Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

GUI posted:

That's scripted to happen.

I could've sworn he never showed up before I started trying to get S-ranks. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

GUI posted:

That's scripted to happen.

I could've sworn he never showed up before I started trying to get S-ranks. :negative:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've been playing a bit of White Day: a labyrinth called school, and I'm surprised how much I like the game overall - the random ghosts, the puzzle solving, searching environments for hidden items and stuff, I like it.

Having to constantly hide from the janitors sucks a lot of dick though. Their near-omnipotence, teleporting, and ability to see you all the way down a hallway is annoying as hell. I'm considering restarting the game on an easier difficulty just to make them less of a pain in the rear end.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I've been playing a bit of White Day: a labyrinth called school, and I'm surprised how much I like the game overall - the random ghosts, the puzzle solving, searching environments for hidden items and stuff, I like it.

Having to constantly hide from the janitors sucks a lot of dick though. Their near-omnipotence, teleporting, and ability to see you all the way down a hallway is annoying as hell. I'm considering restarting the game on an easier difficulty just to make them less of a pain in the rear end.

i’m pretty sure the ghosts only appear on hard sooooo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Did you get to the part where the janitors can see you a floor below or above you so you've gotta start dodging them 3 dimensionally?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

The first janitor is manageable, the second is an absolute dick and it's made worse by all the rooms having windows so they can see you with the lights on and gently caress you player, one of the puzzles involves turning all the lights on!

It is really spooky in all the right ways with great atmosphere and fun scares although the remake neuters them a bit. It's just really hard to recommend because gently caress the second janitor.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

WatermelonGun posted:

i’m pretty sure the ghosts only appear on hard sooooo

Some of them only appear on hard, which I'm playing on. Which is why I'm thinking of bumping it down, because I expected tough-to-avoid janitors, not psychic marathoners with telescopic vision.

FirstAidKite posted:

Did you get to the part where the janitors can see you a floor below or above you so you've gotta start dodging them 3 dimensionally?

I've definitely reached a point where I've opened a stairwell door only to hear the janitor's keys jingling from a floor below as he sprints up the stairs to get me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Are you sure it is not the janitors who are the ghosts? Because that sounds like a thing ghosts would do.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I'm playing White Day now as well, biggest gripe is how long it takes for the janitor to move on. Outlast only takes like 30 seconds for the enemy to check the area and leave. This game seems like 2 minutes sometimes. Also,on normal, had a janitor see the lighter thru a closed door.

I'm playing this without checking an faq, but guessing there's a time limit as well?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I think only 1 instance is timed, and it is early on and very obvious.

How do the ghosts compare from original to HD? Is the following ghost still a photo of a woman because that always freaks me out

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Oh, I meant that all the grandfather clocks in the hallways seem to progress time as the game goes on. They were at 10pm at the beginning, now they're around 2am.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hector Delgado posted:

Oh, I meant that all the grandfather clocks in the hallways seem to progress time as the game goes on. They were at 10pm at the beginning, now they're around 2am.

Time passes as story beats are hit, but if you don't progress the story, the game time doesn't move.

I assume this is so that the game will end just as dawn hits (I have not gotten particularly far in the game). It's kind of a nice attention to detail, I didn't realize the times on the clocks were advancing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah there's no time limit, my biggest problem was that it looks like there's a bunch of different endings and stuff you can miss but I'd never want to play it more than once lol way too frustrating.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

No time limit, the game just takes place over a night and fudges things.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I think only 1 instance is timed, and it is early on and very obvious.

How do the ghosts compare from original to HD? Is the following ghost still a photo of a woman because that always freaks me out

This is where the remake kind of falters. There's a ton of new ghosts that happen seemingly randomly and they're fun to discover but the primary stalker ghosts from the original are just a random event and screen-filling jumpscare.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Whew, ok. That's good to know, thanks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Update on White Day: I'm at the light puzzle. It loving suuuucks. Basically I've resigned to just running around while the janitor chases me because you can't hide anywhere in this lovely room and he just turns off the lights anyway.

Also the hair ghost gets me every time, to the point where when I hear her coming I look away from the screen. I'm a sucker for jump scares.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Update on White Day: I'm at the light puzzle. It loving suuuucks. Basically I've resigned to just running around while the janitor chases me because you can't hide anywhere in this lovely room and he just turns off the lights anyway.

Also the hair ghost gets me every time, to the point where when I hear her coming I look away from the screen. I'm a sucker for jump scares.

This part absolutely sucks. The "trick" really is to get the janitor onto the second floor where the save is then run downstairs past the little museum (?) area to start from floor 1. He'll chase you but you have a huge head start and he won't turn off the lights since he's in chase mode. The hair ghost always defaults to a corner and never leaves the room so you have time to poke your nose in and push the button. Never stop running and suck down stamina items as you get tired.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hey everyone how's Routine

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Songbearer posted:

Vaporware.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Songbearer posted:

People need to stop reminding me that this was a thing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There should be a video game law where after a set period of time you have to release your source.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Songbearer posted:

At least we dared to dream.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Is there any way to play White Day without the janitor? Because he sounds like a terrible thing dragging down what otherwise looks like a neat ghost hunting game.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

al-azad posted:

No time limit, the game just takes place over a night and fudges things.

This is where the remake kind of falters. There's a ton of new ghosts that happen seemingly randomly and they're fun to discover but the primary stalker ghosts from the original are just a random event and screen-filling jumpscare.

It still amazes me how they managed to screw this one up so completely. That ghost that only shows up at the edge of the screen is still one of the scariest experiences I had with horror games. And the mirror one was such a neat touch, ruined by having it become scripted.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Meallan posted:

It still amazes me how they managed to screw this one up so completely. That ghost that only shows up at the edge of the screen is still one of the scariest experiences I had with horror games. And the mirror one was such a neat touch, ruined by having it become scripted.

I think they replaced the scratching sound as well. Honestly the floating head ghost was completely bodged for the remake.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Meallan posted:

It still amazes me how they managed to screw this one up so completely. That ghost that only shows up at the edge of the screen is still one of the scariest experiences I had with horror games

o_o. this sounds freaky as hell.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Oh poo poo

https://twitter.com/BlooberTeam/status/1220346216120311810

Observer 2?

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Early spoiler for Observer 2: it was you all along

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Oh good I'm ready for some more catharsis 2.0

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Songbearer posted:

Same old same old

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Please no stealth, please no stealth.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

szary posted:

Early spoiler for Observer 2: it was you all along

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

sigher posted:

Please no stealth, please no stealth.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I've never heard of observer 1...it sounds cool, except for being made by layers of fear guys

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's not great. You get some appropriately grotty VA slumming from Rutger Hauer from just before his irl death, but the plot is nonsense that veers into melodrama for the finale, and the world-building is pretty anemic and sloppy. It does have one or two cool visual setpieces (mostly having to do with weird depth perception).

Really the best comparison I can make is to the first Lawnmower Man movie. It has some weirdness and body horror but it mainly serves to illustrate just how bad badly done cyberpunk can get.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 24, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hauer sounds bored as poo poo in the game

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I didn't care for Observer at all, or any of their other games for that matter.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I loved Layers 1 for the imaginative fever dream spectacle, and Observer still carried some of that, which is completely absent in their current works.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I got a bit into Observer back on launch and there was some nightmare sequence where you had to guide a drone around and it got stuck on something and the door closed and locked behind me, rendering me unable to complete the mission since the drone was supposed to be with me to interact with something and I never touched it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got catapulted into the void of space at one point and it took me a while to realise that wasn't supposed to happen.