Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There's also an entire set of events about the rains down in Africa that fire roughly every year for African cultures and have nearly universally awful negative effects. It makes playing African cultures even more of a slog than they were before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

McGavin posted:

the rains down in Africa

Unexpected reference, but sure! But yea that sounds awful, surely there's some community patch to edit the text files that govern that event?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

GHOST_BUTT posted:

No, its an event that fires pretty frequently wherein you either pay a pile of cash or lose an artifact. It definitely doesn't give you anything. You just also happen to be positioned such that if you're getting hit with that event you can also potentially take over the entirety of Africa's trade posts to offset the expense. The real winning move is to do that and then take Maghreb or somewhere else in northern Africa and put your capital there.

The problem is that you want to personally control the trade nodes, but directly owning any of the provinces regardless of where your capital is will trigger the events:

code:
    trigger = {
        any_demesne_province = {
                region_africa_west_central_or_east_trigger = yes
                has_rain_or_drought_modifier_trigger = yes
        }
    }

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Look guys just don't get the gods mad and they won't punish you with drought or floods.

Also although slightly annoying I was rolling in so much cash that it wasn't really a problem after three or four generations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

binge crotching posted:

The problem is that you want to personally control the trade nodes, but directly owning any of the provinces regardless of where your capital is will trigger the events:

code:
    trigger = {
        any_demesne_province = {
                region_africa_west_central_or_east_trigger = yes
                has_rain_or_drought_modifier_trigger = yes
        }
    }

Marrakech is far enough north to be immune.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Charlz Guybon posted:

Anyways, Roman Imperial government is not hard, so long as you manage to hold on to the Empire for two generations and have a lot of kids. You just give every new duchy to a son, nephew or cousin or marry them to a ruling greek duchess and soon most of the voters and candidates are of your dynasty, so even if they don't vote for your candidate, another member of your dynasty will inherit.

Do you give duchys or viceroyalties?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dirk Pitt posted:

Do you give duchys or viceroyalties?

Viceroyalties of course.

Saw that Moral authority had a -10% penalty because the Patriarch of Constantinople was an evil priest, so I put out a hit. Plot power hit over 600% almost immediately and he was shot to death in just over a month. Never seen an assassination happen so fast before, I was amazed.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Charlz Guybon posted:

Viceroyalties of course.

Saw that Moral authority had a -10% penalty because the Patriarch of Constantinople was an evil priest, so I put out a hit. Plot power hit over 600% almost immediately and he was shot to death in just over a month. Never seen an assassination happen so fast before, I was amazed.

Ok, so I think I do the same thing when expanding from 867 start (I keep starting over trying to form Rome). I give all the counties in a newly acquired piece of territory to a relative and then give them the Viceroyalty.

Should I take Alexandria, and Jerusalem separately? Meaning they will just be little patches of purple in an Abbasid field of green. Or should I war my way across? I think option 1 is best due to the drat threat cool downs, but I don't know.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dirk Pitt posted:

Ok, so I think I do the same thing when expanding from 867 start (I keep starting over trying to form Rome). I give all the counties in a newly acquired piece of territory to a relative and then give them the Viceroyalty.

Should I take Alexandria, and Jerusalem separately? Meaning they will just be little patches of purple in an Abbasid field of green. Or should I war my way across? I think option 1 is best due to the drat threat cool downs, but I don't know.

Waring down the coast is more realistic, but if there are super convenient rebelions of those Emirates like I had, it would be a shame not to take advantage of them with a seaborne invasion.

The key to successful Byzantine game is to consolidate dejure territory in Europe and Med. The Kingdom of Sicily allows you to project a lot of power.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Charlz Guybon posted:

Viceroyalties of course.

I formed the Iconoclast Patrichate and my founding Patriarch became an evil priest soon after, which obviously isn't ideal when you're trying to bring back a heresy. He fell from a balcony.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Evil priests are hilarious like that. People just universally agree that the world is better off without that rear end in a top hat in it and that there’s massive conspiracies to make that happen like instantly once someone has the guts to say it out loud.

I routinely check my realm for wicked priests partially because of that and partially because if a wicked priest isn’t already a Satan they are definitely gonna be awful soon.

And gently caress Satans.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

Lucifer's Own erasure itt

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

Evil priests are hilarious like that. People just universally agree that the world is better off without that rear end in a top hat in it and that there’s massive conspiracies to make that happen like instantly once someone has the guts to say it out loud.

I routinely check my realm for wicked priests partially because of that and partially because if a wicked priest isn’t already a Satan they are definitely gonna be awful soon.

Satanists specifically have a mission to turn priests wicked, right? So spotting a bunch of wicked priests can also be a good sign of a satanic infestation. Well that and suddenly everyone has cancer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Satanists specifically have a mission to turn priests wicked, right? So spotting a bunch of wicked priests can also be a good sign of a satanic infestation. Well that and suddenly everyone has cancer.

the mission doesn't explicitly turn a priest wicked, but it does slaughter their piety and gives them more sins, which makes it more likely they will turn wicked.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

fuf posted:

gimme a dev diary

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck3-dev-diary-09-lifestyles.1308005/

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I have a couple of concerns.

First, only landed characters seem to learn something. I remember they've said something about changes in council, but does this mean that on average you're much better employing landed characters as they actually progress? You already had the pressure to do it in CK2 cause of powerful vassal mechanics and them pushing you.

Second, it might make interactions with characters convoluted. Those skills are not traits and aren't visible in the character screen. So if a character has, say, defense from plots and it's important for you - you won't see it in his character screen straight away, you have to open his skill screen and see that his 15 skills include plot defense or not. Same goes for bloodline bonuses. Any given character might have dozens of bonuses from his skill tree and bloodlines that are hard to see. Maybe they're inconsequential and do not affect your decisions which is sad. Maybe it becomes a management nightmare. Maybe they'll invent some great UI, e.g. when you look for a spouse it will tell you about special dynastic traits and personal skills making that specific spouse more desirable as a spouse, same for councilors and commanders.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Man, RIP my coolest dude. Started as a great conqueror in a shattered world, united the entire African religious region in one mega-empire, reformed the religion, got up to Hero in the Children of the Storm and about 70% along the bar, and was working towards feudalism when he died. How, you may ask? I got a 60-year-old heretical priest (occupying one of the holy sites) so mad at me that he literally cut my head off in a duel.

E: the priest had a combat rating of -2 compared to my hundred-something. Dueling: not even once.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 15, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

luxury handset posted:

..where your realm implodes is that you don't have legal aka de jure title over any of your vassals, or you've got gavelkind succession which is the brave spears-knocking-shields variety of title inheritance which is expected to turn into a giant mess on ruler death

I just wanted to say thanks for this, you actually explained it in a way I finally understood. New question:

I want to declare war on a dude, and I have both CB, no agression pact and the general wherewithal, but the dropdown menu has a red x saying ''[target] is independent". What exactly does this mean? I got it a couple of times on guys where I realized that they had lieges, and to press my de jure claim I had to fight their liege for it (I think, I was able to declare on the lieges anyway).

E: also, it seems raiding and looting off the bat is really hard without ships, how do I create those?

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 15, 2020

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Tias posted:

I just wanted to say thanks for this, you actually explained it in a way I finally understood. New question:

I want to declare war on a dude, and I have both CB, no agression pact and the general wherewithal, but the dropdown menu has a red x saying ''[target] is independent". What exactly does this mean? I got it a couple of times on guys where I realized that they had lieges, and to press my de jure claim I had to fight their liege for it (I think, I was able to declare on the lieges anyway).

E: also, it seems raiding and looting off the bat is really hard without ships, how do I create those?

External wars can only be declared against the top liege of a realm, as they are the one responsible for protecting said realm.

In order to raise ships you need to have coastal counties with castles, cities, or temples that have shipyards built. I forget the hotkey for raising ship levies from a county/vassal, but I think it's C. Ships raised from your demesne have a significant maintenance cost, unless you follow a seafaring religion or culture. Ships owned by your vassals do not cost you gold, but your vassals will grow upset if you keep them raised long... that is until you get some loot into them, then the opinion malus will decay as if the ships weren't raised.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're independent, you can only declare on other independent rulers. The X next to "is independent" means that they're not independent, and you'll have to declare the war against their top-level liege instead. (If you're someone's vassal, you can also fight an internal conflict against other vassals of the same liege - in a lot of starts, swearing fealty to a strong ruler so you can then fight all their weak vassals without interference can be a good play.)

You get ships by having shipyard buildings in coastal holdings - you can raise your own ships if you have those holdings yourself, or you can raise your vassal ships if they have those holdings. If you're playing from the super early start date then you won't have any to begin with, but an event will fire at some point that'll kickstart you on your way.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Anyone play CK2 on a big rear end 4k TV from the couch? Is it feasible? Trying to reduce my desk time.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

fuf posted:

Anyone play CK2 on a big rear end 4k TV from the couch? Is it feasible? Trying to reduce my desk time.

There's UI scaling that works mostly fine if you don't count features like Alt+Shift+RMB for diplomacy with the highest ruler of a province. And it's fine with Steam Controller or something, I guess.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Someone post that one guys ludicrous steam controller set up for ck2

Tias
May 25, 2008

Neurion posted:

External wars can only be declared against the top liege of a realm, as they are the one responsible for protecting said realm.

In order to raise ships you need to have coastal counties with castles, cities, or temples that have shipyards built. I forget the hotkey for raising ship levies from a county/vassal, but I think it's C. Ships raised from your demesne have a significant maintenance cost, unless you follow a seafaring religion or culture. Ships owned by your vassals do not cost you gold, but your vassals will grow upset if you keep them raised long... that is until you get some loot into them, then the opinion malus will decay as if the ships weren't raised.

I got it. I have to fight the lieges - I still seem to get my rear end kicked every time I try though, only gobbling up the tiny neighbours without defensive pacts.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ilitarist posted:

There's UI scaling that works mostly fine if you don't count features like Alt+Shift+RMB for diplomacy with the highest ruler of a province. And it's fine with Steam Controller or something, I guess.

Ok cool. Happy using a wireless mouse and keyboard, it's just the UI visibility I'm wondering about.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Having a hard time figuring out the first challenge for Paul Subic, I.e. controlling the duchies of Croatia, Bosnia, and Hum, as well as the kingdom of Serbia and all its de jure land.

It’s 1431 and I’m playing as a character who inherited the kingdom of Serbia about 20 years prior while I was still playing as his dad, and finished off a de jure war with Byz for Rashka, which was the only de jure province I was missing for Serbia.

Well the counter still says 3/4. I check all my provinces for merc castles or Venetian cities and find none. I then decide to revoke the duchy of Hum so I hold it directly. So now I’m personally holding the kingdoms of Croatia and Serbia, those three duchies, and the counter doesn’t seem to indicate which part I’m missing. Maybe I need to hold all the the counties under the duchies too, though that seems a bit much. I’m at full centralization already.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Possibly an overcomplicated mechanic, I don't really know what to think, maybe it's more transparent than the old focuses and it's less likely that old events and questlines will be dropped and go dormant. It may also make things less variable and harder to swap in and out events. Whatever, it's hard to say.

I would like to start complaining about the UI design though, because that light grey, slightly darker grey text on a not very dark grey background that sometimes has a little shiny effect making it lighter is just such incredibly low contrast, it's annoying to read.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Stress is starting to sound like it will either be a medium thing they start with and improve throughout the games life cycle or it will be absolutely terrible forever

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

ilitarist posted:

I have a couple of concerns.

First, only landed characters seem to learn something. I remember they've said something about changes in council, but does this mean that on average you're much better employing landed characters as they actually progress? You already had the pressure to do it in CK2 cause of powerful vassal mechanics and them pushing you.

Second, it might make interactions with characters convoluted. Those skills are not traits and aren't visible in the character screen. So if a character has, say, defense from plots and it's important for you - you won't see it in his character screen straight away, you have to open his skill screen and see that his 15 skills include plot defense or not. Same goes for bloodline bonuses. Any given character might have dozens of bonuses from his skill tree and bloodlines that are hard to see. Maybe they're inconsequential and do not affect your decisions which is sad. Maybe it becomes a management nightmare. Maybe they'll invent some great UI, e.g. when you look for a spouse it will tell you about special dynastic traits and personal skills making that specific spouse more desirable as a spouse, same for councilors and commanders.

In CK2, there's an icon you can hover over to see the total effects from treasury. It's entirely possible they'll have something similar where you can hover over the skills button to see "total effects from skills" or bloodlines or whatnot

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I want to be hyped about this game, I really do. But the experience points and skill tree systems just plain don't belong in this kind of game.

I hope I warm up to it in time, but it just seems weird and jarring as is.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think it's an improvement over the current system, at least.

Taking rulership focus and hoping for a random event to give you just and not stressed isn't great.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I really suck at taking care of my vassals so they'll give me enough men. Apart from gold (which I start with precious little of) and honorary titles and lands, what can I do to make them happier?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Raise your diplo, get a wife with good diplo, take focuses which give traits with +vassal opinion.

The thing is, you're not going to be able to make everyone happy. Half of this game is dealing with malcontent vassals, and sometimes the best thing you can do is deal with a revolt and put the ones who hate you in jail forever.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tias posted:

I really suck at taking care of my vassals so they'll give me enough men. Apart from gold (which I start with precious little of) and honorary titles and lands, what can I do to make them happier?

Replace them with people who like you more.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

my gay chaste son came of age and i figured i would just set him up with some lusty concubines then make him a duke, unfortunately the first concubine to birth a child had 21 intrigue and seized on the opportunity presented by my son's low fertility and murdered him, making his only child duke as an infant with mom as the reagent

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Spoondick posted:

my gay chaste son came of age and i figured i would just set him up with some lusty concubines then make him a duke, unfortunately the first concubine to birth a child had 21 intrigue and seized on the opportunity presented by my son's low fertility and murdered him, making his only child duke as an infant with mom as the reagent

We need a :xcom: but for CK2

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Instead of a face sliding in and out of frame make it a bloody knife.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tias posted:

Wait for then to conquer lands, than create the duchys/kingdoms of the lands they already have and give to them. They will love you for a while

Hellioning posted:

I think it's an improvement over the current system, at least.

Taking rulership focus and hoping for a random event to give you just and not stressed isn't great.

I liked it too, looks promising. So far I think Io liked everything CK3 they announced

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 16, 2020

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I want to be hyped about this game, I really do. But the experience points and skill tree systems just plain don't belong in this kind of game.

I hope I warm up to it in time, but it just seems weird and jarring as is.

In any other Paradox mapgame I'd be inclined to agree but Crusader Kings specifically feels like it's always had some role-playing elements, so this doesn't feel like too much of a leap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tias posted:

your vassals are rarely going to be a good source of troops to fight wars with. i prefer to think of vassal troops as an augment to my own forces, or an emergency reserve to put down a peasan revolt while my own troops are off doing the real work

aside from what others have said, you're almost always better off boosting your own demense as much as possible and filling out your own personal levy rather than relying on vassal levies. or saving up for mercenaries and sending them off to do all the dying

Tias posted:

I got it. I have to fight the lieges - I still seem to get my rear end kicked every time I try though, only gobbling up the tiny neighbours without defensive pacts.

don't be afraid to swear fealty in this game. it's not a bad thing to have a lord, or be a vassal! you can do a LOT of ladder climbing if you swear allegiance to a king and then start picking off his vassals bit by bit