Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just started playing Rocket Knight Adventures in Genesis and it's really fun. Not too hard so far and the platforming is pretty seamless and quick. It's kinda sonic-like actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Gen sequel is even more like Sonic.

People like SNES Sparkster because it's more like Rocket Knight, but MD's the one for me.

The first stage's music is so bangin'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb_gPOJi0ic

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 15, 2020

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Am I weird that I prefer Rocket Knight Adventures over Sparkster?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I like how he uses his lil possum tail to slide on branches. I never knew I needed an opossum protagonist until now.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Azubah posted:

Rocket Knight Adventures is an almost perfect 16-bit action game, so nope.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Azubah posted:

No, cause that's everyone in the world except me.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Azubah posted:

Rocket Knight Adventures is dramatically better than the sequels.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Since you guys had such great feed back on the N64 Controller question, here is another N64 question.

What is the thread's consensus on the Hyperkin 3-In-1 HDTV Cable for GameCube/ N64/ Super NES?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SCPHHVB/

I have all three systems, I've lost my Gamecube component cables, and I broke my S-Video cable as well. Thought this may be a decent and cheap solution for someone like me that probably is not super picky about color. But was wondering if it was even worth the $25 to upgrade over a composite cable.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Astro7x posted:

Since you guys had such great feed back on the N64 Controller question, here is another N64 question.

What is the thread's consensus on the Hyperkin 3-In-1 HDTV Cable for GameCube/ N64/ Super NES?

I have all three systems, I've lost my Gamecube component cables, and I broke my S-Video cable as well. Thought this may be a decent and cheap solution for someone like me that probably is not super picky about color. But was wondering if it was even worth the $25 to upgrade over a composite cable.

If that's the kind of cable I think it is (the ones commonly referred to as "Pound cables") from the design and specs (they're sold by a lot of manufacturers), they've got a tendency to misinterpret 240p signals as 480i and cause issues with shimmering and other artifacting as a result, plus variable lag. This is a guess, though.

I'm a fan of the RAD2X (https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SUPER-NINTENDO-PAL-GAMECUBE-N64-HD-RAD2X-HDMI-CABLE) a similar "convert Nintendo Multi-Out to HDMI with a simple plug and play solution", and have one, but it's £48 so it's your call on how much you're willing to spend on this understandably.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
FWIW you can get stupidly cheap cables from Aliexpress or eBay. I think I paid ~$5 for my N64 S-Video cable. It took a few weeks, but hey, $5.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It would be more of the convenience of having a HDMI cable that works for all 3 systems. I don't even think $5 is worth upgrading to S-Video.

I think that other converter is much more than I am willing to pay.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Astro7x posted:

I have one and the video signal is tinted blue. It now sits at the bottom of a drawer, never to be used again.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Got my EZ Flash Jr today. It's littered with broken English and I love it. Games load a lot faster, the build quality is surprisingly really nice. It has an internal button that you press by pushing down on the "bump" where most GBC games had their, y'know, bump. It doesn't have the cutout to fit in a regular DMG Gameboy, but I think that's just a massive oversight. Apparently it works in everything, so you'd need to have yours modded to cut that thing out if you got it for the original Gameboy.

All in all, well worth the $40 I spent on it.

e: The EZ Flash Omega came in too. Works just like previous ones, but load times are stupid quick.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 16, 2020

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Astro7x posted:

I don't have that cable, but I have the Hyperkin Dreamcast to HDMI cable.

It sucks. Every couple of minutes, it would suddenly start flashing between two frames for a second or so, then jump back to normal. I didn't think it was my DC because it worked fine over the RCA cables, so I wound up getting a Gekko (which also uses the VGA output and converts it to HDMI), and that's been working fine.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Has Hyperkin ever made anything good? They even hosed up the Virtual Boy visor (there's no space for your nose like the oem one).

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

Got my EZ Flash Jr today. It's littered with broken English and I love it. Games load a lot fast, the build quality is surprisingly really nice. It has an internal button that you press by pushing down on the "bump" where most GBC games had their, know, bump. It doesn't have the cutout to fit in a regular DMG Gameboy, but I think that's just a massive oversight. Apparently it works in everything, so you'd need to have yours modded to cut that thing out if you got it for that.

e: The EZ Flash Omega came in too. Works just like previous ones, but load times are stupid quick.

Wow, I didn't even know this thing existed. Where did you pick yours up? I'll probably buy one as I was heehawing between the X5 and X7, but I love my EZ flash omega and the $50 price tag makes this an easy choice.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Bank posted:

Wow, I didn't even know this thing existed. Where did you pick yours up? I'll probably buy one as I was heehawing between the X5 and X7, but I love my EZ flash omega and the $50 price tag makes this an easy choice.

I had to order it from China off eBay, so about two weeks total. Apparently it had been announced days before I decided to pick it up.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
I've got some sega genesis controllers where the wire at the part where it connects to the controller is exposed (the sheathing is pushed up). what can be done to salvage these? electrical tape wont hold.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

LODGE NORTH posted:

Got my EZ Flash Jr today. It's littered with broken English and I love it. Games load a lot fast, the build quality is surprisingly really nice. It has an internal button that you press by pushing down on the "bump" where most GBC games had their, know, bump. It doesn't have the cutout to fit in a regular DMG Gameboy, but I think that's just a massive oversight. Apparently it works in everything, so you'd need to have yours modded to cut that thing out if you got it for that.

What's the difference between this and the Everdrive, besides price? Save states and compatibility?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

TheHoosier posted:

What's the difference between this and the Everdrive, besides price? Save states and compatibility?

For the gba model, the everdrive sticks out of the console about 3/4" whereas the ez flash is the same size as a gba cart.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Zand posted:

I've got some sega genesis controllers where the wire at the part where it connects to the controller is exposed (the sheathing is pushed up). what can be done to salvage these? electrical tape wont hold.

Heat shrink, if you can fit it over the connecter.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Has Hyperkin ever made anything good? They even hosed up the Virtual Boy visor (there's no space for your nose like the oem one).

My 6 button MD clone pad from them is good.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

Their Tribute N64 controller is nice, but it sure seems like everything else they make is trash. I own their SNES mouse, which doesn’t work with several games I tried it with, and the connector is such a tight fit in the controller port that I practically had to hammer it in.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I was looking for the EZ Flash Junior on eBay and saw some related results.

Wait, what the gently caress is this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202865627206

Looks like an Everdrive X5 clone? I don't see anyone online talking about this particular thing, but it's very obviously a counterfeit..

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Fleedar posted:

Their Tribute N64 controller is nice, but it sure seems like everything else they make is trash. I own their SNES mouse, which doesn’t work with several games I tried it with, and the connector is such a tight fit in the controller port that I practically had to hammer it in.

I got clone SNES controllers from them that both didn't especially work very well and wouldn't come out easily. Like I worried I'd break my console getting them out they were so stuck in there. (They came out eventually, but yikes.)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Beat Aerial Assault on SMS today. It had a really awesome stage two background:

As you play, the sun keeps setting further and each time the colors change. Thought it was pretty impressive for a SMS shmup. Unfortunately I didn't care for the gameplay. The game gives you weapon powerups pretty frequently, the problem is not all of the weapons are good and the powerups actually seek your ship out so you have to dodge things you don't want. This also applies to bombs, if you've got the bomb powerup that basically destroys anything you have to dodge the lovely bomb drops. Also applies to speed ups... if you get more than one speedup you are going to run into poo poo and die. A lot of the games difficulty is wrapped up in spending a lot of time dodging the powerups you don't want and it just seemed kind of lovely.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

So I'm having a problem with my gba everdrive where a lot of .gba files launch and immediately give me a message that says "the saved data is corrupt" even for games I haven't ever loaded up.

Anyone seen this?

So apparently there are multiple "save modes" that gba games use and you can set them per-rom in the everdrive settings before launching the game.

Is there an easy way to figure out which one a specific game uses before playing it so you don't have to guess?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There's lists and websites to search for specific roms and what save format they use, if the Everdrive fails to pick the correct one for some games.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

As far as I know, the only difference between the Junior and the GB X7 is save states. The Junior claims to support RTC, but I have yet to test that out - I'll do that in about an hour or so.

The GBA one, I'm not sure outside of physicality. The Omega is slyly the size of the DS Lite slot-2 "port" but it's inside a GBA cart sized shell. They ship out a DS Lite sized one in case you wanted to snugly plug it into that too. But beyond that, I'm not really sure there are any limitations. I've used EZ Flash carts for years upon years and never had any compatibility issues. Honestly, I could've kept the IV running, but the Omega and the Junior together were priced less than half the cost of one GB X7, so why not.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Astro7x posted:

I've had good results with these S-video cables if you are looking for a cheap improvement over composite.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132861494962

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Their Vive gel skins are fantastic and mitigate dents from stupid accidents in VR.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I decided to pick up a green Brawler 64 after seeing all the endorsements in this thread. I’ve been playing a lot of Nintendo 64 lately, I can’t wait to try it out and not constantly worry about my joystick grinding to dust while I’m playing

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I have finally been able to get my N64 to look like a PS1 (even back in 1997 the smeary N64 vaseline look used to drive me nuts). All fixed now:

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 16, 2020

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

katkillad2 posted:

Beat Aerial Assault on SMS today. It had a really awesome stage two background:

As you play, the sun keeps setting further and each time the colors change. Thought it was pretty impressive for a SMS shmup. Unfortunately I didn't care for the gameplay. The game gives you weapon powerups pretty frequently, the problem is not all of the weapons are good and the powerups actually seek your ship out so you have to dodge things you don't want. This also applies to bombs, if you've got the bomb powerup that basically destroys anything you have to dodge the lovely bomb drops. Also applies to speed ups... if you get more than one speedup you are going to run into poo poo and die. A lot of the games difficulty is wrapped up in spending a lot of time dodging the powerups you don't want and it just seemed kind of lovely.

Hey, I remember that game. I had the Game Gear version. I wonder if it's appreciably different from the SMS version. I remember it not being very good, but it was a shmup I could play in short bursts so it was in the regular rotation.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Milkman posted:

Hey, I remember that game. I had the Game Gear version. I wonder if it's appreciably different from the SMS version. I remember it not being very good, but it was a shmup I could play in short bursts so it was in the regular rotation.

While the Game Gear and SMS couldn't have 1:1 ports, the hardware was extremely close and so a lot of late Master System games are effectively identical to the Game Gear version. It's probably how it was still reasonable to make Master System ports of things for Europe and Brazil up through '96.

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Have GDEMU clones really gotten this cheap or am I losing something in the translation here?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GDEMU-Opti...OssQbcVIdfcq3vw

E: nevermind. There are color options which means it’s more likely the 3D printed tray adapter for the GDEMU

I've ordered one of these so hopefully I'll know in however many weeks it takes to arrive.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

katkillad2 posted:

I loved Renegade on the NES, so looking forward to it!

Welcome to superior collision detection and “losing vignettes.” I’m saying it’s better than the arcade port and it’s not close.

Seriously, boot that poo poo up and die once.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQMd06fWkHI

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Kempo posted:

I've ordered one of these so hopefully I'll know in however many weeks it takes to arrive.

I to have taken a punt on this, the cheapest on eBay UK was £33, this one works out at £2.22 with shipping from China .......I’m not hopeful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz2k21 posted:

I to have taken a punt on this, the cheapest on eBay UK was £33, this one works out at £2.22 with shipping from China .......I’m not hopeful

Worst case is we're out two quid and get one of those weird little boxes in the pictures.