Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
In my state ABC= Alcoholic Beverage Control... Not sure what you're saying here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
You don’t need an alcohol beverage control license in any state to put together a cheese plate. That’s related to your wine.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm really not sure at all.

The kind of stuff I do, it's professors and grad students who want to have cheese and wine and discuss women mosaic artists of the late Byzantine empire or whatever.

I should clarify: I used to do a lot of these events with minimal effort by having Aramark deliver antipasto and charcuterie boards. Then they took that stuff off the menu in favour of the stations. They can still do it, but you have to get a custom quote and it's a hassle. (There's still one cheese tray on the standard menu, and it's cubed cheddar and Ritz crackers.)

So it's not weird to me that a Dim Sum Station exists, it's just weird that it replaced decent cheese as a standard feature.

As a former academic, I’d far rather have dim sum than cheese. I can particularly see it making sense if your university has a high proportion of Asian academics because no one who’s lactose intolerant really wants to spend six hours with stomach cramps after going to a reception.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

You don’t need an alcohol beverage control license in any state to put together a cheese plate. That’s related to your wine.
I don't actually work in the industry, though. For a while I was doing receptions on the cheap by getting the cheese boards myself and getting an event ABC license so that I could buy and serve wine. Then I remembered that I'm not a caterer, and handling all this stuff is why catering costs what it does.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
This is the only time I've ever had trouble getting hired. I think I'm getting filtered out of online app systems because I don't have open availability due to evening classes a few nights a week. I wonder if I should try the old school approach and start walking into places with a resume after doing the online apps.

Or is it really that hard to move from the sort of hybrid FOH/BOH role of counter-service places to full-service FOH?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

I wonder if there's a way to combine this with a food truck

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Canuck-Errant posted:

I wonder if there's a way to combine this with a food truck

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Okay now I just wanna see this in War Thunder. The Tesla Hetzer.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The trick with the baolista is to fire it fast enough to cool your soup dumplings, but not so fast as to re-geletanize it. Chin burns are a war crime.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Resting Lich Face posted:

This is the only time I've ever had trouble getting hired. I think I'm getting filtered out of online app systems because I don't have open availability due to evening classes a few nights a week. I wonder if I should try the old school approach and start walking into places with a resume after doing the online apps.

Or is it really that hard to move from the sort of hybrid FOH/BOH role of counter-service places to full-service FOH?

From my experience the chain places do the online thing and everyone else hires people who actually go to the place and applies in person.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Field Mousepad posted:

From my experience the chain places do the online thing and everyone else hires people who actually go to the place and applies in person.

That sounds right with about any industry. The bigger the company, the more impersonal/online the hiring is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I would maybe suggest trying for bussing jobs instead of serving. Counter service is very different from waiting on tables, if it's a busy place you can still make good tips. And you should absolutely be dropping off resumes in person.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Skwirl posted:

I would maybe suggest trying for bussing jobs instead of serving. Counter service is very different from waiting on tables, if it's a busy place you can still make good tips. And you should absolutely be dropping off resumes in person.

I'm applying for barback with aims of moving up to bartending after a bit.

Doesn't help that my previous actual proper restaurant experience was pre-transition and now I am stealth (SA is the only place I'm out since changing my name and dropping off the face of the earth) so I cannot put it on my resume.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 14, 2020

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
If you’re applying for a full serving job and only have done counter/quick service, yeah I definitely wouldn’t even respond to that resume.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

If you’re applying for a full serving job and only have done counter/quick service, yeah I definitely wouldn’t even respond to that resume.

No. I'm applying for barback/bus jobs.

Gonna try some walk-ins at local places this week since the online apps at the chains aren't doing poo poo for me.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 14, 2020

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The other thing I'd say to keep in mind is that this time of year tends to be VERY applicant-heavy because of all the people that just got laid off from their seasonal jobs, so employers have the pick of the litter in most big markets. We've hired more people in the last twenty one days than we hired in the prior sixty because we've had a deluge of people that know what the gently caress they're doing and actually show up to the interview.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

That's a really good point actually. Could have had better timing.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I pretty much never hire someone as a barback outright from a resume; it’s either a recommendation from an employee or promoting from within from another position.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Naelyan posted:

Of the 86 weddings

Heard.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yeah, I chuckled when I got our final count for the year as well.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fuckin :laffo:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
In my head the razor clam was served on coarse sea salt and the guy was just eating the salt.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The actual post talks about how that is the only thing on the wall in Achatz's office, and serves as a constant reminder that nobody is infallible

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Achatz is the one in the wrong here. He had an ethical obligation to poison that guy; surely with his expertise he could have gotten away with it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Eh, I have mixed feelings about that. If the guy went there because it was Michelin starred and he'd been mislead as to what kind of restaurant it is, I don't think he's necessarily in the wrong. That said, it's Alinea, there really is no secret about what Achatz is doing, so I don't feel too bad for him either.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

No. I'm applying for barback/bus jobs.

Gonna try some walk-ins at local places this week since the online apps at the chains aren't doing poo poo for me.

Depending on the size of the city you’re in: just lie. (Also definitely apply in person)

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The actual post talks about how that is the only thing on the wall in Achatz's office, and serves as a constant reminder that nobody is infallible

Having met him, that’s definitely not the case. His ego and misogyny are very well known and he sucks.

E: and if you need to post something like that on your wall, you are absurdly lovely and thin skinned, invariably.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm going out on a limb and saying anyone who spends $3,000 on air-fair dollars and travels internationally for a single meal and then writes a letter to the chef to complain about it is a complete rear end in a top hat. And that anyone who achieves the level of fame that someone else might do that is also a complete rear end in a top hat.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
There are many famous chefs and restauranteurs that are great to work for. Unfortunately, that’s less that 2% of the “chefs” an average person can name.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

There are many famous chefs and restauranteurs that are great to work for. Unfortunately, that’s less that 2% of the “chefs” an average person can name.

The only chefs I know by name are the ones famous on television for being huge assholes (I suspect they're actually nicer in person than portrayed on television), and because I live in Seattle, Tom Douglas who just settled a lawsuit for 2.4 million dollars after being accused of stealing wages from his employees.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

So there's a fundraiser for the homeless/unemployed in my town (which is a big deal; I should know, I'm jobless and living in a rented room in the ghetto) which involves a chili cook-off. Being unemployed and living off stuff from our city's very excellent foodbank, I want to enter. Also, I really want to make chili.

Part of the entry is: give a name for your chili.

I task y'all with coming up with good names. Please do not derail with beans vs no beans, as there will be beans because as I said, I'm broke and beans add much needed protein and filler for 50c a can. And farts that startle my bf in the wee hours of the morning.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Add a couple teaspoons of baking soda to help the beans release gas before you fart it all out.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Red Pepper Hot Chili

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

JacquelineDempsey posted:

So there's a fundraiser for the homeless/unemployed in my town (which is a big deal; I should know, I'm jobless and living in a rented room in the ghetto) which involves a chili cook-off. Being unemployed and living off stuff from our city's very excellent foodbank, I want to enter. Also, I really want to make chili.

I task y'all with coming up with good names. Please do not derail with beans vs no beans, as there will be beans because as I said, I'm broke and beans add much needed protein and filler for 50c a can. And farts that startle my bf in the wee hours of the morning.

something like Arizona Ranger Big Iron chili, because it has beans and it's going to kill Texas Red.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Brute Squad posted:

it's going to kill Texas Red.

It's good on hotdogs at least.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Just named it "Mac" and let people think you're making chili mac for your entry.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Serve it with a spoon that you carved out of a bigger spoon

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm half tempted to name it "Scientastic Chili" because his "anything to get the taste out of your mouth" reply in that infamous GWS thread burned harder than my chili ever could. Plus, goon shibboleth, maybe I'll make a friend.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Shooting Blanks posted:

That said, it's Alinea, there really is no secret about what Achatz is doing, so I don't feel too bad for him either.
You'd think so, but my biggest gripe about my dinner at Alinea was that about 1/3 to 1/2 way through the meal they served a course of TWO WHOLE FISH just super rustic style with herbs and lemon. The servers were even warning us to only take a few bites because we would definitely fill up and not be able to enjoy the rest of our meal. Cool course guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A loving goddess

https://twitter.com/OregonProgress/status/1217565422716735494?s=19