Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Was it ever really that popular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm surprised it got canceled before Armada because of how...sparse FFG has been about anything Armada related but :wow:

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
FFG's model really starting to look like slash and burn over the last couple of years. I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel Armada in a while.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

I'm surprised it got canceled before Armada because of how...sparse FFG has been about anything Armada related but :wow:

Lol

I figured the super star destroyer would be the last model, going out with a bang. I doubt they're working on a resistance or FO faction and clone wars doesn't seem really viable either.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Drone posted:

Not as far as I can tell. A couple of people bought into it heavily locally, but it never got popular. I think this area struggles with random-booster models generally (except maybe Magic).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I remember the mad rush when the first couple sets were out and it was impossible to find at all, much less at MSRP

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Wowshawk posted:

Lol

I figured the super star destroyer would be the last model, going out with a bang. I doubt they're working on a resistance or FO faction and clone wars doesn't seem really viable either.

I thought they said they were working on Clone Wars, but yeah, I think they counted on the new movies adding a lot more to Star Wars than they did. gently caress all for new ship models, new fighters that are basically the same thing. Unless they are given carte blanche to just make up their own thing there's like no real room to expand.

You know not counting how the game is very fiddly, more objective focused than I think most people wanted, and just not very popular.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

With Destiny I know a lot of people in my area dropped the game somewhere around the second expansion. Some of the unfun combos combined with low availability drove them away.

I also noticed the secondary market dried up pretty quick. With only needing 2 copies of most cards, 2-3 boxes got you everything you needed outside of the legendaries. If the FLGS couldn’t make extra money off the secondary market, there was probably little reason to support the game once the player counts dropped.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I just bought a copy of Edge of Empire.

Was I wrong?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cessna posted:

I just bought a copy of Edge of Empire.

Was I wrong?

No. At this point the RPG line is pretty fully fleshed out. Even if t]hey don't make any more books there's a ton of material already in print.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Drone posted:

FFG did a public meeting with distributors and retailers regarding how they couldn't keep up with demand for the first releases, because pre-orders hadn't been there, but then everyone ordered it in bulk.

I believe, but can't say for certain, that between a mediocre expansion and ongoing typical ffg print numbers, people dropped off.

Given the huge cuts in the company (about 1/4 of the staff in total) and now this, their hedge fund owners and/or Asmodai are clearly looking to cut costs, it's not a good sign for them at all.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Destiny was one of the most fun and unique card games I've ever played, but the supply issue followed up by a broken metagame made people run and dump their cards. If only I sold my cards/dice when I could have made money instead of hopelessly waiting for a resurgence. I just threw out a shoebox worth of dice a few weeks ago because I couldn't even give them away.

Maybe someone will use a similar system for another game of this type, because the mechanics really were fun.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I think part of what killed it would be relying on super special dice for each hero when they could've just said go buy a d6 and roll it and here's what each face equates to. Like the amount of storage even an intro destiny collection required was nutty I can't imagine what people who bought more than the first expansion had to lug around.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Me and half the local players dumped Destiny as soon as old poo poo rotated out and we had 0 desire to dump hundreds more into it every few months. (LCG superiority)
The other half bailed when the meta stayed trash for as long as it did. Theres like 4 or so people who do drafts but thats it.

Best case scenario they ditch all their money sink games and rebuy the Netrunner license. but lol at that ever happening

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

I think part of what killed it would be relying on super special dice for each hero when they could've just said go buy a d6 and roll it and here's what each face equates to. Like the amount of storage even an intro destiny collection required was nutty I can't imagine what people who bought more than the first expansion had to lug around.

Oh it was crazy what I saw people try to carry. What especially made it bad was that it was collectible, and collectible means people want to trade, so they'd have to carry more than just what they wanted to play with. It's easier to carry a Warhammer 40k army.

The dice were real nice and amazing quality and I can't imagine the game would have been able to have the same depth if it relied on d6es. Just being able to see at a glance what options were on both sides of the table without having to cross-reference all the cards out with all the dice out was invaluable.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

PST posted:

Given the huge cuts in the company (about 1/4 of the staff in total) and now this, their hedge fund owners and/or Asmodai are clearly looking to cut costs, it's not a good sign for them at all.

I feel bad for them. I wonder if the success of X-wing is actually what did them in. From what I remember they made a shitload of money off of it, and it let them keep afloat a lot of their other properties that were never going to be major successes. I can't imagine private equity is a huge fan of that though, and basically just wants more X-wing. 2nd edition isn't drawing what 1st edition did, and none of their attempts to capture that same buying frenzy seem to have succeeded (Keyforge, Destiny). I guess they have their LCGs, but I wonder if people aren't going to start getting leery of buying another $40 starter set for what we all know is going to end up being a $200 game. I wouldn't put it past Asmodee to just keep pushing them in that direction to the point everyone gets burnt out on the whole model.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I don't have the games, but I heard the news about FFG. Does anyone know if they're going to keep the books in print, or am I going to have to scramble for them before the supply runs dry?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm weighing up the odds of buying everything I don't have for Imperial Assault or just rolling the dice on finding them cheap later. I get the impression that the game, or at least the first edition, is dead and the new movies didn't get the consistently positive response necessary to justify doing a Resistance era 2nd edition.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm weighing up the odds of buying everything I don't have for Imperial Assault or just rolling the dice on finding them cheap later. I get the impression that the game, or at least the first edition, is dead and the new movies didn't get the consistently positive response necessary to justify doing a Resistance era 2nd edition.

I've got a core set that I never got around to playing with, if you want it. I had planned on subbing in the IA models for the Doom board game models (stormtroopers = imps, e-web teams =mancubus, etc) but never even started it.

e: of course the solo marine was going to be Boba.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Thanks, but I have pretty much everything outside of waves 4-7 at this point. I got into it late enough that I got the reprints of early waves while the later waves were being released. It's just a lot of physical space to start working out for storage.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I picked a bad time to get into Armada didn't I :saddowns:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Na. They cant flush every game they have. That would look even worse than whatever fat trimming they're doing now. Just because it doesn't pull X-wing numbers doesnt mean its not profitable.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Actually speaking on Armada, I've been buying into a bunch of both Rebels and Imperials lately so I don't have to rely on my friends buying in and can just loan them a fleet any time we play. What would people say are the most important ships to have for each faction, both for the ships themselves and upgrade cards?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I'd say the only skippable ships are the MC-30, Pelta and prob Assault Frigate MK II (its just a cheaper uglier Home One)
For empire you can skip the Interdictor and prob the Raider and VSD

Must have upgrades are Gunnery Team, Electronic Countermeasures, X-17 turbo lasers, Leading Shots, Intel Officer, Strategic Advisor, Bomber command center, Ordnance experts, Turbolaser reroute circuits, engine techs uhh...thats all the generics I can think of. Theres some faction specific officers like Raymus and Wulf too I cant recall atm. Any of the online fleet builders or the Armada wiki will tell you which expansions they come in.

Try and get the various fighter packs if you can find them too. also the 2 campaign boxes have a bunch of new squadrons and upgrades and stuff you can use in normal games.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Actually speaking on Armada, I've been buying into a bunch of both Rebels and Imperials lately so I don't have to rely on my friends buying in and can just loan them a fleet any time we play. What would people say are the most important ships to have for each faction, both for the ships themselves and upgrade cards?

Take a look at https://cannotgetyourshipout.blogspot.com/ they have good discussions about all the ships and upgrade cards in the game. Full disclosure, they two guys who update that site play at my FLGS, but they are very knowledgeable.

For Imperials, the must haves are as follows:
1-2 Gozanti - flotillas are limited to two, but they are cheap activation padding, and can activate squadrons efficiently
1 ISD (first version) - the cornerstone of a lot of lists, and if you play Imperials, the whole reason you got into the game
1 Gladiator - Demolisher is the whole reason to bring a gladiator. And the reason they will never get any significant improvement

For Imperials, the useful to have:
1 Quasar - great carrier for pushing squadrons. But more fragile than a medium ship with 6 hull appears to be.
1 Interdictor - it’s a tough ship to kill, and the interdictor specific upgrade cards let you mess with the board layout and put your opponent on their heels right off the bat.
2-3 Arquitens - surprisingly resilient for small ships, especially if you keep them at long range to Chuck those red dice. You probably want to field more than one at a time.
1 Chimera ISD - the new ISD cards are also really good. As a bonus, it comes with 3 copies of the new layouts (for use with the first version), so you definitely don’t need more than one of these.

And that leaves:
VSD - VSDs can be built to be passable carriers, or a mini ISD. Their movement template really hinders them, so you need to get them some help maneuvering. A second VSD isn’t terrible, but other ships should be bought first.
Raiders - Raiders can punch way above their point costs. But needing to be at close range makes them very hard to use properly. They are very fragile, and with a lot of the meta being big ships with large attack pools, they tend to get vaporized before they do anything terribly useful.
SSD - It’s most of a list all on its own. It’s a good ship, and not just a gimmick. But at $200, you probably want to buy the 5-6 other ships you could afford at that price point.

Imperial Upgrades:
Most of the commanders are useful and have a place in a viable list. About the only imperial commanders that are not worthwhile are Admiral Konstantine (Interdictor), and General Tagge (Gozanti). You should be able to get any you don’t have for a reasonable price off eBay, as there is no reason to own more than one. There are some useful imperial specific crew upgrades, but covering them would take awhile.

Must have Rebel ships:
1-2 medium transports - same reason as Gozanti. A bit more important, as the rebels don’t have a dedicated carrier like the Quasar.
Home One MC80 - the biggest ship the rebels can currently field (about to change at any time with the release of the next wave). Its not quite the offensive powerhouse that an ISD is, but can be built to tank an obscene amount of damage.
Liberty MC80 - a more straightforward large base rebel ship. Point the front where you want the damage to go. Put engine techs on it for the only large base ship that can go a pretend speed 4.
Hammerheads - very cheap and resilient. They are slightly better filler than CR90s. Keep their upgrades cheap, get their couple of shots in, then get them out of there.

Useful Rebel ships:
Pelta - Fleet commands can be really strong, especially if you field a lot of smaller ships like the rebels sometimes want to do. Currently the only viable way for rebels to use them (There is a CR90 title that lets you use a fleet command once the whole game)
MC30 - the rebel equivalent of the Gladiator. Can unload a crazy amount of black dice at a target. Doesn’t have the demolisher title, but the Admonition title (and Lando crew) let it survive attacks that would take out larger ships.
MC75 - a slightly smaller Home One MC80. Not quite as powerful or resilient, but fixes the glaring problem of Home One. It mounts decent guns on the front arc. Your opponent can park something small in the front arc and keep it pinned down like the MC80.

That leaves:
CR90 - while better than Raiders (these want to stay a long range where they are more survivable), they still tend to get killed in a single strong hit. Lists used to have swarms of these, but it just doesn’t happen much anymore.
Nebulon B - Basically used for the Yavaris title, which is bonkers with the right squadrons.
Assault Frigate - tries to do a bit of everything, so it doesn’t excel at anything. Costs a bit too much once outfitted for a specific job. Can be made to work well with Ackbar.

The rebel commanders are also generally useful. Just avoid Sato (by the time you have enough squadrons to use his ability, you don’t really have many points left for ships), and Leia (too expensive to make command dials slightly better).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

Na. They cant flush every game they have. That would look even worse than whatever fat trimming they're doing now. Just because it doesn't pull X-wing numbers doesnt mean its not profitable.

There's a former ANA employee in the reddit FFG layoff thread who answered a LOT of questions about internal FFG stuff. Wish I could have seen more before it was edited, but there's still good stuff there.
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/elfkbq/massive_layoffs_at_ffg/
User is wrightsparrow

quote:

The Marvel license is going to do great both Crisis Protocol and Champions are great games on their heads though (the creation of Atomic Mass studios was I think one of the better moves recently) but at the same time the Infinity Saga hype is on the downswing as they got the license

SW is a rocky fandom right now but hopefully new ships and characters from IX and Mandalorian will boost some lines. Look for a big Armada push soon since X2 isn't carrying the water like it did, Destiny is effectively dead, ImpAssault also dead

Agot they only have the book license so until George writes another one they've literally done everything they can

The biggest issue with the licenses is the amount of back-and-forth approval steps (especially with Disney) and the sales promises that have to be made to get the deals (international licensing is a whole other can of worms)

quote:

I mean it in two ways

The company was started by a bunch of nerds who didn't know what they were doing so a lot of processes were super inefficient, especially when the senior staff left and things were left without knowledge or guidance

And the company is answering to the group of investors that own them, with the folks in charge on the ground are pushing for more and more beancounting

They severely underpay for the work they ask, and use the fact that you're in the game industry to try and make up with it, but they underpaid and overstressed a lot of excellent senior staff members so they just dipped

The push from the corporate overlords also disregards a lot of good work being done in creative roles - the designers like Corey who want to try new things are pushed to reinvent the wheel, sales people and marketing guys who are good with clients and customers are pushed out for those who bring in the faster revenue.

They lost their core values a while ago, I'm afraid - if I had any advice it would be to not let the machine get so good at selling games that it forgets how to make them

Star Wars Outer Rim:

quote:

Outer Rim is such a great game I wish it were selling better

I mean it's doing fine and iirc there's an expansion planned for 21 but it's not a priority project

Twilight Imperium is here forever

quote:

TI cracks the Top 50 products across all ANA lines (FFG, Zman, Plaid Hat, Catan, Matagot, Repos, etc) so while I understand your fear I would be suuuuuuper surprised

quote:

Fun fact! Twilight Imperium has the highest attachment rate (sales with/per) for expansions of any game in the Asmodee catalog!

They would be fools not to make a TI4 expansion! Especially since they already have things from TI3 that the fanbase wants included!

Gee it would be great if that came out really soon

(Brought to you by the not completely abusing my insider knowledge gang)

A week before the Destiny announcement:

quote:

Destiny is MIA Keyforge is Too Big To Fail, they're working on a full integration of RPG and boardgames - they have budgeted for KF to carry the day

quote:

I am probably skirting some confidentially agreement stuff here and I'm not unidentifiable on this account by a long shot so I'm gonna not confirm or deny anything else about Destiny

I can tell you all the employees loving love that game though

X-Wing/Armada

quote:

Xwing and Armada are doing fine and likely will continue to do so (Armada doesn't sell a ton but it's super steady)

I wouldn't worry about those two at the very least
X-Wing

quote:

If the player base is happy that's good news No reprinting old plastic in 2020 is the plan Should be seeing some new ships from IX and books and flushing out the clone era with some cartoon ships

Something cool happening with Descent:

quote:

You're going to be super excited about what's next with Descent, maybe?

I probably can't say much out of respect for confidentiality agreements but the plans for that line are really cool (gotta compete with Gloomhaven somehow)

Legion:

quote:

It's got a real nice profit margin👌

quote:

Still going strong afaik, time will tell if upping the quality/price of plastics will work out

Old core box is on the way out, clone wars box is the new entry point.

L5R

quote:

If they let it grow it will

It's settling into a nice groove if they keep feeding it. It was hard cracking into the LCG scene at first but it's at peak size now and the RPG is building interest. Battle for Rokugan had its license expire and is inactive product now so not sure on the boardgame front

This is my favorite IP so it is near and dear to my heart

If I said they were planning on doing a revised core that would maybe be saying too much but wow what a great idea that would be

RPGs:

quote:

My guess is RPGs on the whole aren't making the money corporate expects from a product line

Even with the FFG/Genesys model of custom dice and a half dozen sourcebooks a year the profitability just isn't there compared to other lines. Books themselves have a low overhead so to you cut costs you have to cut creative talent

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
"They severely underpay for the work they ask, and use the fact that you're in the game industry to try and make up with it" is pretty close to what the title of a TG thread about working in the games industry should be, if there isn't one already.

"SW is a rocky fandom right now" is an interesting line; I wonder if the rocky fandom really worries FFG's bean counters or if Star Wars fans are always going to eat up Star Wars stuff no matter what and just like to complain - in other words, just like any other fandom.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

"SW is a rocky fandom right now" is an interesting line; I wonder if the rocky fandom really worries FFG's bean counters or if Star Wars fans are always going to eat up Star Wars stuff no matter what and just like to complain - in other words, just like any other fandom.
We're literally discussing a SW product that failed because it's fans didn't eat it up no matter what. And it's not the only one.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

quote:

Destiny is MIA Keyforge is Too Big To Fail, they're working on a full integration of RPG and boardgames - they have budgeted for KF to carry the day
I really don't know who would be interested in running/playing a Keyforge RPG campaign. The actual setting of Keyforge is so generic and slapped together. It's just a bunch of different aliens/creatures from different dimensions or something. Really weird how someone would look at that setting and go, "wow, it's so deep and rich!"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

canyoneer posted:

There's a former ANA employee in the reddit FFG layoff thread who answered a LOT of questions about internal FFG stuff. Wish I could have seen more before it was edited, but there's still good stuff there.
Well I feel justified in having bought a couple of Imperial Assault expansions after posting there...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

I really don't know who would be interested in running/playing a Keyforge RPG campaign. The actual setting of Keyforge is so generic and slapped together. It's just a bunch of different aliens/creatures from different dimensions or something. Really weird how someone would look at that setting and go, "wow, it's so deep and rich!"

Yeah, I don't get it either.

You have elf thieves, forest beasts, little green men from mars, warcraft paladins, Roman dinosaurs, star trek, netrunner tech society, mtg red mana beasts, and demons. It's not groundbreaking.

I think the most original would have to be the Roman dinosaurs which I like because of the utter weirdness of it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I mean, it’s like anything else in that it will be good if someone cares to make it good. This, however, just seems like a transparent attempt to find more ways for people to spend money on Keyforge.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

LifeLynx posted:

"They severely underpay for the work they ask, and use the fact that you're in the game industry to try and make up with it" is pretty close to what the title of a TG thread about working in the games industry should be, if there isn't one already.

Is there a single industry in the US where people aren't being underpaid or overworked and given a set of ridiculous expectations by suits who don't understand anything except that more profits and less costs = better than?

Re: Star Wars, it does seem anecdotally that toy and merchandise stuff hasn't been as popular for the last few movies. Like the big box retailers near me barely bothered for episode 9.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The new films added so little from the toy perspective. Like each of the OT or PT movies made sure to add lots of new spaceships or cool vehicles that could absolutely be turned into toys. By sticking to basically just the original designs there's nothing really 'new'. For original ships there's what...the Resurgant class, the Silencer...Strikers from Rogue One?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Eimi posted:

The new films added so little from the toy perspective. Like each of the OT or PT movies made sure to add lots of new spaceships or cool vehicles that could absolutely be turned into toys. By sticking to basically just the original designs there's nothing really 'new'. For original ships there's what...the Resurgant class, the Silencer...Strikers from Rogue One?
I have to agree. The new trilogy was really scared of changing any of the old ships or adding anything fresh. It was pretty boring in that regard.
Why not add a new "Letter-Wing"? Some of the fun of X-Wing is discovering the weird letter ships from other games/books.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Like gently caress the only kinda unique ship was the resistance bombee

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Eh I don't think it's fandom driving their sales at all. A majority of people I play Xwing with aren't playing it because it's Star Wars, and they love the universe. It's because there's not much us out there that does what it does even remotely. Likewise with Legion, it just a really nice system to go head to head with someone with. The core of both groups is 50% long time wargamers who have made it their core game and first time wargamers who saw an accessible entry point and the Star Wars hook was there to really help them into the game.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think X-Wing is in fact the fifth system released to use the same basic mechanics, but changed up damage resolution a bit and generally tightened things up. People are definitely playing it because they like Star Wars. The only reason I played it was because I was buying ship models I liked while already owning two different versions of the same rules.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Are you referring to Wings of Glory? Because X-wing's dials are vastly superior to the card decks its predecessors used, as well as having actions and ships that actually felt different. The Star Wars name helped but it saying it merely 'tightened things up a bit' is super disingenuous. X-wing isn't even the first pre-painted SW spaceship game, but it's the one that stuck around for almost a decade because the other one was bad and being called Star Wars isn't enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I really wish Ares Games had licensed the flight path system for its BSG game. The miniatures for that are great, on par with FFGs, but the movement cards deck is so terrible.