Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hav posted:

Otoh, if they pivot quickly, they could make the most amazing goat simulator in space station 13; but it wouldn’t be worth half a billion clams.

An FPS Space Station 13 game would be worth way more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Quavers posted:

Feature Updates
Locations
Added footsteps on wood sound effects at appropriate locations in Area18.

When your patch notes include this minutiae you have lost the plot. lol

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inacio posted:

(...)
someone buy it and spraypaint it to make it Elite: Dangerous themed

I won't lie, if I had enough money, I'd do it.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Virtual Captain posted:

When your patch notes include this minutiae you have lost the plot. lol

Notice how it says "specifically" in Area 18. Meaning anywhere else the sounds of steps on wood might still be broken (and probably are).

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Notice how it says "specifically" in Area 18. Meaning anywhere else the sounds of steps on wood might still be broken (and probably are).

Which would indiate, rather than setting the sound as a property of the material, they set the sound based on the region people are walking in....

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

In a real shop that is must be a 5-10 min job not worthy of anything more than maybe marking as fixed in some internal list. For CIG its 2-3 weeks worth of work for a team of interns.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

I won't lie, if I had enough money, I'd do it.

just don't buy a ship this week

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Virtual Captain posted:

In a real shop that is must be a 5-10 min job not worthy of anything more than maybe marking as fixed in some internal list. For CIG its 2-3 weeks worth of work for a team of interns.

At the end of those 2-3 weeks they are senior programmers.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Agony Aunt posted:

Which would indiate, rather than setting the sound as a property of the material, they set the sound based on the region people are walking in....

the realization that that must be true just left me very uncomfortable

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Inacio posted:

Show us on the sound board where the bad man touched you.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

SabinBlitz posted:

Show us on the sound board where the bad man touched you.

"PAAAAARP"

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Posting on this most Hallowed of numbered pages about a video game money laundering scam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ1JhlO2j-g

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Inacio posted:

just don't buy a ship this week

If we stop buying ships the dream also stops.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Aramoro posted:

An FPS Space Station 13 game would be worth way more than that.

BYOND barfs if you press three buttons I have no idea how you would make an FPS in it.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Subnautica has sold over 5 million copies

Meanwhile, the Best drat Space Sim Ever has sold less than two.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inacio posted:

Indeed, and we don't even understand software development!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Inacio posted:

at least he can buy an ugly (probably nonfunctional, just like the game) keyboard with His signature!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Citizen-Horizon-Saitek-Gaming-Keyboard-PROTOTYPE-LIMITED-EDITION-/164022804528

someone buy it and spraypaint it to make it Elite: Dangerous themed

Its not even RGB, what a scam!
Oh wait

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Inacio posted:

poor Citizen is sad that a prototype display piece for the greatest drat space sim ever sold for 53 bongdollars. feefees hurt

at least he can buy an ugly (probably nonfunctional, just like the game) keyboard with His signature!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Citizen-Horizon-Saitek-Gaming-Keyboard-PROTOTYPE-LIMITED-EDITION-/164022804528

Yeah apparently that sold for over £205 around the same time.

Now going for around £344 Brexit pounds

(Although they listed it in December for £229 & then £203 and didn't get any takers...)

:reddit: posted:

That thing is going to be worth so much in 15 years

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Anybody here arrogant enough to underline their signature?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

iron buns posted:

This just proves how undervalued and full of potential the space sim market really is and that all it needs is a fantastic entry in the genre for it to become hugely popular.

I mean, underwater is basically like space, right? And Star Citizen is gonna have underwater planets full of unique, procedurally generated biomes and sealife!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dooguk posted:

~~~~~~~LOWTAX DELENDA EST~~~~~~~

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

iron buns posted:

Hell, Stardew Valley has sold over 3.5 million copies(Not counting 2019) with a sole developer raking in the profits.

I'm honestly surprised that over the years, big name developers have abandoned their attempts at a space game despite the market lacking a AAA user-friendly space game in the same vein as Freelancer.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Dooguk posted:

Do italics count?

Monkeytek

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

monkeytek posted:

Do italics count?

Monkeytek

Don't sign you're posts.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Tetrabor posted:

Hell, Stardew Valley has sold over 3.5 million copies(Not counting 2019) with a sole developer raking in the profits.

I'm honestly surprised that over the years, big name developers have abandoned their attempts at a space game despite the market lacking a AAA user-friendly space game in the same vein as Freelancer.

It’s strange that someone hasn’t done it. ED is probably as close as we’ll get to a modern AAA space sim for a while, but that game was made on a middling budget and it shows. But maybe they think the numbers just aren’t there, even COD:IW underperformed by series standards, and the rest of the genre usually hangs around 2-3 million sales.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Starfield. If the rumors are true, it’s development is way behind schedule because Bethesda can’t get spaceflight to work in its ramshackle Creation engine (a big surprise). Maybe they’ll scrap the space stuff entirely and just have an on foot sci-fi RPG like The Outer Worlds. Mass Effect:Andromeda was originally going to have procedural planets and some light space flight, but it was scraped due to time constraints and their inability to actually make all of that procedural nothingness fun.

The sad part about Star Citizen is that no one is ever going to be given 300 million dollars to make a space sim again; and we’re only left to imagine what competent devs could have done with all of that money and 8 years.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 15, 2020

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

colonelwest posted:

It’s strange that someone hasn’t done it. ED is probably as close as we’ll get to a modern AAA space sim for a while, but that game was made on a middling budget and it shows. But maybe they think the numbers just aren’t there, even COD:IW underperformed by series standards, and the rest of the genre usually hangs around 2-3 million sales.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Starfield. If the rumors are true, it’s development is way behind schedule because Bethesda can’t get spaceflight to work in its ramshackle Creation engine (a big surprise). Maybe they’ll scrap the space stuff entirely and just have an on foot sci-fi RPG like The Outer Worlds. Mass Effect:Andromeda was originally going to have procedural planets and some light space flight, but it was scraped due to time constraints and their inability to actually make all of that procedural nothingness fun.

The sad part about Star Citizen is that no one is ever going to be given 300 million dollars to make a space sim again; and we’re only left to imagine what competent devs could have done with all of that money and 8 years.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 seems to be stuck in development forever as well.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

colonelwest posted:

Cyberwitcher in space with whole milky way procedurally generated from scientific data plus few hundred properly designed and balanced ships plus proper landing on planets, walking and driving and player made market. Also with time travel.
And hookers.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

#ReleaseTheSandi

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

colonelwest posted:

Honest questioning here:

What would this look like? Are we just surprised that Activision hasn't made ED yet? There's been a lot of space games, or games in space. And ED / EVE already exist so there's probably not a ton of lift in making them again? Are we expecting big name studios to do something different from IW? Keep in mind stuff like Allegiance were considered to be flops when they were published. I just genuinely wonder what people want?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

SoftNum posted:

Honest questioning here:

What would this look like? Are we just surprised that Activision hasn't made ED yet? There's been a lot of space games, or games in space. And ED / EVE already exist so there's probably not a ton of lift in making them again? Are we expecting big name studios to do something different from IW? Keep in mind stuff like Allegiance were considered to be flops when they were published. I just genuinely wonder what people want?

For me it would be basically Star Citizen’s original/doable pitch, before Chris promised every type of gameplay imaginable and that every atom would be fully simulated.

So something along the lines of a bigger budgeted ED, with more handcrafted/story content, more varied and deeply simulated ships, large enough battles that orgs could fight for territory with specialized roles, and maybe some light FPS stuff. Just something that feels like a modern progression of the genre, instead of a remastered game from the late 90’s.

There are bunch of great indie games that have individually brought bits and pieces of this to life, but you would need a larger studio and budget to bring it all together into a single game.

But the economics of doing that probably don’t make sense, and we’re likely to only see stuff like BGE2 and Starfield, RPGs with some light arcadey space flight thrown in

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

G0RF posted:

I agree that shoddy demos were almost always good enough to share with the citizenry. Except at CitCon 2016.

Chris never even planned to show Squadron at CitCon 2016 —but he needed people to think otherwise because he’d already hyped Squadron so much before the show. He needed a plausible out. That’s what The Road to CitizenCon was all about — creating a “we got so close” narrative for a demo Chris and Erin never planned to show at CitCon.

It was a few weeks before Infinite Warfare released, and Infinity Ward had already released their vertical slice of a Wing Commander game at E3. Devs at Foundry we’re reportedly “devastated” to see just how slick and superior it was to the mess Chris was hacking together. Meanwhile over in the states, Ben Lesnick himself was absolutely jazzed about that E3 slice, “It’s nice to see what a Modern Wing Commander game might really look like!” Oops.

It’s also worth remembering that Chris had already picked a fight with Call of Duty in 2015 when he said Squadron would be “like a Call of Duty game but better because we’ve got a much bigger campaign.” But less than a year later Call of Duty shocked the hell out of him by revealing that their next game was, in fact, a war story in space with FPS AND dogfighting missions. Despite his hubris, Chris knew his Squadron slice would get torn to pieces if he showed it then, and IW would be the best way to destroy it. (Goons were chomping at the bit for exactly that fight heading up to CitCon 2016, as was Derek, and Chris and Sandi were furious at the non-stop barrage being thrown their way back then...)

They bailed, popped out a big worm instead, then dropped Road to CitCon to silence the whiners. (Pretty well played considering their hand.)

Despite the COD fanboy backlash and the middling 13 million units sold, Infinite Warfare was for all practical purposes filling the market gap Squadron was supposed to fill. And better than Chris could hope to fill it.

There was no game then, and there’s not much more than that 4 years and 9 figures later.

#FreethenewSQ42narrative

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Eve Online but you get to directly control your ship. Maybe allow for space legs but I don't know how much that would actually add without making the game over complex or full of boring time sinks.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Cyberwitcher in space with whole milky way procedurally generated from scientific data plus few hundred properly designed and balanced ships plus proper landing on planets, walking and driving and player made market. Also with time travel.
And hookers.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
My opinion is space games are hard to do well, just huge expanses you have to try fill with content and no way to artificially limit the players that won't feel contrived and MP just adds more problems.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

jarlywarly posted:

My opinion is space games are hard to do well, just huge expanses you have to try fill with content and no way to artificially limit the players that won't feel contrived and MP just adds more problems.

Slap eve-o and e:d together and you have it.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

IcarusUpHigh posted:

#ReleaseTheSandi

Who is the sacrificial virgin that will be eaten choked out?

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Popete posted:

Maybe allow for space legs but I don't know how much that would actually add without making the game over complex or full of boring time sinks.

I feel like Space-Legs and ship interiors are pointless unless the one of the main focuses of your space game is Boarding Parties.

That's why I laughed when SC said ship-boarding would be a very small part of the game yet they decided to build these complex interiors that you'll only use when you're exiting your ship.

I'd love some Expanse style exosuit gameplay though!

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
with not much happening these days in starcitizenland and in this here hate-thread it feels like the show is over somehow. which leads me to this question:

did clown emporium win or did we win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think being able to walk around in your ship is kinda novel. I agree it doesn't really add anything and if you have sufficiently large space ships (such as Eve) it makes even less sense and quickly becomes unmanageable.

In theory it sounds cool but it's not a requirement for any space game I'd want to play. It's more of an immersion thing, but it shouldn't detract from the gameplay.