Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I didn't watch the recent movies but I thought the one last year revealed that wizard hitler was using wizard fascism to stop WW2 or something?

If I'm remembering it correctly, he used his magic to show a bunch of wizards that WWII was coming and that things were going to be totally hosed if they didn't join up with him to rule over the muggles to stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I only saw the 1st Harry Potter movie and even then I thought that the word "muggle" was being used like a racial slur.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I didn't watch the recent movies but I thought the one last year revealed that wizard hitler was using wizard fascism to stop WW2 or something?

The only moral abortion fascism is my abortion fascism.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Used to get constant shares on facebook from chud friends and family from OAN and Breitbart. In the last month or so they quit showing up under those names, now they just show youtube.com, but keep the video title.

Anyone have a link to something indepth about it? Are the sites skirting facebooks paltry attempts at stemming fake news, or are their names so sullied that they really do need to keep their own names off of them to get clicks?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

T-man posted:

Dumbledore hosed wizard hitler

gently caress: Dumbledore
Marry: Wizard
Kill: Hitler

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Less war crimes more orc rhymes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Arglebargle III posted:

Zug Zug motherfucker
Raenor born and bred
But when I saw that crazy portal got it into my head
Maybe I'll go through into Azeroth
Take all this Orcish baggage and just shake it off
But holy lok'tar this poo poo's dabu
All these pink-skinned humans tryna get at you
They got bows and swords and they acting all mean
As if they never seen a player with skin that's green
Aight, that's cool, I got Thrall on my side
I got goblin motherfuckers that ball in my ride
death knights and ogres watching my back
If those pointy-eared bitches try a sneak attack
So go ahead pussies up in Lordaeron
Get your horses ready and your armor on
You'll be facing the facts
When you're tasting my axe
Every elf and human gonna land on their backs

Orcs out

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Arglebargle III posted:

Orc Cop, never gonna stop
Better watch the clock, cause an orc is a cop, now
Half orc, half cop, Orc is on top
Cop is on the bottom, scales? Badge? Yeah, he got ‘em
Walk into the station, and to my surprise
There was a big rear end orc right beside the guys!
I said "Who’s this?" He Said, "I'm Orc Cop"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL2yG3bgIgg

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
This one came up on my Facebook feed today.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Pretty sure some of the deepest cuts to the Roman empire happened whenever someone wanted to go all MAGA and unify the people against a minority culture. Who would then lash back and take a chunk out of the empire.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

outsourcing? what?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Root causes for the fall of the Roman Empire: Things and Stuff

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Also, gotta love the multiple "oh no! Gays!" dogwhistles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but sodomy had been a death penalty offense in the Roman Empire for a long time before it fell, right?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Crusaders sacking Constantinople?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Killer robot posted:

Putting military cuts, exploding taxation, and unbearable debt on the same page. The military is known for being a tax neutral organization, of course.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Killer robot posted:

No, no! Everybody knows the Roman Empire was brought down by opponents of the Second Amendment in ARE CONSTITUTION and Internet social justice warriors. And they took Christ out of Christmas!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
By "decline of morality" and "unchecked debauchery" do they mean how they replaced their carefully checked debauchery and worship of a pantheon with compulsory worship of that one Middle Eastern guy and his god that you weren't even allowed to look at?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Loss of common language? That's weird, I could have sworn they had something that started with L which was so universal that places Romans sneezed towards still use their vocab today

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I remember hearing once that the Romans regarded the games as a bulwark against decadence, so that they never lost a taste for blood.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Also, gotta love the multiple "oh no! Gays!" dogwhistles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but sodomy had been a death penalty offense in the Roman Empire for a long time before it fell, right?

No, it had only recently been officially banned to marry a person of the same sex in the late 300's with christian emperors. Granted, no one married that way under the pagan ones either, even Hadrian had a wife. If anything, its criminalization is a part of the western empire death throes. Prior, being the active participant was seen as fine, and the passive participant was bad if you kept doing it past your late teen years. Caesar was mocked as the "Queen of Bythinia" after he spent a bit too long on a diplomatic mission to the king there as a young man.

Ratoslov posted:

I remember hearing once that the Romans regarded the games as a bulwark against decadence, so that they never lost a taste for blood.

Pretty much, though again, with the christianization of the empire, the games kept being pulled back as it was seen as unchristian. Obviously the poplucae had other ideas.

Katt posted:

Pretty sure some of the deepest cuts to the Roman empire happened whenever someone wanted to go all MAGA and unify the people against a minority culture. Who would then lash back and take a chunk out of the empire.

Yeah, if anything, the borders were too closed. Adrianople happened after the Romans hosed over Goths that were seeking asylum within Rome's borders as the Huns moved into their lands in the late 300's. The let them in, then reneged on the terms. In response, the Goths trounced a Roman army and killed the eastern Emperor in battle. Extremely cool and smart to do as the Huns are growing in power.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Brawnfire posted:

Loss of common language? That's weird, I could have sworn they had something that started with L which was so universal that places Romans sneezed towards still use their vocab today

Everyone knows all civilized people spoke Greek, actually. Pleb.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Orange Devil posted:

Everyone knows all civilized people spoke Greek, actually. Pleb.

lol at someone pretending to be rhomaioi but caring about the ancient notion of the "pleb."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Roman empire was a strong Christian society so they spoke what the bible is written in, American English

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Stranger than the wholly inaccurate details is the overall thesis that Rome falling was a bad thing that should not have happened

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

tek79 posted:

No, no! Everybody knows the Roman Empire was brought down by opponents of the Second Amendment in ARE CONSTITUTION and Internet social justice warriors. And they took Christ out of Christmas!

I thought the problem was the invading Ottomens?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I thought the problem was the invading Ottomens?

no I think it was an italian fleet sanctioned by the Pontifex Maximus of Rome that ruined and sacked the capital of the empire.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Katt posted:

I think you'll find the Roman Empire fell because of whatever I personally am opposed to, and this has been true for centuries.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Plom Bar posted:

Stranger than the wholly inaccurate details is the overall thesis that Rome falling was a bad thing that should not have happened

They probably believe that if they could only live in a modern Roman Empire they could freely, perhaps even be encouraged to, do a roman salute in public.

(of course let's ignore the fact there's little-to-no evidence of the "Roman Salute" ever being used by the Romans)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

There's this idea that Rome was the culmination of intellectual and social development and the wellspring of everything good in the West. And I'm not going to say Rome didn't contribute anything to society, but they were also a slave state that invaded every place they could find for profit. To people living in subjugated territories, Rome was the great oppressor that needed to die. And the so-called "Dark Ages" were not the uniform nightmare people claim, but a more complicated back-and-forth between many civilizations. Some of this Rome mythologizing is probably harmless, but the idea of a fallen utopia that we should return to can be dangerous; Mussolini explicitly framed fascist Italy as the restoration of the Roman Empire.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 15, 2020

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The Tang Dynasty was the first and last true meritocracy when they created the Imperial Examination system. After that, it's just been people gaming the system.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Rome invented many crude and funny curse words, so by my Teenager's Scale of Moral Worth it's actually one of the best things in the ancient world

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

no I think it was an italian fleet sanctioned by the Pontifex Maximus of Rome that ruined and sacked the capital of the empire.

Yeah that's gone over my head, when was that?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lol at someone pretending to be rhomaioi but caring about the ancient notion of the "pleb."

Look at this modern decadence. Truly the decline in moral standards has led us astray :agesilaus:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Something to do with a certain Deus who very definitely Vult, if you will. Or well, a bunch of cosplayers who tried to replicate earlier succes and failed spectacularly, for the third time.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 15, 2020

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Venice sacked Constantinople during the 4th crusade because the Doge (and most of Europe by that time honestly) didnt give a poo poo about the crusades any more and saw it as an opportunity to leverage an age old grudge against their former overlords.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jurgan posted:

There's this idea that Rome was the culmination of intellectual and social development and the wellspring of everything good in the West. And I'm not going to say Rome didn't contribute anything to society, but they were also a slave state that invaded every place they could find for profit. To people living in subjugated territories, Rome was the great oppressor that needed to die. And the so-called "Dark Ages" were not the uniform nightmare people claim, but a more complicated back-and-forth between many civilizations. Some of this Rome mythologizing is probably harmless, but the idea of a fallen utopia that we should return to can be dangerous; Mussolini explicitly framed fascist Italy as the restoration of the Roman Empire.

That and the roman empire kept right on going without break until the 1400s, well after the Dark Ages.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

That and the roman empire kept right on going without break until the 1400s, well after the Dark Ages.

I know the Eastern/Byzantine Empire was a thing, but it's hard for me to accept that as the "Roman Empire" when Rome was no longer part of it.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jurgan posted:

I know the Eastern/Byzantine Empire was a thing, but it's hard for me to accept that as the "Roman Empire" when Rome was no longer part of it.

The Roman Empire was real, and Greek

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

it was an authentic italian holy roman empire, just like olive garden

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Look at this scrub who doesn't believe that Helsinki isn't Fourth Rome. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rome fell right after it started putting immigrants in concentration camps.