Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Katt posted:

Do village type people ever live in those scenic villages on tourist photos? Or is it all just tourist shops and airbnbs owned by corporations?

Yes? I mean, the way you asked this, that's the only possible answer? You can jab your finger at a map of France for example, find the nearest village type place and go and steep yourself in somewhere totally different and see no more, possibly less capitalist invasion than anywhere else.

There's arguments of means obviously, going somewhere "just because" has a fair bit of privilege attached. I'm just advocating for people that want to go see bits of the planet for little other reason than they haven't yet.

e: ffs

On this day in 1535 Henry VIII declared himself head of the Church in England. Exactly 24 years later, Elizabeth was crowned Queen.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The Deleter posted:

If anyone here has posted about enjoying airports then please point them out because I'm loving baffled as to how people drew that point out

This entire discussion has been a series of escalating bizarre arguments. Let people just enjoy things

E: Although I absolutely acknowledge that we need to balance our good time against the environmental impact

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I regret to inform the thread that I am so acclimated to this that whenever I do go anywhere that's bright and hot it feels fundamentally wrong and unreal, like an extended fever dream or being trapped inside a Hollywood movie.

And people are nice. The first time I traveled I was shocked to find that being a bitter sarcastic twat wasn't the default human condition

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 15, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Katt posted:

Do village type people ever live in those scenic villages on tourist photos? Or is it all just tourist shops and airbnbs owned by corporations?
I live in a mill town where all the mills are flats and all the fields are detached modern housing estates, but it's a 30 minute walk from some nice scenic villages.

thespaceinvader posted:

the river Test
:effort:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Pilchenstein posted:

I think we leave without a deal on 31st of January, the deal he's talking about getting by the end of the year is the super good one the EU will give us once they realise how stronk britane is without them.

We still have the "Transition period" to go, in which nothing really changes, but we can actually start negotiating trade deals. So we're not really out until the end of the year.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Judge Tesla posted:

Who'd have thought travel chat would be the one thing to rip the thread in half, not wanting to travel outside the country hardly makes you a boring, racist xenophobe but that's pretty much what's being implied here.

That's capitalism for ya.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

thespaceinvader posted:

My parents do. It's all chocolate box thatched cottages (except the ones that burned down). It's on the walking route that goes along the river Test, and about 5 miles from one of the most photographed private houses in Britain (on the same route, with a nice big village green in front of it so you can get the whole thing in shot).

I was thinking of places like these.

Do they have regular people? Carpenters, plumbers, retired couples with their adult son working a minimum wage job in town etc.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I have to admit I've been highly privileged to have travelled quite a bit in the past, it's something I'm not so able to do much of now but it was personally very cathartic and just engaging with other people and cultures aware from my own helped me round my world views - hopefully for the better. I know it's not something everyone gets to do.

Besides how else would I have been able to meet this incredible crab:

TRIXNET fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 15, 2020

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Katt posted:

Do they have regular people? Carpenters, plumbers, retired couples with their adult son working a minimum wage job in town etc.

Similar to the UK's scenic villages such as St Ives, I imagine its largely older people who've not left and out of towners second homes/AirBnBs.

Most of the work force commute in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Katt posted:

Depends on the culture.

In rural France they will probably have two cafes, a baker who is asleep in the afternoon and a shopkeeper who runs a bar in the back and smokes indoors even though that's been banned for like a decade.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Best thing about airports and travel is that you have lots of time to listen to the latest Podcasting is Praxis episodes!

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1217343929122770946?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Junior G-man posted:

the hellworld timeline.
I wonder what's happening in 2020 in the timeline where Remain won by 51.9%

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

CoolCab posted:

the experience of actual travel - airports, train stations, planes, trains and most of all busses - is adequately lovely it puts me off the magic of seeing things, is my point.

road trips I kind of enjoy but then I don't drive, so it doesn't come up much.

Ever tried driving across Europe, like say to Greece or something? Because I guarantee you it gets pretty poo poo once you get past 36 hours or so. Endless motels are far worse than the comparatively minor annoyance of airports. Which honestly aren't too bad as long as you don't buy too much crap there.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Some people travel by motorcycle in order to travel, and there are classic car rallies too. Not everyone's miserable in transit.

That said if you hate driving and hate airports may I evangelise for trains for a moment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
'Miserable in transit' is the natural state of the white van man.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Guavanaut posted:

2nd ref peoples final say lol

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Katt posted:

I'm 99% sure that place (Manarola) was the inspiration for the Sapienza level in Hitman 2.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Azza Bamboo posted:

That said if you hate driving and hate airports may I evangelise for trains for a moment.

Train travel is A* awesome - I switched a lot of my flying for trains; I can still work from those and it's just nice to watch the world pass by.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Guavanaut posted:

Cameron's still in charge and getting ready to face Corbyn in the a General election.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

Cameron's still in charge and getting ready to face Corbyn in the a General election.

Cameron said he was going to step down before the next election, so it’s probably George Osborne or somebody.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Private Speech posted:

Ever tried driving across Europe, like say to Greece or something? Because I guarantee you it gets pretty poo poo once you get past 36 hours or so. Endless motels are far worse than the comparatively minor annoyance of airports. Which honestly aren't too bad as long as you don't buy too much crap there.

no, my experience is Canada and quite a bit farther than that, but we'd usually stay with family or sleep on ferry or similar. I was a kid at the time tbf

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Driving around Europe can be fun. Except for Germany because the autobahn is just the same rows of plank walls with tree canopies hour after hour. At least Denmark breaks the monotony with the occasional farm.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Grey Hunter posted:

Comrade Fakename posted:

Cameron said he was going to step down before the next election, so it’s probably George Osborne or somebody.
That would've been a great thing to see. I assume the Remain/Leave map would still look pretty similar by constituency, Osborne would still be running as a pro-EU neolib against the howling of his backbenchers, and Corbyn a bit Euroskeptic but with a "the people voted to stay in, but the Leave vote across the North shows that people want a change away from London" line (against the howling of his backbenchers). Michael Gove would return to the hadopelagic zone.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

CoolCab posted:

no, my experience is Canada and quite a bit farther than that, but we'd usually stay with family or sleep on ferry or similar. I was a kid at the time tbf

That's a lot of family to stay with! But fair enough, probably doesn't help I get carsick. Still, the longest flights I've been on were about 23 hours including layovers and you get to watch films on those plane as well. Can't imagine driving even half that distance in one go, ever.

I can maybe see the appeal if the trip is the whole point and you visit a bunch of places on the way, but sitting in a cramped car for days on end just to get to another place isn't much fun to me.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 15, 2020

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I am really enjoying the bright sunshine after the last few days. It's really noticeable how it can lift your mood.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Katt posted:

Driving around Europe can be fun. Except for Germany because the autobahn is just the same rows of plank walls with tree canopies hour after hour. At least Denmark breaks the monotony with the occasional farm.

I drove through Germany once and I agree, I drove into Denmark by mistake because I missed a turn.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

My barriers to travelling all over the world are a severe lack of money (the government doesn't provide an unemployed crazy person much money to do anything interesting) and my mental health issues, which give me severe anxiety about a lot of things to do with travel and holidays. I have wanted to see Iceland (you know perfectly well I mean the country and not the supermarket) for a long time, but I don't realistically see it happening, so it is difficult to see people talking as if travel to exotic places is necessary for everyone.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

On travel: I have always loved the parts of it that other people hate, like flying in planes, waiting in airports, travelling by coach. Someone said it's about the destination, not the journey, but for me it's the opposite. The tourist destinations never really impress me much: I went to Greece and was much less impressed by the Acropolis than by the dodgy backstreet area of Athens we were staying in. That and looking out at the Greek mountains over a stormy bay - those things are really impressive. I've never been to the Highlands but I imagine you'd need to go up there to get a similar view in the UK.

Meeting people with a different perspective and seeing how they live their lives in a different way to the UK has always been the interesting part to me. The overall feel of a space and a country and culture is just different in interesting ways to the UK, as in you can sense the subtle differences in people's perception of the world made tangible.

To be honest, a big part of why I'm leaving the UK is that my experience of this country has been overwhelmingly grey, dreary, and nihilistic relative to most other countries.

That said, staying put in one place allows you to connect with the people and places around you and find subtle differences between them, which is just as much a form of exploration as any wild journey across the earth. When I had the opportunity to be part of a community I enjoyed in London I felt there was a lot to discover too, but in a more psychogeographic sense.

As above, so below, the local and the global are two sides of the same thing, like the self and the universe.

E: Until recently I didn't have the money to travel but it seems interesting that when I did the first thing I did was get the hell out of the UK.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jollity Farm posted:

My barriers to travelling all over the world are a severe lack of money (the government doesn't provide an unemployed crazy person much money to do anything interesting) and my mental health issues, which give me severe anxiety about a lot of things to do with travel and holidays. I have wanted to see Iceland (you know perfectly well I mean the country and not the supermarket) for a long time, but I don't realistically see it happening, so it is difficult to see people talking as if travel to exotic places is necessary for everyone.
Not being able to travel outside the country for financial or health reasons is perfectly understandable, not wanting to take a giant airplane to the other side of the world for environmental reasons is also understandable.

I think where everyone is getting their wires crossed is the difference between that and an attitude of believing there's nothing outside of this island worth seeing. At least there's some stuff that you want to see there.

It's not really about exotic places either, there's a lot of little museums and architecture and stuff that's worth seeing if you can, both at home and further away.

e:

Purple Prince posted:

Meeting people with a different perspective and seeing how they live their lives in a different way to the UK has always been the interesting part to me. The overall feel of a space and a country and culture is just different in interesting ways to the UK, as in you can sense the subtle differences in people's perception of the world made tangible.
That too.

Nikolaus von Falkenhorst, 1940 posted:

I drove into Denmark by mistake because I missed a turn.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

They have different tasting food other places it nice to go and eat it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Narborough Road in Leicester has a ton of world food (more than any other single street in Europe I think) thanks to all them immigrants.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
here's a travelogue for you guys hope u like it

preface: in sweden and neighboring countries, the public has rights to access, wander about, camp and forage on public and privately held land. this doesn't include planted fields or buildings, but lakes, forests, stuff like that.

I'm a loner weirdo and the only thing that can force me to leave my apartment is the desperate need of even more solitude. So what I do is I check out weird places that look weird, and then go to them--like, something that's within walking distance or within an hour's drive or something like that, depending on how much time I have to waste.So, I sometimes waste time on google maps, looking at the satellite shots and how they compare to the map of the same area, like, looking for things that might be cool. anyway I see something like this,

which, after an hour or so of not-quite-trails through the forest, nets me this:

my very own little cliffside, so flat and near the water I could lie down comfortably while splashing about with my feet. I spent the entire day there, reading some e-books and swimming about naked and mourning the end of summer

I noticed a couple other photos from last year. I take very few, and I suck at it pretty badly so i won't mind that u scroll past

ruins of an old water mill, north of stockholm. somebody left the water on

north of Umeå somewhere. Ruins of building of some sort? the lake is turning into a luxurious mire of mixed grasses and mosquito eggs, they probably had great view a decade ago

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Purple Prince posted:

On travel: I have always loved the parts of it that other people hate, like flying in planes, waiting in airports, travelling by coach. Someone said it's about the destination, not the journey, but for me it's the opposite. The tourist destinations never really impress me much: I went to Greece and was much less impressed by the Acropolis than by the dodgy backstreet area of Athens we were staying in. That and looking out at the Greek mountains over a stormy bay - those things are really impressive. I've never been to the Highlands but I imagine you'd need to go up there to get a similar view in the UK.

To be honest, a big part of why I'm leaving the UK is that my experience of this country has been overwhelmingly grey, dreary, and nihilistic relative to most other countries.

That said, staying put in one place allows you to connect with the people and places around you and find subtle differences between them, which is just as much a form of exploration as any wild journey across the earth. When I had the opportunity to be part of a community I enjoyed in London I felt there was a lot to discover too, but in a more psychogeographic sense.

As above, so below, the local and the global are two sides of the same thing, like the self and the universe.

E: Until recently I didn't have the money to travel but it seems interesting that when I did the first thing I did was get the hell out of the UK.

This is everything I failed to put into words :allears:

I really wish I was still able to travel. I think the thing that really drove me to get out of this country was that I was a baby queer, uncertain of where I fit in the world. Going to a new place just holds such potential of finding a new you, the real you. That wasn't something I thought I could do in a sleepy Welsh village

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

my very own little cliffside, so flat and near the water I could lie down comfortably while splashing about with my feet. I spent the entire day there, reading some e-books and swimming about naked

Most of the anti-foreign-travel posters here seem to do quite a lot of exploring the local countryside. I wonder which thing comes first.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I travel a lot for conferences, and in that regard airports start to get dull very quickly. The bullshit they've done recently where you have to snake your way through a deliberately elongated duty free pisses me off, the prices are steep for food and drinks, and there's almost never somewhere comfortable or with a peaceful enough atmosphere to sit and get some work done.

That said I still enjoy going to new places and usually try to book a weekend before or after the conf to explore whatever place I've ended up in. It's nice because you're at the mercy of wherever the conference is being held, so I've ended up places I wouldn't have originally intended to go if I was travelling myself.

I really enjoy solitary travel, be it by train or on a bicycle. I had a conference 400km away once so I took a 3 day cycle trip to get there over the swiss alps, and took the train back. It was lovely. On a bike you are travelling at a pace slow enough to appreciate the scenery but fast enough that it's not monotonous, and burning all that energy gives you a good excuse to sample plenty of the local cuisine when you get there.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Going abroad can also make you appreciate home more. I've lived in Singapore the past 6 months and it's made me appreciate the UK and our culture much more, and more certain to stay here, in comparison to how dreary and soulless Singapore is. And as much as people can enjoy the local countryside, going to foreign places and tropical isles gives me a opportunity to experience the wonder of places I'd never see in the UK. Travelling itself is a nightmare (especially travelling back from places, that is the worse) and walking through all these luxury shops in airports and seeing their extortionate prices sparks hatred in me.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I used to have an ambition/goal of visiting one new country (loosely defined by FIFA membership so I could count constituent parts of the UK) each year, and had made it to I think 24 by the time I was 25.

Then I had a kid, and now five years later I don't even have a current passport.

The UK is pretty nice, but there are definitely things that are worth travelling for as well. I doubt I'll ever catch my one per year, but there are places I want to go when time and money are more available. I'll even go back to some places I've already been, to show the family!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

And people are nice. The first time I traveled I was shocked to find that being a bitter sarcastic twat wasn't the default human condition
As someone who's a bit weird, my theory is that people from other countries all seem really nice because they expect foreigners to be a bit weird, so they just kind of accept it and are cool and chill. Meeting British people abroad they always seem like massive twats.
That SMG looks stupid and the HUD is useless

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

The guy who ran the bar next to the apartment I stayed at in Rome always looked at me funny whenever I interacted with him, but then again Rome is a tourist destination and I only knew enough Italian to order three Peronis and be polite about it. I presume he just had the standard universal hatred of the British tourist.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

here's a travelogue for you guys hope u like it

preface: in sweden and neighboring countries, the public has rights to access, wander about, camp and forage on public and privately held land. this doesn't include planted fields or buildings, but lakes, forests, stuff like that.

I'm a loner weirdo and the only thing that can force me to leave my apartment is the desperate need of even more solitude. So what I do is I check out weird places that look weird, and then go to them-

Great post, I'm very similar in my travel habits. I just love to get as far away from civilisation as I can and enjoy the serenity and isolation of nature, I'm working up the courage (and, OF COURSE, money) to get further afield but I do share the concerns of long distance travel mentioned in the discussion. I sure loving wish England had similar wandering, camping and foraging rights to Sweden and co! Scotland is pretty good on that front but it's still a long loving trip for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Labour muslim network has asked leadership candidates to sign up to 10 pledges. RLB has signed up and queue several hundred comments going on about muslim grooming gangs.

https://twitter.com/RLong_Bailey/status/1217421215415111680?s=20

Am I right in remembering that tory party candidates in the General Election were banned from signing up to any pledges by anyone?
That is the approach labour leadership candidates should have taken when the BoD presented their list. Labour is an anti-racist, pro-equality party and that should be sufficient.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 15, 2020