Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In It For The Tank posted:

Winds might come out but Dream never will. It also wouldn't surprise me if we got another split book either (e.g "The Winds of Winter" and a "A Time for Wolves")

Imagine if he did another meanwhile back at the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Kylaer posted:

WoT has fans?

There's some guy with a popular Youtube channel that reviews fantasy books and shows that swears it is the greatest fantasy epic ever, and Amazon has a series coming out based on it. Anyone actually read this and can give me an idea how it compares to ASoIaF because the few things I've read about it look pretty terrible.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There’s a whole thread devoted to the books. It skews to a younger audience and can be quite long winded but Jordan was a good writer. It’s been pretty good on my reread I’ve been doing but it’s definitely fantasy.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gimmedaroot posted:

There's some guy with a popular Youtube channel that reviews fantasy books and shows that swears it is the greatest fantasy epic ever, and Amazon has a series coming out based on it. Anyone actually read this and can give me an idea how it compares to ASoIaF because the few things I've read about it look pretty terrible.

I absolutely loved it when I was 14 and it had some of the most plausible battle scenes. But it gets bogged down hard in the later books and is then finished by Sanderson.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love Wheel of Time, but it has hella pacing issues toward the middle. It's pretty standard stuff tho. Should make for good TV if they cut the chaff.

It holds the honour of being one of the many series Eragon liberally ripped entire plotlines out of!

Anyway WoT is great, if you like fantasy. It's pretty decent as a first fantasy series, maybe? but idk if that's actually true or just because I was already a giant nerd in grade school, so I dug it right away.

e: that said i actually never finished it but i look fondly back at the ones i have read and manage to re-read whenever i try to get thru it. there's a lot of fuckin books man

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is my boy P Jakes still making videos or did the show kill him?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

There’s a whole thread devoted to the books. It skews to a younger audience and can be quite long winded but Jordan was a good writer. It’s been pretty good on my reread I’ve been doing but it’s definitely fantasy.

'Quite long winded' in the sense that stage 4 pancreatic cancer is 'Quite bad'. You're underselling it a bit.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

banned from Starbucks posted:

Is my boy P Jakes still making videos or did the show kill him?

He's branched out a bit since there effectively no more material. Last i saw he had some podcast vid about the Mando

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I liked WoT a lot as a teenager and from what I remember there being some elements in it that were really good. I don't know how much I'd enjoy it as an adult though

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

'Quite long winded' in the sense that stage 4 pancreatic cancer is 'Quite bad'. You're underselling it a bit.

Nah not really, I’m up to book 9 and it’s not as slow as I remember it. Probably because I didn’t have to wait years between books. At least there’s an ending that GoT will never have.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

genericnick posted:

I absolutely loved it when I was 14 and it had some of the most plausible battle scenes. But it gets bogged down hard in the later books and is then finished by Sanderson.

Someone in this thread said, regarding this, "Robert Jordan experienced combat in Vietnam, Brandon Sanderson experienced combat in tabletop RPGs."

And holy poo poo, looking at Jordan's Wikipedia page, it says he was awarded a distinguished flying cross and a bronze star during his two years of service, which sounds like he must have done something significant. Anyone know what the details were for these?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Kylaer posted:

Someone in this thread said, regarding this, "Robert Jordan experienced combat in Vietnam, Brandon Sanderson experienced combat in tabletop RPGs."

And holy poo poo, looking at Jordan's Wikipedia page, it says he was awarded a distinguished flying cross and a bronze star during his two years of service, which sounds like he must have done something significant. Anyone know what the details were for these?

Someone in the WoT thread said they were Jordans nephew/cousin.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kylaer posted:

He was a door gunner on a helicopter, you can probably guess.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I mean I can't deny I found that scene where a wizard riding a griffin emptied his entire mana pool in the form of deadly fireballs into a defenseless orcish rice farm co-op pretty realistic.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Found an article that says he was more educated than the average enlisted man and was originally going to be assigned to a clerical role in Vietnam, but asked to be assigned as a door gunner instead.

Guess he really didn't want to be a healbot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In the end, neither ASoIaF or WoT are as good as the Chronicles fo Amber.

And that's okay.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Gimmedaroot posted:

It's complete right now. That's how it contrasts. You can read it all!

How it compares is that asoiaf will also be completed one day by the same author!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Imma be honest, I tried and failed to read the last two books 3 times before I ran into a version of them mixed together into one gently caress-huge book. Somehow, that made the whole thing click for me.

A feast for dragons I think it was called?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

chaosapiant posted:

I outright enjoy all five books, and the series as a whole.

This is my take as well, thanks for reading my post.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

BrotherJayne posted:

Imma be honest, I tried and failed to read the last two books 3 times before I ran into a version of them mixed together into one gently caress-huge book. Somehow, that made the whole thing click for me.

A feast for dragons I think it was called?

I know there's a version of the last two combined called A Ball of Beasts. I keep meaning to re-read the series and finish with that, but I keep getting distracted before I get that far. Anyone know if that's any good?

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
Thanks, WoT just looked really generic when it came out and I had stopped reading fantasy by then because so many cookie cutter stories had burned me out. And I heard the middle books were like Feast For Crows and Dance With Dragons but drawn out for FAR longer. I'm fine with Feast and Dance, but two tomes are enough to slow down an epic.

Preston Jacobs is still making ASoIaF videos. He dropped one yesterday about a Winds of Winter chapter titled "Mercy". Otherwise he talks about the Mandolorian and Watchmen series on a collaborative podcast.

Best Vietnam vet fantasy author I've read Glen Cook's The Black Company series. Big influence on GRRM, not really a kids fantasy series, and based on Cook's platoon in Vietnam. And it was completed.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Soysaucebeast posted:

I know there's a version of the last two combined called A Ball of Beasts. I keep meaning to re-read the series and finish with that, but I keep getting distracted before I get that far. Anyone know if that's any good?

I can vouch for feast for dragons, and know where to get that epub. No idea on the other

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

BrotherJayne posted:

I can vouch for feast for dragons, and know where to get that epub. No idea on the other

https://ballofbeasts.weebly.com

They do a “copyright check” to make sure you own AFFC and ADWD. It asks for the last word of ADWD’s epilogue.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Nice! TY I'll try that one instead on the next read

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Soysaucebeast posted:

I really liked Ball of Beasts when I read it.

There’s some neat stuff like a chapter from Sam’s perspective from Feast and then the same events from Jon’s perspective from Dance that are set up back to back.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Bobby Digital posted:

https://ballofbeasts.weebly.com

They do a “copyright check” to make sure you own AFFC and ADWD. It asks for the last word of ADWD’s epilogue.

Is it both books in full, just intertwined as one, or do they cut out bits of the story?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Is it both books in full, just intertwined as one, or do they cut out bits of the story?

I haven’t read it yet (found the link and downloaded it after it was mentioned) but here’s the chapter listing:

Prologue: ADWD 1
Prologue: AFFC 1
The Prophet: AFFC 2
The Captain of Guards: AFFC 3
Cersei I: AFFC 4
Tyrion I: ADWD 2
Daenerys I: ADWD 3
Brienne I: AFFC 5
Jon I: ADWD 4
Bran I: ADWD 5
Tyrion II: ADWD 6
Samwell I: AFFC 6*
Jon II: ADWD 8*
Arya I: AFFC 7
Cersei II: AFFC 8
Jaime I: AFFC 9
Brienne II: AFFC 10
Sansa I: AFFC 11
The Kraken’s Daughter: AFFC 12
Tyrion III: ADWD 9
Davos I: ADWD 10
Jon III: ADWD 11
Daenerys II: ADWD 12
Cersei III: AFFC 13
Reek I: ADWD 13
Bran II: ADWD 14
The Soiled Knight: AFFC 14
Tyrion IV: ADWD 15
Davos II: ADWD 16
Brienne III: AFFC 15
Samwell II: AFFC 16
Daenerys III: ADWD 17
Jon IV: ADWD 18
Tyrion V: ADWD 19
Davos III: ADWD 20
Jaime II: AFFC 17
Cersei IV: AFFC 18
The Iron Captain: AFFC 19
The Drowned Man: AFFC 20
Brienne IV: AFFC 21
The Queenmaker: AFFC 22
Arya II: AFFC 23
Alayne I: AFFC 24
The Princess in the Tower: AFFC 41
The Merchant’s Man: ADWD 7
Cersei V: AFFC 25
Reek II: ADWD 21
Jon V: ADWD 22
Tyrion VI: ADWD 23
Daenerys IV: ADWD 24
The Lost Lord: ADWD 25
The Windblown: ADWD 26
The Wayward Bride: ADWD 27
Brienne V: AFFC 26
Samwell III: AFFC 27
Jaime III: AFFC 28
Tyrion VII: ADWD 28
Jon VI: ADWD 29
Davos IV: ADWD 30
Cersei VI: AFFC 29
The Reaver: AFFC 30
Daenerys V: ADWD 31
Melisandre I: ADWD 32**
Jaime IV: AFFC 31
Brienne VI: AFFC 32
Reek III: ADWD 33
Tyrion VIII: ADWD 34
Cersei VII: AFFC 33
Jaime V: AFFC 34
Cat of the Canals: AFFC 35
Samwell IV: AFFC 36
Cersei VIII: AFFC 37
Brienne VII: AFFC 38
Jaime VI: AFFC 39
Cersei IX: AFFC 40
Bran III: ADWD 35
Jon VII: ADWD 36
Daenerys VI: ADWD 37
The Prince of Winterfell: ADWD 38
The Watcher: ADWD 39
Jon VIII: ADWD 40
Tyrion IX: ADWD 41
The Turncloak: ADWD 42
The King’s Prize: ADWD 43
Daenerys VII: ADWD 44
Alayne II: AFFC 42
Jon IX: ADWD 45
Brienne VIII: AFFC 43
Cersei X: AFFC 44
Jaime VII: AFFC 45
The Blind Girl: ADWD 46
A Ghost in Winterfell: ADWD 47
Tyrion X: ADWD 48
Jaime VIII: ADWD 49
Jon X: ADWD 50
Daenerys VIII: ADWD 51
Samwell V: AFFC 46
Theon VII: ADWD 52
Daenerys IX: ADWD 53
Jon XI: ADWD 54
Cersei XI: ADWD 55
The Queensguard: ADWD 56
The Iron Suitor: ADWD 57
Tyrion XI: ADWD 58
Jon XII: ADWD 59
The Discarded Knight: ADWD 60
The Spurned Suitor: ADWD 61
The Griffin Reborn: ADWD 62
The Sacrifice: ADWD 63
Victarion: ADWD 64***
The Ugly Little Girl: ADWD 65
Cersei XII: ADWD 66
Tyrion XII: ADWD 67
The Kingbreaker: ADWD 68
The Dragontamer: ADWD 69
Jon XIII: ADWD 70
The Queen’s Hand: ADWD 71
Daenerys X: ADWD 72
Epilogue: ADWD 73

*These chapters have been combined into one for A Ball of Beasts

**This chapter has been renamed The Red Priestess in A Ball of Beasts

***This chapter has been renamed The One of Two Gods in A Ball of Beasts

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Boonoo posted:

I really liked Ball of Beasts when I read it.

There’s some neat stuff like a chapter from Sam’s perspective from Feast and then the same events from Jon’s perspective from Dance that are set up back to back.

Yeah, Feast for Dragons did that too

I'm curious as to how they'll differ

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Gimmedaroot posted:

Best Vietnam vet fantasy author I've read Glen Cook's The Black Company series. Big influence on GRRM, not really a kids fantasy series, and based on Cook's platoon in Vietnam. And it was completed.

I'm not sure being completed helped The Black Company.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
A Ball of Beasts was good and I recommend reading that instead of 4&5.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/1216763123195092992

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cool. i guess. i am kinda waiting for the next installment of that, which will hopefully come out after winds.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Dapper_Swindler posted:

cool. i guess. i am kinda waiting for the next installment of that, which will hopefully come out after winds.

lmao nice one

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

mossyfisk posted:

I'm not sure being completed helped The Black Company.

I'm not sure I would even call it completed, since he wrote a sidequel last year that retroactively alters the entire narrative (or maybe not) and he's been threatening to write a concluding volume for the last fifteen years.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Some great comments on his last couple of (re)tweets.

https://twitter.com/Capitan00teri/status/1215059307408084994

https://twitter.com/citizenmonarch/status/1215023994199592960

No one has given a poo poo enough about Wild Cards to respond substantively or answer the question.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Everytime someone talks about this series not finishing before they die I remember that GRRM outlived Tom Clancy lmfao

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think you’ll find that they will make Tom Clancy games till the end of time while Gurm will be forgotten immediately. Who is laughing then?

It’s me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I think you’ll find that they will make Tom Clancy games till the end of time while Gurm will be forgotten immediately. Who is laughing then?

It’s me.

honestly i am kinda surprised they never pulled off a good GOT/ASoLaF game. the best i can think of is a mount and blade mod. they had a really meh DA type rpg i believe. i remember hearing rumors one of the big publishers had one in the works but its way to late now.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honestly i am kinda surprised they never pulled off a good GOT/ASoLaF game. the best i can think of is a mount and blade mod. they had a really meh DA type rpg i believe. i remember hearing rumors one of the big publishers had one in the works but its way to late now.

The GoT mod for Crusader Kings II is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

For all that I've poo poo on GRRM for Wildcards and that it's based on a RPG, My favorite Clancy book was Red Storm Rising, which was based on game play sessions from Harpoon.

That book has definitely aged, especially the 1 dimensional characters, but holy gently caress I loved that when I read it in highschool. But I was like super into SLCMs, GLCMS, SLOCs and Glocks back then. Which is a title I stole from some policy review, and definitely should have been turned into a nursery rhyme.

slick'm glick'm slocks and glock
around the world they tick and tock
slick'm and glick'm let you see
you better not mess with slocs near me
too bad they couldn't save the jock
at the highschool from that angry glock

I don't know it's like a commentary on militarizing the world, but like, expecting that never to come home to us? or something? i don't know I need to get back to work.