Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

visceril posted:

What the gently caress

I am currently drinking out of a feel the Bern bottle and you dumbshits are making me want to switch my vote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nFvhhCulaw

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
trust me, as someone with UHC it's worth more than anything that happens online

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

visceril posted:

What the gently caress

I am currently drinking out of a feel the Bern bottle and you dumbshits are making me want to switch my vote

as someone with no stake in this particular kerfuffle of the week, it seems weird that your vote in an important election dangles upon such a thin thread

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Homura and Sickle posted:

i went through FEC reports and found im actually her 2nd biggest donor in the entire american military

I just wanna repost this because lmao

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
depending on how deep the refund demand goes he might her biggest donor overall now

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the brad stevens/buttgieg comparison is uncanny and i will never unsee it

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

as someone with no stake in this particular kerfuffle of the week, it seems weird that your vote in an important election dangles upon such a thin thread

that is very clearly a hyperbolic statement

why do elections make everyone dumb as poo poo

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Dreylad posted:

the brad stevens/buttgieg comparison is uncanny and i will never unsee it

he looks like the mouse from ratatouille (2007)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cease to Hope posted:

that is very clearly a hyperbolic statement

why do elections make everyone dumb as poo poo

thank god we have a big brained genius to step in and explain things for us

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

exmarx posted:

i can't get over the fact that warren lied about being indigenous for decades

I'm sure Australia and nz have equivalents to Oklahoma that you can use for conceptualizing how dumb white people pull the "I'm part ____" and it gets perpetuated through generations, like the entire state believes this poo poo it's more pervasive than Confederacy excuses.

On a side note, never go to Oklahoma it's worse than Indiana or volkerballs OSHA non-compliance shack.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
We will bury them!

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Side note people like my mom's side's yooper ancestors kinda had this fabled native legacy poo poo too but they were too busy drinking themselves blind and dying in ditches to tell their illegitimate children consistently enough to stick

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oklahoma is worse than Ohio?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Dreylad posted:

"It's unfortunate that Mr. Trump has taken to twitter to make these angry remarks at a time where Americans are more divided than ever," said Warren running mate Rachel Dolezal

y'all are morons lol

esto es malo posted:

I'm sure Australia and nz have equivalents to Oklahoma that you can use for conceptualizing how dumb white people pull the "I'm part ____" and it gets perpetuated through generations, like the entire state believes this poo poo it's more pervasive than Confederacy excuses.

On a side note, never go to Oklahoma it's worse than Indiana or volkerballs OSHA non-compliance shack.

but yes, its pretty much this. there's an entire bit about american whites creating whole cloth ties to indigenous people as a natvism shtick and it just gets passed down through family lore and becomes accepted truth.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
well at least we might have solved where all the bad advice was coming from

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/1217652126333075456

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Muppets On PCP posted:

well at least we might have solved where all the bad advice was coming from

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/1217652126333075456

Wait wait wait...are you telling me that the people who have been losing elections for the Dems for decades, might have been giving Warren poor advice?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

esto es malo posted:

not really. i'm sure there are people who have apocryphal māori ancestry, but i haven't come across anyone loudly proclaiming their heritage except to explain how they can't be racist. if anything the opposite is more common, where people with māori ancestry feel ashamed of having lost their connection.

outside of genocide denialists there's a decent understanding that, e.g., blood quantum doesn't determine indigeneity; 'looking white' doesn't make you less māori, etc. – that's what i thought the deal was with warren at first!

but no, turns out that she was making the whole thing up and like, writing insanely racist recipes; doesn’t seem to understand why the lie matters; thinks an ancestry test can prove anything, and so on. it's literally worse than the dolezal thing.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lets get nuanced about pow wow chow imo, i'm smart

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

Have you considered screaming YAAAAAAS KWEEN and then writing something like this?
https://twitter.com/page88/status/1217626100639191041

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Homeless Friend posted:

i mean you gotta admit it was a little weird that she was editor in chief of a journal called high cheekbone quarterly for the better part of two decades

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Majorian posted:

Wait wait wait...are you telling me that the people who have been losing elections for the Dems for decades, might have been giving Warren poor advice?

Couldnt happen. Obama didnt listen to them and won.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

exmarx posted:

not really. i'm sure there are people who have apocryphal māori ancestry, but i haven't come across anyone loudly proclaiming their heritage except to explain how they can't be racist. if anything the opposite is more common, where people with māori ancestry feel ashamed of having lost their connection.

outside of genocide denialists there's a decent understanding that, e.g., blood quantum doesn't determine indigeneity; 'looking white' doesn't make you less māori, etc. – that's what i thought the deal was with warren at first!

but no, turns out that she was making the whole thing up and like, writing insanely racist recipes; doesn’t seem to understand why the lie matters; thinks an ancestry test can prove anything, and so on. it's literally worse than the dolezal thing.

you're really misunderstanding the way in which it plays out, pretty broadly across the American midwest and south. like it's not something that like "she" came up with on her own. it literally becomes like an entire part of the fictive lore built around whole families passed down from one generation to the next and so on until it's simple broadly accepted.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
probably fine if a presidential candidate won't even confront profound issues on a personal level

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

exmarx posted:

probably fine if a presidential candidate won't even confront profound issues on a personal level

i mean, she has and has spent a lot of time listening to and working with indigenous people as a candidate? like i guess what it seems you're missing is that this isn't some sort of tale that got built for some reason for Warren to "get affirmative action" or something. Its literally like a part of the backstory people have for their family history and it's told as truth and believed.

I can't even begin to tell you how many people I've met over the years who honestly believe they're some degree of (usually Cherokee) tribal descent. It's a pervasive problem and one that would be good to address, among the other billion things wrong with the way this country has and continues to treat indigenous peoples, but I feel like a tone-deaf conversation that doesn't understand the cultural roots and circumstances that lead to it happening probably isn't the most productive way to talk about it.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 16, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I just read this 6 page factcheck.org article about this dna test and my eyes are opened up big league rn.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

but I feel like a tone-deaf conversation that doesn't understand the cultural roots and circumstances that lead to it happening probably isn't the most productive way to talk about it.

yeah the 23andme thing was a pretty big fuckup

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
anyway this pretty aptly sums up the whole sitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzZTyquHcJY

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

exmarx posted:

Heh

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

anyway this pretty aptly sums up the whole sitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzZTyquHcJY

this is sick

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yeah the 23andme thing was a pretty big fuckup

One that doesn't make me feel terribly hopeful for her chances of beating Trump.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Majorian posted:

One that doesn't make me feel terribly hopeful for her chances of beating Trump.

Even mayo Pete would beat Trump lol don't poop your tactical pants

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

exmarx posted:

the key difference is our shift toward building a noble savage myth around the indigenous peoples we wiped out began at the peak of 19th century race science

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

her attempts at trying to dunk on him on twitter during 2016 should've been the biggest warning she's not cut out for this

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Fortunately tho we have the blessing of living in the Biden nom timeline and won't have to see Pete's face after he docks with his borg station in six months.

Unfortunately it also means we will hear a minimum of at least five challenges to a pushup contest and Trump tossing out some Irish slurs before 2021

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

esto es malo posted:

Even mayo Pete would beat Trump lol don't poop your tactical pants

Nah, neither Pete nor Warren nor Biden have learned a single valuable lesson from 2016.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
buttigieg would manage to lose dc

of course assuming his handlers at langley don't owe him any outstanding favors

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Furnaceface posted:

Oklahoma is worse than Ohio?

Have you been to Oklahoma?

Ohio isn't even worse than Indiana, though it's close

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

esto es malo posted:

Fortunately tho we have the blessing of living in the Biden nom timeline and won't have to see Pete's face after he docks with his borg station in six months.

Unfortunately it also means we will hear a minimum of at least five challenges to a pushup contest and Trump tossing out some Irish slurs before 2021

the best thing about the biden nom will be when during one of his rallies when his eye will fall out of its socket and start rolling on the floor and his aids will crash into eachother trying to catch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

buttigieg's a typical nerd and trump would spend the whole campaign just clearly bullying him and he'd be helpless to respond