Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Third World Reagan posted:

It is routine in my games where once chaos goes, they lose their defenders of good people relations and one small fight between any of the small guys shatters alliances.
Who are the Warhammer equivalents of Austria-Hungary and Serbia, with one war declaration triggering a world war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
literally vampire counts in location

any minor faction if still alive in game

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The New World Colonies and an inexplicably still-alive Marienburg

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Enigma posted:

Congrats!

I am incapable of playing a campaign for more than an hour or two before starting a new one.

Thanks!

Really, the clincher is the 8 major capital minimum. Really forces you to make allies/vassals, which can be very difficult depending on faction. I would've taken longer than 100 turns, even with Skryre's generous objectives, if I hadn't vassalized the Greenskins since they inevitably got their asses kicked after pissing everyone off.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Enigma posted:

Congrats!

I am incapable of playing a campaign for more than an hour or two before starting a new one.

:same:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm surprised people are getting super late with the vampire counts and having trouble breaking out of sylvania, you should be able to drown the world in skeletons while your lords destroy any real threats and just never stop expanding from the word go.

Try having a Necromancer lord at home with enough experience for all the relevant recruitment related perks in a province with all the +experience recruitment buildings you can stick together and have him recruit skeletons every turn for eternity before handing them off to a fresh vampire to head to the frontlines or rebellions.

Raise some elite units into your skeleton armies to spice things up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does anyone play with the tabletop caps mod? It feels good for making stacks more interesting but it also seems like factions that get above-average core units would dominate

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Does anyone play with the tabletop caps mod? It feels good for making stacks more interesting but it also seems like factions that get above-average core units would dominate

I use it with Lucky's, yes, and I use SFO's built-in unit caps as well. Yeah, factions like the Dwarfs get a substantial edge in early game, but I think the trade-off is worth it in order to avoid the trudgery of lategame stacks of endless undead large monsters, Necrofex Colossi spam, and just general elite unit spam.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah thats my big concern. Tried another unit cap mod and as Huntsmarshall Expedition a tier 3 barracks could support a single unit of Huntsmen for instance. It'd be a nightmare versus a Primeval Glory stack.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

This hasn't been an issue yet with no major overhauls. Like 10 graveguard seems like it is strong, or 10 empire greatswords, but everyone has a way around it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

This hasn't been an issue yet with no major overhauls. Like 10 graveguard seems like it is strong, or 10 empire greatswords, but everyone has a way around it.

I don’t and never will use a unit cap mod because I value my FREEDOM too highly, but I just fought a skrolk army that was entirely globadiers and mortars and then a teclis army that was more than half flame Phoenix and sun dragons. Greatswords and grave guard are the least of my dang worries.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The only thing I've really seen is dark elf dominance with tabletop caps. Which I'm not sure if that's the mod or just the endless love dark elves get constantly. Granted I don't play ME much but on vortex the dwarves never amount to much.

Though speaking of ME what would be a cool spot to teleport Alith Anar or Alarielle for an interesting campaign?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

yikes! posted:

I don’t and never will use a unit cap mod because I value my FREEDOM too highly, but I just fought a skrolk army that was entirely globadiers and mortars and then a teclis army that was more than half flame Phoenix and sun dragons. Greatswords and grave guard are the least of my dang worries.

That is why I started to use it. I saw too many dragon stacks and said this is dumb as hell.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

That is why I started to use it. I saw too many dragon stacks and said this is dumb as hell.

It also makes the handful of dragons you have per army actually matter a lot more.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Having to choose between good tier or ok tier cav and flying units really helps.

I loving love eagles and manticores now.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I've not had success with eagles, but I did just find a mod that tries to improve them by splitting the stats in 5 and making Great Eagles a 5 unit squad. I'm eager to see if that makes them any better. I certainly have gained an appreciation for the various dragon types. Like you can have one Star Dragon or two Moons. Suddenly there's a reason to care about Moons! (Poor Sun's are still kinda middling, as a shock focused single entity.)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Unit cap mods definitely help balance late game AI stacks. You see a lot of 8x T3 infantry, a few ranged, a few cav, and some artillery. Factions that only have 1 settlement or province will also be much more restricted and it is extremely satisfying to go all World War Z on 3 armies worth of ten thousand zombies

(at some point there are so many goddamn models on the map the game can't render any more, so additional units slowly trickle in as existing ones are getting killed off)

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I like the cost-based caps mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1723390103

The game is already sorta balanced for cost-based limits thanks to multiplayer and you avoid the mentioned issue of factions with strong core units dominating, since those better core units also have a higher price tag.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I prefer factionwide limits. Per-army caps get in the way of fun, gimmick armies.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Krazyface posted:

The New World Colonies and an inexplicably still-alive Marienburg

I had an empire campaign where Marienburg made it with their one city all of the way to the chaos invasion. I lightning striked down all of the chaos armies when they besieged Marienburg. The declared war on me like two turns later. I had wanted that city for 150 turns or more.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Recent campaign has led me to produce this 100% official list of Vampire Counts ranked:

1. Isabella as faction leader
2. Vlad
3. Vlad and Isabella
4. Kemmler
5. Red Duke
6. Lahmians and Blood Dragons
7 - ???. All others incl. Ghorst
??? +1. Mannchild

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Mannfred might be a little wiener, but he's objectively one of the strongest lords in the game. I'm actually kind of baffled nobody else ever got dual lores - most of the "master of magic" characters ended up getting mishmash single lore trees instead.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
I’m sorry did you misread the list

Take another look

Edit: yeah he’s a monster but he’s such a knob. I expect the fact he’s the only dual lore caster is because of skill point restrictions and the fact it’s harder to see at a glance which spells are off cool down

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How are ghorst and kemmler nowadays? I remember caster lords were underpowered as gently caress in Warhammer 1

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm surprised people are getting super late with the vampire counts and having trouble breaking out of sylvania, you should be able to drown the world in skeletons while your lords destroy any real threats and just never stop expanding from the word go.

Try having a Necromancer lord at home with enough experience for all the relevant recruitment related perks in a province with all the +experience recruitment buildings you can stick together and have him recruit skeletons every turn for eternity before handing them off to a fresh vampire to head to the frontlines or rebellions.

Raise some elite units into your skeleton armies to spice things up.
What difficulty are you suggesting we do this on? I've been playing on VH because it means the AI actually builds armies and sends them outside of settlements, unlike Normal and most factions on Hard. In any of my VCount games on VH (I've played as each of the three starting points now) has been, unsurprisingly, very difficult because despite having free upkeep Skeletons, extra lords are costly and the VCount economy pretty weak, so for example on turn ~65 with Kemmler I could only afford a second lord who had ~15 Skeletons, an 18 upkeep Necromancer, a Wight King, a unit of dogs, a unit of cav, and a unit of something else mid-tier. Kemmler's army was still 50% free upkeep skelly bois, too. I died when Empire and Brettonia tag-teamed me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Jarvisi posted:

How are ghorst and kemmler nowadays? I remember caster lords were underpowered as gently caress in Warhammer 1

Kemmler is fine. He's a strong lore of vampires caster, Krell is a good summon, and his unique faction whips rear end.

Ghorst is still the shittiest VC lord, but he's gotten buffed a lot so he's actually perfectly solid. I'd still probably rather have a bloodline vampire than him leading a frontline army(mostly because bloodline vampires are insane), but he's not remotely as bad as he used to be, and he's got some really good strategic skills(huge bonus to necromancer recruit ranks and research rate, hell yeah).

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I started a Kemmler campaign and got real lucky. Mousilon got destroyed on turn 10, and I chose to accept the refugees (not sure if that's a new base feature, or something from Lucky's) and got The Red Duke as a Lord. So now on turn 20, I've got a second army led by Duke on a zombie dragon.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Devorum posted:

I started a Kemmler campaign and got real lucky. Mousilon got destroyed on turn 10, and I chose to accept the refugees (not sure if that's a new base feature, or something from Lucky's) and got The Red Duke as a Lord. So now on turn 20, I've got a second army led by Duke on a zombie dragon.
Thats a mod.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Panfilo posted:

I developed a funny strategy/gimmick as Aranessa. Right from the start, you immediately sack Lucini or whatever it's called. Go into encamp stance to heal, then do it again, and again...and again. After a few times you'll only get like 95g from this but builds exp, wrecks their public order, and more importantly seems to give a massive boost to diplomacy with everyone at war with Tilea. By turn 10 I had military alliances with Skryre and Beastmen.

Eventually Tilea will send an army to stop you, but by then you'll have built up a good amount of momentum and can just raise dead reinforcements to crush them.
In my campaign Beastmen razed the little settlement and I eventually colonized the ruins so that skaven couldn't steal them. Miragliano got wrecked by a chaos rebellion. I know a lot of people don't want to get bogged down by land holdings but you can establish a nice base of operations and go from there, with skaven and brayherds wandering around sniping out any death stack that might threaten undefended settlements.

Thank you for this. I'm playing Saltspite with SFO and it's taken me forever to get enough of a ball rolling to take Miragliano without two full stacks. I figure Sartosa/Tilea is enough of a coastline to support my fleets!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What difficulty are you suggesting we do this on? I've been playing on VH because it means the AI actually builds armies and sends them outside of settlements, unlike Normal and most factions on Hard. In any of my VCount games on VH (I've played as each of the three starting points now) has been, unsurprisingly, very difficult because despite having free upkeep Skeletons, extra lords are costly and the VCount economy pretty weak, so for example on turn ~65 with Kemmler I could only afford a second lord who had ~15 Skeletons, an 18 upkeep Necromancer, a Wight King, a unit of dogs, a unit of cav, and a unit of something else mid-tier. Kemmler's army was still 50% free upkeep skelly bois, too. I died when Empire and Brettonia tag-teamed me.

I don't play below very hard/legendary, you want to use sacking and rebellion fight gold to fund your armies, don't worry about going into negative income so long as you have enough fights to give you a buffer of money to stay above 0, then when your large territory is slowly getting more corrupted and built up with income buildings and walls you can start having the rebellion quelling armies spread out to the frontiers.

If your -2000 per turn but getting 10k from sacking cities and rebellions every couple turns you'll be fine.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't play below very hard/legendary, you want to use sacking and rebellion fight gold to fund your armies, don't worry about going into negative income so long as you have enough fights to give you a buffer of money to stay above 0, then when your large territory is slowly getting more corrupted and built up with income buildings and walls you can start having the rebellion quelling armies spread out to the frontiers.

If your -2000 per turn but getting 10k from sacking cities and rebellions every couple turns you'll be fine.
Ahh, that makes sense. I'm new to playing on VH so I think I am just being too cautious. And I do not like going negative income. I also think it has taken me some time to adapt to the VC playstyle, like not caring about losses and abusing Raise Dead to Never Stop Fighting.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jarvisi posted:

Necromancer lords in general are markedly improved compared to how they were in game 1. They are less fighty than regular vamp lords, but they get Master of the Black Arts which gives them an always on regen aura around them as well as cheaper winds costs for their core spells. Kemmler also has a horse to ride now so he's not stuck on foot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DeathSandwich posted:

Necromancer lords in general are markedly improved compared to how they were in game 1. They are less fighty than regular vamp lords, but they get Master of the Black Arts which gives them an always on regen aura around them as well as cheaper winds costs for their core spells. Kemmler also has a horse to ride now so he's not stuck on foot.

Also Krell.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hmm I may try the cost-based armies mod. That sounds cool

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anything that prevents the AI from having multiple stacks of single-unit monsters is an A+ mod.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also Krell.
I feel like Krell should be turned into a Legendary Hero or something for Kemmler; needing to keep an army slot open, not being able to equip him or mount him to try to fix his low MD or low speed is a pain, and I dont think Autoresolve accounts for summoning him very well, or at all. And in the AI's hands it may not even keep that army slot open.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The whole army slots thing is annoying since it means you can't raise dead in a multi army hellbattle

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Man, I never thought it would happen, but the Empire and Brettonia deathball super hard since the last balance patch. Most endgame ME campaigns seem to come down to Lothern/Reikland/Couronne and whoever their little mates are.

I'm currently running a Pestilens campaign. I managed to confederate Eshin and immediately got war declared on me by the entire old world and ... nope nope nope, just letting the entire region fall. Skaven got no real Global recruitment and there's just 30 human deathstacks riding around razing anything that looks like it might try to build a wall.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

CobiWann posted:

Thank you for this. I'm playing Saltspite with SFO and it's taken me forever to get enough of a ball rolling to take Miragliano without two full stacks. I figure Sartosa/Tilea is enough of a coastline to support my fleets!

Yeah, let a chaos rebellion do the hard work for you. Luckys Overhaul buffs garrisons which makes offense oriented factions have a harder early game, so having a rebellion soften them up or crush them helps a ton. I'm using Luckys but I'm guessing SFO is similar.

LO's Sartosan units are really good. Cutthroats
are a cheaper version of Corsairs sans armor but their perfect vigor at high ld is really useful. Even with Aranessa, they do kind of fall off late game compared to undead units but still really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Man, I never thought it would happen, but the Empire and Brettonia deathball super hard since the last balance patch. Most endgame ME campaigns seem to come down to Lothern/Reikland/Couronne and whoever their little mates are.

I'm currently running a Pestilens campaign. I managed to confederate Eshin and immediately got war declared on me by the entire old world and ... nope nope nope, just letting the entire region fall. Skaven got no real Global recruitment and there's just 30 human deathstacks riding around razing anything that looks like it might try to build a wall.

you should get a bunch of undercities in the old world and fill their part of the map with highly virulent cancer/ebola. It has a fairly large cost in food and money but after that it's pretty cheap, and totally neuters their heartlands in terms of garrisons and any armies passing through. Also reduces wealth!