Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Collateral Damage posted:

You mean those who haven't trashed their useless, expensive inkjet and just gotten a cheap b/w laser. Toner isn't cheaper, but at least it doesn't go bad when you haven't printed anything for a month.

The price per page is a little cheaper. As an added bonus toner doesn't run if the page gets wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'm sure this one has been mentioned before but I'm at loss

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So, is that an adult version of those kid toothbrushes that play parts of a song through your jaw while you brush?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Subscription Program?

Is this brushing-as-a-service?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Alan Smithee posted:

If you ran a blacklight on the cream colored couch it would look like Chernobyl

3.6 Roentojizms, not great, not terrible

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Toothpaste as a service

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nenonen posted:

I'm sure this one has been mentioned before but I'm at loss

A: lol at "subscription program" as a pro

b: i like how they had to go for top-end individual products ot make their thing seem like a better deal

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jabor posted:

The idea is that if there's a sniper watching, the flare from the first cigarette will catch his attention, and once he has his rifle pointed that way the later ones will give him a shot. The sniper already knows what general direction your trench is, so him seeing the first flare and then nothing else doesn't actually give anything.

It's an obsolete notion in a world of night vision hardware though.

As I have heard it, the snipers in World War 1 not only knew the direction of your trench but the ranges of various points on it. So the first light told him there was someone to shoot at, the second gave him time to check the wind, and the third guy didn't get to smoke his ciggy.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jedit posted:

As I have heard it, the snipers in World War 1 not only knew the direction of your trench but the ranges of various points on it. So the first light told him there was someone to shoot at, the second gave him time to check the wind, and the third guy didn't get to smoke his ciggy.

This entire discussion misses the point of trenches (and this thread). Everyone knows they weren't knee-high, right? Anyone sticking their head out a trench to smoke a ciggie deserves to get shot.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Are there any rules about how many e-cigs can be connected to a usb hub simultaneously in a battlefield?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Toothpaste as a service

DRM Toothpaste. Using illicit toothpaste will cause a jolt to shock you through your teeth.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
No, it gives you a squirt of orange juice that makes the toothpaste taste really gross.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
We all know solleimani was doing hookah in the Escalade and that’s why he got droned

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Sanford posted:

This entire discussion misses the point of trenches (and this thread). Everyone knows they weren't knee-high, right? Anyone sticking their head out a trench to smoke a ciggie deserves to get shot.

More oddly - the idea that eating carrots improves your eyesight was British propoganda in WW2 to hide the fact they had invented radar to detect incoming bombers. A bullshit that modern bloggers repeat to this very day...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/24-carrot-eyesight/

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rapulum_Dei posted:

More oddly - the idea that eating carrots improves your eyesight was British propoganda in WW2 to hide the fact they had invented radar to detect incoming bombers. A bullshit that modern bloggers repeat to this very day...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/24-carrot-eyesight/

This is really interesting, you learn something new everyday!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The real reason why you don't want to light multiple cigarettes with a single match is that it makes you all gay!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

It’s not gay if it’s a three way so just don’t a bring a 4th brother

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Modes: 3 + 1

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Kennel posted:

The real reason why you don't want to light multiple cigarettes with a single match is that it makes you all gay!

So... Match.com is homophobic?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
first light is distance, second is wind, third is to fire at

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My "kickstarter disaster" senses are tingling.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1655380003/marscat-a-bionic-cat-a-home-robot/description

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

"LIBERAL ARTS AND HUMANITIES!"

Lol what the poo poo. Will it sit on a roomba? No? loving useless then.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

quote:

You can talk to MarsCat to order it to walk or come to you, but it will not always follow your command, it has its own feeling hahaha.

This is an incredible get out. 'My MarsCat never listens to be and randonly wibbles about the house!?' ...... 'Just like a cat, perfect'

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jabor posted:

The idea is that if there's a sniper watching, the flare from the first cigarette will catch his attention, and once he has his rifle pointed that way the later ones will give him a shot. The sniper already knows what general direction your trench is, so him seeing the first flare and then nothing else doesn't actually give anything.

It's an obsolete notion in a world of night vision hardware though.

It's also an obsolete notion in a world where cigarettes themselves emit light. If there's a sniper around walking around with a stick in your mouth that has a little glowing ember on the end of it's a good way to get shot regardless of how many cigarettes you lit with that match. On a moonless night, with night-adjusted eyes you can see a candle flame at over a mile away; a cigarette ember's going to be visible out to probably at least a couple hundred meters to the naked eye, let alone someone with an optic.

(Also, there are no references to this myth until after the first world war ended.)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Phanatic posted:

It's also an obsolete notion in a world where cigarettes themselves emit light. If there's a sniper around walking around with a stick in your mouth that has a little glowing ember on the end of it's a good way to get shot regardless of how many cigarettes you lit with that match. On a moonless night, with night-adjusted eyes you can see a candle flame at over a mile away; a cigarette ember's going to be visible out to probably at least a couple hundred meters to the naked eye, let alone someone with an optic.

(Also, there are no references to this myth until after the first world war ended.)

There are references before the 1st world war, in 1894 Mexican soldiers believed it to be unlucky for the same reason. Although the only written references to the idea take place after the end of the war in 1919 it's written about is such a way as to assume everyone would already know it was unlucky. The quote being

quote:

Why should we be superstitious? Three on a match, or a black cat crossing the road in front of us, or looking at the moon over the left shoulder, have not altered results in anyone's case.

This means it was common knowledge in 1919 that it was unlucky, just like a black cat was. It would not be unusual for superstitions of the fighting men in the trenches to not be written about as at the time, no one really cared about them or thought them important.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Aramoro posted:

This is an incredible get out. 'My MarsCat never listens to be and randonly wibbles about the house!?' ...... 'Just like a cat, perfect'
My favorite part is how it promises to ship within the next few months.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

My favorite part is how it promises to ship within the next few months.

I can ship a robot that doesn't listen to you and does nothing in the next few months I think.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

One of the UK's (many, many, *many*) class shibboleths was that someone holding a cigarette between their fingers was officer-class, and someone holding it between thumb and forefinger, especially cupping their hand around it, was working class/other ranks, because soldiers and sailors on guard duty/stand-to/deck watch (inevitably ORs) were taught to cup their hand around their fag both to help disguise the glow (from the NCOs as much as the enemy, because yes, smoking on watch was forbidden as far back as the Boer War) and to protect their night vision.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Yes, I’m sure the terrified cat robot will be an incredible success.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

"MarsCat, tell me when mum's dead"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Running!

Great, a toy that can simulate having an arthritic elderly cat! And the battery lasts 3-6 hours, so your elderly robo cat can die in your arms multiple times a day. Fun!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

Running!

Great, a toy that can simulate having an arthritic elderly cat! And the battery lasts 3-6 hours, so your elderly robo cat can die in your arms multiple times a day. Fun!

My 15 year old cat can clear a gap like no one's business when she sees the opportunity to gently caress with my roommate, can robo cat do that?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Anything that gets us closer to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vqkFxBSIEI

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Iron Crowned posted:

My 15 year old cat can clear a gap like no one's business when she sees the opportunity to gently caress with my roommate, can robo cat do that?

Yes it can! It just won't because it doesn't want to.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Anything that won't look directly into your eyes while it knocks all the stuff off your shelves isn't a cat.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Aramoro posted:

I can ship a robot that doesn't listen to you and does nothing in the next few months I think.

I’ve been clicking on your post, but I cannot find a pledge link?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sony didn't manage to make robotic pets a thing but I'm sure these chucklefucks will ship a working cat in a few months.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Does it come with the crazy cat lady as well?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Running!

Isn't "run" defined as having 0 points of contact with the ground at some point during the movement? Like, there was a massive deal a while back when one of the robotics companies finally built something that could actually run.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
So it's a robocat to prepare your kids for pets dying, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted: