Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Could use some advice regarding a credit decision I'm making soon:

I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred that is coming up on the 1 year anniversary and will charge its $95 fee soon, which I'd like to avoid.

I don't spend or travel a lot, but I would like to keep the balance of points I have available, as the UR points transfer well and it seems there are good rental car deals available booking via the UR website. My only other credit card is an old (>10 yrs) Chase Slate card that I want to keep open.

Should I:

A) Merge the CSP's credit limit into my Slate card, closing the CSP, and open a new Freedom Unlimited card to get the bonus there, or

B) Downgrade the CSP into a Freedom Unlimited (giving up the sign up bonus)

Is the only difference building the age of my 2nd card vs getting the sign up bonus of $200? Will an extra year of age on my second card really make any difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

If you do either of those things you will lose the ability to transfer your URs to travel partners. You must have either a CSP, a CSR, or an Ink+ to be able to convert URs to other miles or points.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 14, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

This makes it seem like the Lyft Pink (15% discount on rides) is only good for one year as a one-time benefit: https://onemileatatime.com/chase-sapphire-reserve-lyft/

Could this be true? That further makes the $100 AF increase worthless and really makes me want to cancel. I don't use ridesharing much to begin with but at least that discount would make up for some of the fee increase..

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Could use some advice regarding a credit decision I'm making soon:

I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred that is coming up on the 1 year anniversary and will charge its $95 fee soon, which I'd like to avoid.

I don't spend or travel a lot, but I would like to keep the balance of points I have available, as the UR points transfer well and it seems there are good rental car deals available booking via the UR website. My only other credit card is an old (>10 yrs) Chase Slate card that I want to keep open.

Should I:

A) Merge the CSP's credit limit into my Slate card, closing the CSP, and open a new Freedom Unlimited card to get the bonus there, or

B) Downgrade the CSP into a Freedom Unlimited (giving up the sign up bonus)

Is the only difference building the age of my 2nd card vs getting the sign up bonus of $200? Will an extra year of age on my second card really make any difference?

Another option is to downgrade it into a no-AF Chase Sapphire.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Inner Light posted:

Could this be true? That further makes the $100 AF increase worthless and really makes me want to cancel. I don't use ridesharing much to begin with but at least that discount would make up for some of the fee increase..
So for people considering dropping the CSR, what will you replace it with?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Thinking I’ll probably downgrade my CSR when my renewal comes in the fall

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

IMHO this is an excellent article explaining why the Chase Sapphire Reserve kinda sucks now, like most credit cards, especially the break-even amounts:
https://thewirecutter.com/money/credit-cards/chase-sapphire-reserve-annual-fee-change/

It's fine if you reliably spend well over $16k on travel/dining per year, but I do not. Otherwise it's a big money maker for Chase and not so great for most customers anymore.

quote:

What does the $100 annual fee increase actually mean? We ran the numbers, and it means you’ll need to spend $5,555 a year on dining and travel purchases—and redeem your points for 1.5¢ apiece in the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal—just to break even on the Reserve’s annual fee. (This assumes you also use all of your $300 annual travel credit.) Before the increase, the spending threshold was a much more reasonable $3,333.

That doesn’t account for the opportunity cost of using a credit card with a high rewards rate and no annual fee. You’d now need to spend $16,666 on travel and dining with the Reserve (again, assuming you use all of your $300 travel credit) just to break even on the rewards you’d earn with another no annual fee card that gets 3% back

I think I'm going to find a new primary credit card now once I use up all my UR points, which will take a while. You need to keep a Chase card to use them right?

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 14, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Inner Light posted:

IMHO this is an excellent article explaining why the Chase Sapphire Reserve kinda sucks now, like most credit cards, especially the break-even amounts:
https://thewirecutter.com/money/credit-cards/chase-sapphire-reserve-annual-fee-change/

It's fine if you reliably spend well over $16k on travel/dining per year, but I do not. Otherwise it's a big money maker for Chase and not so great for customers anymore.

I think I'm going to find a new primary credit card now once I use up all my UR points, which will take a while. You need to keep a Chase card to use them right?

I average around 100,000 points a year on my CSR in accumulation and that alone grants me an additional $500 in travel for my airfare. Then you add the travel credits and other benefits and I think it still makes sense, for my use case.

I would have to go into min-max territory from here on what other options/redemption strategies I would have to go with (different card, airlines, etc.) but at least for now I don’t feel that I’m losing out on a $450 fee, personally.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TraderStav posted:

I average around 100,000 points a year on my CSR in accumulation and that alone grants me an additional $500 in travel for my airfare. Then you add the travel credits and other benefits and I think it still makes sense, for my use case.

I would have to go into min-max territory from here on what other options/redemption strategies I would have to go with (different card, airlines, etc.) but at least for now I don’t feel that I’m losing out on a $450 fee, personally.

Yeah for your use case, you sound like a big-rear end spender which definitely keeps it a winner for you. 100k in UR points per year is a ton. Wouldn't 100k points be $1250 not $500?

The fee post April is $550 minus the travel credit, which the break-even amounts account for.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 14, 2020

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Inner Light posted:

Yeah for your use case, you sound like a big-rear end spender which definitely keeps it a winner for you. 100k in UR points per year is a ton. Wouldn't 100k points be $1250 not $500?
I think he means the 50% bonus when redeeming for travel in the portal nets an extra $500 ($1500 total - $1000 cash out value).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TraderStav posted:

Yeah I’m in a similar boat. Between vacation/everyday/business travel I’ll spend the $16k, but I wonder if I could be min/maxing a better strategy. Not sure I want to put in the effort though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Inner Light posted:

The fee post April is $550 minus the travel credit, which the break-even amounts account for.

Whoops, I meant $550, not $450

But yeah, now you're making me realize that I am spending a shitload (looks like ~$85k to get 130K points). They're not being generated 1:1 as dining and other categories are higher (such as 3%) but still a lot of spend. I do put EVERYTHING humanly possible on it. I pay for my kids travel soccer, vacations, etc. so it does add up fast. Also a fair amount of reimbursement expenses that I collect points on.

Very active family of 5 adds up!

Small White Dragon posted:

I think he means the 50% bonus when redeeming for travel in the portal nets an extra $500 ($1500 total - $1000 cash out value).

Yes, I consider the first 1.0 a wash as I can get dollar for point on virtually any credit card. So if I'm putting in 100K points in for travel and getting $1,500 in value, that's a positive $500 in my pocket. Less than $250 annual fee ($550 - $300 travel credits) and I'm up $250 for using the CSR. That's not taking into account higher point generation for dining and all of the other benefits. (Lyft, Global Entry, lounge access, car insurance, etc.)

So in conclusion, CSR may still be good. Thank you all for listening.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Agreed.

It's almost like premium travel cards are products for people who travel a lot and spend a lot of money on them. Who woulda thunk?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

Agreed.

It's almost like premium travel cards are products for people who travel a lot and spend a lot of money on them. Who woulda thunk?

The AMEX Business Platinum at $595 and all the benefits they've pulled back are not worth it though. Can't even get the travel credit for buying a flight directly. Nor can you get it by buying an airline gift card and buy it, it's only for incidentals. But, there's one weird trick the airlines hate! You buy a small amount of gift card, then partial pay with that, and HOPE that they code the remaining balance that you paid with the card is recognized as an incidental (which I believe it currently is).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

The AMEX Business Platinum at $595 and all the benefits they've pulled back are not worth it though.

I'm not saying they are are all equal, or even all worth it. But absolutely none of them will do you a bit of good (meaning at least recovering the annual fee) without the spend.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

astral posted:

Another option is to downgrade it into a no-AF Chase Sapphire.

Is this a thing you have to call for? I can't find anything about that online. Would it let me still transfer points?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Is this a thing you have to call for? I can't find anything about that online. Would it let me still transfer points?

pig slut lisa posted:

If you do either of those things you will lose the ability to transfer your URs to travel partners. You must have either a CSP, a CSR, or an Ink+ to be able to convert URs to other miles or points.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Is this a thing you have to call for?

Yes. As mentioned above, there's no transferring points when it's the regular Sapphire. However, you can product change it back to the CSP in the future when you want to transfer points.

The regular Sapphire has no annual fee, receives 2x on dining and 1x on everything else, and it does have a foreign transaction fee.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Motronic posted:

Agreed.

How am I supposed rep my yuppie cred and impress dates without a premium credit card???

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

How am I supposed rep my yuppie cred and impress dates without a premium credit card???

cancel the card but keep it in your wallet then make like you're going to pay with it but go "oh wait, i forgot that this one has better rewards on this spending category this quarter" and pay with another one

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

cancel the card but keep it in your wallet then make like you're going to pay with it but go "oh wait, i forgot that this one has better rewards on this spending category this quarter" and pay with another one

If you do a product change with Chase, you can continue using your previous physical card until it expires since they keep the same number, so you could just pay with it as-is.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Shear Modulus posted:

Protip: this line drives women crazy!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

astral posted:

If you do a product change with Chase, you can continue using your previous physical card until it expires since they keep the same number, so you could just pay with it as-is.

My wife has been using my Freedom Unlimited card that I used to have before product changing up to the CSR (ineligible for bonus and had changed down to save the fee for a year) for well over a year now and they both work great. Since authorized users cost a bit on the CSR (and I believe make them ineligible for bonuses) it's a nice benefit.

Side note, just cashed in 130K URs to book my summer trip to Greece for my family. Ended up only being $2,500 out of pocket for a family of five in August.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Also don't discount the fungibility benefit of being able to use the points at 1:1 for any airline. Being able to avoid lock-in lets you take advantage of a cheaper flight options with those points than if you were locked into a carrier. I just redeemed two flights to Japan and ended up paying $100 out of pocket between the travel credit + points + choosing a more affordable flight.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

TraderStav posted:

Yes, I consider the first 1.0 a wash as I can get dollar for point on virtually any credit card. So if I'm putting in 100K points in for travel and getting $1,500 in value, that's a positive $500 in my pocket. Less than $250 annual fee ($550 - $300 travel credits) and I'm up $250 for using the CSR. That's not taking into account higher point generation for dining and all of the other benefits. (Lyft, Global Entry, lounge access, car insurance, etc.)

You should be basing comparisons on 2%, not 1%, as there are multiple 2% cash back 0 effort cards.

CSR still may be worth it depending on your habits.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

angryrobots posted:

Well I assume you're familiar with the negative changes with the Barclay's Uber if you have it or were planning to get it.

I got this in September and am pretty pissed.

New job, using card for work travel and expenses. Probably $4-5k per month in airfare, hotels. 4% was awesome. The app was pretty good.

I'm looking for suggestions for new card. I hardly ever use credit cards otherwise so I'm pretty ignorant. I have the one from my credit union for emergencies, and keep it active, but that's all I know.

I prefer rewards I can translate to cash, toward statement, or gift cards. I travel so much for work I don't want dedicated miles or hotel rewards. Citi double cash (mentioned in OP and I see rated high) still a good pick? Was also looking at wells Fargo propel, I think it is 3%, can redeem for cash at an atm, apparently. My old gig we used AMEX and the number of times it wasn't accepted I can count on one hand.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Do you travel internationally or just domestic? Want to see if no foreign transaction fee is important to you or not.

Is lounge access or any perks you would get with an ultra premium card worth anything to you?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Do you travel internationally or just domestic? Want to see if no foreign transaction fee is important to you or not.

Is lounge access or any perks you would get with an ultra premium card worth anything to you?

Thank you.

My last job, that I was poached from, was a lot of international travel and I could expense one lounge membership per year, so yeah, I guess I got used to that. But I've only been at this new gig since October; all of my travel has been domestic, mostly western US. Short hops where I haven't spent too much time in a terminal. So I guess no to lounges, yes to no foreign transaction fees.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

You should be basing comparisons on 2%, not 1%, as there are multiple 2% cash back 0 effort cards.

CSR still may be worth it depending on your habits.
Other than Costco, are there common situations where you wouldn’t be able to use a MasterCard like the Citi Double Cash? I know a lot of small shops won’t take Amex but I would imagine the ones that take Visa also take MasterCard.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

full disclosure: I don't play the credit card game very well. I don't travel enough for work, or pleasure to really care about miles or status. I throw almost everything on a 2% cash back card, but I do have a couple other cards I use depending on the situation.

There's going to be 2 schools of thought for your situation I think

1: Chasing sign up bonuses with your large spend. You should be able to knock out several large sign up bonuses on a couple cards over the next year. The sign up bonus rewards can be worth a ton. The Chase cards would be first because of their 5/24 rule. Someone probably has better advice regarding this. Most programs I'm aware of can cash out points/rewards into gift cards, it just isn't the *optimal* way to *maximize* your rewards.

2: If you don't want to play the game, figure out 2, maybe 3 cards that work best for your purchases. 90% of my spend goes on the Citi Double Cash, or my credit union 2% straight cash back cards. This works best for me, as I don't feel like carrying a ton of cards with me, and consulting a sheet of paper every time I buy something so I can earn another 13 cents in rewards. I keep 4 cards in my wallet. Citi double cash (MC), Amex Blue Cash, Citi Costco Visa, local CU cash back(MC). This also ensures I have 3 different types of cards in case I'm somewhere that doesn't take one for some reason. I don't bother carrying my Discover IT card.

I think someone in your situation should look at the Chase Sapphire Preferred. It does have a 95 dollar annual fee, but double points on travel, no FTF, a large sign up bonus, and the overall value of Chase UR points makes the card pretty attractive. Not sure you'd get value out of the Chase Sapphire Reserve and it's huge 550 dollar annual fee.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's the benefit of CSR vs Amex Plat at this point

Seens like they have a significant amount of overlap, but the airport lounge benefits don't really stack

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

pumped up for school posted:

Was also looking at wells Fargo propel, I think it is 3%, can redeem for cash at an atm, apparently. My old gig we used AMEX and the number of times it wasn't accepted I can count on one hand.

That looks to be directed straight at the Barclay's Uber. $200 sign up bonus, 3% at restaurants, travel, and streaming services. Also included cell phone insurance.

I'll probably cash out whatever is sitting on the Uber before Feb 1 and cancel it for this.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

pumped up for school posted:

I got this in September and am pretty pissed.

New job, using card for work travel and expenses. Probably $4-5k per month in airfare, hotels. 4% was awesome. The app was pretty good.

I'm looking for suggestions for new card. I hardly ever use credit cards otherwise so I'm pretty ignorant. I have the one from my credit union for emergencies, and keep it active, but that's all I know.

I prefer rewards I can translate to cash, toward statement, or gift cards. I travel so much for work I don't want dedicated miles or hotel rewards. Citi double cash (mentioned in OP and I see rated high) still a good pick? Was also looking at wells Fargo propel, I think it is 3%, can redeem for cash at an atm, apparently. My old gig we used AMEX and the number of times it wasn't accepted I can count on one hand.

Wells Fargo Propel looks like an excellent alternative to the CSR for customers that don't spend enough to outweigh the annual fee, and I wasn't aware of it before. Plus 3% at gas stations, which CSR doesn't have. Thanks!

Hope they don't start opening extra accounts for me :)

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

Hadlock posted:

Seens like they have a significant amount of overlap, but the airport lounge benefits don't really stack

I guess the effective annual fee is still smaller if you can't use the Uber/Saks/Airline incidental credits, but those are relatively easy to use. CSR still has better rental car insurance and you can use the Priority Pass restaurants.

I've carried both, but I'll be dropping the CSR before it comes due again. I liked the simplicity of using the portal for travel, but my goal is to clean out my UR points and switch to AmEx full time.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
There's just something about that extra travel insurance and protection that I can't shake. I think the CSR has me hooked, at least for another cycle.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Chase includes Priority Pass restaurants AND lounges where the AMEX only gets you Lounge acess, not PP restaurant access, but you get centurion lounge access in return.

if you have a set travel itinerary and will be at airports with centurion lounges (Small footprint) you should do AMEX probs.

The Chase gives you more flexibility at airports for free poo poo since it includes stand alone restaurants not just lounged. i.e. - Corona Beach House in MIA is a PP Restaurant I get to go to as a chase holder, but my AMEX friend can not get any free poo poo there.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Hadlock posted:

- CSR earns faster for most people (3x dining/travel) than Amex (5x flights and prepaid hotels).
- They both transfer to partners, but CSR lets you redeem as cash towards travel for 1.5cpp. (Note the Business Amex Plat has a similar benefit, but only for flights).
- They both have Priority Pass, although Amex excludes participating airport restaurants now.
- Amex Plat includes Centurion Lounge access and SkyClub access when flying Delta. CSR has no equivalent benefit.
- Amex Plat gives Hilton Gold and Marriott Gold status. CSR has no equivalent benefit.
- CSR's travel credit is way easier to use (and larger) than Amex's airline incidental credit.

In a sense, they're sort of complementary because the Plat is a great card to hold for the benefits but not the most rewarding for spend, while the CSR is the other way around.

Inner Light posted:

Wells Fargo Propel looks like an excellent alternative to the CSR for customers that don't spend enough to outweigh the annual fee, and I wasn't aware of it before. Plus 3% at gas stations, which CSR doesn't have. Thanks!

Hope they don't start opening extra accounts for me :)

FYI there's another no-AF Wells Fargo card you can pair it with to get a 50% bonus when redeeming towards flights (so an effective 4.5% just like the CSR).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Waroduce posted:

if you have a set travel itinerary and will be at airports with centurion lounges (Small footprint) you should do AMEX probs.

Yeah we fly almost exclusively out of SFO, DFW and HOU which are all centurion airports

And also yeah now that we have the amex plat we are staying at hiltons a lot more which is making the wife very happy with the honors gold. Just curious about the difference. I was considering getting a CSR as well prior to the but with the annual fee bump seems like chase is forcing users to pick either or.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey is there a good resource for this kinda stuff but for Australia? Me and the wife are ok at budgeting but are lazy with credit cards and I feel like we could be earning more in points and stuff but I’m not really sure where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I dont think there is a huge difference just cause your Aussie. All my benefits are global just like everyones..there are hiltons and priority pass etc etc everywhere