Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tarnop posted:

I didn't realise that giving an example of a bad scene in response to a request for the same was considered gauche. Are there any other important rules of etiquette for this thread?

Sometimes when you say something on a forum, people will challenge you on it or ask questions or make their own insights. It's okay don't take it personally, and welcome to the thread :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Look up how when developing Raiders of the Lost Ark he originally wanted Jones/Marion to have like a ~ten year age difference between them so that the "I was a child! I was in love!" line was to literally mean that she was like 10 while he was 21 and he wanted that because it "makes it more interesting."

Isn’t that implied in the movie anyway? I understood it to mean exactly that

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

sponges posted:

“My little green friend”

The way it syncs up with the music is top-notch

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Just loving imagine how incredibly satisfying that whole sequence must have been for Palpatine, in-universe.

He's having fun, as all Sith do

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jewmanji posted:

Isn’t that implied in the movie anyway? I understood it to mean exactly that

The point of the movie is that Dr. Jones, a college professor, used to sleep with his college-age students. After things went badly with Marion, he regretted it - hence why he’s now freaked out by the eyelid girl.

Marion is upset because, although she initiated things, she now realizes that Indy should have tactfully turned her down due to the power imbalance.

Lucas and Spielberg aren’t seriously considering changing Dr. Jones to a kindergarten teacher, because that would make no sense for the film. The entire basic premise is that Jones is a historian. The question is how ‘interestingly’ scuzzy they can make the college teacher without losing the audience, as with One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The point of the movie is that Dr. Jones, a college professor, used to sleep with his college-age students. After things went badly with Marion, he regretted it - hence why he’s now freaked out by the eyelid girl.

Marion is upset because, although she initiated things, she now realizes that Indy should have tactfully turned her down due to the power imbalance.

Lucas and Spielberg aren’t seriously considering changing Dr. Jones to a kindergarten teacher, because that would make no sense for the film. The entire basic premise is that Jones is a historian. The question is how ‘interestingly’ scuzzy they can make the college teacher without losing the audience, as with One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest.

Kindergarten Cop's original script was pretty hosed up

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I mean, it’s also a major recurring gag in Raiders that Jones is not in fact a cool badass dude, but a nerdlord with a gun who gets constantly owned, fucks up regularly, and ultimately accomplished nothing since the ark would have toasted the nazis with or without his help. In that context, the reveal that he’s also a creeper who was macking on a 13 year old makes absolute sense, and was probably only cut because they realized it was a bridge too far for audiences to accept

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Actually between Luke wanting to bang his sister and now Anakin popping off to his mom it's looking to me like Lucas was going for something

Ben's last act was kissing his cousin, once-removed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pinterest Mom posted:

Ben's last act was kissing his cousin, once-removed.

Yet another thing they just remade from the OT instead of doing something new, the ending of RoS verifies that if you kiss a Skywalker you become a Skywalker

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
STAR WARS

EPISODE X THE PHANTOM SKYWALKER

The dead speak! The galaxy has received a mysterious vision, a promise of HOPE in the voice of the late LUKE SKYWALKER.

POE DAMERON and his husband FN-2187, heroes of ROGUE SQUADRON, got secret offscreen kisses from Luke and became SKYWALKERS.

Meanwhile, Empress REY SKYWALKER rages in search of the phantom Skywalkers, determined to destroy any threat to her power….

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

STAR WARS

The dead speak! The galaxy has received a mysterious vision, a promise of HOPE in the voice of the late LUKE SKYWALKER.

POE DAMERON and his husband FN-2187, heroes of ROGUE SQUADRON, got secret offscreen kisses from Luke and became SKYWALKERS.

Meanwhile, Empress REY SKYWALKER rages in search of the phantom Skywalkers, determined to destroy any threat to her power….

It would have been insanely good if they went directly from Last Jedi to this.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm down for an episode x where boyega (not finn) digs up the sabers and has some bond/indy with a lightsaber space romps

e: woah just got weirdly scooped on this lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Episode X: Too Many Skywalkers

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

Episode X: Too Many Skywalkers

Hey I'm skywalkin' here!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Every death star causes a corresponding skywalker, or perhaps vice versa

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oops All Skywalkers

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I dunno if I thought of it, or someone else in this thread thought of it, where maybe the title Rise of Skywalker meant that a new kind of Jedi would come out of the movie and they'd be called Skywalkers.

I guess the idea was much too ambitious for them, and goes against Disney's simple idea of there being nothing wrong with the Jedi.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I dunno if I thought of it, or someone else in this thread thought of it, where maybe the title Rise of Skywalker meant that a new kind of Jedi would come out of the movie and they'd be called Skywalkers.

I thought this might be the meaning too.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Skywalkers in flight
Afternoon delight

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean, it’s also a major recurring gag in Raiders that Jones is not in fact a cool badass dude, but a nerdlord with a gun who gets constantly owned, fucks up regularly, and ultimately accomplished nothing since the ark would have toasted the nazis with or without his help. In that context, the reveal that he’s also a creeper who was macking on a 13 year old makes absolute sense, and was probably only cut because they realized it was a bridge too far for audiences to accept

That idea is squashed because Kasdan just tells George "no, George, that's hosed up" and Spielberg bridges into aging her up from that an ambiguous amount.

The whole spitballing Indiana Jones transcript is amazing because it's a great idea of 3 different creatives with different styles working out a big idea in collaboration.

Darko fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 14, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

STAR WARS

This is so much better than the actual Episode 9 premise that I'm going to make it CANON. Just an excellent short story.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Bad scene:

The overly long light saber duel between Obi Wan and Anakin where they scale falling towers, fight on top of lava scooping droids? and it eventually ends because the height advantage provided by a gently rolling lava beach is insurmountable.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Good prequel scenes: any episode 3 scenes with villains in them

Bad scenes: Pretty much everything else. Top-tier garbage would be someone doing spin moves while Christopher Lee's pasted-on head floats over the screen, amid the mounting horror that you waited two hours for this

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Infidelicious posted:

Bad scene:

The overly long light saber duel between Obi Wan and Anakin where they scale falling towers, fight on top of lava scooping droids? and it eventually ends because the height advantage provided by a gently rolling lava beach is insurmountable.

fans: show us two bad-rear end jedi at the height of their power

also fans: no not like that

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
he has the (moral) high ground

also anakin is like, standing on top of a floating platform and jumping straight at him, standing on a river bank. in the fighting all over the towers, they were clinging onto all sorts of nonsense and neither of them had firm footing.

you are right, however, in that george lucas should have used more extensive greenscreen and cgi to make the 'gently rolling lava beach' look like a more precarious piece of high ground. there are too many sets and not enough vfx in the prequels

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ungulateman posted:

he has the (moral) high ground

also anakin is like, standing on top of a floating platform and jumping straight at him, standing on a river bank. in the fighting all over the towers, they were clinging onto all sorts of nonsense and neither of them had firm footing.

you are right, however, in that george lucas should have used more extensive greenscreen and cgi to make the 'gently rolling lava beach' look like a more precarious piece of high ground. there are too many sets and not enough vfx in the prequels

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

it's actually a pretty steep hill when you look at it although it's not as immediately visually clear as it could be.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Horizon Burning posted:

to be fair the fight between obi wan and anakin is ridiculously fast and ferocious

it doesn't build well but starts with a bang

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Horizon Burning posted:

More like show me an interesting fight between two friends with any amount of emotional depth, not wub wub wub tssszzchchch for an eternity then try and pull it back with Obi Wan's monologue

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ungulateman posted:

there are too many sets and not enough vfx in the prequels
Solaronite level take!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This comes up endlessly and I think it was SMG who finally pointed out that what it actually is that they used some new digital technique or overlaid something or other to make the cgi blend in with the models a bit better so it all looked the same, which obviously succeeded very well at the cost of everyone on earth thinking the latter along with the marketing at the time about the cgi effects

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The action sequence in the control panel room is particularly good.

Infidelicious posted:

wub wub wub tssszzchchch for an eternity
New thread title, clearly.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 15, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Infidelicious posted:

More like show me an interesting fight between two friends with any amount of emotional depth, not wub wub wub tssszzchchch for an eternity then try and pull it back with Obi Wan's monologue

The endless sword battle on the erupting volcano is more interesting than the speechy stuff.

Specifically, the point of the volcano battle is that it’s a repetition of Throne Room without Luke’s pacifism or Vader’s radical leftism - the two crucial elements that fans ignored. Since the volcano is also, narratively, the last Star Wars action scene, it’s a culmination of not just that failure but of all the previous failures. It’s the ultimate expression of this endless Star Wars cycle of combat between misguided liberals and dipshit fascists. Picture two lightsabers twirling into eachother, forever.

But then, “A New Hope” now specifically refers to Padme’s radical act of suicide and to the emergence of Vader. The pacifism and radical leftism are isolated from the chaff of the sword-fight. It’s the ultimate twist.

TLJ’s ‘meta’ stuff is artless and redundant by comparison.

Obiwan and Anakin’s dialogue during the volcano scene isn’t as important because it’s just two characters who have reached philosophical conclusions that are entirely coherent, entirely opposite, and wrong.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Padme’s radical act of suicide

Way past cool!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

This is so much better than the actual Episode 9 premise that I'm going to make it CANON. Just an excellent short story.
Repent, Palpatine! Said the Skywalker

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I liked the Mustafar duel, it's kind of a showcase of two powerful Jedi at their peak, they're so competent their fighting is more like a rehearsed dance, each anticipating the others moves both because they know each other so well but also because of their skill in the force.
It's also technically impressive because Ewan and Hayden really nailed the choreography.

I just wish that Anakins saber was green or something to distinguish it better against Obis

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just gonna take this saber, its not like youll need it anymore.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

McCloud posted:

I liked the Mustafar duel, it's kind of a showcase of two powerful Jedi at their peak, they're so competent their fighting is more like a rehearsed dance, each anticipating the others moves both because they know each other so well but also because of their skill in the force.
It's also technically impressive because Ewan and Hayden really nailed the choreography.

I just wish that Anakins saber was green or something to distinguish it better against Obis

The choreography making it look like a rehearsed dance is not a positive thing. For too much of the fight it doesn't actually look like they're trying to hit each other, it's just 15 minutes of that awful sword-tapping that infests the prequels.

I suppose the problem is that visually there's not much difference between "anticipating the others moves both because they know each other so well but also because of their skill in the force", and repeating a rote sequence of moves in which it's clear that both participants know that they're not going to hit their opponent.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Tarnop posted:

The choreography making it look like a rehearsed dance is not a positive thing. For too much of the fight it doesn't actually look like they're trying to hit each other, it's just 15 minutes of that awful sword-tapping that infests the prequels.

I suppose the problem is that visually there's not much difference between "anticipating the others moves both because they know each other so well but also because of their skill in the force", and repeating a rote sequence of moves in which it's clear that both participants know that they're not going to hit their opponent.

Jedi fights should just be Scanners.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tarnop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

:perfect: