Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I can't believe it's 1918 and a woman like Mata Hari is going completely unmentioned! She's got a higher +/- than any of those jamokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Let's be honest. Let's say what everyone is thinking. The Western Conference is more unbalanced and exploitative right now than the Berlin Conference. The play of Golden State is more cruel and inhumanitarian than the Congo Free State, and Steve Kerr is responsible for more atrocities than King Leopold. "Heart of Darkness" is actually referring to the 8-15th seeds in the West right now.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Nah, Bill Simmons would be pro-Imperialism.

He'd be talking about all of the innovations the Belgians are making in Africa, just like James Harden and his three point + foul innovation.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

habeasdorkus posted:

Nah, Bill Simmons would be pro-Imperialism.

He'd be talking about all of the innovations the Belgians are making in Africa, just like James Harden and his three point + foul innovation.

Harden's pot stirring celebration is actually about processing natural rubber.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Given Russillo's interest in George Washington, it wouldn't be the biggest surprise in the world to see The Ringer's Rewarrables, presented by State Farm.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Lmao

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I heard there's a clause in Ben McLemore's contract that if, at the end of the season, his 3 Point % is less than 35%, they'll cut off his left hand. Rumor has it that's what Gerald Green's been out with.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Salvor_Hardin posted:

As he heats up the vulcanization process can occur.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
After Russia bowed out of WW1 the Allies performed better - Is Russa the new Ewing: my podcast.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

In actual good The Ringer content, Bryan Curtis on Stuart Scott, five years after Scotts death.

Five years?! Geez :smith:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

harperdc posted:

In actual good The Ringer content, Bryan Curtis on Stuart Scott, five years after Scotts death.

Five years?! Geez :smith:

Every time I flip my pillow over at night (so like at least twice before I fall asleep) I think to myself "cool as the other side of the pillow."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Joe Posnanski's Baseball 100 is a delight. He's dead on that Robin Roberts is perhaps the most underrated pitchers of all time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

habeasdorkus posted:

Joe Posnanski's Baseball 100 is a delight. He's dead on that Robin Roberts is perhaps the most underrated pitchers of all time.

Roberts was also instrumental in the genesis of the MLBPA and getting Marvin Miller hired.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Woah, did not know that.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

GoutPatrol posted:

How much did you buy it for

How much would you sell it for

Late reply but it was a gift from my grandfather haha. He got it signed at dickie vs snowbird rear end breakfast spot in Sarasota or Tampa, cant remember which. Obviously its priceless to me

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

BWV posted:

Gun to your head, does The Black Hand win the Dion Waiters award or do you think that goes to the Red Baron, who when you think about it, was really like Pedro in 02/03. Listen, I'm not afraid to say it (and I did by the way during my retro live blog of 1917) but Verdun was really one of the all time "how many men do you really need" moments. People think it's about depth but one of my first rules of world waring is that you should always bet on the side with the tallest fortifications. It's like common sense and any 18 year old who plays Total War knows that. I had Clemenceau on the pod and he basically said that they weren't going to quit once they adopted that "nobody believes in us " energy.

This just made me imagine a Bill Simmons/Dan Carlin crossover and I hate it

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

does FDR's death fall under the Ewing Theory

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

habeasdorkus posted:

Every time I flip my pillow over at night (so like at least twice before I fall asleep) I think to myself "cool as the other side of the pillow."

I do the exact same thing! So yes, I think about Stuart Scott at least once a night before I go to sleep.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spoeank posted:

does FDR's death fall under the Ewing Theory

This is far better than mine.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dan Carlin proceeds to go on a 20 minute tangent about Rajon Rondo's superlative mathematics skills.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Dan Carlin proceeds to go on a 20 minute tangent about Rajon Rondo's superlative mathematics skills.

I would... actually be OK with that.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

habeasdorkus posted:

I would... actually be OK with that.

could you imagine

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does Ewing theory apply to Stalin?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Does Ewing theory apply to Stalin?

No that's more of him taking Lenin's corner after he died. Like when MJ was suspended by David Stern and Hakeem took over. Or like when Avon went to jail and Marlo now ran the west side.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BWV posted:

No that's more of him taking Lenin's corner after he died. Like when MJ was suspended by David Stern and Hakeem took over. Or like when Avon went to jail and Marlo now ran the west side.

I read this in an Ice T voice and now I hate you for it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Stalin (to Trotsky): The game has not changed, comrade. It has just gotten more fierce.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

habeasdorkus posted:

Stalin (to Trotsky): The game has not changed, comrade. It has just gotten more fierce.

Trotsky, looking up to the man with the ice pick: get on with it motherfu

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1218309931314634754

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

This is probably more of an anti Bill Simmons post, but I loving cannot take Dan Carlin's Hardcore Horsetery. BORING. DUMB. WRONG. the same goes for that age of napoleon podcast everyone likes. Dumb! Dont like it! Bad voice! Boring!

I didn't listen to Bill Simmons for a year or so and I've started listening to his book of basketball 2.0 podcasts. They're alright. I just don't want to hear any of the ringer's crew of nerd voice guys talking about the NBA. Don't want to hear it. Their football podcast is great, but the NBA podcast is awful

Nobody asked for my opinion and I'm sorry if I've caused offense to any ringer staffers reading this

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Just so long as you don't say a got drat word against Mike Duncan, we're cool.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

habeasdorkus posted:

Just so long as you don't say a got drat word against Mike Duncan, we're cool.

:hai:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is probably more of an anti Bill Simmons post, but I loving cannot take Dan Carlin's Hardcore Horsetery. BORING. DUMB. WRONG. the same goes for that age of napoleon podcast everyone likes. Dumb! Dont like it! Bad voice! Boring!

I didn't listen to Bill Simmons for a year or so and I've started listening to his book of basketball 2.0 podcasts. They're alright. I just don't want to hear any of the ringer's crew of nerd voice guys talking about the NBA. Don't want to hear it. Their football podcast is great, but the NBA podcast is awful

Nobody asked for my opinion and I'm sorry if I've caused offense to any ringer staffers reading this

Dan would be fine if he had an editor or something.

As it stands its really hard to listen to him drone on and on without really saying anything

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

Their NBA coverage is awful aside from Shea and Netw3rk making jokes.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 18, 2020

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
A lot of their high-profile writers in general just can't help gush about every single player in every league, and the writing and podcasting suffers for it. There are times when I just switch off the podcasts because every criticism is couched with "don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE (Player XYZ)" and it gets really grating. They need to have a little more conviction with their takes, right or wrong.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/1218573826318974976?s=19

THE SECRET

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Players aren't better in this era, they just don't care enough about the team

-thing that has been said about literally every era.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
If theres anything reading Lords of the Realm has taught me, its that the American public will always side with capital over labor, literally always irrespective of era. Some of those stories from the early days were ridiculous

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Their NBA coverage is awful aside from Shea and Netw3rk making jokes.

I've skipped over The Ringer for the past year or so except with longer-form stuff (like earlier Bryan Curtis) or specific writers, and yeah, both Shea and Concepcion are Real Good At This.

very glad I got an Athletic subscription, it's been worth the money if only for a much better website experience (since it's all ad-free browsing by default).

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
A bit behind here but the stuff about ESPN scaling back baseball coverage feels very much reminiscent to how they slowly peeled back from hockey in the early 90s to late 90s/early 2000s. Where it went from multiple hockey games a week to one and having heavy espn coverage on the fledgling ESPN 2 for a period. Also they go from carrying playoff hockey to nothing.

Right now I believe Fox has the World Series for another year and will likely try to secure long term bids. They have all Star rights, a four or five night a week highlight show. Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I kinda doubt they'd get out of baseball entirely just because it fills time during an otherwise dead period of the sports calendar