Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm waiting for Skyriel Rebuilt

and to truly make it come full circle, Skyhouse of the Nords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Remake Daggerfall in Skyrim, cowards

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jay Rust posted:

Remake Daggerfall in Skyrim, cowards

Someone did.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/29416

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

:stwoon:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Berke Negri posted:

once they said they were going to start doing amateur VA for all the dialogue text from morrowind i knew skywind was hosed

I'll take amateur VA over Bethesda blowing their budget on Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart, leaving four other people to do every other character in the game. As long as people aren't using terrible mics it might be okay. The samples played so far don't sound bad at all.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Some say amateur VA is trash, me, I say it's treasure.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Bloodplay it again posted:

I'll take amateur VA over Bethesda blowing their budget on Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart, leaving four other people to do every other character in the game. As long as people aren't using terrible mics it might be okay. The samples played so far don't sound bad at all.

great well look forward to playing it after TES7 comes out

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Oh my god...

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
:dogbutton:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Bloodplay it again posted:

I'll take amateur VA over Bethesda blowing their budget on Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart, leaving four other people to do every other character in the game.

See you'd think that plays a part, but they didn't go for huge A-list stars with Skyrim and instead, very sensibly, used their budget on a number of competent b-listers like Saul Tigh and Susan Ivanova and they still end up with far far more characters than VAs.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

time for the tamriel rebuilt team to scrap the project and move over to recreating the Illiac Bay, every single dungeon included

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Ms Adequate posted:

See you'd think that plays a part, but they didn't go for huge A-list stars with Skyrim and instead, very sensibly, used their budget on a number of competent b-listers like Saul Tigh and Susan Ivanova and they still end up with far far more characters than VAs.

while this complaint is valid of Morrowind or Oblivion where there's like seriously 10 people doing VA for the entire thing (these games are like 15-20 years old also) when it comes to skyrim i mean you know all games dont have an individual VA for every single NPC right

skyrim has like 80 or so people doing voice work how much more do you want

Orv
May 4, 2011
It sticks out more in Skyrim because they made a rather odd decision to have those 80 people, for the most part, be their voices, rather than characters. If VA A is voice characters 1 and 2 they're going to be nearly identical, plot characters aside, rather than trying to put on some affection or other. It serves to make things feel like Oblivion.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah i think criticisms of voice direction is fine

but yeah the idea you can have 1000+ NPCs in your game and not enough unique VAs for them that's silly

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

witcher 3, as with most other modern open-world RPG failings, did it right

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I wrote Skywind off the minute I heard that dumbass stereotypical "I'm an Evil Bad Guy" Demon Voice they gave Dagoth Ur.

Voice direction like that makes it clear they have no loving idea what the hell they're doing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

BBJoey posted:

witcher 3, as with most other modern open-world RPG failings, did it right

truly it is a shame morrowind isn't witcher 3

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

truly it is a shame morrowind isn't witcher 3

morrowind is not modern

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Rhjamiz posted:

I wrote Skywind off the minute I heard that dumbass stereotypical "I'm an Evil Bad Guy" Demon Voice they gave Dagoth Ur.

Voice direction like that makes it clear they have no loving idea what the hell they're doing.
Ah, the Black Mesa strategy. I look forward to playing it for a few hours in 2025 and then switching back to OpenMW because it's more fun to actually play.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/210394599246659585/667084042994319412/XE_FixedFuncEmutoon.7z

Killer7owind

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That is so cool.

I'm so glad I resubbed to this thread on this subforum of these forums at this time in the history of this game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

once they said they were going to start doing amateur VA for all the dialogue text from morrowind i knew skywind was hosed

same, I don't mind amateur VA for the most part but I'd rather have nothing.

One thing to keep in mind about Skywind having voiced dialogue for the morrowind text is, I hope you fuckin' like those voices because there's so much goddamn text in morrowind. Voice files are going to be half the install size.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The move to everything being fully voiced is the worst thing about newer RPGs.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Skwirl posted:

The move to everything being fully voiced is the worst thing about newer RPGs.

Baldur's Gate perfected voice over work IMO.

Every NPC had their barks, certain NPCs would have an introductory voice line so you knew what they sounded like and plot-important NPCs received large amounts of lines. As a plus the actors were actually able to emote because you didn't have to worry about things like lip syncing. Jon Irenicus wouldn't be a tenth as memorable if it wasn't for the stellar performance of David Warner, he carries the role.

Morrowind's VO was decent to good, it's a real shame that they never used the Dunmer voice actor again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like Baldur's Gate style where most stuff isn't voiced but everyone has good little voice clips anyway to make things sound more lively, and give you audio cues for who is being spoken to or just where ya are. Bonus for "pissed" lines if you keep clicking them.

Fully voiced is a waste, I'm hitting next as soon as I finish reading the subtitles so I almost never hear a fully spoken line completed.

lol @ trying to do VA for all of Morrowind dialogue. 90% of any given NPCs dialogue was copy-pasted from just the list of available topics you had ever learned. Modern games usually have a "journal" or logbook or something tab that keeps track of all that stuff. Morrowind just kind of has all that on every dialogue screen, like every NPC is walking encyclopedia.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Vichan posted:

Morrowind's VO was decent to good, it's a real shame that they never used the Dunmer voice actor again.

he physically couldn't do the role again, it destroyed his throat for a while

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wait he doesn’t do the ghouls in fallout?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vichan posted:

They used him again actually, in Oblivion and Fallout 3. He just refused to do the Dunmer voice again. They did manage to coax him to damage his throat again for the ghost of Saint Jiub in Skyrim's Dawnguard extension.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 15, 2020

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

One thing to keep in mind about Skywind having voiced dialogue for the morrowind text is, I hope you fuckin' like those voices because there's so much goddamn text in morrowind. Voice files are going to be half the install size.

Well good news theyve already said this is a remaster not a remake, so they're cutting most dialogue

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Khanstant posted:

Modern games usually have a "journal" or logbook or something tab that keeps track of all that stuff.

so ... like morrowind, then?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Both Oblivion and Skyrim had E3 videos with gravely voiced Dunmer then in the actual game those characters has completely different voices.

The Generic Elf voice in Oblivion and the Cor blimey guvnah chimney sweep voice in Skyrim.

It's like they know the people crave the raspy growl of old yet don't want to commit to it for a full game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Berke Negri posted:

while this complaint is valid of Morrowind or Oblivion where there's like seriously 10 people doing VA for the entire thing (these games are like 15-20 years old also) when it comes to skyrim i mean you know all games dont have an individual VA for every single NPC right

skyrim has like 80 or so people doing voice work how much more do you want

Oh I wasn't meaning to come across like it was some kind of fatal flaw in the game. I don't really mind at all. I was just observing that steering away from names as big as Ned Stark and Captain Picard didn't in turn lead to a situation where we don't notice the VAs who are doing a dozen roles.

Soricidus posted:

so ... like morrowind, then?

I'm not sure which one it is (Journal Enhanced?), but find the MW mod that removes automatic journal entries and use that. You have to write your own. :getin:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

pickpocket overhaul coming soon

no rng, what you see is what you can steal, savescummers begone

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

gently caress me that’s awesome!

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

I've stopped getting excited for new games and instead get excited for new mods for Morrowind and Daggerfall.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

:aaaaa:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Does it work with light-based sneaking from Stealth Enhanced (MWE mod)? All that does is give you a up-to-65 point bonus or penalty to your sneak skill based on how well-lit the area around you is.

On a related note is there any clear consensus on MWE? I've personally not had issues with it myself, though
there's been negative rumors about it for years. I've never read anything concrete about what it does badly exactly, and given how well-described the Morrowind save format is you'd think that it would be obvious. And fixable, too.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Does it work with light-based sneaking from Stealth Enhanced (MWE mod)? All that does is give you a up-to-65 point bonus or penalty to your sneak skill based on how well-lit the area around you is.

On a related note is there any clear consensus on MWE? I've personally not had issues with it myself, though
there's been negative rumors about it for years. I've never read anything concrete about what it does badly exactly, and given how well-described the Morrowind save format is you'd think that it would be obvious. And fixable, too.
mgexe and the 4gb patch from mcp are already loving with your exe enough that it doesn't need mwe hooking in and bungling things in its 2005-era fashion. the people who work on mwse highly recommend not using MWE

light-based sneaking was rad because it tricked people into thinking it was much more robust than it really was, the code is pretty cool, it calls purgetextures every few lines to prevent crashing

other than that what MWE mod are you really missing? next-gen combat has combat enhanced covered lol

bonus: https://streamable.com/s775e (turn sound on)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

mgexe and the 4gb patch from mcp are already loving with your exe enough that it doesn't need mwe hooking in and bungling things in its 2005-era fashion. the people who work on mwse highly recommend not using MWE

light-based sneaking was rad because it tricked people into thinking it was much more robust than it really was, the code is pretty cool, it calls purgetextures every few lines to prevent crashing

other than that what MWE mod are you really missing? next-gen combat has combat enhanced covered lol

bonus: https://streamable.com/s775e (turn sound on)

I've never actually looked at the code of it, though I was wondering about that myself.

I guess combat is the only mod I really would miss aside from that. The one-button-casting got integrated into MCP and alchemy storage helper was rewritten in MWSE. I guess there's the ghost revival mod too, but that does have the slight issue of not always preventing death, and frankly I've never enjoyed all that much in practice.

I've not played Morrowind for a year or so now so i'm not terribly up to date with the next-gen combat mod. Will give it a go next time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Ok I said I'd never play without using OpenMW again but I'm just about rethinking that now