Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Probably dealing with CHUD spam from the Project Veritas idiocy. They won't stay locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

oxsnard posted:

yeah gently caress okeefe but this tweet is true

I recommend not worrying about something that some shithead liar is telling you is important

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Darko posted:

He tried to make nice multiple times, including attempting to shake her hand.

I used to defend Warren's Native American thing, having related (due to half of my family being from Oklahoma and claiming Native too, so I get oral traditions)

I grew up in Oklahoma too, and I went to school with a few Native people who belonged to a tribe and were active in it and they were all pretty cool. I went to school with a ton of white people who had family legends and if you asked about it they would tell you that they have a Chippewa relative way back or whatever, but you wouldn't know about it unless you asked them because it wasn't a part of their life. And I went to school with white people who made that legend part of their identity and pretended to be Native themselves and they were all as self-centered and insufferable as you'd expect from the kind of white person with a need to seem different.

That she was still the third thing into her sixties is a huge red flag. I used to say we shouldn't care as long as she's attacking banks because personal stuff is irrelevant (although I changed my mind once she did that dumb blood test proving she learned nothing and that she's a liar who will lose to Trump in a landslide), but now I've learned that you can't ignore that poo poo, if someone is doing hosed up stuff in their personal life they'll probably cause problems professionally too.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LinYutang posted:

Every man has said words that they didn't believe to be sexist, but are received and experienced as such. Intent is not a magic wand. Apologizing for it shows maturity and understanding.

Okay but do you understand the difference between "yes I said X but I didn't intend for it to be sexist therefore it wasn't" and "no I didn't say X" ?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Lemming posted:

I recommend not worrying about something that some shithead liar is telling you is important

I am curious as to why, though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

CPColin posted:

My favorite part about the (general) election is that, if somebody I don't like ends up getting the nomination, I can just leave that bubble blank, because I live in California and the Electoral College exists.

This is also my least favorite part about the election.

De La Riva exists and presumably is running again.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

I grew up in Oklahoma too, and I went to school with a few Native people who belonged to a tribe and were active in it and they were all pretty cool. I went to school with a ton of white people who had family legends and if you asked about it they would tell you that they have a Chippewa relative way back or whatever, but you wouldn't know about it unless you asked them because it wasn't a part of their life. And I went to school with white people who made that legend part of their identity and pretended to be Native themselves and they were all as self-centered and insufferable as you'd expect from the kind of white person with a need to seem different.

That she was still the third thing into her sixties is a huge red flag. I used to say we shouldn't care as long as she's attacking banks because personal stuff is irrelevant (although I changed my mind once she did that dumb blood test proving she learned nothing and that she's a liar who will lose to Trump in a landslide), but now I've learned that you can't ignore that poo poo, if someone is doing hosed up stuff in their personal life they'll probably cause problems professionally too.

She fooled everyone, even Bernie. Good thing the bad people are so bad at being bad.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Would you go to QAnon facebook pages and try to figure out the genesis of every psycho conspiracy theory they're all braying about? No? Then why do the same with this shithead? It's going to be literally nothing and it won't be relevant to anyone for any reason, and he's going to drop it as soon as it doesn't work

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It is incredible that in 2011 Warren actually made the argument that protesters never ever have a right to violate traffic laws:

quote:

The law applies to everyone. Wall Street protesters should be held accountable if they engage in illegal activity — and so should Wall Street banks. There is no excuse for protesters to violate public safety laws — and no excuse for powerful financial institutions to defraud their customers or investors.

https://www.politico.com/story/2011/12/where-is-wall-street-accountability-069994

And sure, you can argue she's just using the right to protest as a rhetorical device and she just plumb forgot about the civil rights movement. But the conclusion is the same, she has never been an ally.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Trabisnikof posted:

It is incredible that in 2011 Warren actually made the argument that protesters never ever have a right to violate traffic laws:

And sure, you can argue she's just using the right to protest as a rhetorical device and she just plumb forgot about the civil rights movement. But the conclusion is the same, she has never been an ally.

lmao this is the same time period where she was claiming responsibility for Occupy.

jfc

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

ASAPRockySituation posted:

It's easier to attack Bernie by attacking his associates.

After last night, they probably want to lock down and make sure there's absolutely nothing that could be misinterpreted and tortured into a reading that supports the narrative that Bernie hates women because a coordinator prefers the original Ghostbusters.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LinYutang posted:

Bernie could have defanged the whole thing by preemptively apologizing and strongly condemning sexism. Instead his comms team bungled this up and his supporters collectively look like they are mansplaining how women perceive and experience sexism.

LinYutang posted:

Every man has said words that they didn't believe to be sexist, but are received and experienced as such. Intent is not a magic wand. Apologizing for it shows maturity and understanding.

Bernie's campaign had the option to draw down tensions and refocus on the positives (like, say, his actual popularity among women). But now his team's reaction basically ensured a nasty debate (one of the last impactful events before the Iowa caucus), and will ensure that the news cycle is focused on this "feud" during the most critical period when Iowans are deciding.

Deliberately misconstruing and skewing the context of what happened might work on your average suburbanite soccer mom but in here we all watched what happened last night and we're aware of Bernie's history on the topic. Whatever you're doing here isn't working.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

moths posted:

It's easier to attack Bernie by attacking his associates.

After last night, they probably want to lock down and make sure there's absolutely nothing that could be misinterpreted and tortured into a reading that supports the narrative that Bernie hates women because a coordinator prefers the original Ghostbusters.

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking, it’s just interesting that they were all told to lock them. I’m guessing Faiz is having someone comb them because he saw one objectionable tweet and thought there may be more. Other guy is right though, it’s almost certainly nothing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did anyone actually ask Pete about this plan, because what the hell

This is the first I’m hearing of this and it’s total bonkers

Yes he was asked about that, and he basically said that his goal is making it so there's no longer any such thing as an uninsured American, and that won't happen without a mandate, and his mandate will be impossible to avoid.

And the media calls Sanders' plan unpopular lol, there'd be pitchforks and torches in the streets once people started getting retroactive bills for coverage they never bought.

E:

quote:

PHILLIP: Mayor Buttigieg, you're selling your plan as Medicare for all who want it, yet your plan would automatically enroll uninsured Americans into a public option, even if they don't want it, and force them to pay for it. How is that truth in advertising?

BUTTIGIEG: Well, it's making sure that there is no such thing as an uninsured American. Look, the individual mandate was an important part of the ACA because the system doesn't work if there are free riders.

What I'm offering is a choice. You don't have to be in my plan if there's another plan that you would rather keep. And there's no need to kick Americans off the plans that they want in order to deliver health care for all.

And my plan is paid for. Look, our party should no longer hesitate to talk about the issue of the debt and the deficit. Now, we've got a dramatically better track record on it than Republicans do. In my lifetime, it's almost invariably Republican presidents who have added to the deficit, a trillion dollars under this president. And it's why everything I've put forward -- from Medicare for all who want it to the historic investments we're going to make in infrastructure to dealing with climate change -- is fully paid for.

When it comes to health care, you can do it in two moves. Of course, my plan costs $1.5 trillion over a decade. No small sum. But not the $20 trillion, $30 trillion, $40 trillion that we're hearing about from the others. All you've got to do is two things, both of them are commonsense. Allow Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices and roll back the Trump corporate tax cuts that went to corporations and the wealthy that didn't even need it.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/2001/14/se.01.html
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/2001/14/se.02.html

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

SchrodingersCat posted:

So, what is the over/under on how long it takes for Russia to release emails showing that the DNC and the media conspired to gently caress over Bernie, again? July?

Dude the DNC is way too smart for that! You don’t think each email they sent has a disclaimer on the bottom saying that this message is only for the intended recipient?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
lmao Warren is creating left unity

https://twitter.com/AliMortell/status/1217357451730857985?s=20

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

lol that ratio on her own page

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Wtf presidents don't write bills.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Crossposting from the Political Cartoons thread

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

BrianBoitano posted:

lol that ratio on her own page

Her facebook page and twitter are entirely people yelling at her for this. so many people talking about how they thought she could unify the party but they are done with her now. This is going to literally end her campaign.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

DSA anti-electoralists.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

kidkissinger posted:

that internet leftist grim reaper meme is not a loving joke

Edit: Her twitter replies are still entirely snake memes and people posting their receipts for their refunded donations.

This is the stage of person rocking the Coke machine where the Coke machine has clearly fallen on top of them and the cans just slowly sadly rolling out. Mission accomplished! Your campaign is now at the center of the media circus!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

The whole "Yeah, I guess I have some Native American blood! Pretty cool, huh!" thing is super common among middle class white people. Nothing particularly wrong with that, though it does demonstrate a general misunderstanding of what it means to claim tribal heritage.

The thing is that most people don't take it to the level of putting it on their professional licenses, job applications, etc. That is a whole different level of weird that's approaching Rachel Dolezal type appropriation. If I knew someone who did that (without an actual basis in tribal membership or obvious familial relations) I would file them under "weird narcissist."

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

What the gently caress was her endgame? Lose any possible crossover for her in IA? She just guaranteed her loss in IA, NH, NV. What the gently caress was the point of all this?!

She knows how caucuses work, right?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

kidkissinger posted:

Her facebook page and twitter are entirely people yelling at her for this. so many people talking about how they thought she could unify the party but they are done with her now. This is going to literally end her campaign.

Those replies are grim. It's not just people saying that she won't be their second choice anymore - there's a sizable contingent who don't even LIKE Sanders who are saying they were put off by her actions in the debate.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Meanwhile Sanders' social media is almost entirely people saying that they're donating him in light of CNN and Warren trying to slander him.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I remember back in 2014 D&D still had a bunch of reactionary shitheads who would brigade in from GBS every time a man was accused of rape, to strawman #BelieveWomen as a ridiculous sexist mantra that meant women could never lie and every accusation of a man by a woman must be automatically deemed true and the man convicted without evidence. No amount of patient explanation would ever get them to concede that far too often rape accusations are dismissed out of hand and that "believe women" just means that her complaint should be believed the same as every other complaint is believed and investigated in good faith.

It is in-loving-credible that here we are six years later and supposed "progressives" are championing the absurd right-wing strawman made up to discredit #BelieveWomen

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

What the gently caress was her endgame? Lose any possible crossover for her in IA? She just guaranteed her loss in IA, NH, NV. What the gently caress was the point of all this?!

She's already been declared the winner of the debate. 90% of the people who watched aren't going to read any of the follow-up. Her goal was to buy herself a fighting chance of emerging as a feminist icon at the cost of Bernie and his voters. Naked opportunism.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/ClareMalone/status/1217513136846200833?s=19

If you click through to the poll you'll be surprised to find that that's not really what the results say!

Warren had the biggest gain in favorability, apparently, but Bernie and Biden already have such high favorability they basically can't gain on this metric.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Wicked Them Beats posted:

If you click through to the poll you'll be surprised to find that that's not really what the results say!

Warren had the biggest gain in favorability, apparently, but Bernie and Biden already have such high favorability they basically can't gain on this metric.

Bezos lost $10bn this year due to his divorce, whereas I got a raise, therefore I had the better year

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

probably not, she is pretty dumb not being able to count to 30 and all

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Final desperate Hail Mary to sink Bernie because her campaign could see the writing on the wall. Then they hosed it up because Clinton staffers.

VitalSigns posted:

I remember back in 2014 D&D still had a bunch of reactionary shitheads who would brigade in from GBS every time a man was accused of rape, to strawman #BelieveWomen as a ridiculous sexist mantra that meant women could never lie and every accusation of a man by a woman must be automatically deemed true and the man convicted without evidence. No amount of patient explanation would ever get them to concede that far too often rape accusations are dismissed out of hand and that "believe women" just means that her complaint should be believed the same as every other complaint is believed and investigated in good faith.

It is in-loving-credible that here we are six years later and supposed "progressives" are championing the absurd right-wing strawman made up to discredit #BelieveWomen

Turning yourself into a rightwing caricature of a liberal to own the left.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Will never stop laughing at how manufactured this "scandal" is

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Wicked Them Beats posted:

It is statistical malpractice to write a "Warren won" based on the numbers presented. They present Warren as winning because her average grade was 0.2 higher than Bernie's.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

VitalSigns posted:

I'm legitimately upset that we're applying language meant to protect sexual assault and rape survivors to the claims of someone who says that she heard a bad opinion.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

Will never stop laughing at how manufactured this "scandal" is

The coordination between Warren and CNN was painfully obvious.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

joepinetree posted:

It is statistical malpractice to write a "Warren won" based on the numbers presented. They present Warren as winning because her average grade was 0.2 higher than Bernie's.

Her net favorability jumped 3.8% and Bernie's dropped 3.9%.
Steyer, Klob, and Butt all gained ~5. Joe dropped 1.7%.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

joepinetree posted:

Here you're assuming that they actually give a solitary gently caress about the numbers presented.

moths posted:

I'm legitimately upset that we're applying language meant to protect sexual assault and rape survivors to the claims of someone who says that she heard a bad opinion.

Always remember that the end goal of liberal feminism isn't to achieve justice for the oppressed but the shield the upper classes from criticism.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nobody watches the loving debates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think she believed she could turn some of those "Bernie first choice, Warren second choice" voters into "Warren first choice" voters. They're the two with the most ideological overlap in their supporters (even if I think that overlap is often overstated), so she probably saw Bernie voters as the most likely pickup for her and decided to go on the attack to get them.

That doesn't appear to have worked.

The big question in my mind isn't whether either of them lost their core supporters--my guess is that both are standing strong--but whether their mutual "second choice" thing is going to stand, and whether this will make it harder for either of them to win new supporters.