Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Thermopyle posted:

I'm also old, but the difference is very visible to me.

While it's definitely better, it just doesn't mean much to me. Like, I'd pay 50 bucks extra to go from 60 to 120hz, but I'm not paying 200 bucks extra.

I can get behind that sentiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I also wouldn't pay much extra for it on a phone

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

isndl posted:

"Best resolution" is subjective, I'm perfectly happy with a mere 1080p screen on my phone since it's better for battery life. Crunching all those extra pixels ain't free, especially if you're playing a phone game or two.

e: forgot a word

Ok but that means you wouldn't care about the s20 ultra anyway. If another dumb variant above the s20+ is going to exist it should at least keep up with OnePlus.

The amount of people who can't see better resolution makes me wonder about people's eye health in general.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 14, 2020

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
On the one plus screen calibration, is there a "correct" setting?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah just reading stuff and scrolling with your finger on the forums app you'd notice a massive difference from 60hz and 120hz.

yep 1080 @ 120hz is the sweet spot.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Femur posted:

On the one plus screen calibration, is there a "correct" setting?

Whatever looks best to you. Here's mine:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Both sRGB Natural and DCI-P3 Natural are calibrated to accurate within each of their colorspaces.

sRGB natural would be more of a natural match with most content. I'm unclear as to whether or not the OP7P handles color space transitions properly (so you could set it in DCI-P3 Natural and have correct REC709 colors.)

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I don't think you can pick natural + advanced settings?

I had it as amoled wide gamut, and it looks closer to vivid, so the others looks washed to me now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's right, I goofed up there just by quickly looking at DisplayMate's calibration.

They tested sRGB content and DCI-P3 content while just on "Natural" and both content sources came back as properly calibrated. So that means that Natural is properly calibrated and the phone is handling the colorspace switch properly.

So, Natural is calibrated, otherwise pick what looks pleasing to you.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

hmmxkrazee posted:

Isn't it feasible that they may enable that in a future update? The latest leak shows there isn't an "adaptive" setting that used to be there so interested to see if that gets added later as well.

Do you mean enable faster refresh rate? I think the big thing is that they aren't going to pay for a panel that can do 120hz if they can't sell that as a feature on the new phone. It's quite a bit more expensive to the manufacturer (especially if a phone has curved screen etc) to buy more expensive panels. I'd expect a 1440p 120hz panel would make up the bulk of the actual cost to the company developing the phone unless they can do it in-house somehow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The story is that the the phone allows 120hz while in 1080p mode but not in 1440. So the hardware is there regardless.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Any of you Pixel Warriors want a case for your 4XL? I have an extra due to an Amazon error, PM me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

As long as you can force 120hz in developer options. like 90hz on a pixel 4 I'll be ok.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's still a thing! Possibly something related to the source image you're choosing? It's working for me with a wallpaper from the Pixel wallpaper app.

The images I'm trying are all wider than the screen.

I tried installing Google's wallpaper app now but it gave me no extra options. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm pretty sure the option comes from the launcher. When using Nova, it's right there in the settings and on the wallpaper picker.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

bull3964 posted:

The story is that the the phone allows 120hz while in 1080p mode but not in 1440. So the hardware is there regardless.

lol what spec connection is used to hook these screens into the mobo/CPU?

Are they bandwidth limited at the hook in

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I'm pretty sure the option comes from the launcher. When using Nova, it's right there in the settings and on the wallpaper picker.

Boo, Samsung, boo!

Is there an app that will do this for me?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

PirateBob posted:

Boo, Samsung, boo!

Is there an app that will do this for me?

Nova launcher is that app.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Fellow Pixel Warriors, the power button on my 4 XL is really loose. I have a case on it 99% of the time, but when I take the case off to clean it (fabric case), the button feels super loose and almost sunken into the frame of the device. Anyone else's like this too? I'm going to guess it's not really a huge issue, especially since I usually have a case on it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Branch Nvidian posted:

Fellow Pixel Warriors, the power button on my 4 XL is really loose. I have a case on it 99% of the time, but when I take the case off to clean it (fabric case), the button feels super loose and almost sunken into the frame of the device. Anyone else's like this too? I'm going to guess it's not really a huge issue, especially since I usually have a case on it.

The return of #buttongate!!
No, mine doesn't seem loose or anything really.

(For anyone with a brain not as weird as mine, pretty sure someone here returned a Pixel 1 because he thought the buttons were too wobbly.)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Lol, I can at least say I don't plan to warranty replace this because of a somewhat wobbly button, especially since it's totally unnoticeable once a case is on.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

The return of #buttongate!!
No, mine doesn't seem loose or anything really.

(For anyone with a brain not as weird as mine, pretty sure someone here returned a Pixel 1 because he thought the buttons were too wobbly.)

Twice (or more?), I think.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I would RMA it, it should not be that wobbly and they will replace your device for that! I did it on my OG Pixel XL.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Every morning I Palm slam my Pixel by the power button...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

what model Palm tho

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

But can you palm a basketball while fastballing your phone into a wall?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would RMA it, it should not be that wobbly and they will replace your device for that! I did it on my OG Pixel XL.

Talked to Google about it. They directed me to some third party repair company that doesn't operate in my state. Guess I'd have to check with Verizon, since I got it from them. If I have to send it in and wait for a replacement, then gently caress it since I don't have a spare device to use in the meantime.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Branch Nvidian posted:

Talked to Google about it. They directed me to some third party repair company that doesn't operate in my state. Guess I'd have to check with Verizon, since I got it from them. If I have to send it in and wait for a replacement, then gently caress it since I don't have a spare device to use in the meantime.

If it was ubreakifix, that's Google's legit repair partner AFAIK, so it's potentially worth giving that a chance.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

It was, but the closest one is still like a three hour drive away. I'll call them and see what can be done.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Looking back on the last decade, I'm very disappointed that Taser™ never took advantage of modular phones to make an attachment for Moto, LG, Essential, or RED.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mister Facetious posted:

Looking back on the last decade, I'm very disappointed that Taser™ never took advantage of modular phones to make an attachment for Moto, LG, Essential, or RED.

Lol the people that use tasers aren't buying those phones

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Statutory Ape posted:

Lol the people that use tasers aren't buying those phones

nobody* was buying those phones

* a statistically inconsequential number bought them.

but i was being facetious

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you can think of it, it's been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaJSYxit1qI

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-2020-code-names-snapdragon-765-snapdragon-730/

Sunfish, Snapdragon 730, 4G only, is in development with Android 10 and 11.

Redfin, Snapdragon 765, 4G and 5G, is in development with Android 10.

Bramble, Snapdragon 765, 4G and 5G, is in development with Android 10 and 11.

9to5Google claims that the Pixel 4a XL does exist and will be more expensive than the Pixel 3a XL.

XDA's editor thinks that one will remain a development device and there won't be 3 Pixel 4a devices.

Personally, since the Pixel 3a XL was $480, if it's gonna be more, I'd say maybe $600 or so but it's mid-range and the normal Pixel 4 starts at $800.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 17, 2020

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Twice (or more?), I think.

Three times and then bought an iPhone instead! Geez, you guys...at least get it right. Still loving that avatar. Totally worth all the discussion.

Pixel 3 power button is super nice btw. Clicky in all the right ways.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I went to bed with my s9+ sitting on my nightstand at 100% battery and 8 hours later without me using it at all I woke up and it's at 84%. This isn't normal right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

So I went to bed with my s9+ sitting on my nightstand at 100% battery and 8 hours later without me using it at all I woke up and it's at 84%. This isn't normal right?

It depends on what it claims used the battery.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It depends on what it claims used the battery.

What is a good way to check that? Thanks.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

2% per hour is pretty normal if something is keeping the phone out of deep sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Khablam posted:

2% per hour is pretty normal if something is keeping the phone out of deep sleep.

Is there a way to see if any app is doing that?