Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What am I looking at

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

i think that’s a comparison someone posted a few months ago that’s like “blizzcon 2018 culling of stratholme preview VS what the game looks like currently”. but i’m just now noticing the 6-wide command card in the blizzcon preview. what’s the deal with that

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.

FoolyCharged posted:

Oh hey, they put the editor and customs in. Anyone seen if they did much with either of those?

All I know is they've been progressively adding data to the map file format but I have no idea what it's for.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

e: Nevermind looks like this was already asked!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

uniball posted:

but i’m just now noticing the 6-wide command card in the blizzcon preview. what’s the deal with that

Part of the updated UI, which was so hugely unpopular that when I mentioned that I hated it to the bluetags running the demo stations they were like "yyyyyyeah that's what everyone's said so far".

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Just played a game and when I selected group 2 full of riflemen my Paladin was also following the orders I was giving them despite being only in group1. :v:

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

clan towa does it again...this time winning a 6 hour and 12 minute mountaineer on Upper Kingdom!

here's the replay, here's the vid. there are chapter timestamps in the youtube description

the highlights:
  • (312:44 / All) Dobz: What is the pleasure of buying a game and being hours just looking at it?
  • they watched my stream from hour 2 to hour 5, when i turned it off to make secret preparations
  • at one point i forced a blunder on their part by turning off my stream's facecam to fake an afk
  • they posted a link from a malicious link shortener in my twitch chat and got iggy's home IP address, then ddos'd him out of the game
  • they continually threatened to keep iggy's home internet offline, at one point promising it'd be months
  • when iggy shittalked them via discord PMs they kept killing his home internet
  • they carefully hunted down almost every mechanical critter we made (only missed one)
  • they spent about 4 hours carefully probing our defenses, trying to do whatever damage they could
  • they thought that iggy's record (in the beta lol) would get a loss even if our team won
  • they claimed that my twitch account/vod of this game got mass reported by "around 30 ppl"
  • they claimed they'd "upload the game to replayers" and tell "saibot", a roc player who is supposedly now a "blizzard forums moderator"
  • we killed their heroes and won the game by telling the main enemy player to google "Bifocal reverse gilderbase" and then attacking when he was tabbed out

(he blocked me and deleted his messages after we won)

quote:

(120:26 / All) Timbx: i am upset

(310:26 / All) Dobz: just for you to know
(310:31 / All) Dobz: around 30 ppl reported your stream
(310:37 / All) Dobz: For user afk
(310:42 / All) Dobz: sorry about that

(317:31 / All) Dobz: at least one of you is not getting a win
(317:34 / All) Dobz: thats a win for us ^^
(317:38 / All) BEARAND: entire team gets win haha
(317:48 / All) Dobz: you will check afterwards ^^
(317:54 / All) Dobz: maybe next week
(318:00 / All) Dobz: when he gets connection again :D
(319:04 / All) Dobz: Being curious sometimes is not a good thing

(321:14 / All) Dobz: It seems you got more 5 reports on your last video
(321:20 / All) Dobz: upload it before is too late

(324:25 / All) Dobz: I will even upload it on replayers! ^^
(324:32 / All) BEARAND: nice
(324:32 / All) Dobz: That way ppl can spot you ^^
(324:44 / All) Dobz: Already showed saybot
(324:57 / All) Dobz: saibot*
(325:24 / All) BEARAND: is that some old pro?
(325:37 / All) Dobz: old pro that now is an assistant at blizzard
(325:43 / All) Dobz: also moderator on blizz foruns

(360:06 / All) Dobz: Did you try rush militias on this Warcraft?
(360:24 / All) BEARAND: google "Bifocal reverse gilderbase"
(360:26 / All) BEARAND: we invented
(360:39 / All) Dobz: Ok, give me a sec
(361:35 / All) Dobz: https://www.wcreplays.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99599&p=2187627&viewfull=1
(361:39 / All) Dobz: This one?
(363:21 / All) Dobz: thats not nice
(363:24 / All) Dobz: i was checking

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
never stop

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
If you are reading this post then Nunoh is a liar and a coward. Fight me IRL on the internet

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

uniball posted:

clan towa does it again...this time winning a 6 hour and 12 minute mountaineer on Upper Kingdom!

Having some real difficulty wrapping my head around this.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

I had to keep nagging him to turn his rent-a-DoS service back on, so in the end I think it was only about 20 minutes in total before he ran out of Monero or whatever.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lmao y'all are doing the lords work.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don’t want to play WC3 I just want to watch y’all do this again and again.

I mean, really, a reprisal in the form of a DDOS attack??? In TYOOL 2020?!?! OVER A WARCRAFT 3 STRATEGY??!

Y’all are truly, honestly, awesome people.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm speechless.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Holy poo poo, absolute kings the lot of you

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

they posted a link from a malicious link shortener in my twitch chat and got iggy's home IP address, then ddos'd him out of the game
they continually threatened to keep iggy's home internet offline, at one point promising it'd be months
when iggy shittalked them via discord PMs they kept killing his home internet

Extremely hardcore salt

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I really enjoy at about the hour and 40 min mark when one of you mentions they have a friend coming over in an hour and you all say "Oh well, I'm sure this will be settled by then."

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, to their credit that's not necessarily a lie. From what I understand most people call it quits before the game hits 3 hours.

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

that game was absolutely settled the moment they stopped attacking my expansion on bottom, probably before that point as well

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

the combination of no win record and Reforged being fully AT vs. RT means the vast majority of our opponents have extremely limited patience for our bullshit. our average gamelength on most maps in the beta mappool is around 30 minutes for gods sake. shameful

anyway iirc we weren't sure they were an Arranged Team until well into the post-perch-assault stage.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

man the lengths some people will go to to prove they're not being loving clowned on all levels

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" I continue to insist as I shrink and transform into a score screen.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

uniball posted:

the combination of no win record and Reforged being fully AT vs. RT means the vast majority of our opponents have extremely limited patience for our bullshit. our average gamelength on most maps in the beta mappool is around 30 minutes for gods sake. shameful

anyway iirc we weren't sure they were an Arranged Team until well into the post-perch-assault stage.

Hadn't heard about the combination of AT and RT. Is this for live as well as beta, or unknown? That seems like a pretty dumb idea, even if it would probably help with queue times.

Is it known if there is actually going to be a proper ladder with stats, like back in the day?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Sticko posted:

Hadn't heard about the combination of AT and RT. Is this for live as well as beta, or unknown? That seems like a pretty dumb idea, even if it would probably help with queue times.

Is it known if there is actually going to be a proper ladder with stats, like back in the day?

There's a proper ladder for War3 now, always has been, there's just nobody playing it.

I don't know if this real bad $30 remake is gonna make a player-base reappear.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I was hoping to get back into War3 with the release of the update so I definitely think there would at least be a small boost.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

Elephunk posted:

There's a proper ladder for War3 now, always has been, there's just nobody playing it.

I don't know if this real bad $30 remake is gonna make a player-base reappear.

Oh I know there is still is one for classic (and that noone plays it - I managed to push up to top couple of dozen by just going bloodlust tauren). I was just getting worried about the comment on no win records.

I kinda wish that they would bring fix the record and stat website that they had back in the day, but that is probably too much to ask for.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I wish I could get my old icons back!

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
There's win records and unlockable icons in reforged beta but they're getting reset at release so they matter even less than normal.
There doesn't seem to be any ELO matchmaking, it just puts you in a game against anybody, which makes the AT vs RT thing dumb, but if they add that I think it will work very well.
The only reason I stopped playing WC3 is because the AT playerbase totally dried up, in 2018 there were <10 3v3 AT games being served per week, and absolutely no 4v4 AT games happening at all no matter how long you searched.
Being able to match vs RT is better than nothing and honestly at high levels RT players are better than most people give them credit for. Reforged also lets you search in the 4v4 queue as a 2s AT team (which will put you on a 4s team with 2 randoms) which is an exciting new game type that's already delivered some great games for us.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elephunk posted:

Serious mansplainy post here

They said "like back in the day" so clearly they know a ladder already exists. They're asking about the remake, duh.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
With Starcraft II's release in 2010, Blizzard decided that matching AT vs RT was ok, so long as they compensated for it by making AT teams have a big adjusted MMR (match making rating) advantage relative to an RT team made up of players of the same individual MMR. This meant that an identical mid diamond AT team would be expected to maul an identical mid diamond RT team, but the RT team would gain more points and MMR if they won. Of course this system was ruthlessly exploitable and I did so for years. Eventually it was fixed so that going 5-0 in placements would almost never place your AT directly into master league, but you can still exploit the poo poo out of it by doing repeated placements with good players to rack up wins for XP and portraits. An especially infamous player named PROTOTYPE had a number of 'Bronze league' friends he'd partner up with to do 3v3 team games, who were in fact master/diamond in skill. I ran into him a few times, usually losing because unless I was in an AT, his exploitation meant whoever my non-party ally was sucked.

Oh that's another thing, you can still search 4v4 with a party of 3 in Sc2 and it counts toward your individual RT rank, not AT. It's very beneficial and became a standard thing to do at master league level.

There's probably little to no ranking system in the beta, so the game has little data to work with knowing how much advantage to assign AT vs RT.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Flayer posted:

I wish I could get my old icons back!

I unlocked the Rifleman several times, the Sorceress, Huntress and Headhunters once. I tried really hard to keep logging in once a month 2005-2006 to keep all my unlocks, but eventually messed up like everyone. I still swear one of my account wipes happened after only like 2.5 months instead of 3 like they said :argh:

The thing about AT vs RT is, even if they make a really big MMR disadvantage for the AT team, it's still at worst a double edged sword for good players. It can cut against them if their teamwork is subpar, but cut for them if they're well practiced and organized together. Teamwork and planning ability is a huge X factor the system can't prepare for. It gives the best players another tool to potentially get even further ahead. But I think it's probably for the better overall, as it cut match search times down in SC2. Back in 2014, Heart of the Swarm 2v2 AT vs RT was so common that most players in my 2v2 RT Diamond division were underwater with significantly more losses than wins. I was too, like 15-17, 19-20, the very game I equalized 25-25 was what promoted me to Master. Until that moment I'd thought I was underperforming, but the promotion proved it was just the AT vs RT dynamic. Since the system sounds similar, I bet that sorta thing could happen again in Reforged.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

I don't give a rat's butt for 1 second about my record or MMR or icon loot boxes, as long as the system
  • always finds team games for me and my friends to play
  • eventually compensates whatever it needs to compensate to make those games competitive affairs

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
I wonder what the deal is with Reforged. The Starcraft remaster was pretty solid, and the additions they made (art instead of just text on the screen between missions) were pretty cool. Everything looks about what you'd expect from such an undertaking except maybe the Hydralisk Den. Meanwhile, Reforged seems like they bit off way more than they could chew - redone voice acting, redone in-game cutscenes, redone lore, new campaign maps, new UI! That's on top of just updating every single model and graphic in the game, which is obviously a much bigger undertaking for Warcraft 3 than Starcraft. Especially when they said they were updating all the repeat models and such (which is a really cool feature.)

But not only is Reforged late, it seems like they've dropped a lot of the things they claimed to be working on. For better or worse, there won't be any new voice acting, the in-game cutscenes will be as they were in Warcraft 3, the story won't be changed, and it's unclear if the maps will be altered at all.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 17, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Horizon Burning posted:

But not only is Reforged late, it seems like they've dropped a lot of the things they claimed to be working on. For better or worse, there won't be any new voice acting, the in-game cutscenes will be as they were in Warcraft 3, the story won't be changed, and it's unclear if the maps will be altered at all.

Every one of those concessions is for the better, and I can only hope it's because someone in Blizzard has some sense.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Every one of those concessions is for the better, and I can only hope it's because someone in Blizzard has some sense.

Oh, definitely. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't particularly interested in any of that as I haven't paid any attention to Warcraft since Frozen Throne wrapped up, but it just seems very strange to advertise that sort of thing, take pre-orders on it, have the Stratholm demo... and then drop it all. I would've liked it just to see what would've been different.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Almost all of the things that Reforged dropped weren't because of time constraints, it was because of the massive backlash to them changing. The only reason the art style remained instead of going back to a more cartoony/WoW aesthetic was because Blizzard already made the vast majority of models and couldn't shoulder the cost of refactoring them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah but you just know its Activision pressuring them to deliver something so they have a skeleton crew working on remastered

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I wonder if they fully realized how many models and doodads they would need HR remasters for beyond the models used in actual melee games. There are a lot of unique units in the campagins that don't appear in ladder matches, and when you're already crunched on time and budget, I can't imagine wanting to spend much on units that appear for about three minutes on one Kael'thas map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Anyone got the discord link for those playing WC3 right now? I am in it and got another goon playing but can't create him an invite.