Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Every single day of this is two identical half-asleep faces looking at each other for three panels, and then one character "reacts" by raising their eyelids and having parenthesis shoot out of the sides of their head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (May 21, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 6-7, 1986)

Robbie and Bobby (Jan 12-13, 2015)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

The game they play is said to be "femkort och trumf", probably this [in Swedish]: https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femkort

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Kennel fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 14, 2020

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hey, that pig tries to barge in!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 6-7, 1986)
"They quickly divided Goldilocks into big, medium and small pieces and dunked them in the porridge that..." I absolutely loved that part as a child, so I still kinda do. :3:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars is FAST AND FURIOUS

Only recently jumped in on these strips so I didn't catch the start. Does Vader know that the spy is Luke? I'm assuming so and that he's wiped him from any database of wanted rebels. Otherwise you'd think that the guy who blew up the Death Star would be Bin Laden levels of infamous in the Empire.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lodin posted:

Only recently jumped in on these strips so I didn't catch the start. Does Vader know that the spy is Luke? I'm assuming so and that he's wiped him from any database of wanted rebels. Otherwise you'd think that the guy who blew up the Death Star would be Bin Laden levels of infamous in the Empire.
Vader knows the spy is a rebel, but not that it's Luke. But yeah, the idea that the guy who blew up the Death Star isn't like public enemy #1 sticks out. Anyway. Star Wars

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

To answer Arlo's question, Betelgeuse is over 600 light-years away, which is too far away to really affect us unless its spin axis was pointed precisely at us (and it isn't). If it goes supernova, we'd get one hell of a light show for a few months (it'd be bright to enough to see in daylight and to read by at night) and afterward the night sky would be forever changed, but that's about it. As for whether this dimming indicates that a supernova is imminent, nobody knows for sure. And even if it does... well, by star standards, "imminent" could be a million years from now.

It's always been a variable star, but never THIS variable. And nobody knows if the dimming is the new normal or if it'll go back to its usual brightness soon. Variable stars can be temperamental.

Despite all that, the sudden change in what's usually one of the brightest stars in the sky is making the entire sky look... off. Go outside tonight and look up. Betelgeuse looks rather different than in the picture above.

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...
Ah yes... :allears: This brings back so many happy memories of how once I graduated from college (where I worked two on-campus jobs to pay off my student loans) I soon found myself working two off-campus jobs seven days a week (M-F and W-Su) because I couldn't get my career started and I was paying rent to live at home which meant I was constantly being hit with fun little bon mots like, "Fox News said you Gen-Xers are lazy. Why don't you have a REAL job?"

root fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 14, 2020

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Classic Working Daze

VINTAGE Working Daze

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 14, 2020

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hobnob posted:

There used to be a whole bunch of weird etiquette involving men and women, like when walking down the side of the street the man had to be closest to the middle, and what's more you should walk up the right side of the street so the woman would be on the right, as that was the more honoured position. It persisted long enough that I'd occasionally be corrected on it by my teachers (growing up in the UK in the 70s/80s).

Huh. I always heard the rule was that the man should walk on the outside, closest to the curb, so the woman would be protected from any splashes if someone rode/drove through street mess too fast.

And my favorite Outdated Encyclopedia Brown solution is the one where the crook claims he was at the bank cashing a check on a certain date, and Encyclopedia points out he couldn't possibly have done that because that date was a Sunday.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Selachian posted:

Huh. I always heard the rule was that the man should walk on the outside, closest to the curb, so the woman would be protected from any splashes if someone rode/drove through street mess too fast.

The man walks on the inside from what I've heard was due to people emptying chamber pots by dumping them out the window.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

And my favorite Outdated Encyclopedia Brown solution is the one where the crook claims he was at the bank cashing a check on a certain date, and Encyclopedia points out he couldn't possibly have done that because that date was a Sunday.

It seems to be one of those rules of etiquette that changes depending on when and where you are. I've heard the explanation for "men on the inside" was because of the fear that people will throw dirty water (or worse) out their windows into the street. But yeah it also changed to "men on the outside" for the reason you mention here.

E: Encyclopedia Brown chat: I read one where the key to solving the case was someone claimed to have used a knife to open a letter in a Chinese restaurant, but famously Chinese restaurants have no knives.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Zerilan posted:

The man walks on the inside from what I've heard was due to people emptying chamber pots by dumping them out the window.

It's the outside, but you got the reason correct. Sidewalks in the time of chamberpots were right next to the houses. People would try to throw their waste into the street so the arc from the upper floor window to the street meant that the outside position was in more danger of being hit.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Zip

Rip

Dick

Duck

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Selachian posted:

Yeah, I probably wasn't clear, the man should always be on the street side of the woman. The reason that you'd walk on the right side of the street was so that you could do that and be on the left of the woman.

And the reason for being on the left, as was explained to me, was so that your sword, which would be scabbarded the left side of your belt, wouldn't get tangled with the woman's skirts if you had to draw it to protect her from a ruffian.

Pointing out that (a) I didn't wear a sword, and (b) If I did I would wear it on the right since I'm left handed, cut no ice with my teachers.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always walk street-side under the assumption that if someone is going to get hit by a runaway car, I'd rather increase the likelihood it's just me than my wife or kids.

That or puddle splashes.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garf

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Edit: already covered man/woman walking etiquette stuff.

The only specific Encyclopedia Brown solution I still remember vividly was a guy had a sword that was supposedly given to a general after the First Battle of Bull Run and EB knew it was fake because it was engraved "For the First Battle of Bull Run" and he was like "How would they know it was the first when they hadn't had a second yet?"

F Minus

:lol:

Mark Trail

No they weren't. This is dumb.

Mary Worth

Apparently, MW has become "Edge of Drama" since they keep killing interesting possibilities before they happen.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

This could very well be why time machines don't exist.

Apartment 3-G

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hobnob posted:

And the reason for being on the left, as was explained to me, was so that your sword, which would be scabbarded the left side of your belt, wouldn't get tangled with the woman's skirts if you had to draw it to protect her from a ruffian.

Strangely enough, I always heard that as the justification for why the man traditionally stands on the right when getting married -- so his right arm would be free in case he needed to draw his sword.

I'm starting to think traditions don't always make a whole lot of sense.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Hawkeye Gough from downtown!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Powered Descent posted:

Strangely enough, I always heard that as the justification for why the man traditionally stands on the right when getting married -- so his right arm would be free in case he needed to draw his sword.

Why would I ever marry some chump who doesn't dual wield.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Powered Descent posted:

It was probably just some social convention and then people in the 19th and 20th century made up justifications out of thin air.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Transmodiar posted:

Classic Working Daze

VINTAGE Working Daze

The art and jokes aren't completely terrible. What the hell happened?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Archyduchess posted:

Why would I ever marry some chump who doesn't dual wield.

sometimes you want someone who specializes in certain stances

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Powered Descent posted:

To answer Arlo's question, Betelgeuse is over 600 light-years away, which is too far away to really affect us unless its spin axis was pointed precisely at us (and it isn't). If it goes supernova, we'd get one hell of a light show for a few months (it'd be bright to enough to see in daylight and to read by at night) and afterward the night sky would be forever changed, but that's about it. As for whether this dimming indicates that a supernova is imminent, nobody knows for sure. And even if it does... well, by star standards, "imminent" could be a million years from now.

It's always been a variable star, but never THIS variable. And nobody knows if the dimming is the new normal or if it'll go back to its usual brightness soon. Variable stars can be temperamental.

Despite all that, the sudden change in what's usually one of the brightest stars in the sky is making the entire sky look... off. Go outside tonight and look up. Betelgeuse looks rather different than in the picture above.

And that's what Arlo is doing, "what harm could it do" refers to going outside to wait for the lightshow with a blanket and a full thermos. :)

By the way, if some of you are a night sky idiot like me then download and install Stellarium, it makes it easy to understand what you can see from your location at different times! It's fun to just play with too, in case you live in a big city where stars can't be seen. And it's free!

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 14, 2020

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Multiple instance of Working Daze is pretty much the level of suffering we deserve.

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 29-30, 1932)

Peanuts (January 15-16, 1973)

Funky Winkerbean, in which Mason Jarre got tired of being a marketable face (at least as far as the Funkyverse is concerned), and a dude who's had a property shoved through movie development before assumes that not hearing something for a month means that a project is dead.

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 13-14, 1936)

Out Our Way (December 25-27, 1933)

Toonerville Folks, in which the staff and management of the New Orleans Times-Picayune wishes you a safe and sane Fourth. (July 4-6, 1916)

Dok's "That's Not How Police Bribery Works, Dude" Duck (January 16, 1913)

We're still doing Rube Goldberg, but welcome to the part of the thread where I have trouble keeping multiple balls in the air. :shrug:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

EasyEW posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

The first two panels of this are a cute enough gag but he just couldn't help himself.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
I double-checked and Darthemed is correct! We don't have Sunday strips until May 10, 1981. Plus, the first one is the one that I posted earlier, so it'll be a re-post but in color.

Bloom County
December 23rd and 24th, 1980

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Rogue element Lovelace runs into more rogues in a backstreet "situation" sure to quicken the pulse.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Cowslips Warren posted:

When I was debating about coming out, DTWOF was something I started reading, and while it didn't help much (because gently caress you Sydney she was always the worst) in terms of what to expect, it did humanize gay people overall because the only ones I knew of otherwise were Elton John and Ellen.

I do remember most of the cast but one of the best later strips was when one of the couple's kids went to camp, and his gay uncle worked there, and some kids began calling something gay, naturally meaning stupid and lame. The kid asked his uncle about this, and the uncle retorted that gay meant awesome, for example, his shirt, which was tight and form fitting and showed off his muscles; by comparison one of the other camp counselors likely wore the same shirt, stained and loose, because it was the only clean thing in his closet. Kid goes home and asks his moms to get him more tight fitting muscle shirts because "they're super gay."

I remember that strip! DtWOF was a weird part of my childhood, since Bechdel's strips ran in the weekly free paper. Imagine being 8 and your funny pages are DtWOF, Doonsbury, and like a bunch of oddball local artists complaining about the local government.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

The Mystery Deepens

Get Fuzzy 1/13/00

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 03, 1937)

Cowslips Warren posted:

I do remember most of the cast but one of the best later strips was when one of the couple's kids went to camp, and his gay uncle worked there, and some kids began calling something gay, naturally meaning stupid and lame. The kid asked his uncle about this, and the uncle retorted that gay meant awesome, for example, his shirt, which was tight and form fitting and showed off his muscles; by comparison one of the other camp counselors likely wore the same shirt, stained and loose, because it was the only clean thing in his closet. Kid goes home and asks his moms to get him more tight fitting muscle shirts because "they're super gay."

I happened to have exactly one panel of DTWOF on my computer.

JethroMcB posted:

Every single day of this is two identical half-asleep faces looking at each other for three panels, and then one character "reacts" by raising their eyelids and having parenthesis shoot out of the sides of their head

It's easily one of the worst strips I've seen.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Transmodiar posted:

Classic Working Daze

VINTAGE Working Daze

These both really throw into stark relief how godawful the current Working Daze art is! Miller in particular has a sort of breezy 90s clipart style that's fairly pleasant to look at. (Also presumably helps that the classic strips we've seen so far are just fairly generic office humor and not nerd_thing.txt on repeat...)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (June 19, 1988)

Aw, Jon let Lyman out of the crawlspace.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Incredible art in this one.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

LOL god drat I remember the Bob Jones thing. Ah, memories... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm enjoying vintage Prince Val, except for the part where the narrative insists on calling the heavily physically and mentally disabled man 'it' and 'the creature'.

Thorg is a human being, Foster!