Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Every day I learn something new Kojima did.

It’s one of those things no one sane would ever put in their game because why would anyone ever try doing that. You would practically have to be waiting for it to happen considering how fast the exclamation happens and vanishes. But Kojima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The thing most stealth games struggle with is having a fuzzy fail state. Like if it's instant death when you get caught, it's annoying, but if it's not hard to do a straight-up fight after getting caught, then the stealth becomes pointless. Snake's reaction time mode gives you some leeway while also providing threats. The only other example I can think of right now is in the Arkham games how the stealth sections give you a handy series of gargoyles or ducts to just zip away after getting caught.

I feel like it may be pretty fun to go loud 'n' lethal in MGSV, but I start to feel bad about it and worry the game will judge me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I mean, it does judge you. All the Metal Gear games do.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

But building your favorite weapon, picking your most deadly companion and heading out to do some loud killing is fun.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Kibayasu posted:

It’s one of those things no one sane would ever put in their game because why would anyone ever try doing that. You would practically have to be waiting for it to happen considering how fast the exclamation happens and vanishes. But Kojima.

Yeah this, I was playing Death Stranding last week and there's a mirror in the private room you can use to have Norman Reedus make funny faces, and I discovered that Kojima actually bothered to models his tonsils inside his mouth.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Basic Chunnel posted:

No matter the method of neutralization, an enemy will never wake up on their own if placed in a container. Toilet, dumpster etc. That includes being the passenger seats of vehicles, but patrols can notice and revive knocked out passengers.

This also stops people from bleeding out. (Of course you'd need to kick or tranq them while they're writhing on the ground first so that you can pick them up.) Not that you really ever need to worry about that, outside of maybe if you accidentally used almost-lethal force on an enemy who you wanted to recruit and you didn't want to risk the high chance of them dying in a Fulton extraction.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I miss the lead up to MGS5 when everyone was posting their best metal gear related content so in the spirit of that here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTx1W1IUFjk

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

christ how had I forgotten about that

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
...ahh the early days of trying to be famous on the internet. ...burn it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

SlothfulCobra posted:

The thing most stealth games struggle with is having a fuzzy fail state. Like if it's instant death when you get caught, it's annoying, but if it's not hard to do a straight-up fight after getting caught, then the stealth becomes pointless. Snake's reaction time mode gives you some leeway while also providing threats. The only other example I can think of right now is in the Arkham games how the stealth sections give you a handy series of gargoyles or ducts to just zip away after getting caught.

I feel like it may be pretty fun to go loud 'n' lethal in MGSV, but I start to feel bad about it and worry the game will judge me.

Dishonored really redefined the bar for having options for engaging and disengaging, but there's still a ton more that can and should be done in stealth games.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
That video is from September

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Namnesor posted:

what the gently caress is there another video of someone singing snake eater absolutely terribly??

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Namnesor posted:

...sweet god no.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Sorry you didn’t like my video. Here’s another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTTPlnegid0

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So subscription model gaming is both a harbinger of greatness and doom for Metal Gear atm.

On Playstation Now you've got:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

And on Xbox Game Pass you've got

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Metal Gear Survive.... DOOOOOM

That said if you have either service its a really good time to get into Metal Gear.

( I doomed myself, dont do it )

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm trying to beat Solidus in Extreme mode on the PS Now version of MGS2. Was the response time with the blade always this bad, or is it just this version/the PS4 controller? Together with that and the silly minigame just before the fight where you pretty much lose half of your health by default (with no healing items afterwards), I think I might be at a dead end.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

the torture sequence is MUCH harder in the HD versions because the damage intervals are linked to frame rate or something goofy, and on extreme and euro extreme, you really need your technique down

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm trying to beat Solidus in Extreme mode on the PS Now version of MGS2. Was the response time with the blade always this bad, or is it just this version/the PS4 controller? Together with that and the silly minigame just before the fight where you pretty much lose half of your health by default (with no healing items afterwards), I think I might be at a dead end.

PS Now has very noticable input lag if you are used to the original.

I cannot play Revengeance on PS Now because my muscle memory is based on the original PS3 game.

The MGS HD Collection on PS3 is fine imo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm happy there are still random players doing co-op on PS3 Peace Walker. Assumed it would be totally dead by now.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I'm kinda disappointed in my past self when I ran co-op on PSP Peace Walker that I just tried to speedrun everything and didn't try to do any fun gameplay. Granted, most people probably did just want to farm S/A rank soldiers or computer parts, but I bet some people just wanted to take it easy instead of me tranq sniping everything as quickly as possible.

It was fun to fight the giant tank Cocoon and let newbies attempt to climb onto it and watch as they get shaken off or die on top of it and then it becomes a real rescue mission. It ain't easy doing CPR on someone while there's chainsaw arms and missiles everywhere.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'd forgotten how funny Peace Walker's tapes were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKJekzRHiUU

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 12, 2020

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Peace Walker owns. Had such a blsst replaying it on PS3.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If anyone wants to do some Peace Walker Co-Op my PSN tag is AutomaticDJ. I'm on right now - but am playing the game a lot at the moment.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Necrothatcher posted:

I'd forgotten how funny Peace Walker's tapes were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKJekzRHiUU

:lol:
I loved the burger tapes in MGSV and wanted more goofy-rear end stuff like that. I know it wouldn't fit with the Serious main game, but more funny side stuff would've been pretty great.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

the child soldier stuff is Hideo pranking himself, if that counts

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of my favorite moments in MGSV was the end of the mission carrying Codetalker, I just called the helicopter to a position that seemed pretty close, and while it was a bit of a walk, no soldiers were in the way to avoid, and that conveniently delayed the song I had on the helicopter (The Final Countdown) so that right when I reached the chopper it was going:

We're leaving together,
But still it's farewell.
And maybe we'll come back
To earth, who can tell?

A lot of songs get annoying on the helicopter since you only ever hear the initial bit, but that was good.

Also MGSV ruined me for stealth in a lot of other games with stealth that either want to provide a narrow linear experience, don't want to provide you with options, or don't give you any leeway for getting caught. It's crazy how many games try to force you into stealth as just a half-baked narrow insta-fail experience.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There's so many good possible music moments in that game, but I was gonna mention

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Final Countdown

if you hadn't. It's always the one I'm surprised they got in the game, and it fits almost any range of situation.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8fCQeRWU1k

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 14, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I absolutely loved the Man Who Sold the World cold open to the game. Do you have to wipe your save to see it fresh?

I played on PC so I expanded the music collection with more (era-appropriate) tracks. Jungle Boogie and Pump It Up by Elvis Costello were my two helicopter jams because I never get tired of listening to their intros.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I'll be honest, I just used Crazy In Love, because the horns blaring part sounds fabulous coming out of the helicopter

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Airwolf theme is the best choice if you're adding your own music. Sounds amazing when it slowly comes in from the distance

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I keep forgetting you can add your own in that version, that's pretty much a selling point even aside from the other mods...and I just remembered I have $30 in refunded steambux sitting there....🤔

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Captain Hygiene posted:

I keep forgetting you can add your own in that version, that's pretty much a selling point even aside from the other mods...and I just remembered I have $30 in refunded steambux sitting there....🤔

And someone made a randomizer buried in the thread somewhere, so you can have list of songs and have a different one every time. I used a program called Audacity to edit MP3s to make them into viable helicopter songs by cutting out slow beginnings and instrumentals and things like that. Totally worth it.

edit: I guess the randomizer was in the last thread cause I can't find it here in my post history. I did find this though: http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=zyLbxz7p2-w&video_start=0&audio=k8JflBNovLE&audio_start=0 (Twin Snakes music video)

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 14, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh cool, thanks - I'll look around too. And I use Audacity a bunch, that's a good idea.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Captain Hygiene posted:

You're doing your bit to build the next Konami health club :japan:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Using Audacity to make "pro wrestler entrance" cuts of your favorite songs is the best poo poo ever for MGS5. Or you can just download an mp3 of CM Punk's "Cult of Personality" intro and call it a day.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

So basically I need to rip the John Cena theme and hire a VO guy to record an announcement for VENOM SNAAAKE.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
mgsv pioneers the gameplay of "leave the game running to accrue resources"

i dont see how you could possibly have enough fuel otherwise, past a certain point in upgrade costs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

So basically I need to rip the John Cena theme and hire a VO guy to record an announcement for VENOM SNAAAKE.

David Hayter will do voicework for you for like $20

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

ImpAtom posted:

You get what you pay for: A David Hayter VA performance

Relin posted:

mgsv pioneers the gameplay of "leave the game running to accrue resources"

i dont see how you could possibly have enough fuel otherwise, past a certain point in upgrade costs
Once you memorize the infiltration routes for Base Development FOBs they shower you with resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Basic Chunnel posted:

You get what you pay for: A David Hayter VA performance

Honestly pretty tempted by the prospect of :20bux: worth of David Hayter