Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Pence being caught up in this may be an explanation why so much of the GOP is unwilling to bite the bullet and just throw Trump out. If he goes there's probably a good chance that Pence goes with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

would bet money this will be the part of the interview we find out is at least partially lies

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

lol cool there are two christmases this year

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 16, 2020

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

eke out posted:

so this bit, right here, "he didn't take Hyde seriously and never believed him about surveillance or putting Yovanovich in danger"

complete with him laughing as if Hyde is such a goof?

this is where he's covering his rear end

Yeah I agree. The "he couldn't be drunk the whole week" "he was drunk the whole week, yes" thing was funny though

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

look, Parnas's lawyer would've been stupid not to thoroughly prepare Parnas for what he can and can't say re: Hyde threatening Yovanovich

no doubt they practiced this more than nearly anything else

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
So what are the senators madly tweeting in response to all this? It sure seems like Trump was running his own little government and this shows a fairly thorough campaign of extortion. Lemme guess,

"Witnesses? We ain't got no witnesses! We don't need no stinkin witnesses!"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/OrinKerr/status/1217640558312726529
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1217640739590623233
https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1217640287494950912

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Nunes too, nice.

I know Parnas is a slimeball but there are no non-slimeballs around Trump. If people are waiting for someone respectable to talk we'll be waiting a long time.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Isn't Lev Parnas the guy tho who is getting more time because the FBI said he couldn't be trusted?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Isn't Lev Parnas the guy tho who is getting more time because the FBI said he couldn't be trusted?

Difference here that we have his texts, and they back up what he is claiming.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

no

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Can they just impeach Trump again for a different reason once all of this evidence is collated properly?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

redreader posted:

Can they just impeach Trump again for a different reason once all of this evidence is collated properly?

Yes.

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1217644269101404161?s=21

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Lev definitely sounds believable. He's a piece of poo poo, but he states the narrative plainly.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Pence being caught up in this may be an explanation why so much of the GOP is unwilling to bite the bullet and just throw Trump out. If he goes there's probably a good chance that Pence goes with him.

The GOP was never going to throw Trump out.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So I hope to hear, "Oh yeah the Senate should have this guy as a witness too don't you think?" Really tie this one around McConnel's neck. Probably be totally ignored but it's about all that can be done at this point.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Yeah all of a sudden I think we're gonna be back to a show trial.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

So I hope to hear, "Oh yeah the Senate should have this guy as a witness too don't you think?" Really tie this one around McConnel's neck. Probably be totally ignored but it's about all that can be done at this point.

McConnell said yesterday he's cool with wintesses, but he's going to poison the well by letting the craziest cranks in his caucus call people like Joe and Hunter Biden in to defend themselves and make the trial all about them.

He's already working triple time to corrupt this thing because he's within his right to believe it's ultimately not going to matter.

That said, yeah... tonight might change the calculus a bit, and god knows what Part 2 of that interview is gonna bring tomrrow.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

McConnell said yesterday he's cool with wintesses, but he's going to poison the well by letting the craziest cranks in his caucus call people like Joe and Hunter Biden in to defend themselves and make the trial all about them.

He's already working triple time to corrupt this thing because he's within his right to believe it's ultimately not going to matter.

That said, yeah... tonight might change the calculus a bit, and god knows what Part 2 of that interview is gonna bring tomrrow.

i cannot say this often enough but: republican senators will not be calling anyone as witnesses, the only crazy cranks trying to call witnesses will be Donald J Trump's lawyers

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

eke out posted:

i cannot say this often enough but: republican senators will not be calling anyone as witnesses, the only crazy cranks trying to call witnesses will be Donald J Trump's lawyers

Do you mean defense witnesses? Or do you mean 4 defecting GOP senators demanding parnas and Bolton (at the very least) be subpoenaed?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pander posted:

Do you mean defense witnesses? Or do you mean 4 defecting GOP senators demanding parnas and Bolton (at the very least) be subpoenaed?

no senator will be calling witnesses, they will (probably, eventually) be voting on which witnesses trump will be allowed to call

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1217645011703160832

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

i know it probably doesnt exist because turtle is a psycho but at what point does he just let trump hang and just settle for pence. he knows he can probably get the dems to ignore pences involvement if its vague enough. like i know these loving assholes dont care about legacies and poo poo. but jesus.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another thing that has come up out of this:

The whole scheme was cooked up by Manafort, through his ties to Ukraine.

Trump had it all worked out with Lutsenko and Shokin to manufacture dirt on Biden through Hunter's ties with Burisma.

Lutsenko is the one who wanted Yanukovich gone - getting rid of her was the price of getting Lutsenko's cooperation. This is the deal the whole Republican party was in on and Fox News was gearing up to trumpet through the election (a rerun of Hillary's email nonsense). This is why so many right-wing personalities are tied up in it. They thought it would gift-wrap the 2020 election for Trump, and everyone wanted a piece of the credit.

Then Zelensky unexpectedly won the election in May, trashing everything. Trump went into panic mode to try to resurrect his scheme and it blew up in his face.

So the Republican/Fox News plan is to use the trial to inject all the Biden stuff into the media that they'd loaded up in their cannons with.

We will need at least four Republican Senators with the backbone to shut it down and not let the circus witnesses be called. If that same group can get Bolton, Parnas, Pompeo, and a couple others to the stand, we might actually have a real trial with a just outcome.

That's the path through at this point. We'll have to see what unfolds.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i know it probably doesnt exist because turtle is a psycho but at what point does he just let trump hang and just settle for pence. he knows he can probably get the dems to ignore pences involvement if its vague enough. like i know these loving assholes dont care about legacies and poo poo. but jesus.

Yeah, 'bout that second part. Watch the Maddow interview with Parnas from tonight. Pence knew. The whole time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
^^^
You're begging for 4 GOP Senators to prevent the trial from being a utter shitshow (which there aren't) but you also think there is a chance for a "just" outcome that would require TWENTY GOP senators to commit political suicide?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, 'bout that second part. Watch the Maddow interview with Parnas from tonight. Pence knew. The whole time.

oh god. what else did he say. also i didnt see the interview yet.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just keep going back to that interview in 2016 when someone asked Trump what he would do if Putin became aggressive. And for all his bluster he squeaked out "uhhhh... i would say, please stop that" or somefuck.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh god. what else did he say. also i didnt see the interview yet.

Pence was entirely in the know. Trump leveraged a pence visit demanding Biden investigation announcement from Zelensky. When Zelensky hemmed and hawed and didn't do it, Pence's trip was canceled, claiming an illness. This left Zelensky sick Pence none the richer.

(The last part there I made up because this in the imPUNchment thread imo)

Pence eventually visited Ukraine on Sep 1, and that's when Bolton got the lowdown about the quid pro quo, told people it was mobster poo poo, and got fired shortly thereafter.

Pence 100% knows. So does Barr, Pompeo, and obviously Trump. If one goes, they all gotta go.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

we haven't considered that Marie Yovanovich is an Oracle type character that had a giant bank of monitors in Kyiv with live surveillance of all conservatives that dare speak out against her

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1217629488869191681

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oh yeah, also, the State Department is hiding from the many journalists asking them "holy poo poo do you have any comment about threats on a US ambassador from trump associates"

https://twitter.com/APDiploWriter/status/1217642779842617344

and has been hiding for > 24 hours now

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eke out posted:

we haven't considered that Marie Yovanovich is an Oracle type character that had a giant bank of monitors in Kyiv with live surveillance of all conservatives that dare speak out against her

what the gently caress insanity is this poo poo.

eke out posted:

oh yeah, also, the State Department is hiding from the many journalists asking them "holy poo poo do you have any comment about threats on a US ambassador from trump associates"

https://twitter.com/APDiploWriter/status/1217642779842617344

and has been hiding for > 24 hours now

to be fare with how gutted it is. they probably have like 7 people total in the state department.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Pander posted:

Pence was entirely in the know. Trump leveraged a pence visit demanding Biden investigation announcement from Zelensky. When Zelensky hemmed and hawed and didn't do it, Pence's trip was canceled, claiming an illness. This left Zelensky sick Pence none the richer.

(The last part there I made up because this in the imPUNchment thread imo)

Pence eventually visited Ukraine on Sep 1, and that's when Bolton got the lowdown about the quid pro quo, told people it was mobster poo poo, and got fired shortly thereafter.

Pence 100% knows. So does Barr, Pompeo, and obviously Trump. If one goes, they all gotta go.

I appreciate this summary but I also want you to know I appreciate that word play.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I legitimately cannot wait until Trump Jr gets perpwalked

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
hahaha i was actually the one being spied on! didn't hear about it? because of the DEEP STATE! why am i conveniently bringing this up now instead of when much earlier, like when she was testifying? uhhh...

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

And let a D waltz in to the White House next year? Trump still stands an excellent chance at re-election. Whoever the republicans would scramble to put up there to run against whoever the D is, after a huge part of the party turns on them for ‘turning on’ Trump, would not stand nearly as good a chance. Republican decisions are, 100% of the time, about gaining and preserving power. They will not turn on Trump until they think that is the best way to preserve power, and I don’t see that happening.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
https://twitter.com/RFERL/status/1217796804982517761

actuallysanta
Dec 23, 2019

by Cyrano4747

ascii genitals posted:

Boy I sure hope Pompeo, Guiliani, Trump, and Barr end up in jail in the end of this. I'm so loving tired of Donald Jenius.

Maybe 1 or 2 will. Maybe. Definitely not Trump. Most likely no one.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

eke out posted:

Dan Bongino is pretty deep in crazytown, isn't he?

Biden's done for now...

*pauses, reads*

Ooohhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

actuallysanta posted:

Maybe 1 or 2 will. Maybe. Definitely not Trump. Most likely no one.

Only 1, Giuliani, and even that's a stretch.