Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah I had an ultimate chest armour sitting in my inventory for a while because I wasn't R5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

jabro posted:

Yes, please move the talk to mobile so this thread can be archived.

You can't archive it, yet! There's a new class coming out in Korea on the 17th (and us in like the middle of summer maybe)! A buff Viking lady with an axe and shield and bear skin cape, straight out of modded Skyrim.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

In on mobile as Juroh.

Guild is gettin bigger, we got like 15 more slots I think.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Mobile guild leveled up this morning.

Be sure to do the guild quests, theres 3 super easy ones, to do 1 arena, boss rush or ancient ruins .. and a 4th to kill like 1000 dudes.

Try and do em every day if you can.

Also drat, peep that viking lady. I want to play that ! mobile is really making me wanna play desktop but I dont think I can go back to building failstacks when Ive experienced BDO without failing enchanting on mobile

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh neat, I was wondering what guild level did.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

How is the cash shop? It’s mobile so I assume it’s chock full of it and even worse? I asked in the Android gaming thread but doesn’t look like they played the pc version. Getting gear sounds like a gacha system? Is enchanting/fail stacks/degrading in? Do I need to buy 3 pets for loot pick ups?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Hi posted:

Mobile guild leveled up this morning.

Be sure to do the guild quests, theres 3 super easy ones, to do 1 arena, boss rush or ancient ruins .. and a 4th to kill like 1000 dudes.

Try and do em every day if you can.

Also drat, peep that viking lady. I want to play that ! mobile is really making me wanna play desktop but I dont think I can go back to building failstacks when Ive experienced BDO without failing enchanting on mobile

There's another tab on the guild quests where you can just use a gathering skill five times as well.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Hy_C posted:

How is the cash shop? It’s mobile so I assume it’s chock full of it and even worse? I asked in the Android gaming thread but doesn’t look like they played the pc version. Getting gear sounds like a gacha system? Is enchanting/fail stacks/degrading in? Do I need to buy 3 pets for loot pick ups?
Hi! I remember you from desktop

Cash shop is pretty similar to desktop cash shop.

If youre serious and into it youll probably end up buying the luxury packages that everyones currently taking for granted cause they hand out free for new players.. theres three I think? black spirit plus makes the auto gather / combat when games closed last 6 hours instead of 3 and ramps up your carrying weight.. combat plus which also ramps up carry weight, gives a small buff to black spirit exp gain and lets you skip the trash packs on boss rushes. and camp plus which buffs all your camp stuff, black stone production, horse bonding duration, stamina consumption etc... None of them are MUST haves like the desktops VIP package that reduces the cut from selling things on market but all are varying degrees of useful.

other than that... theres pets, cosmetics, and a few pay 2 win things like scrolls that erase the negatives from failing enchants.. which really only comes into play with accessories since the enchanting is changed from desktop.. or at least changed from US release BDO, I havent played in a while.. but theres no fail stacks anymore, on weapons and armor you its a % chance of success that increases the more blackspirit stones you use.. accessories is still mash duplicates together, but like I said theres like a 25 cent consumable scroll you can use if you fail an accessory that allows you to not blow up the accessory and have to start over. All in all MUCH easier to progress.

3 pets is ideal but you will get one for free and a bit in, maybe like day two or three depending on how much you play youll get the ability to buy a second one with black pearls, the ingame no real money premium currency, so thats two free pets which will vacuum up like 75% of the items... I bought a third pet just cause I like having a herd of cats following me around but dont plan on spending much more, doesnt really seem to demand it.

I think the only *real* pay2win is the ability to convert pearls which only come from real life spending to black pearls, because blackpearls are the currency used for accessories. Theres a million ways to earn them ingame, but you could theoretically if you had a big enough wallet, circumvent that and just buy ogre rings with your credit card. Pretty cost prohibitive tho and completely unnecessary

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Do I need to be on the NA region to play with goons?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Xun posted:

Do I need to be on the NA region to play with goons?

You need to be on the Heidel server yes. I think Arena is cross-server though but also Arena is godawful.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Heres some videos for whatever Alpha Goon Hero among men makes the OP in the mobile games forum can use.

heres an imgur link to videos of me questin, fighting boss rush and of enchantment works on the mobile version

https://imgur.com/a/ru0eRaK

I was gonna embed them but for whatever raisin it doesnt wanna cooperate and Id rather go back to playing than try and figure it out

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Awfully tempting, is Kuno or Striker out yet?

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Nah just the original classes so far.

edit: tho they moved away from MP and stamina potions to a quick recharging resource bar, so archers are suuuuper popular atm because that was their big limiting factor, having to bring like 600 stamina potions everywhere.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh very well

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907346

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Oh hell yes, you even put my videos in the OP.

:glomp:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Wow, we're getting Guardian in January, with pre-reg next week.

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/black-desert-online-is-launching-guardian-on-january-22nd.512990/

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face
[moved to mobile thread]

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I loled at this because is she supposed to be a new base class or the female equivalent to the Giant? I mean she's a big tribal amazoness that uses an axe but the name and shield makes it feel like she's going to be defensive.

Most female versions of characters do tend to be more defense oriented than the male ones

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Completely new class, much closer to Valkyrie and Warrior than Berzerker.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Hopped on the test server and the screenshots don't accurately show how ripped the Guardian is. Maxed out, her arms are almost as thick as her legs. She goes to the same gym as Chris Redfield.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Schubalts posted:

Hopped on the test server and the screenshots don't accurately show how ripped the Guardian is. Maxed out, her arms are almost as thick as her legs. She goes to the same gym as Chris Redfield.

Finally I can play as the circus strongwoman of my dreams. Thanks video games.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Myself and like 8 friends got into this recently because it was mega cheap. None of us are really interested in tryharding endgame stuff (yet, anyway). Is there much we can do that's interactive between the lot of us? Player trading being out means that I can't really make beer for everyone elses workers, so i'm at a bit of a loss. Is there any point making a guild this early? Game gave me a shitton of money and I can do it, but right now we're just clan'd up.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

dogstile posted:

Myself and like 8 friends got into this recently because it was mega cheap. None of us are really interested in tryharding endgame stuff (yet, anyway). Is there much we can do that's interactive between the lot of us? Player trading being out means that I can't really make beer for everyone elses workers, so i'm at a bit of a loss. Is there any point making a guild this early? Game gave me a shitton of money and I can do it, but right now we're just clan'd up.

Beer is actually one of the few tradable items.

BDO is pretty notorious as a single-player MMO experience, co-op usually results in lower silver/hr. PVP is the exception, as its usually a numbers game unless the gear of participants is very unbalanced.

Being in a guild is actually really important for the active and passive buffs that a leveled up guild provides.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We're looking up hunting as a group experience, we're not toooo concerned about money, people are just working out how nodes work and i'm guiding people through that process as i've worked that out fairly quickly.

I've turned the clan into a guild. I'll have a play about, see what I can do.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Under the escape menu -> war -> savage rift is something I think you could do as a group. It's kind of a weird pve game mode that is part tower defense where you build structures, shoot enemies with muskets, and I think there are some towers you can build and man to shoot at enemies. It's considered dead content because it's not worth it from a silver/hour perspective but as a group of new players it might still be decent money. And something to do as a group, which is rare in this game. The newer version of that mode is altar of blood where you use your actual gear and abilities instead of muskets to fight off waves of enemies, but that mode is gear dependent. A group of newbies won't be able to go very far in it until you get more gear.

The best exp grinding spot in the game is a group spot in kamasylvia called mirumoks, (holo forest), and it's quite decent money too. But you guys won't have the gear for it for a while. I'd consider 220-230ap as a minimum to try it out, and if you try to group with pubbies they will sneer hard if you say you have that much ap but there is no in-game way to verify someone's gear. Gyfin Rhasa temple is similar to mirumoks, basically the only 2 spots in the game where mobs killed in a group also get to be looted by everyone in the group. Well technically Mirumoks only 3 people in the group get to loot, but if you 5 man it the experience is way above and beyond anything else in the game.

If you made a guild, make sure to do some guild missions. Basically kill X things at location Y, or gather X macguffins. These will get you guild exp for guild skill points which provide rather important buffs like free AP.

Hunting is technically a group activity in some aspects, but the way muskets work is quite clunky. There's a musket icon in the bottom right that will show if any of the big hunting targets are spawned on your current channel, (whales, khalks, etc)

The primary thing a lot of people play the game for is something called "node wars" which is a group pvp thing. Every night a certain set of regions in the game is up for grabs and guilds can plop down a fort and other buildings in the actual game world and the goal is to kill the other guild's forts. If you win the region you get a bunch of silver in your guild bank that you can distribute in a guild payout. But again, pvp in this game is extremely gear and numbers based so a cute group of newbies isn't going to do much here unless you join another guild and tag along. People with no gear can still be productive in node wars in some ways by manning towers and using siege weapons.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Aight, i guess for now we'll just do some crafting guild missions, because everyone's currently in the stage of "what do i do and how do i do it" and we'll go from there, thanks!

I'll pin your post in our discord as well for now, for reference.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

How can I get invited to the goon guild? The guilds feature doesn't seem to have a search function.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ModeSix posted:

How can I get invited to the goon guild? The guilds feature doesn't seem to have a search function.

Edit: wrong game, ignore my dumb rear end.

jabro fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 15, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
On the subject of guilds, how do guild points work. Is there a max? I kinda want to get command to gather, but i'd also like to get + to a couple of skills (maybe gathering). Will going down one prevent me from doing another?

E: Also why is all of this information difficult to google.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
You have to do guild missions for xp. There is no max after you earn all the skills

J
Jun 10, 2001

dogstile posted:

On the subject of guilds, how do guild points work. Is there a max? I kinda want to get command to gather, but i'd also like to get + to a couple of skills (maybe gathering). Will going down one prevent me from doing another?

E: Also why is all of this information difficult to google.

As you get more guild skill points, future guild skill points do start taking more exp to earn but there is no cap on total skill points. So prioritize the most important stuff first, but in the long run you can get everything. And yes, this game is remarkably difficult to actually research information about the mechanics. There is a very real chance that any information about mechanics that is more than 6 or so months old has been changed significantly since then, and the only way you're gonna find that out is either asking someone, or sifting through patch notes. And boy howdy their patch notes for this game are something. They will sneak in a 1 liner in some random rear end section of the notes that is actually really important, and sometimes bad translations cover up how significant certain changes are.

Feel free to just dump questions in here I can probably answer most of them because I'm a dumbass who has played this game for too long. Discords related to the game are all over the place in terms of usefulness, some are great, others are these loving idiotic fiefdoms controlled by people who don't even play the game anymore and yell at anyone who comes in and asks questions even though the FAQs and pinned comments are outdated.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Yeah you basically won't know how the game works until you're reading the patch notes each week. Even then I still find myself clueless on a few of the basic game mechanics. For example, I didn't know how to start sailing out of port epheria so I haven't used my boat in months. Someone else in my guild explained to me that you have to click on some weird new UI element that's mostly hidden on my screen to raise or lower your sails, dependent on the wind/current.

Naturally I haven't gone back to my boat since, as this is too much work for a lifeskill I never liked anyway.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Alright thanks. We did a bunch of guild missions last night (mostly gathering logs, easy guild money) and i've chucked some points into gathering. Is good fun.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hi, me again. We're still playing this. We've all hit level 50+ and i'm working on my duo weapon now, albiet i'm doing it slowly and also not really putting too much stock into it as i'm fairly sure they've designed this to be dumb on purpose so eh.

We're getting closer to that point where we're gonna get kicked off of olvia servers. My gf and a couple of my friends are incredibly worried about PVP and people randomly killing them while they play. Is this a thing that's common enough to be a problem? If so, what do we even lose from dying? Levels?

From what I can tell, PKing works on a karma system, so I have 300,000 karma, i kill someone, it takes 120,000 or something, then I have to grind back up by killing things, but if i do it too much i can't get back into towns for a while, so its heavily penalised. Not sure how that works in practice, does anyone know?

Also, how does it work in general? If someone attacks a friend of mine in a party, can we all just kick the gently caress out of the guy and not lose karma for doing so?

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

dogstile posted:

1) Hi, me again. We're still playing this. We've all hit level 50+ and i'm working on my duo weapon now, albiet i'm doing it slowly and also not really putting too much stock into it as i'm fairly sure they've designed this to be dumb on purpose so eh.

2) We're getting closer to that point where we're gonna get kicked off of olvia servers. My gf and a couple of my friends are incredibly worried about PVP and people randomly killing them while they play. Is this a thing that's common enough to be a problem? If so, what do we even lose from dying? Levels?

I can answer a few of your questions.

1) Some people say it's cheaper to save up the $ to just buy a duo weapon then to enhance it yourself. However with the amount of charity they give now that might not be true.
1a) Make sure that you all AFK fish when you aren't actively playing. You can pull out a ton of relic shards once you get higher levels of fishing / fishing rods. You can either sell those for $1m a pop, or combine them for boss scrolls to get mem frags / coin

2) Most people avoid pvp on regular servers, but you will eventually run into someone that will attack you on sight. Can use (v) to quickly get away, and then change channels if you want.
2) I believe they took out the exp penalty from dying.. But if you die to a mob (usually while you pvp in an area with mobs you'll agro a ton of them), you can lose crystals. But if the player kills you, you lose nothing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh sweet, that sounds kinda like what I thought it'd be. Will alleviate their fears. Thanks!

J
Jun 10, 2001

dogstile posted:

Hi, me again. We're still playing this. We've all hit level 50+ and i'm working on my duo weapon now, albiet i'm doing it slowly and also not really putting too much stock into it as i'm fairly sure they've designed this to be dumb on purpose so eh.

We're getting closer to that point where we're gonna get kicked off of olvia servers. My gf and a couple of my friends are incredibly worried about PVP and people randomly killing them while they play. Is this a thing that's common enough to be a problem? If so, what do we even lose from dying? Levels?

From what I can tell, PKing works on a karma system, so I have 300,000 karma, i kill someone, it takes 120,000 or something, then I have to grind back up by killing things, but if i do it too much i can't get back into towns for a while, so its heavily penalised. Not sure how that works in practice, does anyone know?

Also, how does it work in general? If someone attacks a friend of mine in a party, can we all just kick the gently caress out of the guy and not lose karma for doing so?

Here's a good gear progression guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jL-U4O4gA0d4e5OdO6v7stmZi_2NDTy-FXdXkR7huv4/preview

The enhancing system sucks but you can generally save up silver and just buy whatever you want straight off the market for the most part.

Good news is that you and your friends are in a surprisingly "strong" position as far as pvp goes. Since it sounds like you are generally playing in groups, people will probably just about never flag up to kill your group. The karma hit from killing a group of players is insanely high. Max banked karma is 300k, lowest negative you can go is -1million. Anything under 0 is "red" and faces extra death penalties and gets attacked by guards in towns unless it is nighttime. The amount of karma lost when someone is killed depends on the difference in gear strength between the two players.The bigger the gear gap, the bigger the karma lost. I think it ranges from 50k lost to 150k lost but I'm not 100% sure on those numbers. But someone who kills a group of newbies is going to be instantly negative karma most likely. Most players are not willing to go negative, it's a huge pain in the rear end and risky if they die.

There is a mechanic called guild wars where a guild can declare war on another guild, and after 15 minutes the war is on and you can kill each other with no karma loss. However, if you started your own guild and have not done any war decs on any other guilds and have not participated in any node wars, then you cannot be war decced on.

If you get killed in pvp you lose nothing, you just respawn at the nearest node. The main thing to watch out for is dying to mobs by accident, pve deaths cost you experience and potentially your gear crystals can break. If someone does want to attack you, they will have to flag up and your entire group can attack them back. Mind you, a geared player will murder your whole group no problem because gear is king in this game. But then they'd be negative karma and gain nothing, and you guys can respawn and continue doing whatever you were doing. The karma system is hugely in your favor in that regard. Most players are not willing to go negative karma to begin with, so they will probably leave you alone assuming you don't just walk on top of someone else's grind spot.There is a very very small subset of players who are "perma red" and are willing to jump through all the hoops and accept all the risks of being negative karma, and will kill people over and over. If you somehow encounter such a player you can just switch servers, no big deal. But you probably won't. Heck, even if you did encounter such a player, the fact that you're in a group generally is going to out you as a group of noobs to begin with and they might just leave you alone.

As for other totally random pvp sometimes people will troll and knock people off their horses sometimes. But as long as you don't walk on top of someone else's spot, and aren't trying to grind the most popular spots, pvp is extremely easy to avoid in this game. But if you read about this game a lot of people have this OMG ITS A HARDCORE PVP GAME IF YOU DONT LIKE PVP WHY ARENT YOU PLAYING WOW INSTEAD kinda view of it. Stay away from the most popular spots, check and see if someone else is there first before you start killing stuff, and generally people will leave you be.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's a fantastic guide, thanks!

Sounds like we'll be fine. We typically run the guild quests together, or just quest in general together and then all of our processing stuff is also all in the same town. I'm not sure that'll last but for now it means they'll get over the jitters of "randomly dying".

Grind spot wise I imagine you mean the areas like the fishmen (that's about where I am that I can see people kiting and grinding away) and other areas like it, rather than just random woods areas?

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I played this for like two weeks in 2016, was looking at it again for a fun break. I played a valk back then and it was ok. I am between sorceress, dark knight, or lahn, any reason I should choose or avoid any of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

dogstile posted:

Grind spot wise I imagine you mean the areas like the fishmen (that's about where I am that I can see people kiting and grinding away) and other areas like it, rather than just random woods areas?

Yeah by "grind spots" I mean areas that are typically named, with an AP recommendation on the world map. Catfish is a good example of such a spot. Each of these spots will typically have several "rotations" in it, basically areas where people run in a circle killing stuff without having to wait for respawns. The size of the rotation depends on class/gear, how fast you can clear. At the popular spots, people will come up with names for these rotations, like "main", "side", "back, " etc. Typically main is the "best" rotation at a given area, meaning the highest density of enemies and most loot per hour. People lose their drat mind if you walk into their rotation. But there are a whole lot of places that don't have defined rotations and typically are empty. In that case you just improvise a rotation and try not to step on anyone's toes, and they'll also probably leave you alone as well. Main thing is to just do a lap around the area first to check if anyone is there first, and if it's empty you're going to be fine 95% of the time unless it is a popular spot.

Ort posted:

I played this for like two weeks in 2016, was looking at it again for a fun break. I played a valk back then and it was ok. I am between sorceress, dark knight, or lahn, any reason I should choose or avoid any of these?

If you're going to just mess around for a little bit, play whatever you think is the coolest. Any of the classes can kill stuff in pve just fine. As far as raw power level goes, sorcs are generally considered very overpowered at the moment. They have spammable "iframes" (invincibility frames), making them very difficult to hit in pvp. They are one of the few classes that can dive into groups of people and get kills and get out consistently. A skilled sorc is a huge pain in the rear end to fight, but the class itself does require a lot of skill and knowledge of what other classes abilities look like. They have lots of animation cancels and generally require pressing a lot of buttons. But that's like, a serious business concern. Lot of players won't even play the game long enough for that kind of pvp to be relevant.

Lahns are not very good in group pvp but piss people off in 1v1 because they have a 1 second cooldown cooldown iframe, and are the only class with a ranged grab. Generally speaking if you land a grab versus an equally geared or worse player you can kill them off that grab. Lahn is easier to play than sorc and requires fewer overall inputs. And she can fly around which is kinda cool and unique. She's super chill and effective in pve. Lots of her abilities recover hp.

For a long time dark knight was considered underpowered, she basically required more gear and skill to get the same results as most other classes with no real upside or reason to play her. Right now though they are releasing new ability sets called "successions." Basically you start the game with 1 weapon and ability set, called "preawakening." At 56, now you unlock 2 potential new ability sets - an awakening weapon, or alternatively, a succession. If you choose succession you can't use the awakening weapon or abilities at all, but it gives you new, juiced up versions of the pre awakened abilities. From what I'm hearing the dark knight succession is getting pretty favorable reviews, but again this is all from a pvp standpoint. Sidenote, lahn doesn't have her succession released yet but dark knight and sorc do.