Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Dawgstar posted:

Valkyrie is still really good. Which I think I've said about every issue now.

I'm sad Ewing's leaving, but I enjoyed the "How to Horse" page at the back of the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
What’s the deal with Aaron’s final issue of Conan being delayed? Is it just down to him writing a ton of books and falling behind?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ty al

e: dang that last page

site fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 15, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1217577576916488192

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Huh. Didn't think Iron Man 2020 would be my favorite thing I have read so far this week, but I guess anything is possible in this new decade.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Venom: The End was a really fun read. Goofy, sweet and managed to get an EVA in there. Actually the first Venom thing I've liked since Cates's run started.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

site posted:

e: dang that last page

Yeah Valkyrie is probably my favorite ongoing at the moment. It's amazing how many great moments are in every single issue, and Jane Foster has really become a great highlight in the comics over the last couple years.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1218261654808473600

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Was House of X a prologue?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TheHan posted:

Venom: The End was a really fun read. Goofy, sweet and managed to get an EVA in there. Actually the first Venom thing I've liked since Cates's run started.

I... have no idea how to respond to that comic.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gavok posted:

I... have no idea how to respond to that comic.

In a good way or a bad way

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Venom: The End was... well, it was absolutely fuckin' bizarre is what it was.

I loved it, and I'm still not sure why.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I like Adam Warren when he plays the game of cramming as many ideas as he can into a small space, and this was definitely that. He's not my favorite and I could never get into Empowered but I think he's having more fun than almost anyone else in this industry. He commits to that sometimes kind of hokey sense of cosmic scale that people have been trying to sporadically graft onto Venom since the mid-90s and he commits hard.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Blockhouse posted:

In a good way or a bad way

A good way. But it's weird as gently caress.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/SorahSuhng/status/1219046708719554562

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh, Venom The End is also a pseudo sequel to Warren's Iron Man Hypervelocity. Neat.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1219266188020154371

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Fully recommend checking out Sorah Suhng's completed Black Cat pieces via the Tweet from Site's post above. https://twitter.com/SorahSuhng

Thrilled to see that this won't involve more "red in her ledger", and is looking to move Nat forward. Also, good for Kelly Thompson that she's Marvel's go-to writer when a lady superhero gets a movie!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

that article has probably the nicest phrasing of "its a movie tie-in so i wasnt allowed to not include these characters, even though i didnt really want to" ive seen

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kelly also seemed to imply she would be running full-tilt from being tied to the MCU as fast as she possibly could.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I was about to give up on Excalibur, but they new issue has me back on board. Not sure if it will withstand the pressure of 6 additional X-men titles but we will see.

The title that has surprised me the most was Iron Man 2020. The first issue was one of my favorite things last week, and I had been super checked out of Tony Stark for a while.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Al Ewing's Guardians is off to a strong start, even if I feel like I'm missing something by not having read Cates' run. That's pretty good reveal at the end.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Got the original art for the first page of my first paying comics gig in the mail today!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
nice

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That rules!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
How much would I even have to pay to get the page with Dr. Bong tying his shoe. Nope, forget it, don't even tell me. But it's still one of my all-time favourite absurd comics moments.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

It can be yours for only $119 US dollars! Down from $170- Sheldon has a sale on and all proceeds go to Australia fire relief.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm watching a bit of Ellen's game show, and with all the stories/rumours/jokes about how she gets a thrill from terrorizing her guests and contestants it makes me think you don't have to go too much further until she's Arcade.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey Vulpes Vulpes, do you still have your day job, or are you a full time writer now? I'm curious because I heard you mention it on a tv interview quite a while back. If you don't want to talk about it, I understand. Don't want to doxx you or anything.

Editv: forgot to also ask, do you get invited to the marvel retreats yet?

Edit2: Thanks for the insight.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 27, 2020

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

No problem: I did resign my position back in November- teaching jr. high and writing comics all the time got to be too much, so I made the jump to full-time freelance as the work was holding out well enough to make it financially possible (also my wife got out of freelance and into a job with dental).

That said, being Canadian has really made that possible- I don't think I'd have made the change if it meant I'd lose my health insurance.

As for retreats, I've not been offered an exclusive contract, which means I'll not be invited to any retreats for the time being.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That Taskmaster book sounds like a step in the right direction, so you’re not seen as just a Spider-Man family writer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They'd be foolish not to lock you down. Have you gotten any offers from other companies?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

A contract is the goal I'm working towards. I'm still a pretty small fish, all things considered, so I'm just out there hustling! But Black Cat seems to be doing well and Taskmaster will be great ride, so we'll see where we go from there.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

No problem: I did resign my position back in November- teaching jr. high and writing comics all the time got to be too much, so I made the jump to full-time freelance as the work was holding out well enough to make it financially possible (also my wife got out of freelance and into a job with dental).

That said, being Canadian has really made that possible- I don't think I'd have made the change if it meant I'd lose my health insurance.

As for retreats, I've not been offered an exclusive contract, which means I'll not be invited to any retreats for the time being.

As a fellow former middle school teacher, I feel like this explains a lot about how you write Black Cat.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

A contract is the goal I'm working towards. I'm still a pretty small fish, all things considered, so I'm just out there hustling! But Black Cat seems to be doing well and Taskmaster will be great ride, so we'll see where we go from there.

Everyone is getting X books lately.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Every issue of BC thus far has been aces and I keep pushing the book to my friends.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Open Marriage Night posted:

What X book would Vulpes like to write?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Roth posted:

What X book would Vulpes like to write?

Fallen Angels but properly.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Where's my X book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

rantmo posted:

Fallen Angels but properly.

I was hype that Husk was going to be in a book again, but I am glad that garbage fire is over. A huge X-men implosion is going to happen sooner or later, but having obviously bad titles like Fallen Angels is only going to accelerate it.