around. I never got to actually play a proper game with others however! Man, I was an odd child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Anyone else tried Pax Transhumanity? I’ve only played it two player, and it feels like the set number of cards incentivizes Tycoon wins with only two players. But maybe we still don’t know what we’re doing?

I’m enjoying it - the human progress splay is a great system, both in fighting over the regime and in how as it develops the total commercializing possibilities explode. In our third game I was able to force a computing regime and install all of my agents as patents, researching like crazy with my companies.