Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ganglysumbia posted:

The guy has some close to 2000 episodes, some will be dumb. And to say none are credible or know what they are saying probably says you should be one of his dumb listeners as well.

So who else should be listening to while sitting in traffic?

Bombshell
Arms Control Wonk
99% Invisible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

ganglysumbia posted:

So basically she is your average Republican?

Yes.
And since it's the DNC primary and not the RNC primary, I think that's good enough reason not to support her.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

Also, just as a reminder, Joe Rogan convincing Elon Musk's dumb rear end to smoke weed on camera cost US taxpayers $5 million.
Had to look this up.
https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-smoking-joe-rogans-weed-somehow-ended-up-cost-1839116211

“the U.S. government does not like marijuana—and in this instance, it disliked it so much it spent $5 million to demonstrate its displeasure.”

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

ganglysumbia posted:

The guy has some close to 2000 episodes, some will be dumb. And to say none are credible or know what they are saying probably says you should be one of his dumb listeners as well.

Legacy of Ashes is a good history of the CIA's failures over the years.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Nthing Hardcore History

Big shoutout to Behind the Bastards and Worst Year Ever. BtB is a good and funny dive into lovely people. Worst Year Ever is the same people covering this lovely election. They are the ones who talked about Gabbard's shady rear end cult dealings.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
https://maximumfun.org/podcasts/friendly-fire/

Is a good podcast of three guys who have never been in the military reviewing war films.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Behind the Bastards is fun. Robert Evans does great work.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ganglysumbia posted:

All The President's Lawyers is my go-to Wednesday political podcast, as it's basically like if we had legal training and were talking about this poo poo.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I gave up on hardcore history when I realized actual histories are quite approachable as audiobooks without Dan Carlin's dumb digressions

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Mike Duncan's Revolutions podcast is v. good.

Seconding. I also dug his history of rome and the followup one history of byzantium that a fan of his did. Hardcore History is pretty good imo and so was Crime Town, Slow Burn etc. All vastly better than Rogan imo but that's not saying much at all.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I really really really like listening to The Dollop.
It’s two comedian buddies, discussing (mostly) American history. It’s pretty great.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

https://maximumfun.org/podcasts/friendly-fire/

Is a good podcast of three guys who have never been in the military reviewing war films.

I love them. It can get annoying how many questions the two nerds ask the mil history guy, especially when even he doesn't know the answer, but ocerall it's very funny and definitely worth listening to.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I really really really like listening to The Dollop.
It’s two comedian buddies, discussing (mostly) American history. It’s pretty great.

Just the name of it irritates me so loving much

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The whole genre of "a few guys take a very long time to read through 3 pages of material" that the dollop is a big part of is super popular and more power to the fans, but I just can't take it either.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

holy gently caress stop giving joe rogan views

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Only give Joe Rogan views if he has crazy people like Dan Aykroyd on to talk aliens and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2utCTvqlVI

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/AFP/status/1217157393752252416

Here we go again.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Kawasaki Nun posted:

They suggest blades, you escalate to guns, they pull their suggestion. It's a classic maneuver, you just call their bluff.

The Lincoln strategy.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

EBB posted:

holy gently caress stop giving joe rogan views

Seriously

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Eh, just the local militia saying hello.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I gave up on hardcore history when I realized actual histories are quite approachable as audiobooks without Dan Carlin's dumb digressions

I like hardcore history for what it is but it ain't good history.

Actual historians loathe Carlin. I'm indifferent but I'd probably hate him too if I had to deal with people who listened to a four hour podcast related to my field of study and they suddenly thought they were experts.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I swear to god 99% of the podcasts/youtubers can only cum if they're hearing themselves talk

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like Joe Rogan’s stand up comedy. I’ve tired of his podcast long ago, but I enjoy his stand up.

I enjoy most stand up comedy, it should be noted. I’m a loving huge fan of the genre, and there’s yucks to be had across the spectrum of comedians if you just give them all a try.

Really the only “comics” I don’t enjoy are the shock jock Schtick types. Howard Stern, Don Imus, etc.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Well Don Imus died a few weeks ago so there's no worry about his influence anymore.

Dude was a huge piece of boomer poo poo.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Well Don Imus died a few weeks ago so there's no worry about his influence anymore.

Dude was a huge piece of boomer poo poo.

Oh man was he ever.

I was glad when his rear end got canned over the “Nappy Headed Hoes” (I could be mid remembering the exact quote) drama.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Y'all forgot about Lions led by Donkeys

I wait eagerly for the "but wait, it gets worse!" in every episode.

Also re; Carlin, I saw him speak a few weeks back for the release of his book. He will always be the first to say he is nowhere NEAR a historian, just a fan of history. He's able to approach and present a subject that many, many people find incredibly dry in a way that gets people loving hooked.

But yes boxing analogies abound all the time.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 14, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Nope you got it

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

MA-Horus posted:

Y'all forgot about Lions led by Donkeys

I wait eagerly for the "but wait, it gets worse!" in every episode.

Also re; Carlin, I saw him speak a few weeks back for the release of his book. He will always be the first to say he is nowhere NEAR a historian, just a fan of history. He's able to approach and present a subject that many, many people find incredibly dry in a way that gets people loving hooked.

But yes boxing analogies abound all the time.

Great pod.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The Dollop is pretty good most episodes.

Others in my rotation that aren't turbo nerd are Reply All / Every Little Thing / The weirdest thing I learned this week

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
speaking of deplatforming assholes, have the cherry on the top

https://twitter.com/nandoodles/status/1217118090753986561?s=20

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I'm bad at Twitter. What was their initial complaint about that mail chimp noticed?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Rogan has really good mma guests at least. And I dont mean Schaub or Eddie Bravo.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Laranzu posted:

I'm bad at Twitter. What was their initial complaint about that mail chimp noticed?

https://twitter.com/nandoodles/status/1216903968439357446

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Lots of people replying that they're cancelling their accounts (which don't exist and never did).

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Yeah, the replies to that are pretty funny. These people are morons. It's not like it takes much time for whoever it is in their IT/HR/CS department to Google the guy and see what's up.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

He also wrote Fields of Fire which is a good book.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fields_of_Fire_(novel)

Fun (and useless) fact, my uncle is a character in this

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Fun (and useless) fact, my uncle is a character in this

drat, which one?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

drat, which one?

Doc Rabbit, and I must say that nickname is spot on

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The funniest clip of Joe Rogan's show I saw was a (ex-cia maybe?) dude telling him his biggest problem was that he takes everything everyone says on face value without thinking about it critically. Rogan then, without blinking, goes "yeah I do".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Cant believe no ones said WTF with Marc Maron yet. He's still podcast-jesus of interviews, getting guarded people to be themselves, or notably vulnerable for some. The recent ones with Danny DeVito and Woody Harrelson are par excellance as an example.

An alternative to Carlin's oftentimes (to me) infuriatingly bullshit Hardcore History is 'Tides of History' /or/ the earlier 'Fall of Rome' series. Those two are made by a guy with a PhD in Roman history who then worked as an MMA sports journalist of all things. Not too dry, certainly not like 'Revolutions' anyway (which is excellent).
Best episodes are the ones made from the viewpoint of a random person who would have lived at the time/place/event talked about.

'Conan O'Brien needs a friend' can be good at times.
Robert Evan's did a halfway good series called 'It could happen here'
I like 'clear and vivid with Alan Alda' - easy simple listening, because of Alan Alda.
Bundyville is less easy, just as interesting.

Things already mentioned;
The Dollop is loving excellent. It's ok if you dont like it and also gently caress you.
'Slow Burn', about the Nixon impeachment, was really interesting and relevant for our times obviously. The second season about Clinton was really good too, but for different reasons.
Arms Control Wonk, for all your nuclear rocket/gently caress our idiot warmonger politicans -discissions.

There's some good things out there.