Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

Will a local game store kick your rear end if you have recasted out of print models or are they generally cool about it?

I just know the official Games Workshop stores would be pissed lol

I can't speak to yours but my FLGS couldn't care less what minis I play with

I would expect trouble at official GW tournaments and nothing else

Most people think its rad to do anything custom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Protip: paint your goddamned illicit models, and then shut up about them.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

TTerrible posted:

Nonsense. You could cast a hundred copies of the latest GW release for your own use. This myth has a perverse staying power in hobby circles.

As copyright laws are set at a national level, it's hard to generalize about what is and is not allowed. Copyright laws tend to be a ridiculous mixture of outrageous overreach and gaping loopholes, tuned to whatever special interests got their way in the relevant country.

I have no idea whether making a personal copy (or hundred copies) fits within "fair use" doctrine in the US. That seems very generous, though. The US does have one notorious loophole, in that while copyright arises automatically, the copyright holder is not entitled to any legal remedy for infringement until they register their copyright with the US Copyright Office. Games-Workshop seems to have been wary of this from the get-go, their registrations start in 1975, and there's a lot of them. Could be gaps, but figuring out where they are would be tough.

Canada has a relevant potential loophole. The government of Canada tried to remove useful articles from the ambit of copyright law (to prevent patent holders from arguing they have copyright in a patented object to extend the patent life beyond what was intended). They did this visa section 64 of the Copyright Act. Unfortunately, this section is a mess as a result of poor drafting and as a result, there is a fair argument to be made that isn't not possible to maintain an infringement action in Canada for a model kit (even where it is not a "useful article").

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
The old-rear end tiny hive tyrant dude with a gun is my favourite model of all time and any time I see it I'm more excited than anything else in print

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

The old-rear end tiny hive tyrant dude with a gun is my favourite model of all time and any time I see it I'm more excited than anything else in print

I have an old metal flyrant and an old metal beetle fex

They don't fit in with the modern models at ALL but they're cool

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://regimental-standard.com/2020/01/15/watch-out-watch-out-theres-a-face-eater-about/

I absolute love the Heretical? display. :D

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I don't think I've ever seen a recast model in the flesh, do they tend towards being immediately visually distinct from normal models?

(Beyond in detail quality I guess)

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

MinistryofLard posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a recast model in the flesh, do they tend towards being immediately visually distinct from normal models?

Unpainted, yes, the resin is usually a different color than fw. Painted, not at all.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This is the best bit:

The Regimental Standard posted:

Allegedly named, in a stunning coincidence, after Captain Henry Face-eater (Deceased), original discoverer of these vile beasts

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Just make sure that you do all your recasting with either melted down 90s models or recycled sprues, then you can honestly state that your models are 100% GW kits that have just been subject to extensive conversion. If GW doesn't mind if I turn my 90s Guardians into other models with a knife, file, and putty, then it should be fine if I do it with heat, pressure, and rubber!

MinistryofLard posted:

It varies a great deal depending on what you are getting and what it is taken from, as far as I know. There are some that are visually weird and others that look pretty much perfect (post painting, the ones I know about all have different looks to the material than official figures). Specifically talking about recasting figures from the 1980s and 1990s, many of those were fairly simple sculpts that were designed to be cast in pewter or tin alloy with spin casters, and you could probably get close to perfect copies. I think the main tell would just be weight, as I don't think many people are recasting in pewter these days (although there isn't any reason you can't do it, you could probably emulate GW's early casting pretty well in a garage workshop if you wanted).

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Booley posted:

Unpainted, yes, the resin is usually a different color than fw. Painted, not at all.

To be fair I've seen the colour of real FW resin (& finecast) vary over the years. They use(d) a different formulation for some of the chunkier pieces, like a Hierophant's main body.

The easiest way to spot recasts is any areas of recessed detail that are susceptible to bits of the mold breaking off. Unfortunately that's also the easiest way to spot legit Finecast stuff too, so :shrug:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

Just make sure that you do all your recasting with either melted down 90s models or recycled sprues, then you can honestly state that your models are 100% GW kits that have just been subject to extensive conversion. If GW doesn't mind if I turn my 90s Guardians into other models with a knife, file, and putty, then it should be fine if I do it with heat, pressure, and rubber!

It varies a great deal depending on what you are getting and what it is taken from, as far as I know. There are some that are visually weird and others that look pretty much perfect (post painting, the ones I know about all have different looks to the material than official figures). Specifically talking about recasting figures from the 1980s and 1990s, many of those were fairly simple sculpts that were designed to be cast in pewter or tin alloy with spin casters, and you could probably get close to perfect copies. I think the main tell would just be weight, as I don't think many people are recasting in pewter these days (although there isn't any reason you can't do it, you could probably emulate GW's early casting pretty well in a garage workshop if you wanted).

Don't get resin versions of old pre-2000s models because all of them were made via spincasting and you'll need an excellent story as to why yours is resin and not metal.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Legit Forgeworld models can be so hit or miss that there's really no way of telling the different between that and a good recast, and some recasts are effectively perfect. Like everyone has said, once painted no one will ever know unless it's a resin recast of a pewter model. But even then there's people doing metal recasts also.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Cinara posted:

Legit Forgeworld models can be so hit or miss that there's really no way of telling the different between that and a good recast, and some recasts are effectively perfect. Like everyone has said, once painted no one will ever know unless it's a resin recast of a pewter model. But even then there's people doing metal recasts also.

I've got some recasts that actually have finer detail than my buddies legit FW stuff. Its really a total crapshoot all over.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
It might be better now, but there was a time when FW's casting quality control was utter garbage. I've gotten re-casts that were orders of magnitude better than FW stuff.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

Don't get resin versions of old pre-2000s models because all of them were made via spincasting and you'll need an excellent story as to why yours is resin and not metal.

"I bought a recast because gently caress dealing with pewter"

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Wedding photography is different is that the provision that you not make duplicates is part of the agreement you sign to hire their services rather than built into copyright law.

https://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#106
It is built in--if you have a copyright, you own the exclusive right to make copies. Section 107 covers fair use, and things like "noncommercial use" are factors for "consideration" and not guarantees. Personally, I wouldn't leave it up to a judge seeing things my way. Seriously, if anyone does google "personal use," don't quote someone's summary--try to pin it down to an actual law: you'll probably find the Section 117 backup copy for software, or the "archives" exception in Section 108.

Agreements:
My last job made me a sign a contract effectively disallowing me from badmouthing the CEO's butler. You can put a good number of things in a contract. Doesn't mean its enforceable, and doesn't mean there wasn't a preexisting obligation. I think it'd be easier to threaten customers when there's a clearcut "you can't do that" clause in the contract they signed, but that's not their only recourse.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Contingency posted:

https://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#106
It is built in--if you have a copyright, you own the exclusive right to make copies. Section 107 covers fair use, and things like "noncommercial use" are factors for "consideration" and not guarantees. Personally, I wouldn't leave it up to a judge seeing things my way. Seriously, if anyone does google "personal use," don't quote someone's summary--try to pin it down to an actual law: you'll probably find the Section 117 backup copy for software, or the "archives" exception in Section 108.

Agreements:
My last job made me a sign a contract effectively disallowing me from badmouthing the CEO's butler. You can put a good number of things in a contract. Doesn't mean its enforceable, and doesn't mean there wasn't a preexisting obligation. I think it'd be easier to threaten customers when there's a clearcut "you can't do that" clause in the contract they signed, but that's not their only recourse.

Butler protection clauses have been an unfair burden on the ordinary working class for TOO LONG.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is the best bit:

It is

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

dexefiend posted:

Protip: paint your goddamned illicit models, and then shut up about them.

Definitely the most sound piracy advice

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
I have multiple recast FW models that have had no issues in GW stores or tournaments. As long as the recaster is good and the models are not ancient metal TK blisters or something that some boomer might pick out you should be fine.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Ilor posted:

It might be better now, but there was a time when FW's casting quality control was utter garbage. I've gotten re-casts that were orders of magnitude better than FW stuff.

FWs quality is pretty hit or miss. Usually newer casts are pretty good; but the older the mold gets the worse the cast gets.

I have some perfect FW casts, and some hilariously lovely ones

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Just some stealers, may as well paint up the random ones I end up with and go for the 60 strong barrel of stealers.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

R0ckfish posted:

Just some stealers, may as well paint up the random ones I end up with and go for the 60 strong barrel of stealers.

I like them but I prefer your 'gants that have a bit more highlighting of the purple per amount of plating tbh

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 16, 2020

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Contingency posted:

Doesn't mean its enforceable
Good. Now dish on that loving butler. :colbert:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
So I'm writing a 2K Grey Knights list as a sort of "this is as good as it's gonna get" list to use as a shopping list for my next projects.

The list has 3 Venerable Dreadnoughts with twin lascannons and missile launchers supported by a techmarine in a Vanguard detachment.

If I want any more anti-tank shooting I basically need:

A) Normal dreadnoughts (I assume rule of 3 means I can have 3 ven and 3 normal) (375 points for 6 lascannons shots and 3 missile shots)

B) A Land Raider (which I already own) (277 points for 4 lascannons shots and 6 heavy bolter shots)

Or

C) A stormraven gunship (314 points for 2 lascannon, 2 multi melta, and 1 stormstrike shot)

Of these the dreadnoughts seem like the best choice but it's a bit dull. Last time I used a land raider it did survive two rounds of being shot at by two/three leman russes, but that still meant only one turn of shooting, so maybe the stormraven is more survivable.

What do you guys think I should go with? Or do you think is should just keep the 3 venerable dreads and spend the point on something like paladins which will punch stuff instead?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Filthy Hans posted:

I like them but I prefer your 'gants that have a bit more highlighting of the purple per amount of plating tbh

Yeah, they are bit awkward in that they have weird knobbly bits on the panels when I have only been highlighting the main panels, I was worried it would look weird with the highlights physically going weird places.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Sanford posted:

If I wanted to sell this as a job lot what should I ask for it? I’m in the uk.

https://imgur.com/gallery/y9fdv

I would like to thank you for taking specific pictures to zoom in on those wonderful eyes.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

BirdieBedtime posted:

I would like to thank you for taking specific pictures to zoom in on those wonderful eyes.

Thank me by saying what I should sell them for! Either a job lot, or split into guard/marines/nids as suggested. I should point out all of Space Hulk is there too, not just the models. What price would make it a no-brainer for you, if you saw it on FB marketplace or something?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Sanford posted:

Thank me by saying what I should sell them for! Either a job lot, or split into guard/marines/nids as suggested. I should point out all of Space Hulk is there too, not just the models. What price would make it a no-brainer for you, if you saw it on FB marketplace or something?

I would split them up because a) you'll make more money and b) it's hard to value when it's all together so it's hard for the buyer to know whether whatever the asking price for is good.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Sanford posted:

What price would make it a no-brainer for you, if you saw it on FB marketplace or something?

I think $500 USD (so ~383 GBP) would be a no-brainer for me. You could probably get double or more if you partition them out into their respective factions, but since they're in various states of disrepair and already painted, you have to account for the extra work it would take to refresh them.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Okay thanks. If I can be bothered to get it all out the attic again I'll split it out for better pics and ask again. It belonged to an ex-friend and it's ten years since I've seen him and I've recently found out he stole from me a lot when we lived together, so I'm selling it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Sanford posted:

Okay thanks. If I can be bothered to get it all out the attic again I'll split it out for better pics and ask again. It belonged to an ex-friend and it's ten years since I've seen him and I've recently found out he stole from me a lot when we lived together, so I'm selling it.

Just look at what someone would have to pay today for all of the units and then halve all the prices and that's a good starting point.

Some stuff is out of production or weird (like the space hulk terminators) and you may have to look on ebay and sort of price match.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 16, 2020

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You should definitely split it up, because as a big lot you are cutting out people who might really want those Nids but don't want to pay for marines, for instance. At least break it out by factions, I have bought big lots of Eldar in the past even when I didn't need it all (how many swooping hawks do I really need?) but I'm not going to buy two other armies to get some figures I like.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Strongly agree on splitting them up. There's some classic Necromunda Cawdor in there I'd want (if I were UK) but there's absolutely no way I'd buy all the other stuff just to get them.

As above - figure out what stuff goes for now, then start by asking half that, adjusting up or down depending on condition. Being painted may lower value, since it probably represents more work for the buyer but that's very situational.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Z the IVth posted:

Cinara posted:

Even then, once it's painted you'd have to be in a situation where someone else is A) picking up your models and checking the weight of resin vs pewter, B) has an encyclopedic knowledge of what came out in metal vs resin in the first place, and C) actually gives a poo poo if you're using recasts.

I've only ever had anything approaching A happen by my own request, usually during clean-up after a game with my asking my opponent to pass me a few guys who got over on his side of the board. I've never had anyone just grab anything I own and just trying to figure out if it's metal or not. There are a few people who fall into category B, to be sure, but the Venn Diagram of people in B who are also in C is pretty much limited to GW guys who live in and around Nottingham or the occasional GW store manager lifer who's been around forever.

In short, barring playing in a tournament at GW headquarters or at an event with a particularly knowledgeable and dedicated GW employee, the odds are vanishingly small anyone will ever know, or care about the providence of your models.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm looking at the order of the ebon chalice's order conviction. Is there limits to that? Cause that seems stupidly broken.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm looking at the order of the ebon chalice's order conviction. Is there limits to that? Cause that seems stupidly broken.

Just the number of dice in your Miracle Pool. You are, after all, burning two dice for every '6' you generate.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

jng2058 posted:

Just the number of dice in your Miracle Pool. You are, after all, burning two dice for every '6' you generate.

OH! Ok, I was reading it wrong. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

BigRed0427 posted:

jng2058 posted:

Also you can only use one miracle die for one attack of a model and per unit per phase by default. So you can stack cherubs and imagifiers and such, but you can't, say, slam out 4 6's for an entire melta squad. That leaves it as something that's great for single clutch rolls.