Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The_Rob posted:

I bought Catherine full body the other day and I really like it. modern day Atlus can do no wrong by me though.

this might be too spicy for the ‘yob but I really didn’t like persona 5 despite it being a visually fantastic game with incredible music

the plot was slow and designed to make you feel powerless for basically the whole game, all the characters except the PC and sojiro are all somewhere between dull and frustrating. at least two of the dungeons go on at least two hours too long. my reaction to hearing about the updated version with a new party member and dungeon was a feeling of relief that i didn’t enjoy the game enough to even be tempted by it.

i feel like I’m in a HUGE minority on this one though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

food court bailiff posted:

this might be too spicy for the ‘yob but I really didn’t like persona 5 despite it being a visually fantastic game with incredible music

the plot was slow and designed to make you feel powerless for basically the whole game, all the characters except the PC and sojiro are all somewhere between dull and frustrating. at least two of the dungeons go on at least two hours too long. my reaction to hearing about the updated version with a new party member and dungeon was a feeling of relief that i didn’t enjoy the game enough to even be tempted by it.

I loved 4 as a big bro sim but persona fit into my scale of smt>persona>pokemon>tokai as far as age appropriateness goes

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

5 wasn't as good as 4 or 3 all in all but I still loved it

I'm excited about Royal but the prospect of committing to another 190 hours is daunting :staredog:

biosterous

Heather Papps posted:

Dang gotta see if my KoL account is still active

i love(d) kol, but recently some stuff has come to light about jick and now i don't want play anymore :(

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

The_Rob

Blah blah blah blah!!

5 hit me in every way I wanted. I enjoyed the plot the entire way through and I haven’t had a jrpg help me connect with characters that hard in a long time. it’s also one of the only times I’ve not only been ok with grinding but had it feel fun more than a chore. once you get that battle system down to it just becomes so fun. it almost turned into a rythym game with how smooth the combat was for me. I dunno it hit every good thing in my brain when I played it.

Heather Papps

hello friend

biosterous posted:

i love(d) kol, but recently some stuff has come to light about jick and now i don't want play anymore :(

EVERY loving TIME

ToxicFrog

I finally got Shandalar (the old Microprose singleplayer MtG RPG game) working in a VM and I'm having fun nostalging out and playing the sort of Magic matches my friends and I would have played if someone had let us loot the rare cards case at the local game store.

biosterous

oh jeez that was a fun game. i made some stupid deck once that gave me infinite turns and i'd set up a lot of black vises and then force my opponent to draw lots of cards

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

idiotsavant
im stuck on 4 boss cells of dead cells; I’ve beaten the hand on 4 cells but cant get past conjunctivius to get to the giant. usually use a survival heavy xbow build but I suck at parrying ;_; think this might be as far as I go, pushing farther is just such a chore

ToxicFrog

biosterous posted:

oh jeez that was a fun game. i made some stupid deck once that gave me infinite turns and i'd set up a lot of black vises and then force my opponent to draw lots of cards

Yeah, one of the great things about Shandalar is that they didn't care about tournament legality or stuff like that, so it includes a bunch of cards that were already banned for being too good when it was made and a bunch more that are now either super extra banned or incredibly rare and sought-after because they're so good, and it doesn't make any attempt to stop you from doing things that would result in your opponent setting the table on fire if you tried them in real-world play.

So you can play the game "normally" and have a challenging but not too challenging MtG experience, or with a bit of work you can utterly break the game and steamroll everything with complete nonsense. Which is my favourite kind of game :v:

Current status: got myself a few manalinks, starting to put together a white/black deck to replace the white/green one I started with. Kind of want to do an "opposites attract" sort of gimmick so one white/black and one blue/red, and maybe try to do something really weird with the third slot like an all artifacts deck

Rockman Reserve

the yu gi oh card game is one of my guilty pleasures because it is really terrible in a fun way and the switch version is a blast for the same reasons it sounds like shandalar was - i pretty much immediately was able to throw together a deck that gets at least one blue eyes white dragon out on the very first turn and just steamroll everything

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

the yu gi oh card game is one of my guilty pleasures because it is really terrible in a fun way and the switch version is a blast for the same reasons it sounds like shandalar was - i pretty much immediately was able to throw together a deck that gets at least one blue eyes white dragon out on the very first turn and just steamroll everything

I honestly love playing the Yugioh phone game because the ai will make most of the right moves for you, much faster than you can because the interface is a little clunky. It's very satisfying, on turn three it can regularly come out with a buffed up 4000 attack plus monster with cards to wreck the defense so that you can wallop the opponent in the face with a shovel

Heather Papps

hello friend

I played a round of yu gi oh with my adult cousin who is very divergent. I love him, I do, but when the game ended and he asked if I wanted to play another my soul folded in on itself and I saw the true face of the void.

SeaGoatSupreme
Was this like three and a half months ago

If so hi Jeremy

Rockman Reserve

Heather Papps posted:

I played a round of yu gi oh with my adult cousin who is very divergent. I love him, I do, but when the game ended and he asked if I wanted to play another my soul folded in on itself and I saw the true face of the void.

despite owning buttloads of physical cards (i have a bad habit of buying old CCG packs for cheap when i'm on vacation with my extended family and playing drinkin' pokemon/mtg/ygo) i wouldn't really want to play it face to face with a real person seriously. first of all the entire game is basically about making your opponent have the least fun possible as quickly as possible, which feels bad, and also i was at a tournament once for a much nerdier card game than YGO and we shared space with a YGO tournament and they were all super weird people that smelled bad and three of them had ahegao hoodies

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I just got around to playing xenoblade 2. What an awful game.

I have a Santa scroll of reasons why the game is a bland mess, but it’s a jrpg, so bland mess is normal; the main thing that makes it complete dogshit is the weird level disparity of monsters sharing a space. Level 6 babies first bad guy hangs out near a level 72 Death Baboon and you better believe the loving monkey will activate and chase you down, wipe your party out in one hit. Makes it hard to level up, explore, exist.

I’m stuck trying to kill a ninth level.crab on an island for a main story quest, because they also filled the island with these level 40 stick men that, even if the nearest one is across the island, will activate when I’m halfway done with the crab and belch, which causes me to explode.

Like, what is that? What a complete piece of poo poo.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Heather Papps

hello friend

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Was this like three and a half months ago

If so hi Jeremy

Kiegh isn't cool enough for SA and my irl name is Agamemnon and it was a year ago so YES HI HOWS AUNT JESSICA???

SeaGoatSupreme

Heather Papps posted:

Kiegh isn't cool enough for SA and my irl name is Agamemnon and it was a year ago so YES HI HOWS AUNT JESSICA???

She still sucks thanks

idiotsavant
xenoblade 2 looks like it was made by a bunch of extremely horned up weirdos. like not just a little horney but very very too horny

i finaly got past conjunctivius on 4 cells in dead cells and actually got to the giant with like 1/10 health and almost full malaise and died in 1 hit and i dont think i want to grind hard enough to get good at the cavern to get to 5 cells so time to go back and finish ori i think

mysterious frankie

idiotsavant posted:

xenoblade 2 looks like it was made by a bunch of extremely horned up weirdos. like not just a little horney but very very too horny

i finaly got past conjunctivius on 4 cells in dead cells and actually got to the giant with like 1/10 health and almost full malaise and died in 1 hit and i dont think i want to grind hard enough to get good at the cavern to get to 5 cells so time to go back and finish ori i think

It’s immensely horny, yeah.

----------------

Yinlock

idiotsavant posted:

xenoblade 2 is a good game with very bad character designers

mysterious frankie

Yinlock posted:

xenoblade 2 is a good game with very bad character designers

The premise of the weapons your characters use, as I’ve come to discover, is that special people get big tiddie animes as their slaves (or child robot animes that they would dress sexy if only they didn’t feel ashamed about it) and then they fight each other with them. There’s also non anime girl weapon slaves, but the cutscenes do like to set the camera from the pov of a small man standing on one improbable tit and looking across the other tit at the people having conversations as much as possible. It’s really weird and I don’t do anime things that much so I’m like idk maybe this is normal why is my wife laughing what is she typing to her friend while laughing

----------------

mysterious frankie

mysterious frankie posted:

The premise of the weapons your characters use, as I’ve come to discover, is that special people get big tiddie animes as their slaves (or child robot animes that they would dress sexy if only they didn’t feel ashamed about it) and then they fight each other with them. There’s also non anime girl weapon slaves, but the cutscenes do like to set the camera from the pov of a small man standing on one improbable tit and looking across the other tit at the people having conversations as much as possible. It’s really weird and I don’t do anime things that much so I’m like idk maybe this is normal why is my wife laughing what is she typing to her friend while laughing

E: the gameplay is a lot better if you ignore the entire world they made because all of it is filled with a mishmash of randomly leveled death machines. Just imagine you’re in a battle tunnel where the main story missions are all you do and the game is bearable to play. These are my xenoblade discoveries as of last night.

----------------

Heather Papps

hello friend

This reminds me of my bro and his wife trying to convince me darling in the franxxx was good and smart

Korean Boomhauer
mod xenoblade 2 to replace the bad things with the models from the byob cg thread

Rockman Reserve

i have a copy of xc2 that i've never even tried because i still haven't beaten the first one yet and now i'm thinking maybe i just.....shouldn't

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Anyone playing MonHun World PC? I picked it up over the weekend, I hadn't played the expansion and was going to roll a new character anyway so I switched from PS4 to PC since I have some good hardware. I'd like to hunt some dragons with some yob friends.

sig by owlhawk911

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i considered getting it in the past but my friends werent interested. may pick it up, will let you know if i do

SeaGoatSupreme
I play it every once in a while. I pretty much only pick up a new weapon and murder the jaggy boy though. It's such a fun and easy fight, really lets me chill and miss shots with the insect glaive

Heather Papps

hello friend

pixaal posted:

Anyone playing MonHun World PC? I picked it up over the weekend, I hadn't played the expansion and was going to roll a new character anyway so I switched from PS4 to PC since I have some good hardware. I'd like to hunt some dragons with some yob friends.

Gotta upgrade my card. I think it'll run but my bro has a spare that's an upgrade so.....

i have a copy of xc2 that i've never even tried because i still haven't beaten the first one yet and now i'm thinking maybe i just.....shouldn't

I think it's a good idea to package deep thoughts in a pretty package to attract folks who like the package and need the message.

Until today I thought this series was like... gnostic dead god robot bodies religion stuff themes. Is... am I off base here?

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

Until today I thought this series was like... gnostic dead god robot bodies religion stuff themes. Is... am I off base here?

I'm thinking of something else I think.. xenogears?

mysterious frankie

Heather Papps posted:

I think it's a good idea to package deep thoughts in a pretty package to attract folks who like the package and need the message.

Xenogears was the ps1 game that crucified a Furby like Christ on the second, ran out of budget, disc. From what I remember it was gnostic word salad.

Xenosaga I never played but I think it used the same kind of religious stuff to inform the story?

Xenoblade is the current series and part two is the first one I’ve played and its all uninspired gameplay and m’lady storytelling/visual design. For all I know I could end up fighting antigod in order to stop the nefarious plot of Sigmund Lacan, beautiful bishonen survivor of the worldship Pleroma that crashed on Yrth ten billion years in the past, but so far it’s all floating boobs and flat asses in hot pants.

----------------

pixaal

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I play it every once in a while. I pretty much only pick up a new weapon and murder the jaggy boy though. It's such a fun and easy fight, really lets me chill and miss shots with the insect glaive

Stop worrying it just takes play time with the game and weapon. I've been playing them since Tri U on the WiiU. I put probably 150 hours in before I really felt like I wasn't being carried. I'm just about comfortable enough with how the switch axe moves at um I think I'm just about at expansion content, I unlocked High Rank but still haven't seen the quest to go to the icy place. (I haven't looked at the monster list but I hope that snow bunny is back, because that's the first thing I ever fought since it was the demo fight for Tri U).

Once you get into it you can take most monsters out without thinking too much. Just realize it's a 5-7 minute long mission against 1 really big enemy not a horde it's going to take some time. You also want to have the right weapon element to hit their weakness. If you are getting hit make sure you cover their attack type, if you are dodging most stuff maybe throw on 1-2 pieces but you should be good against most things). I'm not good enough with KB+M to go full attack mode but last night I got the first hint of being ready.

I was fighting a Kirin and threw out an SoS because it's more fun with other hunters, 2 people joined who immediately were 1 shot, then one of them came back and were 1 shot again before both sitting at camp saying they weren't going to use the last life so I had to solo the entire fight on multiplayer difficulty. And let me tell you I was successful, feels amazing when you pull of a dodge into an attack then knocks the monster over ends with a hook shot then riding around on their back followed by removing their tail and them spinning out from the sudden shift in weight and a complete beat down.

I really don't think I can repeat too easily I normally get hit way too often but sometimes you just fall into the moveset, I remember really really hating Kirin and spending multiple days trying and failing the fight to unlock the end game. So much easier this time, I apparently committed that moveset to memory.

sig by owlhawk911

Scaly Haylie

mysterious frankie posted:

i have a higher tolerance for anime but hearing it being described i can understand the aversion. if you want a more wholesome time might i recommend ni no kuni? it's gorgeous as it's a ghibli collab, and the humor is very very good.

Scaly Haylie

also it comes with a 340-page digital lorebook

Heather Papps

hello friend

I want games to start including physical objects as a for of rights management again.

Gotta get one of those septim coins they are rad as gently caress but instead of a zork coin with some game info they are just recreations of a game asset.

SeaGoatSupreme

pixaal posted:

Stop worrying it just takes play time with the game and weapon. I've been playing them since Tri U on the WiiU. I put probably 150 hours in before I really felt like I wasn't being carried. I'm just about comfortable enough with how the switch axe moves at um I think I'm just about at expansion content, I unlocked High Rank but still haven't seen the quest to go to the icy place. (I haven't looked at the monster list but I hope that snow bunny is back, because that's the first thing I ever fought since it was the demo fight for Tri U).

Once you get into it you can take most monsters out without thinking too much. Just realize it's a 5-7 minute long mission against 1 really big enemy not a horde it's going to take some time. You also want to have the right weapon element to hit their weakness. If you are getting hit make sure you cover their attack type, if you are dodging most stuff maybe throw on 1-2 pieces but you should be good against most things). I'm not good enough with KB+M to go full attack mode but last night I got the first hint of being ready.

I was fighting a Kirin and threw out an SoS because it's more fun with other hunters, 2 people joined who immediately were 1 shot, then one of them came back and were 1 shot again before both sitting at camp saying they weren't going to use the last life so I had to solo the entire fight on multiplayer difficulty. And let me tell you I was successful, feels amazing when you pull of a dodge into an attack then knocks the monster over ends with a hook shot then riding around on their back followed by removing their tail and them spinning out from the sudden shift in weight and a complete beat down.

I really don't think I can repeat too easily I normally get hit way too often but sometimes you just fall into the moveset, I remember really really hating Kirin and spending multiple days trying and failing the fight to unlock the end game. So much easier this time, I apparently committed that moveset to memory.

It's my first Mon hun since freedom unite on the psp, and it scratches that itch perfectly. I don't really have the attention span to only use one weapon, so I bounce between them all (except for the guns, I'm here to chop monsters not shoot them like a c*ward). I'll pick it up a bit more once both the wife and the girlfriend are back in school and I'll have more time to play.

I'll get that fire chicken eventually, on my life

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I just built a new pc and it's really great. I'm very tempted to pick up MHW and Iceborne for it, but the combination of having to start over and not being able to play with my buddy that I play with on ps4 is a dealbreaker. I really really wish there was crossplay. If I could still play with my friend, I'd be willing to abandon my character and start over anew.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

pixaal

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

It's my first Mon hun since freedom unite on the psp, and it scratches that itch perfectly. I don't really have the attention span to only use one weapon, so I bounce between them all (except for the guns, I'm here to chop monsters not shoot them like a c*ward). I'll pick it up a bit more once both the wife and the girlfriend are back in school and I'll have more time to play.

I'll get that fire chicken eventually, on my life

I've always stuck with a single weapon type per play through bouncing seems really difficult since I normally don't feel good with a weapon until I have 30-40 hours with it. Mon Hun is very much about completely mastering the weapon and doing crazy stuff with it. Each weapon has different animations and timings and you need to get them down so you can dodge and attack. I'm generally right in the monsters butt the entire fight trying to rip the tail off.

sig by owlhawk911

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

pixaal posted:

I've always stuck with a single weapon type per play through bouncing seems really difficult since I normally don't feel good with a weapon until I have 30-40 hours with it. Mon Hun is very much about completely mastering the weapon and doing crazy stuff with it. Each weapon has different animations and timings and you need to get them down so you can dodge and attack. I'm generally right in the monsters butt the entire fight trying to rip the tail off.

This is why I love the switch axe so hard.