Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Crowetron posted:

I liked that Vega was doing his AI thing of trying to be helpful at all times because that's all he's programmed to do. He's not an evil SHODAN knock-off or a wise-cracking robo sidekick. He's just Clippy for killing demons.

If Clippy could have regrets.

Really looking forward to seeing what his role will be in Eternal. Alternatively, if they somehow forget/underplay the hook they left with the backup, I may break something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
hey

is that the soul cube talking in that trailer btw

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
  • Bethesda interviewed some modder about his thing. Dude seems enthusiastic enough, he'll probably go places.
  • New footage of the mod Treasure Tech, which is basically "What if Doom, but Wario Land 4?"

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I’m trying to figure out what classic Doom music this is based on.
https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/1217160306608111616

JerryLee posted:

If Clippy could have regrets.

Really looking forward to seeing what his role will be in Eternal. Alternatively, if they somehow forget/underplay the hook they left with the backup, I may break something.
VEGA was in the "Hell Core" demo they've been showing since E3 talking about reprogramming an escape shuttle to fly to Mars, looks like he'll continue to be the calm voice inside your head telling you things.

ETPC posted:

hey

is that the soul cube talking in that trailer btw
The raspy female voice talking about sacrificing others? That's probably the angel-looking character, who's apparently part of a species called The Maykr that we're probably going to be de-winging at a rate that would make Colonel Sanders raise an impressed eyebrow.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
i am so pumped for doom eternal, but i was thinking the other day about procedural games and how none of them are any good

and then it hit me: the best procedural game of all time is teleglitch, and it isn't really even close

and that game, due to how it did its levels and arenas, could be made 3d in a way that is pretty reasonable (think strafe but not bad)

someone plz make this

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As a person who likes a lot of procedural games, and absoltely loves Teleglitch, I gotta say that's a pretty rare take. Shine on, you crazy nutter.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I just looked up Teleglitch and that game looks like absolute trash what the hell?

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
teleglitch fuckin whips rear end

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Teleglitch owns a lot but it can be super brutal and it goes for a certain aesthetic which can be hard to read for some.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yah IMO teleglitch was pretty choice. If you don't mind top-down stuff, a lot of the weapon sounds/feel and the color palette and even just the tense exploring are in the wheelhouse for folks that enjoy retro FPS.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't mind top down games but from all the footage I could comb through it looks slow, ugly, and impossible to read. Like, people kept walking into things that suddenly open that I only then realized were supposed to be doors and every enemy looked like an unidentifiable blob. Also the way it did weird shadows to block line of sight made actually figuring out what a room looked like kind of nightmarish. I dunno, I guess I'm the minority or I'll like it more if I tried it but that game looked like the jankiest unfun poo poo at a glance.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Nah, Teleglitch is top shelf roguelike and pretty much the closest thing to Doom and Quake/2 in a non-FPS format. It's 75% off right now so you might as well try it.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

GUI posted:

That "cutscene" with Olivia is like 30 seconds long tops.

The only ones that are somewhat annoying are the two Hayden ones where he gives you the first argent power-up and the other half-way through in his office and it's because of how slowly he speaks and keeps droning on.

The Olivia bit also has a small Tim & Eric Easter egg hidden in it too, so is worth it.

The plot is hilarious and firmly tongue in cheek. I love the corporate speak codex entries for the creatures and areas.

Doom 4 posted:

If there is no obvious escape route and you have powered down your equipment, give yourself over to the demon willingly. Studies have shown that infuriating a demon by running away can cause additional frustration in the predator, and that may result in your body being too badly mutilated for useful post mortem study. Simply kneel down, close your eyes, and wait. Remember you can be as useful in death as you are in life.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

The Kins posted:

[list]
[*]Bethesda interviewed some modder about his thing. Dude seems enthusiastic enough, he'll probably go places.
:hmmyes: "E1M1 is pretty nice."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Invisible Inc is actually the best procedural game but Teleglitch is pretty high up there if what you’re looking for is someone’s spiritual take on Westwood’s unsung Gauntlet clone Nox.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh how I loved Nox...
more than Diablo, in fact.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nox is a better game than Diablo2 in almost every regard, excepting the only ones that mattered in the end: Marketing/Hype, and The ability to sink a thousand hours into it grinding the same content. That they where released two weeks from each other was a total disaster, RIP Nox you where too good for us.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I need to pick up Nox on GOG at some point. When I was a kid I loved watching my dad play it.

I really liked Teleglitch, but I never got far.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Teleglitch is playing Doom from the map, but it's Quake, but it's a roguelite.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Serephina posted:

Nox is a better game than Diablo2 in almost every regard, excepting the only ones that mattered in the end: Marketing/Hype, and The ability to sink a thousand hours into it grinding the same content. That they where released two weeks from each other was a total disaster, RIP Nox you where too good for us.

What nox was rear end

very fun but rear end

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nox's multiplayer was like top down Overwatch. It was the first time I recall all the now-typical modern multiplayer class features which makes sense coming from the company that defined the modern RTS. A real skill based game and they quoted Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament as inspiration for the design.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

al-azad posted:

Invisible Inc is actually the best procedural game but Teleglitch is pretty high up there if what you’re looking for is someone’s spiritual take on Westwood’s unsung Gauntlet clone Nox.

Yes, thank you.

Invisible Inc is waaaaay better than even Klei is giving it credit for, and it really needs to be ported.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJr8yI-q8AA

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Glagha posted:

I just looked up Teleglitch and that game looks like absolute trash what the hell?

Nah friend Teleglitch absolutely slaps, and I HATE procedurally generated garbage roguelike fuckoff poo poo games.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Teleglitch is playing Doom from the map, but it's Quake, but it's a roguelite.

It's this. It's awesome. One of my fav indie games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You guys are selling me Teleglitch so hard that I'll have to get it this evening...

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
I forgot that invisible inc was procedural which is probably an indication of how good it is

I still maintain that teleglitch is fuckin aaaaaaaweeeeesome and should be remade as a FPS because it would work really really well

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

al-azad posted:

Nox's multiplayer was like top down Overwatch. It was the first time I recall all the now-typical modern multiplayer class features which makes sense coming from the company that defined the modern RTS. A real skill based game and they quoted Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament as inspiration for the design.

The multiplayer kicked rear end.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tim Thomas posted:

I forgot that invisible inc was procedural which is probably an indication of how good it is

I still maintain that teleglitch is fuckin aaaaaaaweeeeesome and should be remade as a FPS because it would work really really well

Strafe is that game :grin:

I'm joking, Strafe sucks.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Strafe is that game :grin:
I'm joking, Strafe sucks.

Tim Thomas posted:

and that game, due to how it did its levels and arenas, could be made 3d in a way that is pretty reasonable (think strafe but not bad)

Tim Thomas posted:

could be made 3d in a way that is pretty reasonable (think strafe but not bad)

Tim Thomas posted:

(think strafe but not bad)

i'm just joshin but MAN strafe should have been so so much better!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It definitely had potential and I don't mind the graphic style but the enemies, weapon sounds and maps are meh.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

It definitely had potential and I don't mind the graphic style but the enemies, weapon sounds and maps are meh.

Yeah I liked Strafe but it is really mediocre compared to what I hoped it would be.

Teleglitch on the other hand is fun, but agressively difficult. Also for all the talk of how it's like Doom and Quake to a degree, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it also being a lot like System Shock in tone.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Guillermus posted:

You guys are selling me Teleglitch so hard that I'll have to get it this evening...

Teleglitch would be real good if the enemies weren't unreadable blobs

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Teleglitch is playing Doom from the map, but it's Quake & System Shock & Half-Life, but it's a roguelite.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Teleglitch would be real good if the enemies weren't unreadable blobs

:wrong:

teleglitch is an ugly game about ugly things and it fuckin slaps

i get that people don't like the art style but i struggle with the concept that people can't differentiate between the monsters

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Teleglitch is playing Doom from the map, but it's Quake & System Shock & Half-Life, but it's a roguelite.

right, which is why it would loving punish to just play not from the map

maybe i should try to code it for gzdoom? who fuckin knows

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I find it hard to play for the same reasons I find it beautiful, I just can't handle playing it in 2D. 3D Teleglitch would be a hell of a thing, and probably easier to parse. I'm not saying DO IT, but

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
if that rumored reboot of quake being done by machinegames is real and in active development, i hope they taking a very close look at teleglitch in terms of Vibe

teleglitch is a precursor to dusk, imho

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The worst part of wolfenstein is the gameplay so I hope machine games doesn’t make quake.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Eh, they have at least three good Quake mappers working there, and DOPA was quite fine as a retro-ish episode. Maybe if they made a modern Quake they would fail to translate their skills but I would definitely be at least optimistically curious to see what they would do.

(Not that I think such a reboot actually is happening. I think there were just some wishful-thinking comments from a dude.)

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
quake is....

hm.

i like quake more for the insane mods that it begat and the fabulous games that used the engine more than the game itself.

like i can name at least five quake-engined games i like better than quake

edit: hm it appears that i am wrong and that most of the five i'm thinking of (Half-Life, SiN, Kingpin, Soldier of Fortune, Hexen II) are Q2 engine :(

edit edit: yes i know that HL is goldsrc but you know what i mean :(:(

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 15, 2020

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i want a intense character study/military cosmic horror sci-fi of what constant teleportation through countless nightmarish realms does to someone tbqh

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ah, a character study of gamers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

ETPC posted:

i want a intense character study/military cosmic horror sci-fi of what constant teleportation through countless nightmarish realms does to someone tbqh

event horizon exists, tho?