Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Gotta tell you, it does feel stupid but brilliant this Big Ben poo poo.

I mean, at the same time Boris is siding with the US over the Soleimani killing, outright breaking his promises on EU trade, and all other sorts of hideous poo poo.But what are we discussing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Crowd fund the next missile, the NI border patrol and our healthcare.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

When you strip people not just of the harmful and irrational bits but also of the mythology and community, what replaces it?

Anomie, or disconnection from society at large, which is a big reason why we have so many fash these days without any sort of religious connections, because they have that horrible secular white nationalist community keeping them going in place of any sort of religious beliefs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Crowd fund the next missile, the NI border patrol and our healthcare.

Mandatory crowd funding.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is kind of a jokey survey but I genuinely think it illustrates a big problem with UK society. It’s like an entire country is in clinical depression. Someone asks if, in the best possible circumstances, you would want to go to the Moon, and huge swathes of the population say “nah, it’ll be poo poo, innit”.

No wonder we’re voting for the Tories and Brexit when people cannot even imagine things being good.

Honestly I think there is something very apt about that poll.

Those answers make perfect sense to me from a certain point of view.

We can talk about the Moon as being an alien landscape of unearthly beauty with a new viewpoint of our world.

But it's also true to say that it is a cold, airless, deadly place that could drive you to panic attacks nearly instantly. (Don't like diving underwater? It would be like that times a billion.)

You can see the Earth all at once and hain a new found sense of wisdom. Or maybe you que up for three hours to stare out through one of Virgin Moon Base 1's five windows.

And even the safety argument makes sense. It's the most deadly type of environment this side of being inside a Volcano. Unless they have given you a Green Lantern ring any promise of safety they give you will do sweet FA if something goes wrong.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Venomous posted:

Anomie, or disconnection from society at large, which is a big reason why we have so many fash these days without any sort of religious connections, because they have that horrible secular white nationalist community keeping them going in place of any sort of religious beliefs.
That's the bit that worries me.

Like you can ditch religion and all its patriarchal homophobic anti-rational stuff and embrace a humanistic view of the world and the people in it, but that requires an underpinning philosophy that people have value and that's worth protecting, or at the very least the kind of secular pessimism that unites 18th century German philosophers and post-Holocaust Jewish philosophers in saying "suffering is bad, can people at least try not to be cunts for a bit?"

Or you can go way too far into STEMlord rationality and end up in some kind of Stirner-esque libertarian space, where because science can't supply moral values there are no moral values, but unless you're Notch you can't really live with that amount of disconnect.

Or you anchor to something else, nation, race, something like that, as a way of finding a community, and that can lead to some dark places quickly.

We need binding fictions. Religion provided those but a bunch of them were poo poo and it's dying. Liberal democracy seems to be doing the same.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

That's the bit that worries me.

We need binding fictions. Religion provided those but a bunch of them were poo poo and it's dying. Liberal democracy seems to be doing the same.

Maybe that's one reason why Marvel movies make billions of dollars every year?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The Question IRL posted:

Honestly I think there is something very apt about that poll.

Those answers make perfect sense to me from a certain point of view.

We can talk about the Moon as being an alien landscape of unearthly beauty with a new viewpoint of our world.

But it's also true to say that it is a cold, airless, deadly place that could drive you to panic attacks nearly instantly. (Don't like diving underwater? It would be like that times a billion.)

You can see the Earth all at once and hain a new found sense of wisdom. Or maybe you que up for three hours to stare out through one of Virgin Moon Base 1's five windows.

And even the safety argument makes sense. It's the most deadly type of environment this side of being inside a Volcano. Unless they have given you a Green Lantern ring any promise of safety they give you will do sweet FA if something goes wrong.

It's a hypothetical you doofus, it is a question about going somewhere rare and special without risk, measuring someone's capacity to dream or at worst their adventurousness and quarter of the respondents can't even grasp the potential of that and another quarter quibble over how its probably actually poo poo anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

He did that by deliberately creating a magnum o'piss that looks like a dog turd made up as a clown to 60% of people and absolute genius to the 10% of people who think it's somehow profound that lobsters don't wear pants though. Without the idea that you're part of the few that get it, without the oppositional outside telling you that there's nothing to get, without all the centrist journalists thinking maybe there's something to it after all both sides, then there's no faith, and no fandom.

For peterson sure, but not I think for everything.

Guavanaut posted:

It's probably a bit of that too, but why Potter? Why not Pratchett or Rankin or some other light fantasy author?

The internet probably has something to do with it, it became big right around the time of the first generation of phone having/highly online people, probably helped with the proliferation. Also TV adaptation is much easier than pratchett I think. You see a similar with with game of thrones now.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

namesake posted:

It's a hypothetical you doofus, it is a question about going somewhere rare and special without risk, measuring someone's capacity to dream or at worst their adventurousness

Oh doofus yourself. There's no evidence it measures those things, rather than eg desire for status ('I have been to the moon'), or taste for sci-fi. There are way fewer adventures to be had on the moon than here, and lots of dreams in which the moon doesn't feature significantly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

sebzilla posted:

Mandatory crowd funding.

Progressive mandatory crowdfunding. Put into a common pot and then used to fund all sorts of things.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Azza Bamboo posted:

Can't they legalise marijuana and put the funds towards the renovation in a bill entitled "bongs for bongs".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FWIW I also wouldn't go to the moon if you offered. Same reason I don't go anywhere else either. Don't really see the appeal in tourism.

Sure it'd be a nice view but I don't think that's worth the expenditure of resources involved.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

FWIW I also wouldn't go to the moon if you offered. Same reason I don't go anywhere else either. Don't really see the appeal in tourism.

No atmosphere?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If the moon were any good they'd have one in Boro. :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The lake district's nice, but that's about the only place I've ever really liked going. Build me a good railway into ullswater, or a big boating lake in boro and that'll do me nice.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
"Why would I want to go to the moon, I haven't even been to scotland yet?"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

My-oh-my, what an important piece of news for the BBC to reprint from the actual loving Daily Mail:

BBC posted:

Former Commons Speaker John Bercow spent £1,000 on a taxi fare and £12,000 on leaving parties for staff in the run-up to his retirement.

Mr Bercow, who stood down before the election, also spent £7,000 on a US visit in his final months in the job.

His expenses were obtained via a Daily Mail Freedom of Information request.

In May 2019, Mr Bercow spent £7,000 on a visit to Washington DC, to deliver a speech on the "role of Parliament in today's Britain" to a think tank, a trip that also took in Virginia and Boston.

The former Speaker's expenses also included a £118-a-month Sky TV subscription for Speaker's House, the apartment within the Palace of Westminster where Mr Bercow lived with his family.

The biggest expense in the final months of Mr Bercow's nine-year tenure as Speaker was staff leaving parties.

The £12,000 bill included an invoice for £3,168 for a retirement party for Speaker's chaplain Rose Hudson-Wilkin.

Rather than retire, she became the Bishop of Dover. [The loving cheek!!!]

Mr Bercow also spent £2,376 on a retirement party for the Commons invitations secretary in February, and a month later another £3,187 for a formal farewell to Clerk of the House David Natzler.

What a scrounger. Even spending money on staff events! Everyone knows that you make them pay it out of their own pocket.

We better spend a couple dozen more million on the royals.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 14, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

Sure it'd be a nice view but I don't think that's worth the expenditure of resources involved.

Pretty much.

I don't think we should be spending fuel on flights at all, let alone the colossal loving cost it takes to leave orbit, purely for entertainment.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Private Speech posted:

*consults colour chart* yes but which royals

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I agree, gently caress the tourist traps. That said going to a completely alien culture and just doing what the locals are doing is an amazing feeling, especially if you have friends there who can show you around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Pretty much.

I don't think we should be spending fuel on flights at all, let alone the colossal loving cost it takes to leave orbit, purely for entertainment.

Especially because I can have a perfectly nice time within about ten miles of my house.

I do think a lot of it is status oriented, a lot of people go places just to say they did, or to feel good about having been. Very much an "owning commodities" kind of thing.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I for one would love to lie on the moon and blow my beans vertically to see how high they would go, science make this happen

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

It's cold outside
There's no kind of atmosphere
I'm all alone, more or less
Let me fly, far away from here
Fun, fun, fun, in the sun, sun, sun

I want to lie shipwrecked and comatose
Drinking fresh mango juice
Goldfish shoals, nibbling at my toes

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I've just imagined the golf industry getting its hands on the moon (more so than it already has in the form of Alan Shepard's little bit of fun on Apollo 14, anyway).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Private Speech posted:

My-oh-my, what an important piece of news for the BBC to reprint from the actual loving Daily Mail:

What a scrounger. Even spending money on staff events! Everyone knows that you make them pay it out of their own pocket.

You can see them try to sex it up too. HE SPENT 7K ON A HOLIDAY (to three different places and probably was with another person or two as his entourage)
And this was their big hitter.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

baka kaba posted:

I like how they include the people who just started arguing the premise of the question

This should have happened for all those Lib Dem polls too

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I wouldn't go to the moon for the same reasons as I wouldn't go to the middle of the Sahara desert.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

The lake district's nice, but that's about the only place I've ever really liked going. Build me a good railway into ullswater, or a big boating lake in boro and that'll do me nice.

This is such a depressing post.

I haven't been abroad since I was 16 but at some point when I actually have money I really want to go places. See historical sites and cultural spots, talk to people from different places. I also totally want to laze on a warm quiet beach under some shade with a stack of books to devour. Another experience you can't really get here.

I want to go to Russia, Japan, Italy, Chile, Greece, Spain, I want to go to Flanders in a wet weekend in March to see bike racing. There's a whole world out there of beautiful places and fascinating people. Don't stay in loving Middlesbrough

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Most places in the world are just the same bullshit with the same dumbasses, occasionally with nicer buildings and a better climate, tbh

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Costs me about £100-£150 a year to go camping in the peak district if you include fuel and eating at local restaurants. If you ever see a blue motorbike with a bright orange tent bag precariously strapped over the back seat rolling down the switchbacks near Bakewell, that's probably me.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 14, 2020

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I'm more annoyed by the terrible response to the Apollo question on Only Connect last night frankly.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I really want to go places.

Why does everyone have to be the same as you? There are lots of things to enjoy in the world that do not involve long-distance travel.

If you saw me writing 'How sad!' whenever people express a lack of interest in bel canto opera, you'd recognize I was being an arse, I think.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

Why does everyone have to be the same as you? There are lots of things to enjoy in the world that do not involve long-distance travel.

If you saw me writing 'How sad!' whenever people express a lack of interest in bel canto opera, you'd recognize I was being an arse, I think.

It's pretty depressing to see people limiting their horizons like that. The world is full of exciting and interesting places.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/AGlasgowGirl/status/1216805162297307138?s=19

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

marktheando posted:

It's pretty depressing to see people limiting their horizons like that. The world is full of exciting and interesting places.

Our own localities are full of exciting and interesting things to do, including things that are a lot more useful than lying on a beach or taking 'I was here!' photographs, and our lives are not long enough to do all of them. Travel might easily be something people do because they're unimaginative, or do not stretch themselves enough to achieve anything more difficult.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

Our own localities are full of exciting and interesting things to do, including things that are a lot more useful than lying on a beach or taking 'I was here!' photographs, and our lives are not long enough to do all of them. Travel might easily be something people do because they're unimaginative, or do not stretch themselves enough to achieve anything more difficult.

Lmao no they're loving not, where have you been the last ten years?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Love to go into Middlesbrough and stare at the three dead shopping centers and the rows of lovely takeaways and vape shops, so much more interesting than any holiday

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
travel's hugely overrated, everywhere's much the same imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Oh dear me posted:

The old saying is that travel broadens the mind, and it's very true. You become very parochial in your understanding of the world if you never go anywhere. Obviously don't go jetting across the world every year, but you can get to Paris on public transport and check out the loving Louvre. I dunno, I think that's worth checking out.