Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChrisBTY posted:

Is there a database of Rikishi Win-Loss-Withdraw records? My google-fu is apparently weak.

This is what I've seen

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=1123

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

gently caress me, I've been accessing SA solely on the Awful app for the past 2 weeks and only realized today that the old thread was closed. :negative:

Oh well, I'll just sign up for fantasy basho in March.

Happy to see new faces in the sumo thread but not so happy to see my boy Tochi look like an old man.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Salt Bae is off to a solid tournament start.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Come on Hattorizakura! I don't believe in you but prove me wrong! You're only 21, you have plenty of time to improve. 2 of your 3 career wins happened over the past year (and a half).

I took some time to check some things out.
~ His first win was against Sawanofuji in the 5th match of the latter's career. Sawanofuji's record is 42-113-2. Hattori has wrestled Sawanofuji more than any other Rikishi. Sawanofuji holds a career record of 9-1 against him after losing their first encounter.
~ His second win is against Houn, whose career record is 23-71. Including Sawanofuji above Houn is one of only 3 Rikishi Hattorizakura has wrestled 6 or more times. Naturally Houn's record is 5-1 against him. Unfortunately no video seems to exist of this match.
~ His third win is against Soga, who is a relative newcomer to Sumo with a record of 15-22 (which is by far the best record of the 3 men Hattorizakura has beaten). Soga has only wrestled Hattorizakura once. That's right. Hattorizakura actually has a winning record against somebody.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 15, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

ChrisBTY posted:

Come on Hattorizakura! I don't believe in you but prove me wrong! You're only 21, you have plenty of time to improve. 2 of your 3 career wins happened over the past year (and a half).

So he pays to train, right? And has to live at the heya? And has to do all the chores and gets basically abused because he's not juryo?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Well, that went pretty well as expected. At least I got to see a live Tochi forklifting.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Bentai posted:

Well, that went pretty well as expected. At least I got to see a live Tochi forklifting.

"alright, young man, time for bed"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spokes posted:

"alright, young man, time for bed"

Lol

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

did you foolishly assume hakuho's withdrawal would stem the tide of kinboshi like i did

oh, right, and i'll drop hakuho for kakuryu who is... 1-9 in his last 10. can't lose.

Spokes fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 15, 2020

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

There’ll be no Yokozuna in this tournament by Friday.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

Hakuho kyujo. Get your trades in, y/o ranks are gonna have no restrictions, since there will only be 2 options between Takakeisho and Kakuryu.

I think both times I've had Hakuho he's gone on to get injured and pull out. I'll swap him for Takakeisho.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

ilmucche posted:

So he pays to train, right? And has to live at the heya? And has to do all the chores and gets basically abused because he's not juryo?

No, yes and yes. Traditionally sumo was a place to dump failsons who probably wouldn't amount to much more. I mean, you'd obviously want people with actual talent too, but realistically, someone needs to scrub toilets.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bentai posted:

Salt Bae is off to a solid tournament start.

responsible for very nearly all of my points thus far except for a surprise return to doing something useful for goeido.

just joking enho i love you too.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Tochi vs Enho :kimchi: I kinda had a feeling that would happen.

The first match, Kiribayama vs Tokushoryu, what did the judges say in their ruling? I could see it being a "dead body" win for Tokushoryu or an utchari by Kiribayama. Tokushoryu was down first though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mekchu posted:

Hey Martytoof could you share how yoh go about getting sumo tix? A friend here in Korea said the only way he could go was via a tour group because tickets weren't available to buy when he tried to get them on his own.

Yes, absolutely. Other posters were on the dot with the link from the Sumo official website which ends up taking you to

http://sumo.pia.jp/en/sumo01.jsp

And also the caveats that you have to hawk these literally the second they go on sale. I actually got off transit and sat down at a McDonalds at like 9 at night just to be sure I would get my tickets, and even then it was dicey.

Here's advice and observations I can give based on my own experience, which is somewhat skewed since I was buying tickets to the first Reiwa tournament so demand MAY have been higher:

- The site crashed almost immediately under load. Unresponsive, not loading, timeouts, etc.
- DON'T try to get around this by loading the site in different tabs. If you make progress on one tab it somehow interferes with progress you may be making in another tab. I had a great ticket in progress of checking out in one tab which timed out, so I tried to proceed in another tab while this one was refreshing, only to realize that when the new tab picked a ticket it destroyed the checkout process on the other tab. I'm being vague about details because this was just an observation and not a detailed analysis of the underlying checkout process.
- If you have to multi-tab it, try instead to maybe use 3 separate browsers since your progress may be cookied and that may get you better results.

BUT having said all that, the entire process took maybe 20 minutes, and while I had a lot of problems and stress I did get decent tickets.

All the downsides I've heard about ticket brokers are that you get seats in the nosebleeds, that you are typically seated in a block surrounded by other tourists, and the inflated prices. I can't comment on the nosebleeds part, but the Kokugikan isn't huge and while I did enjoy having a closer seat I doubt being a little further back would kill me. Tourists? I was seated next to an American family anyway, so I wasn't really rubbing elbows with native Sumo fans. Prices were likely cheaper but I haven't looked into broker pricing. Obviously they will be higher since they don't do it as a charity. Having said that, if I paid more for my tickets *and* I had nosebleeds, that would definitely sour me on broker experience.

I'll be trying for a ticket purchase again for this May, since my Japan trip puts me in Tokyo from the 19th on, so maybe I'll try to document the process for fun.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Wow Kiribayama got screwed

Or were they saying his heel touched when he was balancing on the Tawara?

Tochinoshin vs Enho was hilarous(ly predictable), Tamawashi vs Mitakeumi was super fun, Abi just doing Abi things, heh.

Why are some of you using spoiler tags for this stuff, who is checking this thread day-by-day in the first week of the Basho but also doesn't wanna know results? It's really annoying to read. And if you're gonna insist on using spoiler tags, putting your entire reply in one big tag is completely useless, at least put like "Day X results" or specific bouts at the top. But really I think it's completely unnecessary.

ChrisBTY posted:

I took some time to check some things out.
~ His first win was against Sawanofuji in the 5th match of the latter's career. Sawanofuji's record is 42-113-2. Hattori has wrestled Sawanofuji more than any other Rikishi. Sawanofuji holds a career record of 9-1 against him after losing their first encounter.
~ His second win is against Houn, whose career record is 23-71. Including Sawanofuji above Houn is one of only 3 Rikishi Hattorizakura has wrestled 6 or more times. Naturally Houn's record is 5-1 against him. Unfortunately no video seems to exist of this match.
~ His third win is against Soga, who is a relative newcomer to Sumo with a record of 15-22 (which is by far the best record of the 3 men Hattorizakura has beaten). Soga has only wrestled Hattorizakura once. That's right. Hattorizakura actually has a winning record against somebody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNsbVFZUyk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj3gkCeZvSw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNUG-0eUfwA&t=375s

Here's videos of all 3 bouts, in the order that they took place. The second one is pretty funny, but the third one does bring some hope.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Brut posted:

Why are some of you using spoiler tags for this stuff, who is checking this thread day-by-day in the first week of the Basho but also doesn't wanna know results? It's really annoying to read. And if you're gonna insist on using spoiler tags, putting your entire reply in one big tag is completely useless, at least put like "Day X results" or specific bouts at the top. But really I think it's completely unnecessary.

Konstantin posted:

Just a heads up, common practice in the previous thread was to put specific results in spoiler tags for those of us who watch the YouTube digests later.

:shrug:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Previous rule of thumb was for folks watching the bouts as they occurred or just after to put stuff in spoilers so that those just waking up on the other side of the world could watch the replays/highlights first.

Normally, by late morning in the US, people have seen the results/watched the highlights so folks stop using spoiler tags. As someone who lives in the HK timezone, that seemed fair to me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Theoretically we could split into a N/V thread for discussion and questions, and a big two-week GDT for individual basho. This seems like a lot of effort for little payoff that spoiler tags can accomplish though.

Arguably you could say that people who haven’t watched just shouldn’t be clicking the thread, but I think that’s a little unfair. If I have a question or want to talk about some kind of event or happening that isn’t related to the day’s results I shouldn’t have to wait until I get home to watch after a busy day where I couldn’t steal 20 minutes to youtube.

Just my two cents though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anakha posted:

Previous rule of thumb was for folks watching the bouts as they occurred or just after to put stuff in spoilers so that those just waking up on the other side of the world could watch the replays/highlights first.

Normally, by late morning in the US, people have seen the results/watched the highlights so folks stop using spoiler tags. As someone who lives in the HK timezone, that seemed fair to me.

Yeah putting spoilers in for that days match seems fair and reasonable. I don't think a new thread is needed but maybe? A GDT thread that lasts 2 weeks seems....odd?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Well, crapola. I will trade out Hakuho for Takakeisho.

He is really breaking down now, he'll make it to the olympics, but maybe not to 2021.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'm up for no spoiler tags. yall know better then to read this poo poo before getting your fix.

Brut posted:

Wow Kiribayama got screwed

Or were they saying his heel touched when he was balancing on the Tawara?

it has to be the heel. but i disagree. i called in my missus to be the impartial third judge and she says his heel didn't touch either so as far as i'm concerned give the guy the win on the fantasy sumo :-)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

fisting by many posted:

So what happens if Goeido gets demoted? Wikipedia says there must be at least one East and West Ozeki (dunno if that's gospel), but that they've gotten around it in the past by designating active Yokozunas as Yokozuna-Ozeki. If both of them are out, then....

In the current era, I believe that wikipedia is wrong. Maybe that used to be the case (I dunno, old banzuke rules were really weird), but now yokozuna is a rank that must be earned, and ozeki is a rank that must be earned and maintained. There does not actually have to be any Y/O.

(but, realistically, the way that the ranking and promotion system in the sanyaku ranks work, at some point someone is going to get all those wins, and someone will inevitably be promoted. If they just simply got lucky from lack of good competition during their era, then they will be eventually knocked out into either demotion or forced retirement)

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Georgian play-by-play of the Tochi/Enho match. Headphone warning, keep the volume down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id5kLLAhx5g&t=8543s

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Bentai posted:

Georgian play-by-play of the Tochi/Enho match. Headphone warning, keep the volume down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id5kLLAhx5g&t=8543s

Oh poo poo I completely forgot these folks exist, they can make a boring Basho pretty fun, luckily this Basho is not boring.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

so.

steroids are not tested for right?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

With how archaic their injury treatment system is, I'm all for whatever PEDs will allow rikishi to recover better.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

so.

steroids are not tested for right?

Nope, but the Russians Roho and Hakurozan, seen near the top of this list of brothers in Sumo were expelled for weed in 2008.

I've seen conversations about Hakuho using steroids and stuff but it's always speculation, eye test becomes a lot rougher when these guys aren't trying to stay slim/cut weight.

Brut fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 16, 2020

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

i'm up for no spoiler tags. yall know better then to read this poo poo before getting your fix.

it has to be the heel. but i disagree. i called in my missus to be the impartial third judge and she says his heel didn't touch either so as far as i'm concerned give the guy the win on the fantasy sumo :-)

From online comments that could hear the judges, they said it was because Kiri went airborne first so it was a “shinitai” or “dead body” situation. Essentially, an exception to the “don’t touch down first” rule is if both guys fall/go out or the ring, then they can rule a guy has lost when he is put into an unrecoverable position even if the other guy lands first. The common example is if someone bullrushes the other guy and sends him airborne, but his momentum carries him out of the ring before the other guy lands, he still wins. Or in a rare nod to safety, if one guy straight up tackles another guy and is going to land on top of him, he can put his hand down to brace his fall rather than squash his opponent like a bug.

As you can see, it does lead to some controversy over when/whether the rule is applied since it does become a judgement call for the ref/grumpy old men rather than a straight factual call.

I still think he got screwed as it’s supposed to be for when one guy is clearly the attacker, but it looked like both guys were still doing things in that match and it looked to me like it was too close to call.

In a related note, there’s also a rule that could have applied to the Tochi-Enho match that says if you pick a dude up and carry him straight out, you still win if you step out before setting him down.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Theoretically we could split into a N/V thread for discussion and questions, and a big two-week GDT for individual basho. This seems like a lot of effort for little payoff that spoiler tags can accomplish though.

Arguably you could say that people who haven’t watched just shouldn’t be clicking the thread, but I think that’s a little unfair. If I have a question or want to talk about some kind of event or happening that isn’t related to the day’s results I shouldn’t have to wait until I get home to watch after a busy day where I couldn’t steal 20 minutes to youtube.

Just my two cents though.

Sometimes the people who upload the digests are a couple hours behind, too (they're busy people and we appreciate their work :)) I think spoilering for a few hours after is cool.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

Nope, but the Russians Roho and Hakurozan, seen near the top of this list of brothers in Sumo were expelled for weed in 2008.

I've seen conversations about Hakuho using steroids and stuff but it's always speculation, eye test becomes a lot rougher when these guys aren't trying to stay slim/cut weight.

sport requiring between 5 and ~60 seconds of raw power and strength? check.
brutal training regime? check.
perpetual injuries in need of magic fixes with absurd penalties for time taken to rehab? check
impetus to be as large as possible (both ways)? check
no testing. seriously, no testing? check checkity check check.

if you aren't on steroids in this sport you are absolutely out of your mind. weight lifting and body sculpting would be the only sports that would benefit from steroids MORE than sumo.

edit: also, hakuho is absolutely on steroids.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

From online comments that could hear the judges, they said it was because Kiri went airborne first so it was a “shinitai” or “dead body” situation. Essentially, an exception to the “don’t touch down first” rule is if both guys fall/go out or the ring, then they can rule a guy has lost when he is put into an unrecoverable position even if the other guy lands first. The common example is if someone bullrushes the other guy and sends him airborne, but his momentum carries him out of the ring before the other guy lands, he still wins. Or in a rare nod to safety, if one guy straight up tackles another guy and is going to land on top of him, he can put his hand down to brace his fall rather than squash his opponent like a bug.

As you can see, it does lead to some controversy over when/whether the rule is applied since it does become a judgement call for the ref/grumpy old men rather than a straight factual call.

I still think he got screwed as it’s supposed to be for when one guy is clearly the attacker, but it looked like both guys were still doing things in that match and it looked to me like it was too close to call.

In a related note, there’s also a rule that could have applied to the Tochi-Enho match that says if you pick a dude up and carry him straight out, you still win if you step out before setting him down.

thank you so much for this. that was extremely enlightening.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

Good to confirm that the judges made a debatable call rather than an objectively wrong one.

Also funny that sumo has a "Donkey Kong rule" In the Smash Bros. games, DK can walk around while holding opponents -- if DK suicides off the screen while holding an opponent the opponent will be KO'd slightly earlier

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 16, 2020

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

fisting by many posted:

Sometimes the people who upload the digests are a couple hours behind, too (they're busy people and we appreciate their work :)) I think spoilering for a few hours after is cool.

I'm cool with whatever, but that has been kind of an unspoken "rule" in the past, we don't go full-on 24 hour blackout, but by the time people in the US are going home from work, the digests and summaries are all posted and out, and at that point you probably should have seen the matches first before clicking on the sumo thread.

It had always just been more of a "don't spoil poo poo during my morning coffee" kind of thing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I'm just gonna leave some videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ3U9yVvpT8&t=200s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X619cjMTGIs&t=210s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdaz0Rx2yyM&t=90s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDJWW1cd5lc&t=60s

As for the spoiler stuff, I think my main issue is where it's the entire post, so like do this:

quote:

Wakanohana vs Takanohana
I can't believe Takanohana pulled a gun out of his Mawashi and hit the Gyoji with it

Instead of:

quote:

Maybe I'm saying Hattorizakura beat Hakuho, maybe I'm saying both Yokozuna might retire this year and putting my speculation in spoiler tags for some reason :shrug:, won't know until you click

I'll do my best to keep this in mind if I'm watching live and posting, but I'll usually just be watching the recaps anyway. Keep in mind though that as far as I can tell Natto is loving fast I think his video for day 4 went up like 40 minutes after the day ended so there might not be much of a difference depending on when someone hits the video.

Brut fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 16, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Rigel posted:

I'm cool with whatever, but that has been kind of an unspoken "rule" in the past, we don't go full-on 24 hour blackout, but by the time people in the US are going home from work, the digests and summaries are all posted and out, and at that point you probably should have seen the matches first before clicking on the sumo thread.

It had always just been more of a "don't spoil poo poo during my morning coffee" kind of thing.

the sumo elders have spoken. new guys will spoiler basho news for 24 hours! *bangs japanese gavel made of priceless china which breaks*

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Do they call it china in japan?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

sport requiring between 5 and ~60 seconds of raw power and strength? check.
brutal training regime? check.
perpetual injuries in need of magic fixes with absurd penalties for time taken to rehab? check
impetus to be as large as possible (both ways)? check
no testing. seriously, no testing? check checkity check check.

if you aren't on steroids in this sport you are absolutely out of your mind. weight lifting and body sculpting would be the only sports that would benefit from steroids MORE than sumo.

edit: also, hakuho is absolutely on steroids.

yeah, I am one of those annoying nerds who do not like steroids or PED's in competitive sports at all, not even for baseball or olympic sports. But I have to allow for one very big exception in sumo.

I do enjoy the fact that we get to see a big 15-day tournament every 2 months year round, but given the brutal nature of the sport where they literally still wrestle on hard clay in a small raised surface where they regularly fall out and hurt themselves, the primitive training regimin, and the absolutely ridiculous penalty these guys suffer for just simply getting injured for a while through no fault of their own.... if you are not on steroids, PEDS's, bicycling-style blood doping, and whatever the hell else they do not test for in this sport, then you are just an idiot.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 16, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rigel posted:

Yeah I don't think it's absurd to spoiler things for a few hours after the matches end. Hell they end by 6ish PM local and I can't watch the stuff til after I get done with BJJ at 9pm and I may have a question or two about rules/standings/etc. and would prefer not to have things spoiled while asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Also this was a flier I grabbed from the hostel I was at in Tokyo in 2017.

The back basically has what I can figure out are directions and other related info on how to get to the venue etc.