Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nevsky is pretty good, thoughts when I'm not dead tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I picked up the Simple GBoH rules, and they're a lot of fun. I mean, I literally just used the cohesion number markers and the Must Shock markers to play through Chaeronea. And it took me maybe 2 hours? Lots of fun, and I still managed a Macedonian crushing defeat. Behold, the Carnage.

(Starting positions, not my image):

I'll play through a few more scenarios with these rules before deciding which I like better, but it's refreshingly pared down. One of my qualms with GBoH was how it had so many markers that would sandwich the actual unit counters so it was hard to actually see what was going on.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 7, 2020

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Anyone have experience with antiglare treatments of perspex?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

Nevsky is pretty good, thoughts when I'm not dead tired.

Please come back to this because it looks really cool. How hard do you think it is to teach and how long to play?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just played Nevsky. Its good folks

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://twitter.com/Playdek/status/1217525091870732288

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It's a bad game thematically and mechanically m8

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's a bad game thematically and mechanically m8
Yeah, I really can't stan for a game whose starting design assumption is "What is the world works the way it does in Thomas Friedman's NYT columns?"

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

FMguru posted:

Yeah, I really can't stan for a game whose starting design assumption is "What is the world works the way it does in Thomas Friedman's NYT columns?"

Whoa, had no idea. Are any other Volko's games like that?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Terminally Bored posted:

Twilight Struggle's brilliance is that it is built around the design assumption "What if the RAND/NSC-68/Nitze/Atcheson vision of the Cold War was literally true?" (only two powers, zero sum game, domino effect, need to constantly demonstrate interventionist "credibility", etc.). It's basically the Cold War as the people running the Cold War envisioned it.

They tried to go to same well with Labyrinth, which much worse results. (Friedman is no George Kennan or Dean Acheson)

FMguru fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 16, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Labyrinth (especially with the 1st expansion) is actually a pretty fun solitaire game, but it would just be too frustrating to play many 2-player games.

The main thing each player is trying to sway in each country is the level of Governance, which is 1 (Good), 2 (Fair), 3 (Poor), or Islamist Rule. To perform an operation with jihadist cells in countries not at IR, you need to roll less than Governance for success there. Like with Twilight Struggle, each card you play can be used for ops or the card effect, but if jihadist plays a US card for ops the US event also goes off if it's possible. So if jihadist ends up with a hand full of US cards, he or she may get in a loop of failing ops and getting screwed by each US event caused by those card plays.

US also has a War of Ideas op which they need to improve Governance, but it's mostly based on one d6 roll as well. The card events are intended to help alleviate this problem because they're more reliable but the US still needs WoI rolls to win. And I still don't know what Good Governance is supposed to mean -- general terrorism-resistance, I guess?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Out of all of Volko's games they managed to pick the one I don't care about in the slightest to make a Steam game out of. I'm sure it'll do wonderfully among the chud crowd though as it lets them play out their deus vult jerk-fests.

Then again I also play EU4 so maybe I shouldn't be throwing stones here.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

Well he's CIA so you can't expect too much but the other ones are generally well-researched and try to understand what's going on; plus they're not giant loving dicefests

Ithle01 posted:

Out of all of Volko's games they managed to pick the one I don't care about in the slightest to make a Steam game out of. I'm sure it'll do wonderfully among the chud crowd though as it lets them play out their deus vult jerk-fests.

Then again I also play EU4 so maybe I shouldn't be throwing stones here.

lol if you don't play EU4 to throw the european devil back in the sea

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Well he's CIA so you can't expect too much but the other ones are generally well-researched and try to understand what's going on; plus they're not giant loving dicefests

Yeah I've noticed that COIN games tend to vary based on who the other collaborators are.

quote:

lol if you don't play EU4 to throw the european devil back in the sea

well there is that, but the game is still basically 'Genocide Math Simulator' so that's something to be aware of one way or another.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I find it funny that a central assumption of Andean Abyss is that while the government and paramilitaries may be allied they are fundamentally antagonistic; when last I checked Uribe was under investigation for running death squads out of his family home. I do remember the Cuba Libre playbook does have a disclaimer that the Government in that game is a historical since their goal wasn't stabilizing the the country but getting out with a swiss bank account

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why is labyrinth going to steam and not empire of the sun?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

This is an unfair world my friend

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Stairmaster posted:

The last board game I bought on Steam was Commands and Colors: Ancients so I'm never getting burned by any digital nonsense ever again. :colbert:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

food court bailiff posted:

The last board game I bought on Steam was Commands and Colors: Ancients so I'm never getting burned by any digital nonsense ever again. :colbert:

Was it that bad?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It was unplayable. The UI was entirely broken. They fixed it but I haven't gone back

Exciting Jeff
May 23, 2005
To be fair, C&C Ancients was made by HexWar, who are an infamous shovelware wargame developer who have been making more or less identical hex battle games on every conceivable topic forever. Ancients is almost certainly the BEST game they’ve ever made.

PlayDek, on the other hand, is a legit developer who specializes is adapting board games, and has been responsible for most of the best ports I’ve played.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

This is an unfair world my friend

probably because it's a lot harder to make a proper AI For EOTS.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Just have it learn by watching Panzeh play, then program it to do the opposite of that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

COOL CORN posted:

Was it that bad?

However bad you are picturing it in your head, it was worse.

CommonShore posted:

It was unplayable. The UI was entirely broken. They fixed it but I haven't gone back

Have they? It's a game I've always wanted to try (and I'll put up with a ton of bullshit to try a cool board game in a digital format) but it was absolutely unusably bad.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Please come back to this because it looks really cool. How hard do you think it is to teach and how long to play?
Here are my full thoughts about the game.

I think it's medium difficult to play, because, much like Napoleon's Triumph, it's hard to internalise the rules without having played first, and also the rules don't really teach you how to actually play the game (since the game is almost entirely about how to actually be able to campaign and conduct war). We played 4 turns in about 3 hours including rules, but there are shorter scenarios that can be played in two hours or less.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

Here are my full thoughts about the game.

I think it's medium difficult to play, because, much like Napoleon's Triumph, it's hard to internalise the rules without having played first, and also the rules don't really teach you how to actually play the game (since the game is almost entirely about how to actually be able to campaign and conduct war). We played 4 turns in about 3 hours including rules, but there are shorter scenarios that can be played in two hours or less.

Very "itneresting" review.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Very "itneresting" review.
Yeah yeah, I fixed it :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

Yeah yeah, I fixed it :v:

:D

Great review, wish I had any reason to buy wargames.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Just have it learn by watching Panzeh play, then program it to do the opposite of that.

Harsh.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

I’m not hearing a denial.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DJ Dizzy posted:

I’m not hearing a denial.

I mean I did win a game against Tek but mostly by mashing my whole fleet into his without much regard for pinning until he decided to quit to losing a bunch of units to isolation because I was, as the allied player, blissfully unaware of the potential for pinning attacks.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

That's also my experience except my brother is competent enough to roll up the CBI theater

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Going to a small convention in North Wales this weekend. Gonna pressgang some fools into Pericles. Get the gently caress in.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Panzeh posted:

I mean I did win a game against Tek but mostly by mashing my whole fleet into his without much regard for pinning until he decided to quit to losing a bunch of units to isolation because I was, as the allied player, blissfully unaware of the potential for pinning attacks.

As the Allies, the +1 modifier from 1943 onwards really helps you bludgeon your way ahead if you really want to.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Decision Games nuked the modular nature of the Axis Empires series and after years of promising the much-anticipated "Dice of Decisions" upgrade kit, they decided to gently caress it and re-do the whole series as an entirely new, all-inclusive edition with unified rules, etc.

And these dumb motherfuckers are charging $300 retail for it.

lol, wtf?! Get loving bent, DG. I'm done with you asswipes (which actually won't be too tough as they never release new games).

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Going to a small convention in North Wales this weekend. Gonna pressgang some fools into Pericles. Get the gently caress in.

I've dreamed of doing this for over a year, good luck.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Does Imperial Struggle look like it will be good? It's on my P500 orders around with the new COIN titles and Versailles 1919, but maybe I should get rid of some of those.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I dunno, I've forgotten the mechanics previews, it's been like two years since the last one.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Any opinions on Space Empires 4X and the expansions? How much bookkeeping is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Terminally Bored posted:

Any opinions on Space Empires 4X and the expansions? How much bookkeeping is there?

Lots. But they're really good. The basic rules are well, kinda basic, but the xpacs and advanced rules add cool stuff. It's got an epic playtime though, like all day kind of thing