Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I loving love going to new places, just seeing somewhere I've not been before is interesting and calming on an existential level to me, which makes being stuck in the same office in the same city living in the same house in the same commuter belt for several years kind of depressing. But the concept of integrating into a local community is still something I struggling with massively, so that's probably part of why I enjoy travelling around.

The catte tax is rinsing me this year, god drat:

This cat lives next door but will do absolutely anything to get in our house. I love her to bits.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean? "Manufactured distant exoticism"? It's just seems a way to say "I like having the narrow horizons of a 16th century peasant who only had the opportunity to travel when it came time to take livestock to market" while sounding like you've read a book. Is it manufactured local exoticism if I go to Inverness's piss poor excuse for a museum? What if I go to Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow, is that local or distant exoticism? How far do I have to travel before it counts as distant exoticism? Is local exoticism less depressing than distant exoticism and if so why? When does it become manufactured and when is it just a natural desire to explore? Or is the latter just not possible?

I dunno, maybe it's just because I don't travel, I haven't left this miserable loving hell of Britain since I was a teenager, over 21 years ago so it's about desiring what you don't have but at least I have the desire to do it. And no, the actual travelling part isn't actually very good (though I do like train travel. I find it intensely relaxing but that obviously assumes it's not a completely packed commuter train) it's about the destination.

I also haven't left the country since I was old enough to stay here by myself, and have been much happier for it. I don't want exoticism, I don't believe in it. Like it isn't a thing that exists, to me. I do not understand what it is that other people see when they go looking for it.

The sky is still the sky whether I'm here or somewhere else, the air is very similar, the grass is still green, the trees still grow out of the ground. I have some time to experience that and that suits me fine, and I am particularly glad that I don't feel a need for more than that, in much the same way I'm glad I don't smoke or drink.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I did wonder where all our "blitz spirit" went, but my hangover was kicking in by this point and I just wanted to sleep

Well the people who talk about blitz spirit the most are the people who were never in the blitz, so presumably having to stay in Michigan for X amount of time longer was the worst thing that ever happened to them.

OwlFancier posted:

I also haven't left the country since I was old enough to stay here by myself, and have been much happier for it. I don't want exoticism, I don't believe in it. Like it isn't a thing that exists, to me. I do not understand what it is that other people see when they go looking for it.

The sky is still the sky whether I'm here or somewhere else, the air is very similar, the grass is still green, the trees still grow out of the ground. I have some time to experience that and that suits me fine, and I am particularly glad that I don't feel a need for more than that, in much the same way I'm glad I don't smoke or drink.

I think if I ever met you I'd be bored to tears.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You all realise they say that when they like "travel" they're not literally saying "Oh poo poo I loving love flying and driving and generally just moving about", right? *Nobody* likes the actual travel bit (well apart from me and long train journeys), it's the stuff you actually do when you get to the place you're travelling to, which for some reason English has no word for that hasn't been appropriate for other uses.
That's okay, we can just steal someone else's words like normal.

Wanderlust, fernweh, sunlust, dromomania, or sehnsucht might work.

I enjoy long train journeys a lot more than buses or planes or cars. Even changing at Crewe.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
e: post is not edit

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

OwlFancier posted:

Do you have a slice of bread each night with a glass of water on the side for dipping too?

Long train journeys are fun. I used to really like long flights but ive grown out of that. Im starting to resent city breaks as i feel they are all the same mostly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Deleter posted:

I think if I ever met you I'd be bored to tears.

Fortunately for you I'm not employed as an entertainer.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I love travelling to new places(not airports, airports are horrible limbo places) but I wouldn't be particularly pushed about going to the moon. I'd rather go somewhere with new plants and animals to see and new foods to eat.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Fortunately for you I'm not employed as an entertainer.

Weird, you're doing a real good sad clown impression right now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

That's okay, we can just steal someone else's words like normal.

Wanderlust, fernweh, sunlust, dromomania, or sehnsucht might work.

I enjoy long train journeys a lot more than buses or planes or cars. Even changing at Crewe.

I think sehnsucht is the perfect word for my feelings about travel. It's almost more about an unrealistic & idealised version of the holiday abroad than the inevitably less perfect time you'd actually get.

Anyway, this popped up on Twitter & I changed my mind, people shouldn't be allowed to travel anywhere because they'll just do a poo poo at an ancient site.

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1217395766878199813?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I don't really see why it makes a difference to you whether I get bored or not. It makes a difference to me and as I said, I'm glad I by and large, simply don't. It's not a dependency I really want to acquire either. But if you do you can take what steps you need to rectify it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

travel is good, some people who travel are wankers, not enjoying travel is absolutely a-okay.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

jaete posted:

In latest Brexit news, the FT writes (paywall): Boris Johnson admits UK might not strike EU trade deal this year

"PM says only that 'epically likely' agreement with Brussels will be reached"

So Johnson is backtracking, even if slightly, from his earlier ironclad promises. Who could have seen this coming

EU's von der Leyen is saying that UK's market access to the EU will depend on how far UK is willing to go to guarantee a level playing field, i.e. if the UK wants more trade they need to sign up for more EU regulations.

EU is also saying that the UK won't get a deal unless they also give the EU access to UK fishing waters. Oh man this is going to (continue to) be such a shitshow

So current cunning plan.

1) Demand to have all the benefits of being in the EU, but with none of the drawbacks.
2) EU rejects this.
3) Throw a few inconsequential bits onto the table (Farmers and Fishermen first under the bus) but still demand the same.
4) Repeat until December 31st.
5) No Deal out, watch economy crash.
6) Blame it all on EU for their "Unwillingness to negotiate" continue cycle of blame.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Miftan posted:

Very few countries are as grey as the UK though. It's like the whole country is a black and white film sometimes.

I regret to inform the thread that I am so acclimated to this that whenever I do go anywhere that's bright and hot it feels fundamentally wrong and unreal, like an extended fever dream or being trapped inside a Hollywood movie.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I think sehnsucht is the perfect word for my feelings about travel. It's almost more about an unrealistic & idealised version of the holiday abroad than the inevitably less perfect time you'd actually get.
I think the best travel for me has been when there's been an event at the other end, whether that's going to see family overseas, or friends that have moved, or an exhibition or gig or academic thing in a city, or an historical marking like Peterloo or Tom Paine (e: the 18th century politics man, not this poster vvv).

I can see why travel purely for the sake of travel, like oh hey it me but I'm in Germany, might be unappealing to some, but that's far from the be all and end all of traveling, that's more a parody of travel by the sorts that 'do Croatia' on 'hollybobs'.

forkboy84 posted:

Anyway, this popped up on Twitter & I changed my mind, people shouldn't be allowed to travel anywhere because they'll just do a poo poo at an ancient site.

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1217395766878199813?s=20
EU Supergirl world tour going well.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 15, 2020

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The airport as it exists now is the perfect expression of globalised neoliberal ideology, a place where you are filtered past shop after shop selling overpriced luxuries you don't need on the way to a plane that will take you to what is, in essence, an indulgence to escape the stress of capital for a limited time via a fantasy created by capital, arriving at a destination airport identical to the one you left whether in Britain, South Africa, Brazil, or China.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

this is the gooniest chat

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I would like to be able to afford to travel to check out cool archaeological sites. (Used to visit the Roman baths and such around the UK when really young, and I was once able to visit Petra and Masada (I did the walk down from it!) at one point and it was amazing and something I would love to be able to do more of!)

Nowadays I am so broke so much of the time that it just cannot be done so I have to be content remembering those times I got to see old ruins and whatnot. I am not a fan of travelling somewhere just to relax - like a package holiday. I prefer to do that sort of thing at home.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I regret to inform the thread that I am so acclimated to this that whenever I do go anywhere that's bright and hot it feels fundamentally wrong and unreal, like an extended fever dream or being trapped inside a Hollywood movie.

Something I didn't notice til I lived abroad was a subtle pressure in the UK (well in my social group anyway) that you *must* go outside if it's a nice day. When living abroad in a country which had 360 days of warm, sunny weather a year, every day was a nice day but work had to be done so I had to force myself to get over that feeling that I *should* be outside all the time. (Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun - Noël Coward)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Miftan posted:

The coolest person in any Airport is one of the baggage handlers, no exceptions.

Yeah, they're so laid back at Heathrow that two years running they failed to transfer my case to my connecting flight to Düsseldorf. The first time it didn't arrive until the next day.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I say that about airports and I do mean it, I think there's a cool bit of research to do on the theme, but I still quite enjoy visiting new places, I'm just aware of how capitalism operates

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The last time I left the country was when I did a month backpacking in Europe ten years ago. I just want to spend a week going somewhere else doing something different :(

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jedit posted:

Yeah, they're so laid back at Heathrow that two years running they failed to transfer my case to my connecting flight to Düsseldorf. The first time it didn't arrive until the next day.

That can happen for a billion different reasons like the desk not marking your bag properly, the conveyor belt dropping it in the wrong place, connection times that are too short to to do the loading properly, or even security being dicks about your bag (also possible for a billion reasons), so you shouldn't jump to blaming the baggage handlers. They do definitely throw your bag around like a sack of potatoes though so don't keep anything that can break in there.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The best burger I have ever had in my life ever, was at Hamburg airport in a place called Cindy's Diner. I was there due to work and I just wanted something quick and easy and went for one of their hamburgers.

I have never, ever, in my life had a burger that tasted as good as that. The meat crumbled and disolved as I ate it and it was divine. This was 8 years ago and I still think about one day going back to see if it is as good as I remember it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I say that about airports and I do mean it, I think there's a cool bit of research to do on the theme, but I still quite enjoy visiting new places, I'm just aware of how capitalism operates
Airports aren't actually real, they're written by William S Burroughs. A bored man with an assault weapon stands idly next to a store selling only perfume and cigarettes, a businessman drinks hard liquor at 10am in a room that is only bars and bus station seating, there's a storm over Munich International, remove your shoes and proceed to gate C.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

VideoGames posted:

I would like to be able to afford to travel to check out cool archaeological sites. (Used to visit the Roman baths and such around the UK when really young, and I was once able to visit Petra and Masada (I did the walk down from it!) at one point and it was amazing and something I would love to be able to do more of!)

Nowadays I am so broke so much of the time that it just cannot be done so I have to be content remembering those times I got to see old ruins and whatnot. I am not a fan of travelling somewhere just to relax - like a package holiday. I prefer to do that sort of thing at home.

I loving hate that stupid Masada climb. I did it like 3-4 times in my life and it loses the novelty real fuckin' quick, especially if you do it at 4am.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I was stupid enough to follow the link at work tho

https://twitter.com/aidpsh/status/1217402730744033280?s=21

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Miftan posted:

I loving hate that stupid Masada climb. I did it like 3-4 times in my life and it loses the novelty real fuckin' quick, especially if you do it at 4am.

Haha I only did it the once and only the way down. I had to plead with my ex to do it because it looked like a lot of fun. I remember the feeling of reaching the bottom and it was a good one despite having drunk 3 or so litres of water :D

That is still one of my most favourite memories!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Going to the moon would be a terrifying nightmare, no thanks

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

So do Brexiteers think that Abdul in the flat down the road is just going to turn to dust Avengers style on the 31st?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Continuity RCP posted:

Going to the moon would be a terrifying nightmare, no thanks

It's alright, it's coming here in 16 days.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Ratjaculation posted:

So do Brexiteers think that Abdul in the flat down the road is just going to turn to dust Avengers style on the 31st?

Yeah him and his dad that came to the country like 50 years ago.

More likely it's Natasha down at the health center :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ratjaculation posted:

No. They just think that without the EU telling us no, Paki-bashing will be back on the menu on February 1st.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Who'd have thought travel chat would be the one thing to rip the thread in half, not wanting to travel outside the country hardly makes you a boring, racist xenophobe but that's pretty much what's being implied here.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You all realise they say that when they like "travel" they're not literally saying "Oh poo poo I loving love flying and driving and generally just moving about", right? *Nobody* likes the actual travel bit (well apart from me and long train journeys), it's the stuff you actually do when you get to the place you're travelling to, which for some reason English has no word for that hasn't been appropriate for other uses.

I’ve done a couple of road trips around the German/Austrian/Swiss alps which were fantastic, and the actual travelling is part of the experience so it becomes quite enjoyable for the most part.

It’s a gorgeous place to be, and if you stick to Germany relatively inexpensive to boot.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Wow, travel chat got weird.

I totally get being comfortable with your own company and fart smell and not particularly having a yearning to see what's out there. However, I find the dismissal of wanting to see other places and cultures (on what is fast becoming a last chance to see beautiful planet) as some sort of booj or capitalist/wasteful endeavour as pretty narrow minded. It's OK to like things, remember?

You can want to see places or poo poo, just want to enjoy some loving sunlight, and still acknowledge that package holidays to concrete hellholes by beaches that are little other than an "England, but hotter" theme park are poo poo.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Do village type people ever live in those scenic villages on tourist photos? Or is it all just tourist shops and airbnbs owned by corporations?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Grey Hunter posted:

So current cunning plan.

1) Demand to have all the benefits of being in the EU, but with none of the drawbacks.
2) EU rejects this.
3) Throw a few inconsequential bits onto the table (Farmers and Fishermen first under the bus) but still demand the same.
4) Repeat until December 31st.
5) No Deal out, watch economy crash.
6) Blame it all on EU for their "Unwillingness to negotiate" continue cycle of blame.
I think we leave without a deal on 31st of January, the deal he's talking about getting by the end of the year is the super good one the EU will give us once they realise how stronk britane is without them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Katt posted:

Do village type people ever live in those scenic villages on tourist photos? Or is it all just tourist shops and airbnbs owned by corporations?

My parents do. It's all chocolate box thatched cottages (except the ones that burned down). It's on the walking route that goes along the river Test, and about 5 miles from one of the most photographed private houses in Britain (on the same route, with a nice big village green in front of it so you can get the whole thing in shot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I’ve done a couple of road trips around the German/Austrian/Swiss alps which were fantastic, and the actual travelling is part of the experience so it becomes quite enjoyable for the most part.

It’s a gorgeous place to be, and if you stick to Germany relatively inexpensive to boot.

Yeah I was over-generalising to hide my own environmental shame of riding a loving gigantic Harley from LA to the Grand Canyon and then to Vegas, but you might as well have some pics of that:

Unaccountably none of these experiences, from seeing sunset at the Grand Canyon to seeing a rock that's called Big Thumb and definitely looks nothing at all like anything else, are available within my area.