Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

my problem was on windows btw

the only time the frame rate recovered with the tiny robot deployed is when the gamer control panel bullshit made a chime in my ears. after the chime stopped it went back to poo poo .

I regret not purchasing the nvidia only for that I would not be having this conversation as it should hopefully just have worked without noises , video RPM meters , or windows vs Linux debates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I don't know what my graphics card is but it's probably at least five years old and was midrange when new and every game I care about is playable at 4k so idk. just use whatever graphics card you want. it doesn't matter

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

I don't know what my graphics card is but it's probably at least five years old and was midrange when new and every game I care about is playable at 4k so idk. just use whatever graphics card you want. it doesn't matter

I have a gt 710 that disagrees with you. it’s slower than recent intel graphics.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Partycat posted:

my problem was on windows btw

the only time the frame rate recovered with the tiny robot deployed is when the gamer control panel bullshit made a chime in my ears. after the chime stopped it went back to poo poo .

I regret not purchasing the nvidia only for that I would not be having this conversation as it should hopefully just have worked without noises , video RPM meters , or windows vs Linux debates
install linux and play it there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

thicc

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

built a Ryzen 2700x machine and it’s been very needs suiting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

this is also what bill gates thinks but it’s coz he’s so out of touch with the real man (like yourself coz you’re so wealthy and studly) that your “mid range” card was some thx 7.1 overclocked card that you didn’t realise was only sold to people like yourself do khalid and the actor who plays super man

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The Nvidia Control Panel is pretty garbage (very slow and looks like it's from Windows 95), but how often do you need that - once to set up Gsync for me, and that's it.

infernal machines posted:

i guess that depends on your use of the term value. if you want mid range performance for slightly less than the cost of an equivalent nvidia card, at the expense of power and thermals, with terrible drivers, then yes, it's an excellent value

Except the 5700 and 5700 XT use less power than equivalent Nvidia cards and are significantly better value. And the drivers are fine.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 15, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Broken Machine posted:

i like the idea of using kernel mode graphics drivers from some random dev, this sounds exciting

as a random dev occasionally writing kernel drivers I find that's almost always the case

like a quarter of the time there's a kernel panic that only gets caught in testing

e: also my three most recent BSODs/kernel panics were from Surface peripherals and Apple AirPods, which have first-party drivers written by Microsoft and Apple respectively, so

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 15, 2020

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Lambert posted:

Except the 5700 and 5700 XT use less power than equivalent Nvidia cards and are significantly better value. And the drivers are fine.

Nah, the drivers were busted on launch and still have issues, they don't affect everyone but the complaints are valid.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lambert posted:

The Nvidia Control Panel is pretty garbage (very slow and looks like it's from Windows 95), but how often do you need that - once to set up Gsync for me, and that's it.

yeah, the 5700 is the one card that seems to actually be a better value, so long as you don't mind it being hotter than cards made 3+ years ago. since you basically can't use the rtx features on the 2060/2070 it's laregly irrelevant that it doesn't have anything comparable.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I’d rather rip threads than trace rays anyway

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

infernal machines posted:

yeah, the 5700 is the one card that seems to actually be a better value, so long as you don't mind it being hotter than cards made 3+ years ago. since you basically can't use the rtx features on the 2060/2070 it's laregly irrelevant that it doesn't have anything comparable.

5700 XT is a better buy than the 2060 Super as well, I'd say - almost 2070 S territory in performance at a cheaper price. Cooling is a non-issue, just get a Gigabyte or one of the better Powercolor cards. Don't buy the ones with terrible coolers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

weirdly, the 5700xt and the 2070 are priced almost the same here in canadar

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

graphics cards are cyclical

im gonna beat the trends and get a 9800 pro now

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The_Franz posted:

compute workloads

who uses opencl

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Lambert posted:

looks like it's from Windows 95

feature not bug

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Vomik posted:

I’d rather rip threads than trace rays anyway

what if you rip threads to trace rays?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Fabricated posted:

who uses opencl

Blender and since I do some 3D work as a freelance thing that is the only kind of compute I really need.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
intel dropped prices on xeons, which they never do. they’re scared.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
probably because of this: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-gen7-hit&num=1

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

surely igpu is entirely irrelevant on xeons no matter how much intel talks about opencl

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
of course, but it's just yet another thing that's been making them look bad

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

The Management posted:

(list, that is)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PCjr sidecar posted:

(list, that is)

you can bet big vendors are already squeezing them hard. the intel sales reps for amazon, Microsoft, and google must be getting daily phone calls from their buyers with “uh, we’ve been studying these amd numbers and engineering is telling me we need to rebalance our orders so what can you do for me?”

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The Management posted:

lol hope they're dropping them by 50% because that's the only way their high-density stuff is competitive with ryzen

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

you can bet big vendors are already squeezing them hard. the intel sales reps for amazon, Microsoft, and google must be getting daily phone calls from their buyers with “uh, we’ve been studying these amd numbers and engineering is telling me we need to rebalance our orders so what can you do for me?”

"well, our chips don't need 0-day microcode updates to fix the rdrand instruction, we actually test that they will boot the os your infrastructure uses and we upstream necessary fixes and patches months before rollout instead of after"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The_Franz posted:

"well, our chips don't need 0-day microcode updates to fix the rdrand instruction, we actually test that they will boot the os your infrastructure uses and we upstream necessary fixes and patches months before rollout instead of after"

instead they need mitigations for side channel attacks that significantly reduce performance

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think you mean Intel chips don’t GET 0-day code updates. they get them a month or two after the vulnerability is in the wild and the fix kills their performance.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

well yeah, gotta get through benchmarks for all the review websites first

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol hope they're dropping them by 50% because that's the only way their high-density stuff is competitive with ryzen

:ssh: for sufficient volume, 50% is low

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

The_Franz posted:

don’t need? or don’t get?

and they actually test. but do they pass?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

when does the next gen video cards come out anyway
will amd rip some threads on the gpu

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
the frameripper 420 is coming out any day now

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the vendors are probably more pissed about not getting product in time. we've had some new equipment backordered for *months* because intel is dragging rear end on delivering network cards or some poo poo

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

we ordered some boxes with epyc chips at work. gonna rip some threads real soon :rubs hands together:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the time when some intel had a buncha atom failures and had placed a seemingly total blackout on their customers from being able to say why those companies were replacing dead boxes, despite everyone wink wink understanding exactly what as happening, was weirdo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

my stepdads beer posted:

when does the next gen video cards come out anyway
will amd rip some threads on the gpu

they will almost assuredly not. their top end cards still haven’t caught up to the 1080ti, let alone the 2080ti or the probably coming soon 3080ti

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the vendors are probably more pissed about not getting product in time. we've had some new equipment backordered for *months* because intel is dragging rear end on delivering network cards or some poo poo

have they finally come up with linux drivers that aren't unstable dogshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

in december dell was back ordered until february on certain 10th gen core workstations

intel be fuckin up