Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

precision posted:

Oh gently caress, that reminds me of another one!

Around 96 I was at a buddy's house with a bunch of people and we were all drunk and stoned when he puts on this VHS tape that he had found in a yard sale.

On it was this completely loving bizarre home movie made by people living in a trailer where they re enacted the entire movie Star Wars. Audio was missing and (probably) someone else had put a really dark industrial soundtrack to it that made the whole thing even more strange. Please tell me someone else has seen this via internet tape trading

And speaking of tape trading, another buddy 10 years ago had traded online for a VHS that was a metal band performing at a prom for retarded/special needs kids. The kids were all dancing and rocking out and having a great time and the band was actually pretty good.

I recall at a couple points the chaperones tried to calm the kids down and the band was like "come on they're just having fun". There were a lot of little moments the filmmaker captured like two of the kids shyly trying to hold hands.

Edit: should have known the second one was on youtube, but it's just a short clip, not the whole thing:

https://youtu.be/CUgOIFN-0Y0

I will make it my mission to find Trailer Park Star Wars: Industrial Edition. Now that I know such a thing exists, I need it in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

wit posted:

At the end of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, ep 2. Right after Amanda, the hallucinating sister flips off the Rowdy 8 stalker van while playing the drums in the garage, the credits roll and they play a different credits song. I really liked it, it was all triumphant and chiptune sounding. I've searched high and low but can't find it on anything.

It's an original piece by Series 1 composer Cristobal Tapia de Veer.

He also did the soundtracks to Utopia and Humans (don't know if they were popular programmes in the USA but they were in the UK.)

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

It's an original piece by Series 1 composer Cristobal Tapia de Veer.

He also did the soundtracks to Utopia and Humans (don't know if they were popular programmes in the USA but they were in the UK.)

Does that make him too big to contact and ask for an mp3 of a long version? I sort of thought the end credit of ep 1 might have been part of ep 2.

Anyway, you led me to this link which is full delivery in description, thanks! I didn't realize he was a full incidental musician, so can't really ask for more than the 40 seconds of a track. Makes more sense now.

Also thanks for not rightfully attacking me for calling them the Rowdy 8, when there's clearly 5 of them.

VVV: NICE. And yeah its a great show, first season at least. Think lost, but with a genuine plot.

wit fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 12, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

wit posted:

Does that make him too big to contact and ask for an mp3 of a long version? I sort of thought the end credit of ep 1 might have been part of ep 2.

Anyway, you led me to this link which is full delivery in description, thanks! I didn't realize he was a full incidental musician, so can't really ask for more than the 40 seconds of a track. Makes more sense now.

Also thanks for not rightfully attacking me for calling them the Rowdy 8, when there's clearly 5 of them.

No problem! I've never seen Dirk Gently but it looks pretty good so I might check it out. I'm very familiar with the composer though, he's not a huge name so you might have luck asking for a longer version if you can find a way to contact him :)

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Dirk Gently was good and I'm sad they didn't make more seasons. It has the weirdest tonal whiplash of any show I've ever seen.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

There was an article that got made into a thread here that was something like "Refguees in [place] are going back home because [place] is too boring and depressing." I can't remember what the country was, maybe something like Norway or Sweden? I can't fully remember but that's why I'm posting here as I'm looking for said article or thread.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

precision posted:

Oh gently caress, that reminds me of another one!

Around 96 I was at a buddy's house with a bunch of people and we were all drunk and stoned when he puts on this VHS tape that he had found in a yard sale.

On it was this completely loving bizarre home movie made by people living in a trailer where they re enacted the entire movie Star Wars. Audio was missing and (probably) someone else had put a really dark industrial soundtrack to it that made the whole thing even more strange. Please tell me someone else has seen this via internet tape trading

And speaking of tape trading, another buddy 10 years ago had traded online for a VHS that was a metal band performing at a prom for retarded/special needs kids. The kids were all dancing and rocking out and having a great time and the band was actually pretty good.

I recall at a couple points the chaperones tried to calm the kids down and the band was like "come on they're just having fun". There were a lot of little moments the filmmaker captured like two of the kids shyly trying to hold hands.

Edit: should have known the second one was on youtube, but it's just a short clip, not the whole thing:

https://youtu.be/CUgOIFN-0Y0

The second one sounds like Mr. Bungle or some other Mike Patton band playing for the Kids of Widney High.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kids_of_Widney_High

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't see the video you posted.
Look up the Kids of Widney High anyway.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 12, 2020

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Somewhere around 2011 or 2012 I was watching bits and clips of Japanese horror movies on YouTube. There was one that stood out to me and I've never been able to find the whole film and the clip and channel have since been banned for copyright infringement. The clip went something like this:

It was part of a found footage film (possibly part of an anthology) where a team was investigating paranormal phenomenon. The clip in question centered around a pedestrian overpass that had been the site of several suicides. Surveillance footage showed people walking across the bridge, stopping suddenly, and throwing themselves off of it for no apparent reason. Investigators also found a mysterious dark stain that looked like an arrow on the ground, pointing to where many people landed, and a bizarre billboard nearby of a cartoon dog that had a distressed look on its face.

The clip was only about 5 minutes long and it really struck me with how well done the footage was. It really looked like people were jumping to their deaths and the camera just cut away moments before impact (or at least that's how I remember it almost a decade later). I have found Japanese horror compilations and found footage collections, but nothing like this since. If it helps, what I saw was subtitled, but it could have been fan translated.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Sounds like an interpretation of the Overtoun Bridge, which would explain the billboard.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Just stumbled on this thread and it's a blast. Thank you goon on page 2 who finally put to rest that no, it was not a fever dream, that Dr Seuss Halloween special actually existed!

My white whale: I worked at a used CD store from 1998-2000. I got a CD by an act called Fragmented. It's weird ambient experimental stuff that was a huge influence on what I put out now. Even at the time, it was a bit mysterious, as they had no web presence. Never did find out who was behind it.

I lost the CD at some point during a my numerous moves, and the only mention I can find is this:

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/fragmented

That's definitely the artist/band I'm looking for, as I recognize some of the other album titles from when I tried to find more about them years ago. If anyone can help me find it, it'd be much appreciated.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

Doctor Eckhart posted:

I have memories of a virtual pet PC game where you took care of a dog in the late 90s/early 2000s. I think the dog was brown. There were multiple areas, but I only recall the huge garden (which was always night time/gloomy) where you could play fetch, and a bathroom where you could go give the dog a bubble bath. There was a real sinister vibe to the whole thing, similar to Courage the Cowardly dog, but it was definitely not a tie-in. It could have been an indie game.

I think there was a bone shape in the title, but I don't know what the title was. Previous searches for virtual pet games have come up only with ones that are not this.

This must be 3D Pets: PC Pup. I think the vibe is just because the whole thing is so empty and quiet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlsuGnycnVo (6:34 for PC Pup)

I had this as a kid and those are some real early 2000s graphics.

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Min_sora posted:

This must be 3D Pets: PC Pup. I think the vibe is just because the whole thing is so empty and quiet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlsuGnycnVo (6:34 for PC Pup)

I had this as a kid and those are some real early 2000s graphics.

Yes that’s it! The 2000s were a great time for computer graphics. Kids these days don’t know what they’re missing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
every few years i'll get it in my head that i can find this poo poo and it's just not gonna happen, so i gotta ask you guys to dust off your oldest HDs and burned discs for me

i'm looking for old fan-made beatmania/bms files. this is entirely legal and on the up-and-up, these were publicly released by enthusiasts and have nothing to do with the licensed songs in the arcade cabinets, but the problem is finding them. these are all fuckin ANCIENT by internet standards, 1998-2001. the original artists have long since disappeared, there were no real backups, and everything was uploaded to defunct japanese sites from the turn of the century.

specifically i'm looking for anything by Juno & Une, Shiro, Ken, ε&ο, and quite frankly anyone else you could find from that era. bmsworld.nz is really spotty, i've looked through all their uploads and it doesn't have a good collection from that timeframe. any help would be greatly appreciated

wit
Jul 26, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Just stumbled on this thread and it's a blast. Thank you goon on page 2 who finally put to rest that no, it was not a fever dream, that Dr Seuss Halloween special actually existed!

My white whale: I worked at a used CD store from 1998-2000. I got a CD by an act called Fragmented. It's weird ambient experimental stuff that was a huge influence on what I put out now. Even at the time, it was a bit mysterious, as they had no web presence. Never did find out who was behind it.

I lost the CD at some point during a my numerous moves, and the only mention I can find is this:

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/fragmented

That's definitely the artist/band I'm looking for, as I recognize some of the other album titles from when I tried to find more about them years ago. If anyone can help me find it, it'd be much appreciated.

A lot of their stuff seems to be off label. #30 on this compiliation is the only track of theirs I can find, released under deadline recordings. There's also https://fragmented.org/buy.asp this I guess. John Falvey/Christopher J Falvey? Seems to match up.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

InediblePenguin posted:

a parody of "Informer" to which the chorus was "i'm a farmer, get up at 4 in the morning and use my hands to milk the moo moo cows" which used to play on the albany, ny pop radio morning show in the 1990s

I only know the German Version of that song (I had the CD as a kid..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WokG3kLUFwA

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Eight-Six posted:

There was an article that got made into a thread here that was something like "Refguees in [place] are going back home because [place] is too boring and depressing." I can't remember what the country was, maybe something like Norway or Sweden? I can't fully remember but that's why I'm posting here as I'm looking for said article or thread.

It was finland, notoriously the most miserable of the icy viking countries
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-migrants-finland-idUSKCN0VL0UE

If you ask any finn they will tell you this is unsurprising

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

There was a movie I remember seeing on TV as a kid. It featured a band of dwarves I think and this little kid. I don't really remember much about the movie, except that they were being relentlessly pursued by this big, glowing disembodied face.

I distinctly remember one scene where the dwarves are in the kid's room, and they start pushing on the kid's wall, which starts to move backwards. As they're doing that, the face appears and they all start to panic and push faster. The face gets really close when they push the wall back far enough to reveal a door and they jump through at the last second.

It was an extremely trippy movie, but I have never been able to track down anything about it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dont Touch ME posted:

There was a movie I remember seeing on TV as a kid. It featured a band of dwarves I think and this little kid. I don't really remember much about the movie, except that they were being relentlessly pursued by this big, glowing disembodied face.

I distinctly remember one scene where the dwarves are in the kid's room, and they start pushing on the kid's wall, which starts to move backwards. As they're doing that, the face appears and they all start to panic and push faster. The face gets really close when they push the wall back far enough to reveal a door and they jump through at the last second.

It was an extremely trippy movie, but I have never been able to track down anything about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cfumd0JPBw

That's Time Bandits, yo.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Holy poo poo it is. loving incredible :wth:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Time Bandits

E:F,B

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
For some reason that makes me want to watch Pulse again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVJzwG4Ee4c

A movie about electricity turning eeeeevil.

Also Wedlock, a gloriously cheeseball movie that's about exploding collars, has one of the best exploding head scenes ever. Featuing Rutger Hauer, of all people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hGvRSQJaw

I love this kind of goofy poo poo.

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.

InediblePenguin posted:

a parody of "Informer" to which the chorus was "i'm a farmer, get up at 4 in the morning and use my hands to milk the moo moo cows" which used to play on the albany, ny pop radio morning show in the 1990s

I was able to find the parody's title and lyrics: http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/snow1.shtml

Can't seem to locate actual audio though.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

I'd love to know where I can buy this. Even a shoddy replica. I've been looking online for years...

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Theres this garrys mod video me and my friend found hilarious as young 20 somethings.

It had a guy saying 1/10

and then another guy would slam the keyboard and shout BANNED! Over and over

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

wit posted:

A lot of their stuff seems to be off label. #30 on this compiliation is the only track of theirs I can find, released under deadline recordings. There's also https://fragmented.org/buy.asp this I guess. John Falvey/Christopher J Falvey? Seems to match up.

I swear, today is like SA Xmas for me. The chickencheese thread is back, and you, good sir/ma'am, just got me in contact with an artist I've been trying to find for 20 years.

Holy crap, thank you so much.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 14, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vanagoon posted:

For some reason that makes me want to watch Pulse again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVJzwG4Ee4c

Based on a Japanese movie that was way better btw

Edit haha never mind, thought that was the 00s movie Pulse

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Foreskin Problems posted:

I'd love to know where I can buy this. Even a shoddy replica. I've been looking online for years...

Sorry for double posting but: you might try contacting this place called Fantasy, in Newport News, Virginia. They had tons of poo poo like that, the most bizarre dragon/wizard/fantasy sculptures, and the second I saw that I thought "yep, betcha Fantasy carries that". Even if they don't the owner, Mitch, is a really cool dude and might help you hunt one down. I don't live there anymore, but if I did I'd go ask myself.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Domus posted:

Zero chance that anyone has access to the footage, but years ago, maybe 15 or so, I saw something amazing. Flipping through channels on TV, my husband and I stumbled across a public access show featuring a guy in a full Darth Vader costume, on roller skates, dancing to a disco version of the Star Wars theme. It was strangely mesmerizing. Love to find out WTF gave someone that idea.

If it helps, it's likely the Meco theme, as seen in this.. thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOp04pxm7ro

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

When I was a kid I saw a snippet of a movie on TV where a guy in a Darth Vader costume danced with a woman in... a bounce house I think? And they were alone in there and it was quiet and dark and in slow motion maybe? There's a possibility this was a dream tbh

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Foreskin Problems posted:

Man alive, there's a whole band:

Looks like they were sold in the gift shop at Boomland once upon a time, although they aren't on the website. I guess you could go to Missouri?

If it's just cheap-rear end-lookin' rock-band dragons you're after, go to eBay and search for 'fiery youngbloods'. Marvel at the Hamilton Collection's lack of glitter.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pretty good posted:

When I was a kid
Revenge of the Nerds.

It's the infamous date rape scene because she thought Darth guy was the hoke she was dating.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
There was a documentary on Netflix(?) a few years ago about a director that came over from the UK or maybe North America, and was a fairly prevelant director in the early talkies era. We just watched Bombay Talkies and are working through a few other bolly/kolly/mollywood (bf's a mallu) films.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Mine's an old SA thread that was posted in GBS that I think was sometime a bit after I registered ('04/'05). In the thread, the OP writes about how he runs several miles a day, and is sometimes afflicted by a syndrome he refers to as "Running Induced Craps" or "RICs" as he abbreviates them. Anyways, one day in the middle of his seven mile run he suddenly feels the need to take a massive poo poo, but there's nowhere along his running route to do so. He runs the remaining few miles and starts getting close to his house when he can't hold it anymore and tries ducking into a bush or something to poo poo, but instead ends up spraying poo poo all over some dude's car who is driving by. The guy gets out of the car to confront the goon and the they write something along the lines of "I didn't know what else to do, so I poo poo on him while running away" and the poo poo splashes all over the guy's pants while he just stands there horrified.

It is concluded with the OP stating that "so not only did I poo poo my pants, but I poo poo someone else's pants also".

I crack up laughing every time I think of this post, but have never been able to find it and putting "Running Induced Craps" into the awful search engine doesn't return anything. Anyone else remember this?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There's a museum that is obligated to display a painting of a dog because the dog's owner willed them like three million pounds two hundred years ago or something. It's technically not still obligated because the will's bequest conditions or whatever have expired but they still do it? And they used the money to buy like, a literal van Gogh or something and there's a plaque next to the dog painting explaining why they have the crappy dog painting up?

I want to find that. I saw it posted here but I can't find proof. Been trying combinations of keywords and also checking for historical examples of weird long-lasting-and-no-longer-valid conditions on wills.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Someone once posted a Youtube here titled something like "Chili Festival 2009" or something like that. It was a bunch of white southern college kids partying.

Anyone know what I'm talking about??

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Two quick ones:

- a video of cars driving off ramps synchronized and Jump Around as the background music. I want to say it was for Isuzu.

- this was someones Av, but it was a guy with a video camcorder, weird huge smile. I know it was for a photo series on Southern Charms, but I’m trying to find the full pic.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's a museum that is obligated to display a painting of a dog because the dog's owner willed them like three million pounds two hundred years ago or something. It's technically not still obligated because the will's bequest conditions or whatever have expired but they still do it? And they used the money to buy like, a literal van Gogh or something and there's a plaque next to the dog painting explaining why they have the crappy dog painting up?

I want to find that. I saw it posted here but I can't find proof. Been trying combinations of keywords and also checking for historical examples of weird long-lasting-and-no-longer-valid conditions on wills.

This has to be him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cowan_Smith. It's the National Gallery of Scotland.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

teen witch posted:

Two quick ones:

- a video of cars driving off ramps synchronized and Jump Around as the background music. I want to say it was for Isuzu.

Not "Jump Around", but maybe this was related?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-VEMVAB1hc

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I want an Isuzu so bad right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blacksocks
Feb 20, 2007

Aeon Flux full TV show, in good quality (there are YouTube versions with distortion to avoid copyright take down)