Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You're not missing anything

Wrong. If you ignore the MQ you never get to meet my dragon bro Paarthurnax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
in mhw iceborne theres a mini game called the steamworks and when you max it out a cutscene plays where 3 cats stuff it full of coal and your handler throws some potates on top causing an explosion. at one point your handler is replaced by a different handler while she and the tracker check something out and if you do steam works during this you get a different cutscene with your interim handler and she asks the cats nicely not to cause an explosion but they do anyways

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
AssCreed Revelation had a boss that you had to aerial assassinate, but right as you get the usual post-death speech you expect at this point, the dude just no sells the knife in his neck and gets back up to fight you. It was so stupid that it wrapped around to being awesome.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

snergle posted:

in mhw iceborne theres a mini game called the steamworks and when you max it out a cutscene plays where 3 cats stuff it full of coal and your handler throws some potates on top causing an explosion. at one point your handler is replaced by a different handler while she and the tracker check something out and if you do steam works during this you get a different cutscene with your interim handler and she asks the cats nicely not to cause an explosion but they do anyways

All of the cat cutscenes are delightful. I love Cat Chef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqAfXQCItMA

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nostradingus posted:

All of the cat cutscenes are delightful. I love Cat Chef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqAfXQCItMA

Buff Cat Chef is old news. Cat Grandma is where it's at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yjpkZpleSE

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Don Gato posted:

AssCreed Revelation had a boss that you had to aerial assassinate, but right as you get the usual post-death speech you expect at this point, the dude just no sells the knife in his neck and gets back up to fight you. It was so stupid that it wrapped around to being awesome.

which boss is this? curious to look it up

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

which boss is this? curious to look it up

Shahkulu

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

John Murdoch posted:

Wrong. If you ignore the MQ you never get to meet my dragon bro Paarthurnax.
They railroad you into murdering him and it's bullshit. Like, yes, he's a centrist non-interventionist who could have helped fight off the Thalmor, but come on.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Any work of fiction that makes me hate Christopher Plummer's character is bad fiction, even the works where he plays the villain.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They railroad you into murdering him and it's bullshit. Like, yes, he's a centrist non-interventionist who could have helped fight off the Thalmor, but come on.

Who? Paarthurnax? You don’t have to kill him. Which is good, because he’s nice and the group telling you to kill him is both really stupid and completely unlikable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ariong posted:

Who? Paarthurnax? You don’t have to kill him. Which is good, because he’s nice and the group telling you to kill him is both really stupid and completely unlikable.

I think DACK FAYDEN just means that the Blades give you an ultimatum for essentially no reason and you have no agency in a matter where you really should. There's no option to spare Paarthurnax or even to say "no I don't want to do that", only the option is to eternally juke their order to kill him by ignoring the quest log entry, which isn't really the same thing.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Jan 15, 2020

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I think DACK FAYDEN just means that the Blades give you an ultimatum for essentially no reason and you have no agency in a matter where you really should. There's no option to spare Paarthurnax or even to say "no I don't want to do that", only the option to eternally juke their order to kill him by ignoring the quest log entry, which isn't really the same thing.

Never played up to that point, but what happens if you just kill the quest giver?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Skyrim quest givers are all flagged as immortal. Even if they give out a quest you have already locked yourself out of getting.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Patrick Spens posted:

Skyrim quest givers are all flagged as immortal. Even if they give out a quest you have already locked yourself out of getting.

So I guess the only other option for that moral choice is to play on PC and mod out that pesky immortality flag.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Elder scrolls has pretty much never been about morality. Theres almost never multiple solutions to quests, the only player agency is how you go about it.

(To clarify this isnt a defense, its this reason I never particularly liked the series)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Elder scrolls has pretty much never been about morality. Theres almost never multiple solutions to quests, the only player agency is how you go about it.

(To clarify this isnt a defense, its this reason I never particularly liked the series)

But there's so many copy paste caves to explore!

And if you install mods until it's not even recognizable as the base game anymore it's a great game!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Let's go ahead and end the impending slapfight about TES before it starts huh?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Let's go ahead and end the impending slapfight about TES before it starts huh?

I mean I guess we can

Sylvando is the best part of Dragonquest 11

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think the Clairvoyance spell in Skyrim is pretty cool. When you activate it a glowing trail appears that you can follow to your current quest objective. When I first saw it I thought that it was weird how they would go to all that effort for a single simple spell, but it’s actually quite clever in how it works under the hood: he games just uses the AI pathfinding code to work out how an NPC would navigate to wherever you need to go and draws the trail along that path. Clever.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
On the subject of TES, there is a fan made total conversion for Skyrim called Enderal on Steam. Iirc, it is free if you own Skyrim. It is a totally new world and campaign, fully voiceacted dialogue, new assets, the works. It is VERY good and better by a mile than vanilla Skyrim.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

HPanda posted:

So I guess the only other option for that moral choice is to play on PC and mod out that pesky immortality flag.

Or download the "The Paarthurnax Dilemma" mod. Changes up the end of the Blades questline, and adds a way to get through without killed Paarthurnax.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The best way to play skyrim is to use one of those mods that just disables the main story, so you don't have to deal with any dragons at all and the gray beards are just dudes you never talk to and the world is your boring fantasy oyster like in every other elder scrolls game.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Nuebot posted:

The best way to play skyrim is to use one of those mods that just disables the main story, so you don't have to deal with any dragons at all and the gray beards are just dudes you never talk to and the world is your boring fantasy oyster like in every other elder scrolls game.

Link to one of these please and thank you :dong:

Or better yet one for FO4

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got past the Trachea level in Quantum Theory on the xbox 360 and just wanted to draw attention to how pretty and colourful the game is, especially after the grey slog of Gears of War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD4K9A1tSUM

Also there was an enemy that I expected to be a huge bullet sponge, but it's more interesting than that. His body is impervious, but if you hit his head once with a strong weapon or a few times with an automatic, it teleports away and burst through a different wall for you to keep shooting. Then it just stops coming after a few times doing that.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 14:46 on Jan 16, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kitfox88 posted:

Link to one of these please and thank you :dong:

Or better yet one for FO4
nexusmods.com is what you want, every game's on the Nexus, even FO:NV

just uh, don't drown in the sea of titty mods (at least the actual sex mods are on a different even worse site)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Oh my god Quantum Theory is finally delivering on it's premise, as the tower is an organic creature, with the black goo as an Invading force warping it to it's own ends, basically it's a cancer. AS a result it's not just cover that's popping up anymore, the entire level is building itself with seemingly random bridges and towers that not only are trying to do it's own thing, but actively fighting you as well, so bridges will break as you cross them so you need to jump to a tower and hope another route opens up. It's really fun although tricky due to how unpredictable it is.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

In the Megaman Zero games, almost every boss (pretty much all of them that don’t survive the fight) gets dramatically cut in half if you finish them off with the sword. Interestingly, they’re cut before they deliver their last words. I guess it takes a bit before a case of “sliced cleanly in two” kicks in if you’re a robot.

I felt very disappointed any time I got the last hit with the gun or a charged slash (which doesn’t count for some reason).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just a lovely way to symbolize the passage of time inbetween the new DLC and the base game of Three Kingdoms. :allears:

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Playing Red Dead Redemption 2, using the greet command a few times on a construction worker in Valentine:

Arthur, casually: "It's been one of those days y'know?"
Worker, concerned: "Hey partner, go through it best you can and things'll turn round".

Just love that there's actually some positivity all throughout this game, unlike the overriding "everything is crum" mentality in GTA5.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

CJacobs posted:

I think DACK FAYDEN just means that the Blades give you an ultimatum for essentially no reason and you have no agency in a matter where you really should. There's no option to spare Paarthurnax or even to say "no I don't want to do that", only the option is to eternally juke their order to kill him by ignoring the quest log entry, which isn't really the same thing.

I use a mod that fixes this. You can tell the blades to pound sand on their request, they accept your decision, and everything goes back to normal.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BioEnchanted posted:

I've got past the Trachea level in Quantum Theory on the xbox 360 and just wanted to draw attention to how pretty and colourful the game is, especially after the grey slog of Gears of War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD4K9A1tSUM

Also there was an enemy that I expected to be a huge bullet sponge, but it's more interesting than that. His body is impervious, but if you hit his head once with a strong weapon or a few times with an automatic, it teleports away and burst through a different wall for you to keep shooting. Then it just stops coming after a few times doing that.

Aw gently caress this whole time I thought you were talking about Remedy's Quantum Break!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

marshmallow creep posted:

Aw gently caress this whole time I thought you were talking about Remedy's Quantum Break!

I don't even know what Quantum Theory is, really, but there are enough similar points of discussion that I keep getting confused too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's a 360 shooter that's been derided as "Anime Gears of War" but it's much more than that, because of a couple of awesome rooms where the room itself is trying to kill you, so for example you at one point are standing on two thin platforms that are parallel to each other and that are going back and forth, partially retracting and extending to throw off you're aim. Then the room gets aggressive by tilting the platforms to expose you, leaving hte cover less effective. And the whole room is constantly moving bridges and trying to funnel you into enemy encounters, at one point literally as at one point you are on a ledge above a circular room, then the ledge just lowers, sinking into the floor leaving you exposed.

It doesn't happen much, there have been 2 setpieces like it so far, but when it does it it goes all out and it's really cool. It really sells the idea that you are fighting the tower itself.

Also the bosses don't take many hits and the hits that they do take feel strong, it's just you die very quickly too so the tricky part is not getting hit too much before you can hit back. It completely avoids the problem a lot of shooters have where the enemies are all bullet sponges by the end, and the bosses are WAY better than most bosses in Gears of War. Also the weak points feel like weak points, like one boss has a crack in it's chest armour that you shoot, but as it takes damage it starts leaking light more and more until it completely ruptures and explodes, killing the boss.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Jan 17, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

marshmallow creep posted:

Haha, me too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I definitely thought he was talking about that first-person shooter with time manipulation...could've sworn it had Quantum in the title.

Edit: Nope, it was Singularity.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I definitely thought he was talking about that first-person shooter with time manipulation...could've sworn it had Quantum in the title.

I think you're thinking of Singularity? Edit: You figured it out.

I'm hoping that the final boss on Quantum Theory involves the environmental warping because that could be neat. At the moment I'm at a nice level on the roof of the tower. This game's definitely on my "To LP" list

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Jan 17, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I think you're thinking of Singularity?

Yeaaaaah immediately after posting I looked it up

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, at the new Gathering Hub, you can finally pet your cat.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wow, partway through the Clavicle in Quantum Theory which is the rooftop (all the parts of the tower are named for body parts), and it really feels like a roof. There is a lot of uneven ground and thin flying buttresses to navigate, and a few neat uses of the cover mechanic where you don't press against a wall to hide from enemies but to shimmy across a narrow ledge to somewhere safe to pull away. Also the bird enemies are back from half the game ago so that's neat. They were only in one level before this one. There are also way more checkpoints so it's less stressful than the prior level.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Jan 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Been playing Enderal the Skyrim overhaul (free on Steam). The opening is a touch too long but I've been enjoying myself.

Skyrim is far, far too easy so I like that magic is potent but risky to use, torches run out and you can only rest at beds, camps or tents.

I'm not wholly certain how the leveling plays out but you can start the game with werewolf powers, if you want.