Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Niric posted:

There's a lot to parse in this article, both good and bad, but I thought this was an interesting take even though there's an awful lot to disagree with. It seems to come from a Brexit & Blue Labour sympathetic position, so there's certainly plenty of arguable and downright infuriating assumptions and statements, but the account of centrism and its electoral failings in particular I thought was well made, and it's worth reading the whole thing to get a slightly different analysis that's critical of both liberal centrism and Corbyn-style leftism.

Gray doesn't quite say this, but when he's talking about the New Labour project I think he touches on something that really doesn't get mentioned at all by people harking back to Blair: the tactic of directly and explicitly bringing the professional middle classes into your project only works when they aren't already your core vote. Labour's electoral coalition, and electoral problems, are not the same in 2020 as they were in 1992 (or 1987, or 1983)

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/01/why-left-keeps-losing

quote:

While there will be nothing like a fully federal system, devolution will doubtless go further. Unending discussion of the break-up of the UK is a talking cure for depressed progressives, not realistic analysis.
I always wonder why people are so sure this won't happen. Given the number of other places that Britain pushed federalism on as a solution to different provinces with different faiths and legal codes, or different ethnic factions with differing concerns, or rural vs. industrial regions, it seems very weird to hold a federalism for thee but not for me line when it comes to the union at home.

quote:

If only people aged between 18 and 24 had voted in the general election, Corbyn would have won an enormous majority. No doubt this is partly because of Corbyn’s promise to abolish student tuition fees and the difficulties young people face in the housing and jobs markets. But their support for Corbyn is also a by-product of beliefs and values they have absorbed at school and university. According to the progressive ideology that has been instilled in them, the West is uniquely malignant, the ultimate source of injustice and oppression throughout the world, and Western power and values essentially illegitimate.
I wonder when he thinks that started happening, because it sure as hell wasn't my experience of being 18.

quote:

Humanities and social sciences teaching has been largely shaped by progressive thinking for generations, though other perspectives were previously tolerated. The metamorphosis of universities into centres of censorship and indoctrination is a more recent development, and with the expansion of higher education it has become politically significant. By over-enlarging the university system, Blair created the constituency that enabled the Corbynites to displace New Labour. No longer mainly a cult of intellectuals, as in Orwell’s time, progressivism has become the unthinking faith of millions of graduates.
Ohh, they're one of those. :jerkbag:

quote:

The resistance to progressivism in social matters is focused chiefly on law and order and immigration. There is no detectable enthusiasm for the restoration of traditional family structures or sexual mores. Working-class voters want security and respect, not a wholly different form of life.
But both of those can trivially be shown to be misplaced, because they might feel good but they don't work. If the so-called 'traditional working class' prefer Methodism to Hinduism in their Sunday worship that's one thing, but lawnorder and closed borders is more like preferring trepanning to tramadol for headache relief in terms of actual evidence. We need to look at what people supposedly want, security and respect, and figure out vectors to deliver that, not things like stop and search that do not work, or drumming up a nightmare machine about things that are extremely unlikely to harm them (like terrorism) while ignoring things that are likely to harm them (like a closed cardiac unit).

quote:

For the two wings of British progressivism – liberal centrism and Corbynite leftism – the election has been a profound shock. It is almost as if there was something in the contemporary scene they have failed to comprehend. They regard themselves as the embodiment of advancing modernity. Yet the pattern they imagined in history shows no signs of emerging. Any tendency to gradual improvement has given way to kaleidoscopic flux. Rather than tending towards some rational harmony, values are plural and contending.

quote:

Liberal or Corbynite, the core of the progressivist cult is the belief that the values that have guided human civilisation to date, especially in the West, need to be junked.
These two directly contradict each other, lol.

e: 1981 brought us riots in Brixton, Toxteth, Handsworth, Chapeltown, and Moss Side. Progressivism was probably to blame.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

We're letting Luton off far too easily in the terrible airport stakes. Somehow exists in the quantum state of always being far too crowded, while also being a loving trek from any point A to B.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1217000076264050688
How does it keep getting stupider?!?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Events have overtaken. Big Ben won't be Bonging for Brexit.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brexit-day-big-ben-elizabeth-tower-chimes-fundraiser-120708446.html

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Results of the Momentum poll are in, 70% for backing RLB & a whopping 52% for Rayner (will of the people &c)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
There's an airport in China I went to once where they built the entire terminal in just one big straight line. It didn't really make the gates easy to get to but it was somehow impressive

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Anyway is it illegal to project an image of a penis on a national monument, asking for a friend

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Not sure if this was posted already, but:

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/asa-winstanley/we-slaughtered-jeremy-corbyn-says-israel-lobbyist

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

BizarroAzrael posted:

People keep talking up Singapore Changi airport, but I'm not clear on why besides a water feature, but I guess I'll see in March.

It literally has TWO butterfly farms that you can visit on airside, also, there is an outdoor smoking terrace if you want a puff (just being able to get outside can be nice though).

Oh and the 'water feature' happens to be a koi carp pond, pretty impressive for an airport really!

TRIXNET fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 16, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Guavanaut posted:

1st-10th they came for the SEO experts.

This is a good joke.

Also at my last UK job (not actually my last job now - I lost my new job in Canada - well, technically I resigned, because they were wankers) my boss asked me "How do you find a good SEO person?".

Obviously the response is to just google "SEO".

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

There's an airport in China I went to once where they built the entire terminal in just one big straight line. It didn't really make the gates easy to get to but it was somehow impressive

Dubai airport is like this too, I once had a ~12 hour layover there on the way back from Australia and it took me half an hour to walk from one end to the other

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

We're letting Luton off far too easily in the terrible airport stakes. Somehow exists in the quantum state of always being far too crowded, while also being a loving trek from any point A to B.

Eh. Luton's pretty inoffensive. Easier to get to from lots of places than either London or Birmingham airports.

Calling it "London Luton" is a piss take, though.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Little regional airports are the best airports. Southampton is pretty great; it takes less than five minutes to walk from one end of the place to the other and the gates are all in one big room. And it has a train station right there.

Easter Island airport has one gate, no obnoxious luxury shops, and an overall extremely relaxed attitude.

Kansai International in Osaka is pretty big and a bit of a weird layout but it's built on an artificial island and the long rail bridge out to it, especially on the misty overcast day I was there, has extremely strong Myst vibes.

I have a lot of thoughts about airports.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Borrovan posted:

Results of the Momentum poll are in, 70% for backing RLB & a whopping 52% for Rayner (will of the people &c)

Interested to know how the also-rans scored, if you have those numbers.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Interested to know how the also-rans scored, if you have those numbers.

Contentiously, they just asked "should we back RLB/Rayner y/n"

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Contentiously, they just asked "should we back RLB/Rayner y/n"

Was it even a question that Momentum would back the Continuity Corbyn Candidate?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

If you ever go to a country where squat toilets are the norm, look on the seat of a western style-toilet for bootprints where the locals have overcome, adapted and thrived (and squatted)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My favourite airport is Katmandu airport because it's just so relaxing to know that pilots have to have special training to land there, and it's exciting seeing all those mountains zip by as your plane carefully snuggles into the runway

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I know the press never really challenged the Tories, but we are some how entering an even worse stage.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
All this talk of airports is making me think of some of the stuff my parents told me about flying in the pre-9/11 world and it sounds just so incredibly chilled compared to now. My first flight was sometime just after they beefed up all the theatre of security.

Very much want to get the plane up to Barra at some point as it's one of the only places in the world a commercial airport uses a beach as a runway. The departure lounge is literally a couple of tables in what looks like a church hall and the only scheduled service is to and from Glasgow lol

My favourite airport is Katmandu airport because it's just so relaxing to know that pilots have to have special training to land there, and it's exciting seeing all those mountains zip by as your plane carefully snuggles into the runway

It's between that and St Helena, where they decided to build the thing on a rocky outcrop which in the mid-atlantic had predictable results - pretty hair raising!

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 16, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

I haven't flown into it, but Queenstown airport in NZ must also be pretty exciting because on one of the roads in, you can look aross the mountain valley and see airliners flying past below you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Eh. Luton's pretty inoffensive. Easier to get to from lots of places than either London or Birmingham airports.

Calling it "London Luton" is a piss take, though.

Not compared to "London Southend" and "London Oxford" it isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbAal7jIWQ4

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The sycophancy is deeply disturbing, as is the open acceptance that loving 500 grand is something the coutnry couldn't just. Pay.

Like, 500 grand is the kind of money I personally could probably have accessed at one point, had I remained in full time work.

It's such a pittance they should be laughing him out of the room when he say we need to loving crowdfund it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
can someone who knows about trains tell me why the district line no longer goes to southend

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Payndz posted:

I haven't flown into it, but Queenstown airport in NZ must also be pretty exciting because on one of the roads in, you can look aross the mountain valley and see airliners flying past below you.

Gibraltar is quite fun, it has a level crossing because the runway goes across the only road on/off the rock.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

can someone who knows about trains tell me why the district line no longer goes to southend

Yes. It never did. Hope this helps.

e: Less sarcastically, while the District and Metropolitan Railway did once share some tracks with the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway to get their services out into Essex (from Bromley-by-Bow to Upminster) they built their own tracks alongside almost immediately and there's no interchange between the two, and running four-rail electrification all the way out there would be a stupendous waste of time and money particularly when there's cross-platform interchange at four stations along the way and the completely different running conditions between metro and commuter rail services.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 16, 2020

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
On that subject, what's going to happen with Gibraltar in our glorious Brexit future?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yes. It never did. Hope this helps.

it did at one point apparently, but only seasonally

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

sinky posted:

On that subject, what's going to happen with Gibraltar in our glorious Brexit future?

IIRC the withdrawal agreement was pretty vague last time I checked, the usual platitudes about making sure there won't be a hard border, but without any mechanism as to how.

But it will undoubtedly become a huge issue when the fash need something else to distract the gammons with.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

The Second World War.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

it did at one point apparently, but only seasonally

Right, but see my expansion of the answer - they could only do that in the days when the District Line was steam-powered, as soon as it was electrified there was no way of running a direct service.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right, but see my expansion of the answer - they could only do that in the days when the District Line was steam-powered, as soon as it was electrified there was no way of running a direct service.

Ah I missed that, thanks. I saw an article on it a few months back and all the transit chat reminded me.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sinky posted:

Saw it off and drag it into the Irish Sea to be a mid-point for the Boris Bridge

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International in Mumbai is the nicest airport I've ever been in. They have signs at the entrance saying something like 'this is a quiet airport, no announcements, please respect other people's tranquility'. The layout is wide and scattered with sofas and things to sit on, the lighting is soft and it has at least one garden populated with local vegetation inside. Everyone going in visibly relaxes, and the materials used are great at reducing noise. It's a huge difference from the hair-raising trip to get there from the center of Mumbai which probably also helps.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

thespaceinvader posted:

The sycophancy is deeply disturbing, as is the open acceptance that loving 500 grand is something the coutnry couldn't just. Pay.

Like, 500 grand is the kind of money I personally could probably have accessed at one point, had I remained in full time work.

It's such a pittance they should be laughing him out of the room when he say we need to loving crowdfund it.
Didn't Boris Johnson himself literally call a half-million quid salary for a part time job a "pittance", or "pocket money" or something? Or was it Gideon

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Ah I missed that, thanks. I saw an article on it a few months back and all the transit chat reminded me.

I mean I suppose, technically, they could do something like the North London Line split electrification - the LTS uses overhead electrification so they could lay a third and fourth rail to allow the DC-powered District Line stock to run through, but there's not really any point given the massive differences in use (and hence everything from timetabling to the acceleration and top speeds of the trains) between a metro system and a commuter heavy-rail system.

At one point there was a plan to do the opposite - to allow the LTS to use the District/Met Line tracks to get to new platforms at Liverpool Street and/or Moorgate, because Fenchurch Street is kind of in a poo poo position in terms of actual onward travel, but the whole problem was solved much more cheaply with the DLR Bank extension.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Borrovan posted:

Didn't Boris Johnson himself literally call a half-million quid salary for a part time job a "pittance", or "pocket money" or something? Or was it Gideon
"Chicken feed", although it was "only" a quarter-mil.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Borrovan posted:

Whether he did or not, he did, in much the same way as David Cameron hosed a dead pig's head.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Apparently they kept doing it until 1939 by switching the locomotive out at Barking, but I guess during post-war austerity it was easier to switch the passengers out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Payndz posted:

"Chicken feed", although it was "only" a quarter-mil.
Well in sure our independent free press won't allow such flagrant hypocrisy to go uncalled :liberalsay: