Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

how many c2s are they going to gloss over in the deicr?

I do not know what this means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Looks like some proper progress happening! :)

Have you been living without the heating until now? (or has it just been on/off without a thermostat?)

Please get the label printer on the job here and replace all those scribbles!

Jaded Burnout posted:

While failing to find my tone generator I did manage to find all the tools for my boiler filter, you know, the one I spent £20 on buying a new one? So now I have two.
.. and I bet next time you need it you cant find either of them!

I lost my tone generator and label printer recently. One of my clients has since found my label printer in their server room so I am now hoping that my tone generator is somewhere else in the same building!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Looks like some proper progress happening! :)

Have you been living without the heating until now? (or has it just been on/off without a thermostat?)

There's a stat on the connection from the boiler to the manifold, so I've been using that plus manually adjusting flow per zone to control temperature. Not exactly convenient!

Tomarse posted:

Please get the label printer on the job here and replace all those scribbles!

You betcha. I'll probably do a proper floorplan printout.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

I do not know what this means.
c2 is a category 2 fault that a sparky can find while producing a domestic electrical inspection condition report. if it's c1 they're not supposed to leave a site without fixing it as its the most serious, c2 is still a fail while 3 & 4 cover your old install doesn't fit new standards or other lower priority issues

did they seriously mark the board for a reinspection in 2029? should be a 5 year cycle. and is that smoke alarm listing accurate? if so you'll want to upgrade by feb 2021 to ld3 at least as there are tolerable standard changes that come into force then and apply to ALL households:
- 1x smoke alarm in the hallway (per floor inc. converted lofts)
- 1x smoke alarm in the livingroom (or rather your most commonly used room in the daytime)
- 1x heat sensor in the next kitchen
- the big catch is they all have to be interlinked

it's p likely to impact your home insurance and will be a requirement for any sales obviously

house is coming along well despite your old builders trying their best to warm up the place

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

c2 is a category 2 fault that a sparky can find while producing a domestic electrical inspection condition report. if it's c1 they're not supposed to leave a site without fixing it as its the most serious, c2 is still a fail while 3 & 4 cover your old install doesn't fit new standards or other lower priority issues

did they seriously mark the board for a reinspection in 2029? should be a 5 year cycle. and is that smoke alarm listing accurate? if so you'll want to upgrade by feb 2021 to ld3 at least as there are tolerable standard changes that come into force then and apply to ALL households:
- 1x smoke alarm in the hallway (per floor inc. converted lofts)
- 1x smoke alarm in the livingroom (or rather your most commonly used room in the daytime)
- 1x heat sensor in the next kitchen
- the big catch is they all have to be interlinked

it's p likely to impact your home insurance and will be a requirement for any sales obviously

house is coming along well despite your old builders trying their best to warm up the place

You seem to be getting a little bit overrighteous here. A quick googling suggests 10 years is the recommendation for owner-occupied homes.

I also already have a grade D LD3 system, according to this:

quote:

Grade D - System incorporating one or more interlinked mains powered smoke alarms (and heat alarms if required), each with an integral stand-by supply. The interlink can be hardwired or radio-interlinked.
LD3 - A system incorporating detectors in all circulation spaces that form part of the escape routes from the premises

Technically there's only one circulation area in the house and all 3 alarms are in it. The upcoming requirement for a linked alarm in the most commonly occupied area (lol if they think people won't disable those if it means they can't smoke in their living room) is annoying but not too bad since I work from home and my home office has the same accessible loft space as the upstairs hallway alarm.

We resolved all faults before they signed off, just took a couple of hours more and a quick trip to screwfix.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Welp, looks like the freezer didn't get plugged back in yesterday. It needed a defrost but ideally not like this.

I'm decently impressed that it only came up above 0 over 24 hours, but all my food needs binning now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

oof

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I hate that. My old upright freezer in the garage had inadequate self-closing, and we managed to let it self-defrost a couple times. Really sucked since that's the storage freezer for "buy meat when it's on sale" and such.
New one has a door-open and temp alarm. Which I guess wouldn't help in your case, since it needs power and all...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

New one has a door-open and temp alarm. Which I guess wouldn't help in your case, since it needs power and all...

Yeah :(

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I finally felt up to doing some physical labour, so I made a start at packing up some kits from all the garbage strewn about the place (admittedly strewn for this purpose).

Flagged up the very basic medical shiz in this pocket so I can find it when bleeding.

Common grab bag.

It's a start.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh also I had another guy round to quote on the upstairs bathroom, let's see if this one actually bothers.

Interestingly he told me the exact opposite of the last guy in terms of tray vs tile for the shower area.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Oh also I had another guy round to quote on the upstairs bathroom, let's see if this one actually bothers.

Interestingly he told me the exact opposite of the last guy in terms of tray vs tile for the shower area.

Have him quote the largest floor tiles you can find and see how it turns out. :haw:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

comfort > cuteness for showers, good luck

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Jaded Burnout posted:

scrubbing grout loving sucks hth

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Coasterphreak posted:

gently caress yes, it does. Our master bath shower is all 4” tile, and needs the grout cleaned, but I really don’t wanna.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Coasterphreak posted:

Which is why you do a dark grout

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Or just use a pressure washer...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm thinking of going for an ovolo profile on the skirting and architrave, painted or mildly stained depending on situation.

https://www.alsfordtimber.com/timbe...75mm-pr2575mova
https://www.alsfordtimber.com/timbe...mm-pr25150movcs

Plus maybe some kind of beefing up of the base of each architrave

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I've binged this entire thread this afternoon and I'm really awed that you just went "gently caress this" and taught yourself everything.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

HardDiskD posted:

I've binged this entire thread this afternoon and I'm really awed that you just went "gently caress this" and taught yourself everything.

I really do enjoy learning, and I've spent so much time in my profession that learning new things there requires significant investment because while there's no end to the things I don't know, they tend to be quite sophisticated. That is to say I got all the low hanging fruit years ago. There's a certain pleasure I get from opening up a new (to me) field of study; lots of simple (I won't say easy) things to learn.

All of this stuff is perhaps a little different, because while there's a lot of knowledge to be had, the scale is swung way into the skill end, but it's enjoyable nonetheless. And having skills in general is something I value a lot for its own sake.

That said, it would all have been done an awful lot sooner if I left the scales on my eyes in terms of quality of workmanship and just got other people to do everything for me.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I've been lurking on this thread quite a while and I'm impressed with the progress. Good work. Backyard looks great.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
I'm just amazed that you've been working on this house for about 3 years now. Wow.

Edit: I know you said that you do software development professionally, what's your focus in it if you don't mind me asking? What I guess I mean to say is, what type of development work do you typically do? (Websites ,databases, phone apps, etc.)

Eulogistics fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 8, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Eulogistics posted:

Edit: I know you said that you do software development professionally, what's your focus in it if you don't mind me asking? What I guess I mean to say is, what type of development work do you typically do? (Websites ,databases, phone apps, etc.)

Without going into too much detail, website stuff.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I too have just binged this entire thread over the last couple of days and the amount of stuff you've done yourself (mistakes included) is inspiring. As a recent home buyer it definitely makes me rethink the work required for some of my DIY plans.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's the unknown unknowns that'll get you every time.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Senor Tron posted:

I too have just binged this entire thread over the last couple of days and the amount of stuff you've done yourself (mistakes included) is inspiring. As a recent home buyer it definitely makes me rethink the work required for some of my DIY plans.

The trick is figuring out what you want and can do vs what you don't care to spend time struggling on and is better left to a pro!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
JB I just wanna know how you've managed to explode so many impact driver bits

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dunno. I'm not much of a metallurgist.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

brugroffil posted:

JB I just wanna know how you've managed to explode so many impact driver bits

comedy option, he's not buying impact bits

and/or no name brand where they put impact on the box but they are actually regular bits

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

Holy poo poo you just solved a problem for me

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

and/or no name brand where they put impact on the box but they are actually regular bits

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BU0IVW2

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I would trust DeWalt for sure but the top few reviews say the bits are bad for impact usage. Now I haven't looked at other brands reviews so maybe they say the same?

Phone posting I'll probably look some up later because now I'm curious.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mister Dog posted:

Holy poo poo you just solved a problem for me

Double post, I'm intrigued by this post :)

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Double post, I'm intrigued by this post :)

I too explode many bits and up until now neglected to notice that there’s such a thing as an impact bit.

I’ll show myself out

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I mean, they're designed for it. I only really snap them when they've been in use for a while and I'm pushing them.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Idk the Milwaukee bits I use wear out over time but I've never had one break apart

schmug
May 20, 2007

That's why Phillips heads are far superior - they very rarely break. They strip out and round over long before that happens!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

I mean, they're designed for it. I only really snap them when they've been in use for a while and I'm pushing them.

After doing 5 minutes of research I found one website that tested different bits, but lol they tested them with phillips screws, I assume schmug was the tester :v:

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/hardware-fasteners/review-bit-battle-are-impact-rated-bits-worth-the-money/6447/

Sooo I dunno maybe you just are doing a lot of screwing and they are breaking as expected.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I dunno, I've broken tons of #2 phillips bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, I buy them in bulk 25 packs for work.