Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magna Kaser posted:

i like chaoshou and they have their place.

I don't hate them, they're just inferior in the grand scheme of dumps.

The dumps I had used that baijiu flavored meat tho so I had one bite and hard pass on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The red oil make the Sichuan dumps. :haw:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've tried making tea eggs several times over the last three months. Followed this recipe. The effect was pretty good overall, but I can't seem to get them to peel in a way that leaves the marbling effect intact.

I've tried soft-boiling them, hard-boiling them, consistently dropped them into an ice-bath after cooking and before marinating - nada. The shell insists on sticking to the surface portions of the egg and coming apart in sections.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Have you tried poking a pinhole in the bottom?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

I've tried making tea eggs several times over the last three months. Followed this recipe. The effect was pretty good overall, but I can't seem to get them to peel in a way that leaves the marbling effect intact.

I've tried soft-boiling them, hard-boiling them, consistently dropped them into an ice-bath after cooking and before marinating - nada. The shell insists on sticking to the surface portions of the egg and coming apart in sections.

Have you tried steaming the eggs instead of boiling? I find that steam plus ice bath makes for eggs I can pull the shells off of in a piece or two. I think I steam for 11 minutes (its been a few months since I've done any). Maybe 12 or 13 minutes. I don't know. May be worth a shot though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Grand Fromage posted:

Have you tried poking a pinhole in the bottom?
No, but I did smash them quite a bit to get the patterns (which I've subsequently lost upon peeling), so I'm not sure how another hole is going to help.

(Edit - I've alternated between "roll the egg on the counter" which is a bit rough on the egg and "tap it all over with a spoon")

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Have you tried steaming the eggs instead of boiling? I find that steam plus ice bath makes for eggs I can pull the shells off of in a piece or two. I think I steam for 11 minutes (its been a few months since I've done any). Maybe 12 or 13 minutes. I don't know. May be worth a shot though.
I don't have a steaming basket though. Does the second method here work?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

No, but I did smash them quite a bit to get the patterns (which I've subsequently lost upon peeling), so I'm not sure how another hole is going to help.

(Edit - I've alternated between "roll the egg on the counter" which is a bit rough on the egg and "tap it all over with a spoon")
I don't have a steaming basket though. Does the second method here work?

I would try to find a trivet or something to lift them off the bottom. Or pick up a collapsible steaming insert, they're cheap.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well I hard boil them for about 4 hours so uhh, that usually helps with the peeling.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

Well I hard boil them for about 4 hours so uhh, that usually helps with the peeling.
Like... in the marinade, or just in water? Wouldn't that make the egg rubbery as hell?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
In the marinade. Don't know what you consider rubbery. I'm used to eggs boiled for so long.

https://tworedbowls.com/2014/01/21/tea-eggs/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Xander77 posted:

You poke the hole before cooking the egg, not after like when you smash and marinate.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Grand Fromage posted:

You poke the hole before cooking the egg, not after like when you smash and marinate.

We had one of these when I was a kid for hard cooked eggs

You put the fat end in, press down, and it makes a tiny hole

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I am cooking for a couple vegan people tomorrow. Gonna do mushroom mapo tofu for sure. Probably some book Choi or Chinese broccoli with garlic and a little vegan oyster sauce. I make pretty good cold seasame noodles too. Definitely open to alternatives to the latter two. I have a big Chinese market near by so I can grab whatever.

The only real requirement is vegan and preferably not spicy or mushroom in the other dishes. I already need to make a small batch of tofu without because someone doesn’t like haha. Maybe something else not in the op? Trying to keep my cook time under an hour or I’d try dumplings or buns

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 17, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Yu8qOAEYQ

Simple veg techniques, can do these to any Chinese vegetable and they'll taste good.

https://thewoksoflife.com/dry-pot-cauliflower/

This is vegan if you leave out the pork and swap for your vegan oyster sauce. Ditch the bell peppers too, idk what they're doing in here. Should also have Sichuan pepper added.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I am cooking for a couple vegan people tomorrow. Gonna do mushroom mapo tofu for sure. Probably some book Choi or Chinese broccoli with garlic and a little vegan oyster sauce. I make pretty good cold seasame noodles too. Definitely open to alternatives to the latter two. I have a big Chinese market near by so I can grab whatever.

The only real requirement is vegan and preferably not spicy or mushroom in the other dishes. I already need to make a small batch of tofu without because someone doesn’t like haha. Maybe something else not in the op? Trying to keep my cook time under an hour or I’d try dumplings or buns
It's hard to know where to start. There are so many options! Check out here and here for some options.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Grand Fromage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Yu8qOAEYQ

Simple veg techniques, can do these to any Chinese vegetable and they'll taste good.

https://thewoksoflife.com/dry-pot-cauliflower/

This is vegan if you leave out the pork and swap for your vegan oyster sauce. Ditch the bell peppers too, idk what they're doing in here. Should also have Sichuan pepper added.

hah, we rotate through a couple cauliflower dishes including something like this one. Cauliflower dishes are my go to when I want veggies. There is a bunch of great stuff on tycho's list too, I bookmarked a bunch. Thank you!

I ended up going with rice noodle since that had always been on my to do. https://healthynibblesandbits.com/basic-rice-noodle-rolls-cheung-fun/

is there a primer on Chinese vinegars somewhere? Specifically, I have black, diluted black, and chinkiang , and I don't know the real difference between other than I love black vinegar and try to use as much as possible. Also, is there a meaningful difference between Chinese red vinegar and other types of reds? Also brands for any stuff would be appreciated too! I poked around a bit before, I usually get Gold Plum for Chinkiang

I also got a big bamboo steamer to force myself to try making dumplings, even though I have no space for such things. I need a bigger kitchen.

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 18, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Chinkiang vinegar is black vinegar.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yep. Chinkiang is just old spelling for Zhenjiang, one of the famous vinegar places. Red vinegar tastes different than black but I am unaware of any non-Chinese red vinegars, so dunno how it compares. E: Actually I have Japanese red sushi vinegar, dumbass. But still don't know if it's similar, can't remember trying Chinese.

There's a bunch of Chinese vinegars but the four big ones are Zhenjiang, Shanxi, baoning, and Fujian red vinegar. I've never used the red one or Shanxi, just Zhenjiang and baoning since I was in Sichuan and that's the local kind. Zhenjiang black vinegar is pretty much your default Chinese vinegar and you can use it in anything. The other three are much harder to find outside China.

This is one of the better kinds if you can find it. There's a three year aged version that is easier to track down.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 19, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMeWvORraxk

Seems legit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

One of the good parts of working from home instead of night shifts is I get to cook more.

Hongshao'd some rou and fried some rice to go along with it.

Appreciate the g l i s t e n.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

24 folds on the baozi so its 30% better than ding tai fung

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

thanks guys!

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. Chinkiang is just old spelling for Zhenjiang, one of the famous vinegar places. Red vinegar tastes different than black but I am unaware of any non-Chinese red vinegars, so dunno how it compares. E: Actually I have Japanese red sushi vinegar, dumbass. But still don't know if it's similar, can't remember trying Chinese.

There's a bunch of Chinese vinegars but the four big ones are Zhenjiang, Shanxi, baoning, and Fujian red vinegar. I've never used the red one or Shanxi, just Zhenjiang and baoning since I was in Sichuan and that's the local kind. Zhenjiang black vinegar is pretty much your default Chinese vinegar and you can use it in anything. The other three are much harder to find outside China.

This is one of the better kinds if you can find it. There's a three year aged version that is easier to track down.

gently caress yeah. Is the fennel common or sweet?

Grand Fromage posted:

One of the good parts of working from home instead of night shifts is I get to cook more.

Hongshao'd some rou and fried some rice to go along with it.

Appreciate the g l i s t e n.

I miss working from home so much for the same reason.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Gonna buy an outdoor wok burner. Anyone have recommendations offhand before I dive down the Amazon rabbit hole?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

Gonna buy an outdoor wok burner. Anyone have recommendations offhand before I dive down the Amazon rabbit hole?

I got a turkey fryer and it works ok.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000291GBQ

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Made siu mai and char siu and steamed fish for dinner.

Finally got siu mai to come out right! Used about 1/2 fatttttty pork belly that i chopped up and food processored with the shrimps, 1/2 ground pork from the chinese grocery. Mixed the poo poo out of it with a wooden spoon in a bowl for a long time too. Sweated the ginger and scallion in sesame oil before adding. Some corn starch slurry made from the reduced liquor of dried scallops i soaked overnight, and egg white.

I could tell they were gonna be good because the meat swelled up instead of shrank when i was steaming them. A++

I never bothered grinding up pork belly for this kind of thing before, and was always disappointed at the final result. Never again will I neglect this vital step!

Also the char siu, i finally gave in and added some fermented tofu to the marinade since i bought some like 5 months ago and still had it. And it makes a real difference, it tasted so good!

I didnt take any pictures but you can imagine generic good looking siu mai and char siu made from pork shoulder. And a generic piece of steamed fish with scallions/ginger.

Gong hei fat choy!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Made a bunch of stuff for CNY eve dinner

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The BF and I are now playing a dangerous delicious game of "buy random canned fish at 99 Ranch every week". What's the best use for tinned roasted conger eel?

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

The missus and I are looking to do a hot pot. We've got a portable burner lined up, but we'd like a split pot for two broths. This is where we get into the territory of random cookware with questionable quality. I assumed if I went by the Korean grocery store and picked one off the shelf it would disintegrate into radium powder or something.

Any suggestions?

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Suspect Bucket posted:

The BF and I are now playing a dangerous delicious game of "buy random canned fish at 99 Ranch every week". What's the best use for tinned roasted conger eel?

Is it in water, oil, soybean, tomato sauce? We've been doing this too, coincidentally.

We've usually braised it for a short amount of time like Maangchi says: https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kkongchi-jorim

Last night was an Italian style pasta, but the sardines were in tomato sauce.

I'd be open to more Chinese inspired stuff too.

edit: Also, just eat it out of the can in a charcuterie board.

Zapf Dingbat fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 12, 2020

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Zapf Dingbat posted:

The missus and I are looking to do a hot pot. We've got a portable burner lined up, but we'd like a split pot for two broths. This is where we get into the territory of random cookware with questionable quality. I assumed if I went by the Korean grocery store and picked one off the shelf it would disintegrate into radium powder or something.

Any suggestions?

you mean for the pot itself? any wide but relatively shallow pot would be OK. you're just heating up the broth to a boil you don't need some crazy outdoor propane burner people get for chinese stir fries and stuff.

Most hot pot places in china use induction or electric these days and just wide but shallow pots with metal dividers. you can probably find these at asian markets and they should be fine???

get those extra long chopsticks tho those are pro for hot pot.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I do hotpot once a week. I have a good induction burner, and two pots (one normal and one two chamber) that I picked up for $5 at the Chinese store. They're probably made of compressed tinfoil or something but they've been fine for years for me.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you can also cheap out and use a rice cooker

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A rice cooker for hotpot? Hard no. No way to keep the liquid boiling appropriately.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A rice cooker for hotpot? Hard no. No way to keep the liquid boiling appropriately.

I did it last weekend and it boiled appropriately the whole time. idk if it matters but it was a bargain basement rice cooker and doesn't automatically turn off ever if the lid is open.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

my chinese pressure cooker has a hot pot function and the lid can come off. it's basically just a fancy rice cooker so I think it would work if the rice cooker allowed it.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Sorry, I meant to say that we've already got a burner, just that I always look sideways at the really cheap pots and pans. Guess it couldn't hurt to give something cheap a shot though.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
It's just a pot for boiling what is essentially water... Don't overthink it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

For those of us with western burners, apparently a way to approach better wok hei, haven't tried it myself yet, but hopeful! https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/02/hei-now-youre-a-wok-star-a-fiery-hack-for-stir-frying-at-home.html

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Anyone have advice or any recommended recipe for 香酥牛肉饼? I've just learned about it and it's very interesting to me. I haven't ever heard of laminating dough with what is basically a roux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

while in coronavirus self-imposed quarantine i was cooking a lot of (chinese) food

first i made baozi since all the baozi shops were closed:

my baozi dough didn't ferment properly (apt was too cold I assume), but they still tasted good despite not being very fluffy. it will probably be super good dough for like xiaolongbao if I decide to make those since it's sorta half fermented. I had a lot of leftover dough once i realized they weren't fluffin up.

filling was dope. used frozen tofu, mushrooms, qingcai, scallions and a bunch of sauce. turned out v. good.

di san xian. properly deep fried all the incredients and it turned out super good. used less sauce than I normally get at restaurants where it's swimming in it more often than not, but everything got a nice coat.

dry fried beans. I am now very good at this and will make it more:

also made a dece gong bao chicken. my only issue with it is I used breast meat instead of thigh meat cuz thats all I had in my freezer and with avian flu on top of coronavirus chicken is hard to get now lol

mapo tofu (the dumb ver. with avocado which is actually v good)

one (minor) issue was i forgot i didn't have any frozen beef (due to not being able to find any) and I forgot to adjust my sauce:stuff ratio as a result. still tasted fine and I just skimmed out some of the sauce before i stored it. see below: lotta juice

bad pic of men ding rou bing, my fav fried beef buns from dongbei. I actually made these right when the virus outbreak started and before everything got weird so this was at a friends house for lunar new year eve and they were good as hell. the trick is to use half boiling and half cold water (半烫面) when makin your dough. they fry up so crispy.

also made some mushroom and pork dumplings which were v. juicy due to using some high fat content pork but they tasted real good so no worried

i steamed most of them but fried up a few and that's always better

this has been my quarantine journey.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 18, 2020