Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The worst thing about synthesis was that the loading screen for the nexus looked like a butthole farting blue gas in your face.

yeah yeah turn on your monitor/don't sign your posts/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

my introduction to path of exile was the voice line "Help! Somebody please, help me! I've fallen down here! think i've hurt my leg..."

What a weird rear end game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Elentor posted:

The sad part about Synthesis is how much work went into it. The amount of VA alone is insane.

to be forgotten... a fate worse than death

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So this needs a new thread title.

Path of Exile: Try the Prequel before the Sequel

Path of Exile: Metamorph - Build-A-Boss Workshop

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 16, 2020

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Path of Exile: Metamorph - Now it is time for Tane to go do Einhar business

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

:golfclap:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Rutibex posted:

Woot I found my first Unique worth wearing! :haw:

I mostly like it for the 20% magic-find but 10% movement speed in a helmet is something that I assume can't normally happen and I'll certainly take that too! The lightning resistance is just icing, but the accuracy rating is entirely wasted on my undead army. Ah well, its worth it for the movement speed and magic-find alone.

A cute first unique for a cute little guy. :3:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Another dumb thing about synthesis was map drops were bugged. They lowered the map drop rate in maps to account for synthesis mobs dropping maps, but the synthesis mobs weren't dropping maps the way they were supposed to. So unlike every other league where people would ask if map drops were nerfed and they would get made fun of, map drops were actually completely hosed in synthesis. I ran out of yellow maps myself. It took them a while to fix it, too.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Woot I found my first Unique worth wearing! :haw:

I mostly like it for the 20% magic-find but 10% movement speed in a helmet is something that I assume can't normally happen and I'll certainly take that too! The lightning resistance is just icing, but the accuracy rating is entirely wasted on my undead army. Ah well, its worth it for the movement speed and magic-find alone.

So I'm going to give you some advice because it took me a while to realize the distinction myself.

There are two modifiers, increase to item rarity and increase to item quantity (IIQ). Magic find in this game is the latter. Here's why:

Mostly, you want to earn various orbs that you can trade around for the things you actually want (chaos orbs and exalted orbs in particular). Currency has no quality. So quality doesn't affect you getting better currency drops, but quantity means more of everything drops and the more of everything drops, the more chance of some of that everything being valuable currency.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Toshimo posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Path of Exile: Metamorph - Now it is time for Tane to go do Einhar business

YES

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Oh man, Synthesis. I forgot about the actually bugged maps too — synthesis rares weren't dropping them. It's the league I probably quit the fastest — I think I actually quit before they put global modifiers into the nexus.

The crafting was obtuse and too 1% as mentioned — a normal player like myself just had no way of getting something rewarding or fun by just slamming three fractured items together, whereas at least essences and fossil crafting have a good chance of at least something decent coming out without too much spreadsheeting it or whatever. So the league mechanic was unrewarding, and the rewards from the memory maps were also incredibly low compared to time/effort spent running them (at least for the first 3 weeks or so), and you were prone to rng just completely loving you over by eating a path up two seconds into the start of a map and rendering it unrunnable.

So basically the main mechanic was tedious and unrewarding, so either you tried to interact with it anyway and not have as much fun, or ignored it which felt bad, considering most of us play new leagues to play the new mechanic or else we'd be in standard.

The voice acting was great but another small issue of mine was I was often so focused on completing the memory fragment before it closed that I only half got to listen to the lore bits too. :( I do hope they bring that back somehow if nothing else.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Give me a printout of Einhar smiling

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I think Synthesis could work if the memories were always large and took up 3-4 tiles on the map instead of one, with a variety of shapes. Like tetris! This means you spend less time staring at the board and your pieces, less time in loading zones, and with larger memories they can more easily design the decay to expand from intelligent locations instead of completely random spots that you can't even see sometimes until you walk into a blue pixel and get kicked out. Also goddamn it they really needed to make the edge of the decay more obvious. It should be relatively abrupt instead of so smooth you can't tell when it's moving sometimes.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Another thing about Synthesis league was it was sorta hard to tell what was screwing you over because of bugs or because of RNG when it came to both the crafting and the worse-then-incursion dungeon builder.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Currently trying to setup a Slayer Saviour Cyclone, using Herald of Purity, B&S / F&S, Pride, Vulnerability, Dreadbanner and Precision.
Vulnerability comes from Impresence and Purity is fit in by having a -30% reservation helm and a Circle of Guilt with Effect/Mana Reservation.

Precision I had to bloodmagic, as I was left with 20 mana and precision required 22. :) A small price to pay for saving 6 ex of a lvl 3 enlighten vs lvl 4.
I'm sure it's not necessarily worth it to get everything in, but it's drat fun. Currently trying to craft my helm with -9% phys and get a good chest with -15 mana. I have mediocre ones, but they make me uncapped on resistances. Fun, but expensive crafting project for me and yet another reason to keep delving!

Such a fantastic league. So much stuff I still want to do.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I uh, Leo benched this and got the lightning damage...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Clocks posted:

So I'm going to give you some advice because it took me a while to realize the distinction myself.

There are two modifiers, increase to item rarity and increase to item quantity (IIQ). Magic find in this game is the latter. Here's why:

Mostly, you want to earn various orbs that you can trade around for the things you actually want (chaos orbs and exalted orbs in particular). Currency has no quality. So quality doesn't affect you getting better currency drops, but quantity means more of everything drops and the more of everything drops, the more chance of some of that everything being valuable currency.
You can also sometimes find, like, strongboxes that have increases to item rarity in the hundreds or over a thousand, and it doesn't seem to have a very dramatic effect on what drops, either. The rarity on that hat is neglible.

The movement speed seems nice, though.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

I've never sold a multi-ex item, how would you guys price this?

When i search trade (right now?), the only multimoded with similar stats seem to be 10-11ex but they have a fire damage roll instead of my lovely phys one. Although i'm not sure if this matters since this was mostly to play with VD/DD.

:derp:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Oh also I actually bothered recording a Sirus run with this dumb meme ballista poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl2aRTbJlh0

It turns out a mana regen + int ring and lvl 20 Clarity over Grace gives enough mana regen to not need a flask if I replace a link with Inspiration. Neuters my damage to not use Pyre and use a suboptimal link but as you can see it doesn't really matter.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I appreciate this post, thank you for your service.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Hi i'm bad and likely am doing many many things wrong with my armageddon brand hiero. Can anyone help point me towards gear i should be aiming for? i've got like 3ex and 120c.
I don't mind if i'm not ideal dps or whatever, but i'm finding i just randomly explode while mapping so i'm probably getting physical critted or something? i thought i'd taken plenty of life/mana/ES and MoM nodes so i don't get it!

https://pastebin.com/DCjdBLNm

i'm just so lost on what equipment i should be buying to stop me exploding because i don't understand what's 'good'.
(ignore some of the random skillgems i'm just leveling them up in spare socket slots right now)

i'm thinking trying to get a Kaoms chest armour but don't know if 500 life will make that much difference?

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
So I sold my mirror and now how 200ex sitting in my stash. I'm thinking of dumping it into an ice shot, CoC ice nova, or frostbolt character. Any thoughts on which might be better for doing all content well? I'd ideally like to be clearing t16 maps super fast while being able to take down metamorphs quickly and safely.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

So I sold my mirror and now how 200ex sitting in my stash. I'm thinking of dumping it into an ice shot, CoC ice nova, or frostbolt character. Any thoughts on which might be better for doing all content well? I'd ideally like to be clearing t16 maps super fast while being able to take down metamorphs quickly and safely.

Grats man, that's amazing and must be super fun!
I would dump the currency in a Head Hunter, Saviour and tricked out Paradoxica, likely. Just for the sheer awesomeness.
I'd take any build that works well with a Head Hunter, so from your list either the CoC Nova or Ice Shot I think?

More experienced / HH people can probably give better suggestions, but do post your character now and then when you are gearing. :)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Zoo necro lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Coc with HH would be completely insane. If you put 80-100 ex into it without hh it will already trivialize basically everything

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Coc with HH would be completely insane. If you put 80-100 ex into it without hh it will already trivialize basically everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUx5hKM_pRA

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I wonder if I could still realistically work towards a Headhunter by selling off characters, farming and moving everything to exalts / doctor cards... :(
I'd love to own one, but I don't think I have what it takes to get there. It will probably run away from me every week I grind.
Yeah just checked. 92 exalts.. Never mind! I'd be lucky to hit 30-40 exalts with a ton of work / selling off everything.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So after Sirus appears again that you can fight him how long does he "lasts" to be fought?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Afaik zana will hang onto it forever until you start the encounter by opening the portals but until you finish it or lose all portals you can't spawn any conquerors

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Ultima66 posted:

Oh also I actually bothered recording a Sirus run with this dumb meme ballista poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl2aRTbJlh0

It turns out a mana regen + int ring and lvl 20 Clarity over Grace gives enough mana regen to not need a flask if I replace a link with Inspiration. Neuters my damage to not use Pyre and use a suboptimal link but as you can see it doesn't really matter.

This fight looked like it was 30 seconds of combat and 5 minutes of walking around. Is this what the end game looks like?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its just that fight in particular

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Does it matter if I run Zana dailies at T15 or T16 in terms of her inventory updates and what she offers?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Stangg posted:

Does it matter if I run Zana dailies at T15 or T16 in terms of her inventory updates and what she offers?

No

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

poemdexter posted:

This fight looked like it was 30 seconds of combat and 5 minutes of walking around. Is this what the end game looks like?

It's a new fight.

It... isn't well received.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
ggg is extremely bad at designing bosses, and the ones are good have been in spite of neon or whoever is designing them, not because of them

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

pokchu posted:

ggg is extremely bad at designing bosses, and the ones are good have been in spite of neon or whoever is designing them, not because of them

The last time I played there was only 4 acts, and I fought the Act 5 giant statue Diablo 3 Belial clone last night. I thought it was pretty interesting. I mean, the way some builds just delete everything, I can totally understand wanting to give bosses invincibility for a bit so that the player actually has to experience the content a little, heh.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

The boss design is fine I think. Even the not-well received ones are doing pretty well after changing some numbers (Catharina), but Sirus was pretty hard and very buggy and instead of just fixing the bugs, they turned his storms into the most boring mechanic known to mankind.
Aul was pretty cool (and so were the other two delve bosses), the Synthesis bosses were mostly fine, but map mods turned them into unkillable monsters sometimes, Elder/Shaper/UElder are all really fun encounters, shaper guardians are pretty cool and elder guardians are pretty meh, bordering on annoying with the Eradicator.
The new conquerers are hit and miss, Redeemer is cool, Hunter has his rotation of abilities that just feel very boring, Drox is an unfun slog and Baran feels like they outsourced the design to someone without telling him its for an ARPG and not an MMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Wuxi posted:

The boss design is fine I think. Even the not-well received ones are doing pretty well after changing some numbers (Catharina), but Sirus was pretty hard and very buggy and instead of just fixing the bugs, they turned his storms into the most boring mechanic known to mankind.
Aul was pretty cool (and so were the other two delve bosses), the Synthesis bosses were mostly fine, but map mods turned them into unkillable monsters sometimes, Elder/Shaper/UElder are all really fun encounters, shaper guardians are pretty cool and elder guardians are pretty meh, bordering on annoying with the Eradicator.
The new conquerers are hit and miss, Redeemer is cool, Hunter has his rotation of abilities that just feel very boring, Drox is an unfun slog and Baran feels like they outsourced the design to someone without telling him its for an ARPG and not an MMO

Except that all of the bosses you mentioned as "fine, now" had all of the same problems that you list current league bosses as having. Catarina wasn't just a matter of changing numbers, the fight was obscenely buggy, with half of the animations not even showing up. Elder was the same way for the first iteration.

Ever since GGG started going down the path of being Dark Souls-Lite for its endgame, the bosses have always been released as utter hot garbage be it mechanical, numerical, or technical. Also, swaths of invincibility frames is really, really stupid for a game not built around them in the slightest.