Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I got Rec Room and Vader Immortal working okay over ALVR/Revive pretty well, but I'm having some trouble with Onward and Blade and Sorcery. Onward gives me the studio screen and menu screen audio but doesn't ever seem to load up the visuals. Blade and Sorcery loads up more or less normally but once I select a character I briefly see the starting room and then get dumped into what looks just to be the skybox with no geometry around me. Any suggestions from fellow goonds running these over the aether?

I plan to buy a super long powered USB3 when I come back from vaycay and mess with the first party wired option but man do I like the possibility of snap turning to shoot or stab a guy untethered.

Quest over ALVR 5g router and an i7 9700/ 2070 Super FWIW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Owlbear Camus posted:

I got Rec Room and Vader Immortal working okay over ALVR/Revive pretty well, but I'm having some trouble with Onward and Blade and Sorcery. Onward gives me the studio screen and menu screen audio but doesn't ever seem to load up the visuals. Blade and Sorcery loads up more or less normally but once I select a character I briefly see the starting room and then get dumped into what looks just to be the skybox with no geometry around me. Any suggestions from fellow goonds running these over the aether?

I plan to buy a super long powered USB3 when I come back from vaycay and mess with the first party wired option but man do I like the possibility of snap turning to shoot or stab a guy untethered.

Quest over ALVR 5g router and an i7 9700/ 2070 Super FWIW.

I'd suggest trying virtual desktop instead. Buy the app in the Oculus store then install the sideloaded version to get similar functionally to ALVR that works better IMO.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jack Trades posted:

Anyone played any emulator games with VR support? I heard that Dolphin apparently does VR.

Virtual boy emus support hmds and it works better than the original hardware

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:siren:ATTN: THROW YOUR INDEX IN THE drat GARBAGE:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p12QaZUZDnM

3DOF. And I thought the driver support for the VideoCore VI was bad or incomplete because the developer left to work on Intel’s GPUs? Sad, because the chip could theoretically do Vulkan, I think.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why Spend $1000 on an Index When You Can Install Emulators on a Raspberry Pi and Never Shut the gently caress Up About It?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zaphod42 posted:

Virtual boy emus support hmds and it works better than the original hardware

Virtual boy was taken from us too early.
All this time we've just been trying to get back what we lost.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I am going to be crammed into economy class on an 8-hour flight tomorrow, and I think I'm gonna download some videos and look like an absolute goon wearing my Samsung Gear with over the ear headphones to try to take my mind off having my femurs compressed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If I saw someone on a plane using VR I'd mostly just be jealous.

I say that as a VR nerd though.

I also say it as someone who's never had to sit next to someone playing Beat Saber on a quest in coach

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Play a flight sim and race your pilot

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

LOL leaving the quest behind. Just the phone in the gear.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah playing beat saber on a flight would be a dick move.

VR 3D movie seems ideal though.

Try to get the window seat if you can so you don't have anybody tap your shoulder and give you a heart attack because they need to pee lol.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Quest-users, your prayers are apparently answered; There's a company making a battery pack that mounts to the back of the headset properly. Preorders are open, releases on Janyary 30th.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beat Boneworks last night. That ending. Oof. The comparisons to half life and portal are in aesthetic only, not story lol

Anyway, what a great game! I can’t wait for HL:A now!! I’m probably gonna dive back in to get the ammo cheevos and unlock more sandbox stuff. Once you know the levels you can blast through them pretty fast

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:siren:ATTN: THROW YOUR INDEX IN THE drat GARBAGE:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p12QaZUZDnM

This makes me wonder if the manufacturers are doing any research on non-flat panel displays for VR. Something like a laser projection display seems like it could be ideal for high contrast and no screen door effect.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that's what hololens is, i thought?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Jack Trades posted:

Anyone played any emulator games with VR support? I heard that Dolphin apparently does VR.

I did a full playthrough of Majoras Mask via the GameCube port (wii vc doesn't workon the vr build) and it looked so freaking cool.

It's me, the one person begging for games to let me play the regular game in 3D with a regular controller instead of being half baked full motion "experiences"

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Truga posted:

that's what hololens is, i thought?

The first version uses an LCOS display, the second public release used a 2d mems based laser beam scanning system. It can theoretically give you high contrast, but they image through a diffractive waveguide and the picture quality is pretty meh. Lots of light bleed and haze kills the contrast ratio, not to mention trying to maintain a uniform field through the waveguides.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Delta-Wye posted:

The first version uses an LCOS display, the second public release used a 2d mems based laser beam scanning system. It can theoretically give you high contrast, but they image through a diffractive waveguide and the picture quality is pretty meh. Lots of light bleed and haze kills the contrast ratio, not to mention trying to maintain a uniform field through the waveguides.

Goddamn, that's just bad. Even Microsoft should be able to tell they have an expensive clunker on their hands with that :stonklol:.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Quest-users, your prayers are apparently answered; There's a company making a battery pack that mounts to the back of the headset properly. Preorders are open, releases on Janyary 30th.

Those ears they're making look good, too!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Delta-Wye posted:

oh jesus that's bad. i thought "hey they're charging $3k for this at least quality is going to be decent right??"

nope lmao

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Goddamn, that's just bad. Even Microsoft should be able to tell they have an expensive clunker on their hands with that :stonklol:.

That’s fine, they’re more interested in the military customers anyway$$$.

Also yeah research into AR/non-cell-phone-screen optics/display tech has been well underway everywhere for years at this point. Apple, Microsoft, etc.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

Aww man I was hoping to use a Hololens 2 at work but not if it's a piece of crap garbage like this :(

I lol'd when I first tried the Magic Leap.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

Sounds like the majority of the issues are from the AR passthrough requirement then. I guess pure VR displays aren't attractive enough for getting the big bucks.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Truga posted:

oh jesus that's bad. i thought "hey they're charging $3k for this at least quality is going to be decent right??"

nope lmao

FWIW they are almost assuredly doing binning on the yielded devices, and the folks sharing the screenshots are almost invariably getting the worst bin. But yeah, at that price point and feature set, it's not well suited for consumer use yet.

I do wonder how much things will improve. As much as the image through a waveguide sucks, there aren't a lot other options for what they're trying to build. Perfecting waveguides or coming up with a whole other approach both seem daunting.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Rectus posted:

Sounds like the majority of the issues are from the AR passthrough requirement then. I guess pure VR displays aren't attractive enough for getting the big bucks.

Well strictly speaking the displays aren’t where the innovation needs to happen for VR, the optics do.

Electrical varifocal, pancake lenses, and eye tracking need to graduate research into product development. Since announcements trail significantly behind the actual work being done I wouldn’t be surprised to see something like that already happening for Quest N (N >= 2).

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/sweviver/status/1217172033370558464

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh, what happened there?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Uh, what happened there?

https://twitter.com/SweViver/status/1217255579896467456?s=19

Sounds like their COO said they have lovely support right now and the marketing guy is melting down and demanding everybody pretend it didn't happen or I'll sue

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

https://mobile.twitter.com/UploadVR/status/1217224414594576386

https://mobile.twitter.com/SweViver/status/1217256664795099138

So, basically, the COO told UploadVR in a video interview that their support is going to be entirely in China. UploadVR reported on that, and now PiMax is throwing a hissy fit and threatening legal action because supposedly it's only temporary.

Seems like a very professional company.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Irrelevant VR hardware manufacturer that has twenty thousand SKUs and misses deadlines as a matter of course vs creepy rapey rag with no interesting reporting or redeeming qualities at all

Awesome

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tip posted:

Seems like a very professional company.

Unfortunately the least professional thing they did was hire SweViver. He was just "some dude" on YouTube who was giving them glowing (in fairness very detailed and technically sound, if biased) reviews in exchange for getting their hardware before everyone on Kickstarter. I would hasten a guess that he has no career experience in marketing communications. It would be like if HTC made Knifegrab their Marketing Director, or something.

edit: here's when he's first demoing the original Pimax 5k, back before he worked from them and was a Kickstarter backer, gives some context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Fd8atublU

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 15, 2020

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

The Gunslinger posted:

Has anyone played I Expect You to Die? It's pretty good but I'm stuck on Deep Dive, the third level in the sub. I can get to the end but I can't put the combination in fast enough. The loving dial just flies 3-4 numbers at the slightest touch so I waste the entire countdown trying to put in the combination. I'm using a Rift S with Oculus Touch. Is there some way to just have the dial behave normally? I tried grabbing and using telekinesis, it just spazzes out. They should've just made it a loving keypad, its absurd to be roadblocked by this.

Just got here today. This and the next room both have dials

What I had to do wwas get close, spin it with the hand instead of psychic powers. It goes more slowly trhat way.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
--edit: Nevermind, a quick Google tells me the thread would veer off sideways over the edge of the world if a discussion would start.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 15, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Creepy rapey? What did I miss?

I'm guessing anything tangentially related to Reddit which half the world probably uses by now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I'm guessing anything tangentially related to Reddit which half the world probably uses by now.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/15/uploadvr-sued-over-rampant-sexual-behavior-in-the-workplace-and-wrongful-termination/

quote:

“In the office, Defendants would frequently talk about how much sex they were going to have at each party, and how many girls they were going to have sex with. UploadVR even set up a room to encourage sexual intercourse at the workplace. The room was referred to as the “kink room” and contained a bed. Male employees used that room to have sexual intercourse, which was disruptive and inappropriate. Often, underwear and condom wrappers would be found in the room.”

UploadVR is bad

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm playing through fallout 4 Far Harbour and though it gets a lot of flak in this thread it really is very very good. It's got its rough edges but with a couple mods and ini tweaks it's just lovely. I don't think there is a more atmospheric VR game. I highly recommend playing as a high PER VATS user, it turns the combat into something very fun, it's so cool to see all the ragdolls and explosions and falling shells and stuff in slow motion VR. Of couse the base game is still not the greatest but I'm quite enjoying Far Harbour, if you can pick up the game for like 30 bucks it's worth it just for FH imo.

VR for me is all about those 'cool moments' and fallout is just full of them. hitting vats as a ghoul flies right at your face and then calmly blowing his head off with your shotgun, sidestepping his body and watching him fall to the ground in a heap.

desperately backing away from the bulking silhouette of a giant mirelurk in the dark only to turn on your pipboy and notice for the first time really just how giant and hosed up looking they are and it's literally filling your entire field of vision, like the alien appearing in the ducts in Alien

seems like the performance has improved a lot since I last played too, only 26% repro

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

lol what a meltdown.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

UploadVR is bad

I've had heard about that news before, but at this point I had forgotten which company was associated to, lol.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Zero VGS posted:

Unfortunately the least professional thing they did was hire SweViver. He was just "some dude" on YouTube who was giving them glowing (in fairness very detailed and technically sound, if biased) reviews in exchange for getting their hardware before everyone on Kickstarter. I would hasten a guess that he has no career experience in marketing communications. It would be like if HTC made Knifegrab their Marketing Director, or something.

edit: here's when he's first demoing the original Pimax 5k, back before he worked from them and was a Kickstarter backer, gives some context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Fd8atublU

I've watched some of this guy and had no idea he worked for Pimax, much less as European Marketing Director. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I'd consider it unprofessional and biased to review VR products while consistently failing to disclose the fact that you are straight up working and selling for one of them. Why does VR attract the worst loving people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

treat posted:

Why does VR attract the worst loving people?

welcome to early adopter market, where the amounts of cash are small enough that the worst loving people aren't silenced by their PR departments like in mainstream markets