Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The only loving thing that happened in Nottingham this Christmas was a kid lost a finger on the lovely ice-skating rink they put up in the market square every year, clearly this is a tourist hotspot better than any foreign country

E: 69 miles from home is much too far for any kind of vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
with the climate crisis, deepfakes and VR ending the flight, selfie and experience factors of travel respectively, the travel era is rapidly coming to a close. just go somewhere and stay there

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Good news, the DWP definitely had holidays abroad in mind when they decided how much to give disabled people on Universal Credit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1215478223980695553

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

The Deleter posted:

Love to go into Middlesbrough and stare at the three dead shopping centers and the rows of lovely takeaways and vape shops, so much more interesting than any holiday

If your only source of interest is looking at places then you'll probably want to travel, yes. I'm suggesting that there are other things to do. Reading, making, learning, socializing, caring, arguing, enjoying nature (because even people in Middlesbrough can get to that), doing experiments. There is not enough time in a life to do everything, even if you don't spend loads of it in forms of transport.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

travel's hugely overrated, everywhere's much the same imo

Feel like this may be the gooniest single post ever.

I'll be honest, I didn't think "going around and broadening your horizons by seeing new places, meeting new people, taking in the sights & sounds is nice" would be a controversial take but I apologise for the assumption.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 14, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

travel's hugely overrated, everywhere's much the same imo

you sound nervous, your mushroom hoard must be close

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

This is such a depressing post.

I haven't been abroad since I was 16 but at some point when I actually have money I really want to go places. See historical sites and cultural spots, talk to people from different places. I also totally want to laze on a warm quiet beach under some shade with a stack of books to devour. Another experience you can't really get here.

I want to go to Russia, Japan, Italy, Chile, Greece, Spain, I want to go to Flanders in a wet weekend in March to see bike racing. There's a whole world out there of beautiful places and fascinating people. Don't stay in loving Middlesbrough

Except I know myself well enough to know that yes, I could go and do that, but it would actually make me happier. My life would not actually be better if I was looking at an old building or something just because it's further away from where I spend most of my time. It's not an experience I would be able to treasure for the rest of my life, it's something that might be nice in the moment and which, like everything, would fade and be lost like everything else in my head.

So instead I'm happy with where I am, I have a nice forest and moor near enough that I can get to them easily, and a nice beach when we get some sunshine, and I can go to those and be happy there for a little while, and when I forget them it doesn't matter, little was expended to get there.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Context?

Oh dear me posted:

Our own localities are full of exciting and interesting things to do, including things that are a lot more useful than lying on a beach or taking 'I was here!' photographs, and our lives are not long enough to do all of them. Travel might easily be something people do because they're unimaginative, or do not stretch themselves enough to achieve anything more difficult.

Nah it's really cool to go somewhere new, rather than to some shithole in the UK. Im glad I went to Germany last year rather than Middlesborough.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I split my time between opposite ends of the Earth with my jobs in *checks notes* the environmental sector, and I've been lucky enough to travel to lots of cool places

Get involved with a local rewilding/tree planting project, or dig into some peat bog restoration. Or pay someone else to do it.

Offset yourself.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

marktheando posted:

Nah it's really cool to go somewhere new, rather than to some shithole in the UK. Im glad I went to Germany last year rather than Middlesborough.

I'm incredibly glad I went to see L'assedio di Calais, but I don't loving sneer at people who'd rather not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like my idea of a fun day out is baking some scones, packing them up along with some sandwiches the night before into a backpack, then getting up at like 4 in the morning in late spring and seeing how far across the moor I can make it with a backpack and a cloak and a walking stick before I get knackered, and eating some of the food every time I get to a landmark. Take a new path through the forest on the way up, and beeline it back by the easy routes.

And but for a couple of quid's worth of petrol and some food it costs bugger all, and that it costs bugger all is part of the appeal, I feel better knowing that I'm integrating my recreation with my environment efficiently.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Like my idea of a fun day out

Sounds awesome, but I'd like to add a spot of insect recording to it, the moors must be good for that.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

OwlFancier posted:

Like my idea of a fun day out is baking some scones, packing them up along with some sandwiches the night before into a backpack, then getting up at like 4 in the morning in late spring and seeing how far across the moor I can make it with a backpack and a cloak and a walking stick before I get knackered, and eating some of the food every time I get to a landmark. Take a new path through the forest on the way up, and beeline it back by the easy routes.

Hope you keep an eye out for the nazgūl

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

I'll be honest, I didn't think "going around and broadening your horizons by seeing new places, meeting new people, taking in the sights & sounds is nice" would be a controversial take but I apologise for the assumption.

I mean this is the thread that brought us "Notre Dame burning down is good, actually"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

Sounds awesome, but I'd like to add a spot of insect recording to it, the moors must be good for that.

I guess if you like ticks. And bolshy curlews which technically aren't insects but also like to hide in the heather and then jump out at you.

There's probably a lot more but I don't go looking, generally lots of butterflies in the forest though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

I'm incredibly glad I went to see L'assedio di Calais, but I don't loving sneer at people who'd rather not.

I'm not sneering at anyone for fucks sake.

Well maybe rolling my eyes at you a bit for making me look up what L'assedio di Calais is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean this is the thread that brought us "Notre Dame burning down is good, actually"
I'm fine with preserving gothic architecture, but it should be preserved in a museum so that we remember never to do it again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Assadio de Calais is the guy the daily mail assures me is the going to invade britain through the chunnel.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Who is this person, don't watch much TV, and why did she cry?

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 14, 2020

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

forkboy84 posted:

I'll be honest, I didn't think "going around and broadening your horizons

this horizon of yours is an artifact of vision. it does not have "breadth", and if it did, that measure would not be improved by relocation. you can attain a greater depth of view of course (think draw distance). the best horizon is attained at high altitude, anywhere that's out at sea far enough that no part of your field of view is obscured by land.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

don't watch much TB

?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

happyhippy posted:

Who is this person, don't watch much TB, and why did she cry?

https://twitter.com/AGlasgowGirl/status/1215960824696668160?s=20

this horizon of yours is an artifact of vision. it does not have "breadth", and if it did, that measure would not be improved by relocation. you can attain a greater depth of view of course (think draw distance). the best horizon is attained at high altitude, anywhere that's out at sea far enough that no part of your field of view is obscured by land.

What about to the moon?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

All these 47" plasma flatscreen bullshit are just becoming status symbols. God I hate conspicuous consumption.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

I guess if you like ticks. And bolshy curlews which technically aren't insects but also like to hide in the heather and then jump out at you.

There's probably a lot more but I don't go looking, generally lots of butterflies in the forest though.

ticks aren't insects either, they're arachnids. the only bad arachnids

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ticks aren't insects either, they're arachnids. the only bad arachnids
Itch mites are also terrible.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I was bitten by a tick once and I was convinced I was going to die of Lyme disease for about six months afterwards

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A friend of mine went to australia recently and went to see Uluru, and apparently they're banning people from climbing it soon. The people who live there do ask people not to climb it for a mix of religious and environmental reasons, but a lot of people do anyway.

My friend decided not to do it (because she was asked) and the australian lady she was staying with gave her poo poo for it, apparently her position was that if you wanted to go and do it you should, it's your holiday and if you want to conquer a landmark you should. Take what you want from the world.

My friend felt conflicted, because she said that she'd be one of the last people allowed to climb it, and she wasn't sure if she'd turned down the chance to do something special.

So I pointed out that equally she's one of the last people to make the decision not to climb it. And that's possibly a rarer thing, and a better thing. The opportunity is to make the choice, not just the outcomes.

I don't know that going places and doing things really improves you as a person, I don't think the value of a person comes from the things they've stood on, or under, or next to.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's a loving hypothetical trip to the moon. Yes I don't think anyone can guarantee my safe return from Lidl let alone Virgin not smashing me straight into the ground but that's not the spirit of the game is it? Someone asks you you want to go to the moon you say yes please.

Just such a sheer lack of adventure and imagination coming off you lot, honestly.

:hai:

I'd go to the Moon if there was a 50/50 chance I'd not be coming back, frankly. Hell you could probably push it higher than that.

There doesn't have to be anything to do there because you're on the loving Moon holy loving poo poo!

Like, do people not want to climb the sides of Vallis Marineris either? Scale Olympus Mons? Feel the rings of Saturn flow through your fingers?? Do people not want to experience things in their own right? I'm kinda wigged out that in a thread like this people think there needs to be a 'reason' to do stuff outside the joy/accomplishment of just doing it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if we lived in a post scarcity society then sure but we don't.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know that going places and doing things really improves you as a person, I don't think the value of a person comes from the things they've stood on, or under, or next to.

It's really bizarre to me that this is the focus. There's more to travel than looking at things. What about exploring other cultures, experiencing other ways of life, having your world view tested. There's so much bullshit in the UK that we just take for granted as being the way things are, and all of that goes out of the window once you look at life through another culture's eyes

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I don't feel the need to experience anything in this world, going to other places on holiday is nice but I also don't get anything from it, other than the pains of spending money needlessly, so yeah, unless seeing an old building will literally change my life, I'm not gonna do it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

It's really bizarre to me that this is the focus. There's more to travel than looking at things. What about exploring other cultures, experiencing other ways of life, having your world view tested. There's so much bullshit in the UK that we just take for granted as being the way things are, and all of that goes out of the window once you look at life through another culture's eyes

I suppose I'm not wanting for alternate views of the world, I've already got one that's somewhat rare in the UK.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Like, do people not want to climb the sides of Vallis Marineris either? Scale Olympus Mons? Feel the rings of Saturn flow through your fingers??
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to post.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Unkempt posted:

I'm more annoyed by the terrible response to the Apollo question on Only Connect last night frankly.
What was the question?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Fair enough if standing next to the Eiffel Tower or the Leaning Tower of Pisa and taking selfies isn't your thing, I dunno, talk to some protesters in Paris about how they do political organisation or see what the attitude to gentrification is on the street in Berlin. Or sit on a random park bench opposite That Bridge in Prague with your partner as the snow starts to come down and look at the stars. It doesn't have to be a vacant scenic tour, it can be educational, it can be spiritual. It's what you make of it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
To be fair I did most of that at Butlins years ago, the Power Ranger parade was a very spiritual experience.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah my contention is that spirituality or education can't be found locally.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

efb but the above clip doesn't include the incredibly dense followup from ian macwhirter

https://twitter.com/Lookinupatstars/status/1215604654287073282?s=20

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Every reader of the Daily Mail, Express, Torygraph and Sun should have the experience of being an immigrant, the foreigner, being simultaneously responsible for the revolution and the counter-revolution, simultaneously stealing all 'are' jobs and using 'are' state-funded services (even when you are paying for yourself), and being called the white-face equivalent of 'friend of the family' because they think you don't understand the lingo.This experience can only be got from living abroad for a while.