Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If it's going to go through traditional distribution that means the distributors will be buying it from Restoration Games for $60 a copy and then moving it to the retailers for $75 who will then sell it for whatever they want. The only way they're going to prevent that is to completely control the supply chain by direct sales only and that isn't what they have done in the past so I don't know why they would do it in the future.

edit: I'm not trying to convince anyone not to back it, I just don't plan to considering the price point and my expectations based on their release and distribution history. Supporting the creator directly through kickstarter is always going to do more for them then buying in retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Neither am I, I'm just gonna post what they said in the actual KS which is frankly what I should have done in the first place:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

moths posted:

See also: Only kids with downstairs neighbors owning the NES exercise mat.

Here’s the only opening I’ll get to tell this personal aside. I wasn’t surprised when older people bought Wii Sports, because I had already been surprised 25 years earlier when the widow next door turned out to own an NES and only Track and Field.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The main reason to back Oath is that Leder has a tradition of small print runs. They will have a retailer pledge, but we don't know if there will be enough of them to prevent stores for immediately selling out a week after release. So this is about the FOMO on a small print run rather that the FOMO on exclusives and minis.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GrandpaPants posted:

What do retailers (assuming brick and mortar and not Amazon) do with these luxury board games? Do they actually move?

I don’t know about in stores but they show up at retailer booths at cons, certainly.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

Yeah, big day today:

Dark Tower
Heroforge: Color
Oath
Foundations of Rome
Pavlov's Dogs (ok I am probably one of a generally small handful that care about this one)

I'll definitely be passing on Dark Tower, at least for crowdfunding. It's just too much, and the app was the nail in the coffin on that one for me.

I'm really curious to follow the Heroforge one as someone who runs a makerspace. Won't be backing, though, at $40 per color figure. I hope we get some better, more close up, shots of finished color prints. I haven't seen what the Mimaki 3DUJ-553 printer they are using can do in person before.

There's also Monolith's Beyond the Monolith kickstarter, which you'd think would be big based on their past success, but is kind of a weird concept and looks like it might not fund. If you like the combat system used in their Conan and Batman games apparently this will give you a ruleset to use them (and presumably future releases if this does well) in a theme agnostic skirmish wargame. Kudos to them for setting an honest funding goal and trying something new with stretch goals, although with the way the KS is going it looks like the lesson might be "don't do those things" :(

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Moon Monster posted:

There's also Monolith's Beyond the Monolith kickstarter, which you'd think would be big based on their past success, but is kind of a weird concept and looks like it might not fund. If you like the combat system used in their Conan and Batman games apparently this will give you a ruleset to use them (and presumably future releases if this does well) in a theme agnostic skirmish wargame. Kudos to them for setting an honest funding goal and trying something new with stretch goals, although with the way the KS is going it looks like the lesson might be "don't do those things" :(
I backed the Batman Season 1 set All-In and was really put off with how they ran the Season 2 campaign (felt like really squeezing the backers for cash and mostly focused on the versus mode, not the story-based scenario mode). I took a look at this giant convoluted mess and was like "nope, I'm out."

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
what's with the hype about foundations of rome

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Oath looks really good but like all board games, I don't think I'd ever play it.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I know Zombicide sells ok at my LGS. Also if you had a big market (like LA, Chicago, NY) it might be worth it to grab a couple all-ins for markup or for online selling.

I will chime in and say that in NYC, a lot of game stores avoid KS pledges cause there are too many "savvy" people that just would rather hide in their basement than deal with other assholes to buy the same game, albeit at a markup cause LGS needs to make their lovely profit too.

Not to say game stores havent done their fair share of KS pledges, but they're not as prevalent as people make them out to be, from what I've seen here.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
There is of course a difference between a retailer backing a Kickstarter with a retailer pledge level and the game being printed for regular retail distribution. Zombicide is in regular retail distribution. Not all of these games will be.

FWIW, the Dark Tower all-in pledge includes nearly $70 worth of minis you super don't need and apparently actually make the game a bit more awkward to play unless you also get an neoprene board addon (which is substantially bigger) that is...not actually in the "all-in" pledge level. A gameplay all-in would "only" be about $155. Which is still a whole lot for what they're making, in my book. But...I dunno. I'll have to watch a playthrough video and see what I think. The aesthetic design at least is very strong.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I saw a few new kickstarters that were for expansions/remakes of previous games. I was wondering if anybody here is familiar with those games they are expansions to/remakes of and what they are like.

Very Pretty Paleozoic Pals: Permian Nations, an expansion to some pen & paper game called Troika!

Master of Wills - Bloodcrown, an expansion to what looks like an LCG called Master of Wills

School for Sorcery, a game that is an updated redo of a previous game called Institute for Magical Arts

Never Going Home Campaign Dossiers, some mission add-ons for a pen & paper pulp horror rpg about world war 1 called Never Going Home

If anyone has any experience with any of these titles, please let me know what your experience was like.

Unrelated to any of that, I saw this up on kickstarter and it looks like it could be neat but I'd need to watch the gameplay to be sure. I imagine it could easily end up as a game where they spent more time thinking about the modular miniatures than making the game fun.

Shiver Me Timbers, a sandbox-style game where I guess players choose hidden goals at the start and try to perform various different tasks that'd go towards fulfilling those goals. I don't know what that genre is called. I think there's a wild west themed game that is the same kinda thing in terms of "you have a lot of ways to score points, go do whatever best suits you" but I don't remember the game's name.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Lots of people are posting in the Oath kickstarter to complain about the shipping prices. Is this the first kickstarter that's been affected by the US raising postage rates? I suppose prospective backers are in for more pain in the future...

E: Yeah, I don't think Leder is screwing people over, but $70 shipping is a lot.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 15, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Safety Biscuits posted:

Lots of people are posting in the Oath kickstarter to complain about the shipping prices. Is this the first kickstarter that's been affected by the US raising postage rates? I suppose prospective backers are in for more pain in the future...

Yeah, shipping is just as expensive as hell now. I think people getting used to free shipping from Amazon has really warped everyone's expectations.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Safety Biscuits posted:

E: Yeah, I don't think Leder is screwing people over, but $70 shipping is a lot.

I'm being thick where does it say estimated shipping prices?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This came up with Glitch, too. Jenna eventually worked in international shipping because people wanted it, but it's potentially very, very expensive.

Meanwhile, Glitch has dropped its second backer update and hit $50,000 around the same time, meaning that the hardship tiers will get the final PDF of the book.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

Never Going Home Campaign Dossiers, some mission add-ons for a pen & paper pulp horror rpg about world war 1 called Never Going Home

If anyone has any experience with any of these titles, please let me know what your experience was like.

Never Going Home is incredibly popular. They sold out of books on the first day of PAX U because they didn't anticipate how much of a demand there would be. I haven't played it yet but my friend got it shipped after the convention, and they were nice enough to throw in a player journal for free because at PAX we'd talked to one of the guys who writes for it and he was apologetic about not having any copies. We'll hopefully play soon.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

by.a.teammate posted:

If you scroll about halfway down the page, there's a section for Shipping and Timeline, with a link to a shipping chart.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

by.a.teammate posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G5zqp73KRxNfxCeyykZLFa9L3rPh4IOO_szkhYCNrrw/edit#gid=0

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I was pretty excited about Oath but the gameplay video in the kickstarter isn't really selling me on the game yet. Any other information out there on this game?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There's a 11-part designer diary here: https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/3100467/oath-chronicles-empire-and-exile/news. If you aren't sold on the game after reading all of those, you definitely shouldn't back it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Do we know how involved Childres was with Dsrk tower? Is he just licensing his name now or is this a him game?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I saw a few new kickstarters that were for expansions/remakes of previous games. I was wondering if anybody here is familiar with those games they are expansions to/remakes of and what they are like.

Very Pretty Paleozoic Pals: Permian Nations, an expansion to some pen & paper game called Troika!

Troika! is based off Advanced Fighting Fantasy. It’s simple, easy to understand, cleverly written, but the core mechanic is disappointingly weighted. It’s a type of Britwave retroclone, but with the D&D replaced with a simpler system.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do we know how involved Childres was with Dsrk tower? Is he just licensing his name now or is this a him game?

It's a co-game between him and Rob Daviau. He was very involved. Rob called the Alliances expansion "Isaac's baby" in an interview. There's also an interview where the two of them discuss working together here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCsSmC-Lujc

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

DalaranJ posted:

Troika! is based off Advanced Fighting Fantasy. It’s simple, easy to understand, cleverly written, but the core mechanic is disappointingly weighted. It’s a type of Britwave retroclone, but with the D&D replaced with a simpler system.
The core mechanic is bad and always was, but it fulfils the function of being a core mechanic that just does its thing while you play the game, and all the other stuff is more interesting.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Why is that pissing people off? $70 is rest of world, and that’s almost certainly due to the US shipping prices. They are even eating a portion of the costs themselves.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

People are still used to shipping costs that predate the new global postal order (before July 2020) and are even more heavily subsidized by the company.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Oath looks really good but like all board games, I don't think I'd ever play it.

I really just want clean digital versions of all Leder Games art forever. But I don’t care for that sort of game.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Thanks! $20 ain't bad for the UK

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Beyond the Monolith promptly cancelled its campaign today just after going live. Was it axed due to funding issues or an IP holder C&D?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Father Wendigo posted:

Beyond the Monolith promptly cancelled its campaign today just after going live. Was it axed due to funding issues or an IP holder C&D?

It wasn't doing well with finding, so I expect that was the reason.

It's a decent idea but that was an uninspiring and badly presented campaign

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

It's a co-game between him and Rob Daviau. He was very involved. Rob called the Alliances expansion "Isaac's baby" in an interview. There's also an interview where the two of them discuss working together here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCsSmC-Lujc

Also, here's what Childres wrote in the Cephalofair Games newsletter a few days ago:

quote:

Oh no, I have to do it again! I have to delay my regularly scheduled video game rant because there is Very Important News. I mean, it may not be as exciting as a Frosthaven announcement, but maybe it is. I'll let you be the judge.

The Return to Dark Tower Kickstarter is live!

And now you might be confused because Return to Dark Tower is being published by Restoration Games, not Cephalofair Games, and that is a fair point, but I am one of the designers, so it is still super-important to me. This is not only the first game I've designed that will be published by someone else, it is also the first game I have designed with other people (also one of those other people is Rob Daviau, which is really cool).

So it's a big deal for me, and I want to tell you about it. Let me just get this out of the way first, though:

This game is legit bonkers.

It's the best word I can come up with to describe it. Like, if you think Gloomhaven is bonkers, Return to Dark Tower is super-bonkers. I mean, I could never in my wildest dreams create a game with such insane ambition, and I say that as the person who made Gloomhaven.

So there's a tower, right? And it is this massive plastic thing with gears and motors and doors and lights and bluetooth communication and infrared sensors. And it is going to menace you, rumbling around, spitting skulls at you, and generally ruining your day. So much care and thought went into crafting it and making it affordable, and sure, it doesn't do all the crazy things we wanted it to, but it more than lives up to its namesake, while at the same time elevating the game play.

But then there's also an app that's doing its thing, controlling the inner workings of the tower, tracking way more information than could reasonably be requested of a human, and providing a beautiful interface for players to interact with the tower and all that information. There's just so many stories and quests we can pack into this thing, and they can change dynamically based on player actions.

At the end of the day, though, all that would mean nothing to me if the game play wasn't solid, but it absolutely is. I mean, I would hope so - I helped design it after all - but it has just gone through so many iterations, sometimes it felt as though we'd never crack the nut and refine the system to where it needed to be.

But we did. It's fun and entertaining and challenging and full of interesting decisions, and I really couldn't be happier seeing all these elements shine and come together into a product that really is something special and extraordinary.

But anyway, I'll stop trying to sell you on the game. You can check out the spectacle for yourself, and that can be that.

So yeah, it sounds like he was pretty deep involved on the design side.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah OK I guess I'm out on Oath and in on Dark Tower.

I expect this to change 1-2 more times.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Just remember that unless you're absolutely super-horny for miniatures you can back Dark Tower at $155 and get every single piece of gameplay they're offering for the exact same price as the original Dark Tower (adjusted for inflation, of course). Yes your monsters will be standees but the original game literally only had one mini for the Dragon and no minis at all for the Brigands, so big whoop.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

DalaranJ posted:

Troika's big selling point is that the pregen characters are extremely bonkers and fun to play with. The book is lovely as well, I'm going to get a physical copy of this one.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The core mechanic is bad and always was, but it fulfils the function of being a core mechanic that just does its thing while you play the game, and all the other stuff is more interesting.

What's the core mechanic and what is the other more interesting stuff that makes it worth looking at?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Just remember that unless you're absolutely super-horny for miniatures you can back Dark Tower at $155 and get every single piece of gameplay they're offering for the exact same price as the original Dark Tower (adjusted for inflation, of course). Yes your monsters will be standees but the original game literally only had one mini for the Dragon and no minis at all for the Brigands, so big whoop.
That's my plan - I'm going to get the gameplay expansion, but I'll leave the chrome out.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

golden bubble posted:

There's a 11-part designer diary here: https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/3100467/oath-chronicles-empire-and-exile/news. If you aren't sold on the game after reading all of those, you definitely shouldn't back it.

It's kind of annoying how little the campaign page itself says about the game. It seems like there's a ton of info out there, but if you just look at kickstarter you'll only have the vaguest idea of what playing the game actually entails.

Doctor Zero posted:

Why is that pissing people off? $70 is rest of world, and that’s almost certainly due to the US shipping prices. They are even eating a portion of the costs themselves.

Pissed off or not there's no way I would pay $70 in shipping for a $90 game. If I was in "rest of world" I would probably just wait for retail, although I have no idea what boardgame retail is like in Laos or whatever...

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 15, 2020

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

What's the core mechanic and what is the other more interesting stuff that makes it worth looking at?

2d6 + skill. Opposed for combat. But the skill values are fairly uneven, so having a poor combat score tends to be frustrating despite the mechanics speed of use.
e: If you get a negative combat roll, you take damage.

The setting is Planescape by way of 2000 A.D. You generate a character from a list of prebuilts with a single die roll, and the characters are delightfully bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

DalaranJ posted:

2d6 + skill. Opposed for combat. But the skill values are fairly uneven, so having a poor combat score tends to be frustrating despite the mechanics speed of use.
e: If you get a negative combat roll, you take damage.

The setting is Planescape by way of 2000 A.D. You generate a character from a list of prebuilts with a single die roll, and the characters are delightfully bizarre.

The biggest influences on Troika's setting are The Dying Earth and the Book of the New Sun, and if that doesn't sell it for you I don't know what to say. I also love their dragons.