Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Takoluka posted:

SW4 is fun. WO3 is only worth playing if it's the Ultimate version. They're not connected in a way that matters, so you can play in any order.

Cool! Why is WO3 only good if it's the Ultimate version? Looks like it may only be the base version. I'm guessing there's a lot of missing DLC and whatnot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Der-Wreck posted:

Cool! Why is WO3 only good if it's the Ultimate version? Looks like it may only be the base version. I'm guessing there's a lot of missing DLC and whatnot?

Yeah, it's just an incomplete game. It's not a huge deal, especially if it's just on PSNow, but if you're straight up buying it, Ultimate is the way to go.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
WO3 Ultimate is just WO3 plus WAAAAY more content.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Uncle Ulty posted:

I could never go back to no Gauntlet Mode.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Uncle Ulty posted:

Never played Ultimate. I had the original and thought it was a great game. Wish 3 ultimate would come to pc.
Guess I will have to make do with WO4 updates.

Still loving DW3 xtreme legends though.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I've just Platinumed Samurai Warriors 4-II. That's 4 Musou games completed 100% in 13 months, including DW9 and WO3 Ultimate.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Every time I fire up WO3U to try to get the rest of the Gauntlet Mode requests done I don't get much done. I wish it just tracked them all at once.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Which Samurai Warriors game should I play for the story? I ask because DW7 did a pretty decent overview of the Three Kingdoms era, while DW8 seemed to assume rather more prior knowledge.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
4-1. 4-2 is basically an expansion pack with just character stories.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What do objectives do in SW4? I know that in other games, they unlock cool toys and extra missions if you do enough of them, but the game hasn't told me anything this time around.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I've only played SW4-2, but if it's the same, they usually give your side better morale or other benefits in-battle, they get you experience at the end of the battle, and the Rare Weapons require you to complete specific ones to obtain them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV is crossing over with Atelier Ryza and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

I'd like to know what these multiple "Editor Functionalities" in the season pass are.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do find it interesting that Samurai Warriors decided to make Hideyoshi the nicest of the Three Unifiers. I mean, this isn't even a Guan Yu situation - both Japanese folklore and the historical record paint him as a brutal, erratic, and sexually rapacious tyrant, and that's before we get to what he did to Korea. Even having Goemon Ishikawa in the same game as awkward, idealistic nice guy Hideyoshi seems weird.

I know that the Warriors series likes to play fast and loose with the historical record, but they usually have their major characters within shouting distance of their historical/folkloric personalities.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's probably a japanese media meme cause he's a monkey joker in other medias.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

It's probably a japanese media meme cause he's a monkey joker in other medias.

Eh, I've seen plenty of Japanese works that paint him as a right rear end in a top hat. Nioh, Onimusha, and Sengoku Basara immediately come to mind.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Policenaut posted:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV is crossing over with Atelier Ryza and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

I'd like to know what these multiple "Editor Functionalities" in the season pass are.

What the heck.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

brutal,

Missing.

quote:

erratic,

Still present, though they've been scaling it back since Samurai Warriors 1.

quote:

and sexually rapacious

Held in check by Nene. There's a reason he keeps hitting on everyone.

quote:

tyrant

Oddly enough, missing.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I do find it interesting that Samurai Warriors decided to make Hideyoshi the nicest of the Three Unifiers. I mean, this isn't even a Guan Yu situation - both Japanese folklore and the historical record paint him as a brutal, erratic, and sexually rapacious tyrant, and that's before we get to what he did to Korea. Even having Goemon Ishikawa in the same game as awkward, idealistic nice guy Hideyoshi seems weird.

I know that the Warriors series likes to play fast and loose with the historical record, but they usually have their major characters within shouting distance of their historical/folkloric personalities.

All three unifiers of Japan get softened quite a bit in Samurai Warriors- Tokugawa is a protective, soft-hearted father to his men figure who only in SW4 finally shows signs of (incredibly reluctantly) taking the first steps towards becoming the ruthless warlord who slaughtered many who committed even minor slights against him and created one of the most controlling and rigid caste systems in recorded history.

Even Oda Nobunaga in the later games mostly gets treated as a man who seems intent in uniting Japan by mostly pissing the entirety of it off at himself because it's the only way to get them to stop killing each other, then willingly take a dirt nap to let whichever of his vassals manages to rise up take over in his place afterwards.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV is out in Asia today. 6 more weeks until it comes out in English.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I know it's not an Officer game but how is it looking as a Lord game?

Also interesting note, Koei is doing something new for XIV: they're offering Power-Up Kit features as standalone DLC. Apparently they're still going to do a PUK for XIV too, so I guess that's a GOTY style release or maybe it has even more?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

well i'll just open up a stream and gah!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

lets hang out posted:

well i'll just open up a stream and gah!

Historically accurate reaction to Zhang Fei's presence

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Steam reviews are not happy. Apparently 30fps lock & memory leak & bad performance without top of line gear & crashes/failure to loads

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 16, 2020

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

Mr. Locke posted:

All three unifiers of Japan get softened quite a bit in Samurai Warriors- Tokugawa is a protective, soft-hearted father to his men figure who only in SW4 finally shows signs of (incredibly reluctantly) taking the first steps towards becoming the ruthless warlord who slaughtered many who committed even minor slights against him and created one of the most controlling and rigid caste systems in recorded history.

Even Oda Nobunaga in the later games mostly gets treated as a man who seems intent in uniting Japan by mostly pissing the entirety of it off at himself because it's the only way to get them to stop killing each other, then willingly take a dirt nap to let whichever of his vassals manages to rise up take over in his place afterwards.

To add to this, I've seen Nobunaga, Toyotomi, and Tokugawa portrayed both positively and negatively in various games, movies, and manga, depending on what story the author is going for. General rule is if the unifiers are young men, they are idealistic underdogs who fought against older, stronger feudal lords. If the unifiers are old, then they are tyrants that refuse to cede power to the next generation.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

lurksion posted:

Steam reviews are not happy. Apparently 30fps lock & memory leak & bad performance without top of line gear & crashes/failure to loads

JFC why can't Koei get their poo poo together when it comes to their strategy titles? XIII also ran like rear end for me.

The presentation also bugs me in how 'busy' it all looks, I much preferred the more laid back approach that VIII took and X perfected. The animated Zhang Fei portrait will haunt my dreams tonight.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Yeah X is still the peak for me in the whole ROTK series. Still have the physical copy actually. Play it when I'm super super bored still.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So does anyone else hate the Thriller Bark stage in Pirate Warriors 3 as much as I do? It's just absolutely awful. Everything about it sucks, from the mist, to the poorly-translated mission goals, to fighting Oars.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Commander Keene posted:

So does anyone else hate the Thriller Bark stage in Pirate Warriors 3 as much as I do? It's just absolutely awful. Everything about it sucks, from the mist, to the poorly-translated mission goals, to fighting Oars.

That stage is infamous around here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

symphoniccacophony posted:

To add to this, I've seen Nobunaga, Toyotomi, and Tokugawa portrayed both positively and negatively in various games, movies, and manga, depending on what story the author is going for. General rule is if the unifiers are young men, they are idealistic underdogs who fought against older, stronger feudal lords. If the unifiers are old, then they are tyrants that refuse to cede power to the next generation.

I think the main thing is that Hideyoshi seems to have less material for a sympathetic portrayal than the other two, both in folklore and in history. Nobunaga usually has a degree of 'chaotic rear end in a top hat' baked in, letting adaptations go 'well, he wasn't just that', and Ieyasu is just a guy who played the game and played it well - he was cruel, but rarely unusually cruel and rarely without purpose, and spent most of his life just trying to survive in incredibly perilous conditions. Hideyoshi, meanwhile, was a casually murderous serial rapist who pulled the ladder up behind himself and created the brutally rigid caste system that the Tokugawa shogunate was built on, and then squandered any gains from the peace he had built by plunging the country into an even bigger and stupider war. Also, he gruesomely executed a popular folk hero (in folklore) and was the first and most enthusiastically brutal persecutor of Christians in Japan (in history) - Ieyasu appears to have gone for a more conciliatory approach until the Spanish Empire made it clear they weren't going to stop being imperialist assholes.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Commander Keene posted:

That level is a special kind of hell. Worst part about it is a lot of characters' gold coins are locked behind Thriller Bark's requirements, all of which are a huge pain in the rear end.

Best thing I've learned is the requirement where you have to play as Brook, it's best to play as his pre-time-skip version. He just plays better .

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PW4 is skipping thriller bark which alone means it's going to be a better game than PW3

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is think I stopped PW3 just before Thriller Bark and I get the feeling I am better for it

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

PW4 is skipping thriller bark which alone means it's going to be a better game than PW3

I could see making a fun warriors-style map out of that story arc, but it absolutely needs to omit things like the fog and Oars battle. Just focus on zombie swarms and Moria, then have Oars be a cutscene at the end, or have him jumping around in the background or whatever. If they must include an Oars fight, make it its own optional stage where all of the prizes can be easily obtained elsewhere.

edit: Actually, thinking about it, just have Oars be an unattackable stage element. Instead of a door closing or opening to change the paths around, have him stomp around and break the path with Franky and Usopp going to fix it.

HPanda fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 17, 2020

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the main thing is that Hideyoshi seems to have less material for a sympathetic portrayal than the other two, both in folklore and in history. Nobunaga usually has a degree of 'chaotic rear end in a top hat' baked in, letting adaptations go 'well, he wasn't just that', and Ieyasu is just a guy who played the game and played it well - he was cruel, but rarely unusually cruel and rarely without purpose, and spent most of his life just trying to survive in incredibly perilous conditions. Hideyoshi, meanwhile, was a casually murderous serial rapist who pulled the ladder up behind himself and created the brutally rigid caste system that the Tokugawa shogunate was built on, and then squandered any gains from the peace he had built by plunging the country into an even bigger and stupider war. Also, he gruesomely executed a popular folk hero (in folklore) and was the first and most enthusiastically brutal persecutor of Christians in Japan (in history) - Ieyasu appears to have gone for a more conciliatory approach until the Spanish Empire made it clear they weren't going to stop being imperialist assholes.

I would say the younger version Hideyoshi is more often portrayed as the classic rags to riches story. The peasant boy who became a lord through his own cleverness and political talent, the willy underling that worked with the common people to accomplish tasks that arrogant samurais could not. His cruelty and bitterness came when he was older, surrounded by rival political factions, with no strong clan of his own as backup, and no male heir until he was quite old.

But my original comment is that different media have portrayed him as either folk hero and tyrant, usually based on what narratives the authors want to push and what time period they focus, because he's a complex historical person and not a comic super villain whose personality is a binary saint/devil light switch. But let's just agree to disagree because this is getting off topic.

symphoniccacophony fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 18, 2020

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
If anyone is still playing DW9, could I ask if you could look in the Encyclopedia: Terms real quick? I'm missing an entry between "Jiuzhaigou" and "Lake Chao", and I can't figure out if it's something on the map that I need to go see, or if it's part of an event for a character I haven't played yet. It would be great if someone would be willing to check on that for me.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't have those unlocked, but I do have an entry that I think is what goes between them.

It says to see also: Cao Pi and Zhenji.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Thank you! That's gotta be the one, there are no other entries that start with K. I've played Cao Pi already, but not Zhenji, so that must be where that entry comes in.

That's been bugging me for a while, I appreciate it!

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Hrm, okay, so I finished Zhenji's story mode, and that "Kingdom's Bane" Encyclopedia Term didn't pop up. Now I need to figure out what I have to do to get it to show up. If it's related to Zhenji specifically, I can only think of either building up a bond with her or speaking to her in town. But I'm thinking that description in the Encyclopedia also could apply to Diaochan, so there's a small chance it could show up by playing as her as well.

It's a good thing they didn't tie an achievement to the Terms in DW9, because it's not clear at all how to find all of these.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm glad the Ultimate version of WO4 will have promotion (not to mention the ability to switch equipped magic) because it feels wrong not having everyone maxed out.

I just hope they add more outfits for characters. There's a whole costume section that's woefully underutilized. For one, they could start by adding all of the DW9 costumes for the rest of the DW cast. Whatever the quality of the gameplay in DW9, a lot of the updated costumes for characters in that game are really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, the character design in 9 is absolutely top notch and I hope they stick with it going forward despite the game being badly-received.