Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Gigli (2003): 0/10

Absolutely miserable and far worse than I thought it would be. Such a misguided idea for a movie, I have no idea why anyone had an interest in making this.

There are two cores of the movie, one is a romantic odd-couple pairing forced by circumstance to care for a mentally challenged teenager, the other is a bumbling gangster comedy taking inspiration from Baby’s Day Out. The two parts mix like oil and water.

Ben Affleck’s character (the titular Gigli) is one-dimensionally an unlikable rear end in a top hat who happens to be a low level criminal that is terrible at his job. Jennifer Lopez is playing the romantic lead in a movie, but also happens to be both a somewhat capable criminal and a tough lesbian that is seduced by the unlikable Gigli (a man), his sole positive quality being that he cares for his mother (but berates her for having to do kind things for her).

Justin Bartha is taking a swing at Rainman and failing hard. It is irresponsible that we let this man get rich off of National Treasure, and subsequently three Hangover movies. How did we let him get away with this.

The direction of the movie outside of those poor choices is just bland and immediately forgettable, like the crew was aiming for the bare minimum of movie production, and I can’t blame them.

edit: Jennifer Lopez really gets the short end of the stick, she did a good job and deserved better than being in this.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Godzilla vs. Hedorah for sure

This was the one I always wound up seeing on TV as a kid

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Egbert Souse posted:

They Live (1988, John Carpenter) [Blu-ray] - 4/5 - this was my last feature for 2019/2010s

Very fitting.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Julius CSAR posted:

I gotta see this thing before it leaves theaters, gently caress.
Well lucky for me the premiere is at the end of February... when I'll be out of country. gently caress.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
1917 is the greatest war film since Saving Private Ryan.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Jack B Nimble posted:

1917 is the greatest war film since Saving Private Ryan.

Visually sure, but not storywise. Similar beats, but SPR had actual depth. I'd rather rewatch 1917 though, for the sheer spectacle

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It was nice subtext that the heroic action at the climax of 1917 has the protagonist weaponless

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah I thought it had a lot of depth emotionally and story-wise and I went in expecting bland story and pure spectacle. It was very much show don't tell but there were some fantastic moments that hit hard:

everything you see in the trenches, the stuff about getting leave being worse than not, the death, the cherry blossoms, the girl with the baby she found, the CO's holding pistols ready to shoot any soldier that wouldn't go over in the climax, etc

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah I thought it had a lot of depth emotionally and story-wise and I went in expecting bland story and pure spectacle. It was very much show don't tell but there were some fantastic moments that hit hard:

everything you see in the trenches, the stuff about getting leave being worse than not, the death, the cherry blossoms, the girl with the baby she found, the CO's holding pistols ready to shoot any soldier that wouldn't go over in the climax, etc

those moments, and a bunch of others are all fantastic, don't get me wrong..but my main beef with it is the same thing most people are saying..it gets limited in scope by the one shot technique in that we don't get to cut away from anything the main character isn't a part of..for me a good war film hinges on the supporting cast and the dynamics in the group as well as their individuals tales and you don't get this with something this stylized..

but it's dope to watch so what the gently caress ever

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sam Mendes is one tacky bitch

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

A24 having possibly its best year ever, awards season back to early 00s normal not noticing

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
See 1917 just for the craft if you're a film nerd, but honestly as someone who just doesn't like war movies, I still liked the story and tension quite a bit, so I think it's worth it even if you don't care about how the sausage is made.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

1917 expends impossible amounts of collaborative craft in production design and photography to the service of a remarkably blank and soulless spectacle package.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Little Women was great; after the first couple scenes I was afraid I'd be lost but the non-linear story telling made sense quickly, which is a testament to how well the movie is put together. Some really nicely shots too. I wouldn't exactly say that the movie doesn't pull it off but they did try to pack an awful lot into the run time, but I guess that happens when adapting a novel.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Hereditary two word review:

nice meltdown

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Portrait of a Lady on Fire is the best film of 2019 that nobody will remember to watch. Only Uncut Gems is on its level for the year.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 15, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
watchmen (3.5 hour cut) 1/5 - hated it all over again ten years after the first go...Jackie Earle Haley should have been in a better version of this..imdb says he was one of the only cast members to have read and been a fan of the book before being cast and you can tell. you know you're about to watch someone miss the entire drat point of the book when the opening scene recreation devolves into a 300 style slow mo fest of a fight sequence

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

top 10 for 2019

10. The Irishman

9. Midsommar

8. Waves

7. Alita: Battle Angel

6. Parasite

5. The Souvenir

4. The Last Black Man In San Francisco

3. Long Day's Journey Into Night

2. Portrait of a Lady on Fire

1. Uncut Gems

top 25 for the 2010s

01. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
02. The Master (2012)
03. mother! (2017)
04. Burning (2018)
05. The Tree of Life (Criterion cut 2018)
06. Moonlight (2016)
07. Uncut Gems (2019)
08. Melancholia (2011)
09. Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)
10. Certified Copy (2010)
11. Upstream Color (2013)
12. Cold War (2018)
13. American Honey (2016)
14. You Were Never Really Here (2017)
15. First Reformed (2017)
16. Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
17. Blue Is The Warmest Colour (2013)
18. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
19. Blue Valentine (2010)
20. Inherent Vice (2014)
21. Scott Pilgrim vs The World (2010)
22. Sicario (2015)
23. Carol (2015)
24. Loveless (2017)
25. Force Majeure (2014)

recently watched

Uncut Gems - 93
1917 - 78
Portrait of a Lady on Fire - 93
Betty Blue - 86
Paris, Texas - 89
Picnic at Hanging Rock - 91
Marriage Story - 87
Do The Right Thing - 90
Videodrome - 88
Knives Out - 70
A Hidden Life - 74
Ford v Ferarri - 70
Haxan / Witchcraft Throughout The Ages - 90
Aniara - 80
Waves - 89
The Irishman - 88
Little Women - 87
The Virgin Suicides (rewatch) - 87
The Royal Tenenbaums (rewatch) - 88
Don’t Look Now - 90
Parasite - 90
Fantastic Fungi - 64
The Peanut Butter Falcon - 69
The Lighthouse - 87
Joker - 78
The Farewell - 85
Ad Astra - 79
The Bakery Girl of Monceiu - 78
Suzanne’s Career - 80
My Night At Maud’s - 89
La Collectionneuse - 87
Claire’s Knee - 79
Love In The Afternoon - 85
Monos - 86
Mr Klein - 90
Synonyms - 85
The Nightingale - 86
The Souvenir - 90
Wildlife - 86
Eighth Grade - 89
Powwaquatsi - 83
Embrace of the Serpent - 86

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 16, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Taking some notes here from the King of Lists.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

top 10 for 2019

10. The Irishman

9. Midsommar

8. Waves

7. Alita: Battle Angel

6. Parasite

5. The Souvenir

4. The Last Black Man In San Francisco

3. Long Day's Journey Into Night

2. Portrait of a Lady on Fire

1. Uncut Gems

top 25 for the 2010s

01. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
02. The Master (2012)
03. mother! (2017)
04. Burning (2018)
05. The Tree of Life (Criterion cut 2018)
06. Moonlight (2016)
07. Uncut Gems (2019)
08. Melancholia (2011)
09. Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)
10. Certified Copy (2010)
11. Upstream Color (2013)
12. Cold War (2018)
13. American Honey (2016)
14. You Were Never Really Here (2017)
15. First Reformed (2017)
16. Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
17. Blue Is The Warmest Colour (2013)
18. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
19. Blue Valentine (2010)
20. Inherent Vice (2014)
21. Scott Pilgrim vs The World (2010)
22. Sicario (2015)
23. Carol (2015)
24. Loveless (2017)
25. Force Majeure (2014)

recently watched

Uncut Gems - 93
1917 - 78
Portrait of a Lady on Fire - 93
Betty Blue - 86
Paris, Texas - 89
Marriage Story - 87
Do The Right Thing - 90
Videodrome - 88
Knives Out - 70
A Hidden Life - 74
Ford v Ferarri - 70
Haxan / Witchcraft Throughout The Ages - 90
Aniara - 80
Waves - 89
The Irishman - 88
Little Women - 87
The Virgin Suicides (rewatch) - 87
The Royal Tenenbaums (rewatch) - 88
Don’t Look Now - 90
Parasite - 90
Fantastic Fungi - 64
The Peanut Butter Falcon - 69
The Lighthouse - 87
Joker - 78
The Farewell - 85
Ad Astra - 79
The Bakery Girl of Monceiu - 78
Suzanne’s Career - 80
My Night At Maud’s - 89
La Collectionneuse - 87
Claire’s Knee - 79
Love In The Afternoon - 85
Monos - 86
Mr Klein - 90
Synonyms - 85
The Nightingale - 86
The Souvenir - 90
Wildlife - 86
Eighth Grade - 89
Powwaquatsi - 83
Embrace of the Serpent - 86

you thought Ad Astra was better than 1917 and Joker?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I never wanted to try to say it in the Ad Astra thread, but I liked Ad Astra. I know the science is bad or whatever, but it's a good movie about human psychology.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

you thought Ad Astra was better than 1917 and Joker?

tbf I don't really think about any of them all that much. I remember it having interesting music at least.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Half of ad Astra is pretty good the other half is as bad as joker

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Ad Astra rules. James Gray rules.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Richard Jewell - 3/5. Good performances, and a story I didn't really know much about. Ruined by Clint "Wait, this guy made Gran Torino?" Eastwood who does the usual subtle direction tricks like having a video clip of Bill Clinton so you know exactly who he means when a main character goes into an attack on the government. Mustn't want people to think its the current government that are bad, no. And the media are just awful people, who gently caress FBI agents for stories.

Also a scene where Sam Rockwell gives some money to Jewell under the promise that he won't turn into an rear end in a top hat if he becomes a copy, which is then followed by multiple scenes of Jewell being a certified rear end in a top hat that the movie doesn't bother to acknowledge.

MinisterSinister
Dec 17, 2019
I had the opportunity to go see either Parasite or Uncut Gems but instead I chose to watch The Rise of Skywalker, a choice that visibly upset the man handing me my popcorn.

In retrospect, the film was such a vapid waste of time and I really wish I had seen Parasite instead (if I had actually known what Parasite was about at the time and the fact that it is one of Bong Joon-Ho's films, I would've seen it, but at the time I thought it was just another decent Korean import which I think people generally overvalue because it's hip and woke to like foreign stuff). Now with 1917 also in theaters, I have too little time and too little money to go see any of these great films, and I basically squandered the one time I had to actually watch this stuff in theaters on a shoddily made consumer-pleasing product that was poorly written, surprisingly poorly acted as parts (Daisy Ridley in particular seemed like she didn't want to be there, and I don't blame her), and was way too fast and crammed with action to present an interesting or coherent plot. It is the cinematic equivalent on jingle keys: a substanceless series of bright lights and loud noises to distract the idiot masses. TROS is a waste of time, and it is one of the few films that made me feel guilty about seeing it. I wish I had given my money to Parasite or Uncut Gems, or just waited for 1917 to finally get a wide release.

If it's any defense, I was originally planning on watching it high, but the dispensaries were medical only that day due to shortages.

I also finally saw Joker and thought it was... okay. Much better movies of this vein have been made, with Taxi Driver being a good example. Joaquin Phoenix saves the movie with a pretty incredible performance, but the actual script is not that well written and fails at its job to make Arthur relatable and sympathetic by making him too obviously unhinged. The conga line of trauma and humiliation he receives also feels cartoonishly exaggerated to the point that the story loses some of its believability. Still, it does its job, and compared to the usual unthinking bland consumerist garbage that superhero movies tend to be, it was a nice departure into something new. I hope it encourages the DCEU to expand away from conventional, "safe" superhero flicks and into more artistic and inspired films. I'd tentatively recommend it, but it isn't quite as good as the public consensus paints it to be.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MinisterSinister posted:

I had the opportunity to go see either Parasite or Uncut Gems but instead I chose to watch The Rise of Skywalker

yuck

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Watched a lot of old films to get ready for new films.

Uncut Gems - 5/5 - Wow. gently caress.

Jojo Rabbit 4/5 - Liked it both more and less than I thought it would. Its sense of humor was very much mine.

Knives Out 4/5

Thor Ragnarok (rewatch) 4/5

Rise of Skywalker 3/5

Danger Close 3/5

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (rewatch) 4/5 - On rewatch you see that very little is actually wasted. Yes it's slow and patient but every scene is building towards something later on. Also knowing that everything turns out okay makes high Brad Pitt finger gunning the Manson Family member darkly funny.

Goodfellas 5/5 - All my life I wanted to be a gangster.

Four Christmases 2/5

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Uncut Gems - 5/5 - Wow. gently caress.

lol hell yeah

MinisterSinister
Dec 17, 2019

I know. I feel immense shame.

To be fair, I was originally going to see it high, and both Parasite and Uncut Gems sound very much like sober movies, so that was out of the question.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

uncut gems made me feel like i was high in the anxiety it gave me so maybe a good call

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MinisterSinister posted:

I know. I feel immense shame.

To be fair, I was originally going to see it high, and both Parasite and Uncut Gems sound very much like sober movies, so that was out of the question.

Uncut Gems is a get hosed up movie.

When we did a private screening everyone was drunk and stoned out of their mind. It is an immensely satisfying tour of hyperstimulation.

edit; Parasite is a bit more of a sober movie

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Uncut Gems is a get hosed up movie.

When we did a private screening everyone was drunk and stoned out of their mind. It is an immensely satisfying tour of hyperstimulation.

edit; Parasite is a bit more of a sober movie

i can't watch subtitled things high, just doesn't work for me. nothing retains..same with books. jealous of anyone that can though

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

i can't watch subtitled things high, just doesn't work for me. nothing retains..same with books. jealous of anyone that can though

Same. Pot ain't my drug for that reason. I read and viddy films pretty well on booze tho.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

In honor of MLK day, and avoiding Richmond due to the gun protests, I and some of my friends had a 'musicals Monday'.

The Lion King (2019): C+
The CGI is almost disturbingly good, and all the actors do a pretty good job. But given my choice of the two I'd choose the 1994 original. I'm not sure why, other than "more money", they felt like they had to remake this movie. My friends were not terribly happy with the abbreviated (and half-sung, half-spoken) "Be Prepared", but I actually thought it was a fairly good sequence. Parts like that felt a lot more sinister and dangerous than the original.

Into The Woods (2014, possible rewatch?): B
Interesting movie. I liked all of the different fairy tales intersecting into a single unified story. Thought the "your mom isn't here so who's to tell what's right and wrong?" song was a bit....interesting in more modern times.

Robin Hood: Men In Tights (1993): C+/B-
Had some really funny bits (the "patriot arrow" was so dumb it looped around to being hilarious), but you can tell Brooks was getting some age on him. Some of the jokes - especially the 'accidentally revealing the film crew' - were stale and milked too much to be funny. There was also a bit too much of a sense of being in a comedy, if that makes sense. Part of what makes a film like Airplane! or Blazing Saddles funny is the fact that the characters play things straight; they don't act like they're in a comedy film and deliberately trying to milk the laughs. Cary Elwes is great but at times he milked it a bit. The Patrick Stewart cameo was great and he was clearly having a great time.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 21, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Weathering With You - 4/5 - I thought it was very sweet and I really bought into the connection of the characters thanks to their shared circumstances and struggles. I'm not an anime person at all and still saw that this was pretty standard magical girl trope stuff, but the previously mentioned grounded stuff made the film work. Some of the scenes were gorgeous, but would be followed immediately by awful 3d segments that looked like simcity 2000, which was pretty jarring. Miyazaki visuals this is not, but there were still moments.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just from your words I had a feeling this would be related to "Your Name." which was excellent an beautiful, so I'm definitely gonna make room for this.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It fucken rules, doesn’t it?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

It fucken rules, doesn’t it?

I had no idea!

For her birthday I gave my sister the deluxe criterion blu that includes the novel as it's her favorite movie. Then somewhere down the line I got it through my skull that I should borrow it and watch it. Now I need to read the book, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinisterSinister
Dec 17, 2019
I finally saw Midsommar since it is now on Amazon. I couldn't finish it.

"Because it was too scary?" you ask. No, because I loving hated it.

I gave it a shot, I really did, but unlike Hereditary I couldn't see this one through to the end. It is so incredibly loving predictable. I saw every plot point coming barely 20 minutes in. I'm down for foreshadowing and all, but the film is so blatant and unsubtle with it, with long lingering shots that may as well have a neon sign on them reading "THIS WILL BE IMPORTANT LATER."

The sense of tension and unease the film tries to conjure just didn't work, partly because Hereditary already wore me out on Ari Aster's bag of tricks, but mostly because I found it hard to take the setting seriously. Sweden is, like, the least scary place on Earth. I couldn't think of a less foreboding country to set your movie in if I tried. Even Canada is scarier. Hell, an inbred Canadian cult sounds far more realistic than a Swedish one.

I disliked Hereditary as well, but for different reasons. Namely, I found that all the characters in that were weird and unrelatable for various reasons: weird hobbies, weird behaviors, and weird looks (the son in particular looks to be about 30 but he's supposed to be a teen), plus the dad had such a weird accent and looked so little like his children that I thought they'd reveal that he was a step dad or something, but no, it was just terrible casting. Unrelatable characters sink a horror movie, since to feel dread and tension, I have to be able to empathize with the characters as people and see myself in their shoes, or at the very least like the characters enough that I don't want terrible things to happen to them.

Midsommar rectified this by making the characters more relatable and age appropriate, for the most part. That kid from Black Mirror appears in the film as is such a caricature of the "Ugly American" tourist that it took me out of the film anytime he was involved. And unfortunately, unlike Hereditary, they lapse into "horror movie stupidity syndrome" very rapidly, which disconnects the audience from any sympathy.

Furthermore, Ari Aster continues the trend of thinking that weird = scary. Without getting into spoilers, most of the horror seems like it is supposed to stem from the offbeat nature of the community/cult, but I found myself mostly laughing at it or rolling my eyes at the obvious attempts to make them seem "foreign."

Moreover, I find the film to be slightly offensive, because it unashamedly adds itself to the long, sad list of "Europeans sure are scary!" films that scamper around Hostel. Europeans aren't scary. Okay, well, revise that, some Europeans are scary, but Northern Europeans are not scary. Swedes least of all. If anything, I would've found the movie more believable, relatable, and frightening if it took place in rural America, or maybe Romania or some other densely forested European backwater (Sorry Romanians but you know I'm right).

I know it is customary to give some kind of score but I usually just like to do recommendations. In this case, if you liked Hereditary, you'll probably find Midsommar okayish, but the predictability of it dampens the impact considerably, whereas I had no idea what to expect with Hereditary. If Hereditary wasn't your cup of tea, you'll probably loving hate Midsommar, and see it as a 3 hour waste of time. I know I did, hence why I cut my losses after 2 and a half hours in.