Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

angerbeet posted:

1-888-SKIMBLESHANKSTHERAILWAYCAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
wanna start a weed farm so i can invent the strain Skimbledank, the Railway Kush

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The kush of the railway jaaaaaayyyyyyyyy

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Watched the movie in Chinese Theater last night and others did end up showing up. Never seen an audience like this at any movie; it really makes it feel like a cultural event of our generation rejecting crap produced by the previous generation's executives. Everyone was young and drunk and cackling through the whole movie. One guy from the group in front of us left and came back, loudly announcing that he threw up.

The movie itself and its jerky CG dancing felt like peering into one of these ads for five hours:

Shout outs to Rum Tum Tugger losing his role from the play almost entirely, yet the actor still sang his heart out from behind the foreground actors and managed to add a lot to the songs anyway. His talents were wasted in favor of Rebel Wilson and Judi Dench and Gandalf doing more flat not-singing talking, as often as possible throughout the movie's lyrics, by themselves, without backup singers.

That really stood out as something I wasn't warned about in here. It's not just that Hooper is zooming in on ONE cat's face during each of the songs, it's that all the other actors' parts have been removed. In the stage play each song was a highly cooperative exercise; now it's all just solos, performed by some of the least talented soloists. For each uncomfortably long close-up or camera pan following one actor's jerky CG body, there was brilliant chemistry removed that would have existed between *multiple* cats riffing off of each other in the stage performance.

Another thing the thread didn't warn me about was the gross leg scratching in the beginning. But I suppose the hosed up mice children appearing right afterwards made everyone forget. Now you can remember.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
The thing that keeps reoccuring to me at random is that weird tongue thing and slurpy noise that Judi Dench The Cat did during the very very long Cat Is Not A Dog harangue.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I thought Rebel Wilson scratching her pussy cat crotch was a feature, not a flaw, of the movie. Hooper is all about close-ups of his stars.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think this is all of our brains right now

https://youtu.be/uauT-M6cHDU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

YggiDee posted:

I think this is all of our brains right now

https://youtu.be/uauT-M6cHDU

Toxoplasmosis?

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
So a local cinema is doing a double feature of Cats and Climax. I hope there's going to be ambulances outside,because just reading about it made me have to lie down for a bit.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
CATS

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Thank you 1983 Cats Production for rehabilitating the image of Jennyanydots

The Planet is dying, and that is why I should be the jellicle choice

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

canonically

what happens to a jellicle cat if they just die and never get selected

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Now that this is the Cats fan thread we can discuss our favourite background characters from the video version. Mine’s the one who sings “were you there when the pharaoh commissioned the Sphinx”

Also when Rum Tum Tugger is singing you can see some of the older cats, including Skimbleshanks, disapproving of this hilarity and riot in the back. They’re in character all the time and it’s fun to watch.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Alan Smithee posted:

canonically

I think they get reincarnated anyway. Old Deuteronomy is said to have lived many lives in succession. Maybe the Choice thing just lets you pick out your new life? Who knows.

My favourite background cat from the video version is that goofy little kitten who gets all overwhelmed by the Rum Tum Tugger, I think she portrays the way kittens get overexcited by stuff well.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Alan Smithee posted:

canonically

They talk about deuteronomy having many lives. The play is obsessed with 'kinds of cats" so maybe normally you are reborn the same character class and the choice lets you move to something else. Like when skimbleshanks dies he'll be a railroad cat in his next life too, but he could be a grumble cat if he wanted to retire.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Becoming the jellicle choice probably functions like completing a run and getting an ascension bonus in a roguelike

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Becoming the jellicle choice probably functions like completing a run and getting an ascension bonus in a roguelike

It also seems like deuteronomy has many lives and 9-99 grandchildren all in cat hell earth. They say the cat chosen gets a new life IN the heaviside layer. So I guess maybe a normal cat will resurrect 9 lives on earth and never escape. But the chosen can be born new in a new better world.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

A roguelikelike at best.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Now that this is the Cats fan thread we can discuss our favourite background characters from the video version. Mine’s the one who sings “were you there when the pharaoh commissioned the Sphinx”

Also when Rum Tum Tugger is singing you can see some of the older cats, including Skimbleshanks, disapproving of this hilarity and riot in the back. They’re in character all the time and it’s fun to watch.

Jellylorum: not the mom the kittens deserved, but the mom they needed.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'm a cats

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Heard from a first-hand source tonight that there is a deleted scene where Jennyanydots urinates on camera, that was cut to make age certification. This is not a joke.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

See, I can kind of understand the James Corden take on Bustopher Jones (even if I feel meh about it), but they just hosed Jennyanydots poo poo up. I think it would have made a poo poo-ton more sense to have Rebel Wilson lazying it up during the day, and then turn into a tyrannical schoolmarm that whips the cockroaches and mice into shape without feeling the need to eat them.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Also, petitioning to change the title to:

CATS: Jennyanypiss Take is Real

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

josh04 posted:

Heard from a first-hand source tonight that there is a deleted scene where Jennyanydots urinates on camera, that was cut to make age certification. This is not a joke.

If this is true then there are probably other piss scenes in the movie that were cut. Hell I can think of like three places where you could add one.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

overmind2000 posted:

If this is true then there are probably other piss scenes in the movie that were cut. Hell I can think of like three places where you could add one.

The 4D version of Cats gets a special surprise when Old Deuteronomy signals her approval of Gus' performance

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh my god

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

A roguelikelike at best.

Considering the amount of garbage can food it’s actually a Beat em up

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Skimbleshanks ascends in a dizzying, whirring spiral, pissing the entire time

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

#ReleaseThePissTake

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Alan Smithee posted:

Considering the amount of garbage can food it’s actually a Beat em up

Catslevania.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

gschmidl posted:

Catslevania.

Fatal Furry

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
River City Cats

now picturing a Cats fighting game, you've already got the diverse and colourful cast with their own individual gimmicks.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
A horror game where the various CATS jump out and chase you

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

A horror game where the various CATS jump out and sing at you

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Dumb Lowtax posted:

A horror game where the various CATS jump out SKIM. BLE. SHANKS. THE. RAIL. WAY. CAT.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
laudanum

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dumb Lowtax posted:

A horror game where the various CATS jump out and chase you

sir

Cats is already a Sega CD Full Motion Video title

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
More movies gifs and clips please! I'm gonna wait until I can watch this via other means, but goddamn does it look twisted. That cockroach scene is magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

henpod posted:

More movies gifs and clips please! I'm gonna wait until I can watch this via other means, but goddamn does it look twisted. That cockroach scene is magic.

gently caress, I may have to see this movie a second time in theaters now...

Edit: Can't believe I missed this one

Bogus Adventure fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 15, 2020